Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore- should Turkey join the EU???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: More- should Turkey join the EU???
    Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 20:51

I appreciate the sensible opinions that you all have expressed recently. Poirot, nice to hear of your courteous stance. Alp Arslan and Erci you have presented your views from the heart. You have my respect for that. As far as a war with Greece or Cyprus, I find that hard to imagine. Both countries have sensitive issues with eachother, but I do believe that without either one instigating any territorial aggression towards the other that those issues would be either left unresolved or only argued over.

Whether Turkey is even accepted to the table (at this rate the Austrians won't accept it) or not is still tenuous.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 19:28
Poirot thanks mate.We all know there are people who support  Turkey in Europe.but they are minority you know it, we know it.

One must be blind to see EU is the only solution.It's not.There are countries which not EU members, even in Europe and they do alright without it.What we will miss that only EU subsidies yet we did not recieve 1 cent so far.

What you and even some Turks fail to see is that EU is a cultural and economical union found on Christian roots.(I don't mean a christian club)now culturely I don't accept myself as European nor I'm christian.that means I'm forcing myself where I don't belong, where I have no place.Our relations with Europe should have limits.Our dance was over some centuries ago and pushing it will make it worse.You can not start a Mercedes-Benz with Diesel oil.It will start for sure but it won't work right.I have no problem With European countries and I respect their desicion cos they have every right to defend their union.
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by poirot

I disagree.  I think Turkey's best route is to enter the EU.

Brussels welcome you!  Well, at least one person in Brussels welcome you!

Thank you very much Poirot.

But it is a fact that very big majority of European people do not want Turkey inside EU. We do not have anything to say but respect them. We will got good relations with EU. We will still be in alliances with them such as NATO.

You have to see that starting negotiations is nothing. There will be referandum about Turkey's entrence let us say 20 years later when negotiations end. Then we will be refused anyway. In that case I cannot even imagine what will be the outcome of this. The biggest possibility is a war between Cyprus and Turkey and Greece since Turkey will give all they wanted to be a member.  Europe is not honest, I do not trust them.

So this nonsense adventure should end now. We will always keep our secular, democratic state forever. Some idiot Turkish politicians and journalists warn Europe that if Turkey cannot enter into EU radical Islam will gain too much strenght. No this is not true. We have a deep rooted strong state and enough public support to preserve it in line with Ataturk's ideals and for the best benefits of people of Turkey.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 17:06
Originally posted by azimuth

Originally posted by Maju

. I'd like to belong to a Union that could talk to US and other giants on one-to-one terms, instead political union is not going farther but has got stopped. I think Britain (and maybe others) should get out of EU: it's sabotaging Europeism from inside. I also think that any new member should have clear Europeist intentions. In the end, I'd like a more political and less just free-trade Union.

by Europeist intentions you mean a Union as strong as the US or even stronger?

and as i see it there are some members are pro US more than the EU itself.

I'd plainly kick them out. That's clear in the case of the UK and it may affect other countries such as Sweden, Denmark and Poland. We need a strong European Union, not the EFTA (which is deceased, you know). We need to be able to stand as United Europeans in the world and we need a democratic confederation for that.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 13:36

I disagree.  I think Turkey's best route is to enter the EU.

Brussels welcome you!  Well, at least one person in Brussels welcome you!

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 12:37

anyway about Turkey, i think Turkey is starting to get bored of EU and started making some relation improvement with the eastern regions,

the below picture of the Turkish and Emirates officials signing an investment agreements.

Very nice news.

Turkey should improve its relations with every countries of the world.  But we have neglected our relations with Islamic world. The relations should be much better.

Turkey should stay away from the EU. But the economical relations between the two parts should remain the same.  We have focused too much with EU.

EU is a declining power and in the future this trend will continue. They will never compete with the rest of the world; Asia-Pasific, Euroasia (Russia, Turkic republics, India and Pakistan) and USA.

We will be on loosers side if we eneter into EU.

There is a growing opposition against the membership to EU in Turkey and hopefully we will never enter into nonsense union which is alien to our cultures and values.....

NO TO EUROPEAN UNION !!!!!!!

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 03:03

Originally posted by Maju

. I'd like to belong to a Union that could talk to US and other giants on one-to-one terms, instead political union is not going farther but has got stopped. I think Britain (and maybe others) should get out of EU: it's sabotaging Europeism from inside. I also think that any new member should have clear Europeist intentions. In the end, I'd like a more political and less just free-trade Union.

by Europeist intentions you mean a Union as strong as the US or even stronger?

and as i see it there are some members are pro US more than the EU itself.

anyway about Turkey, i think Turkey is starting to get bored of EU and started making some relation improvement with the eastern regions,

the below picture of the Turkish and Emirates officials signing an investment agreements.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 01:43
I think Turkey would benefit economically by joining the EU.Most Turks want to join the EU.The question should be "R the european nations willing to include Turkey in the EU".
Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 01:18

so how good is the EU union?

So-so.

It's godd that you can forget about political borders most of the time, what is specially interesting if you belong to a nation divided between two EU countries like myself.

But, as now everything seems to be only about free market and nothing else, it's losing part of its appeal (at least for me). The process of European unification has got diluted in the proccess of European expansion, what is ot good either. I'd like to belong to a Union that could talk to US and other giants on one-to-one terms, instead political union is not going farther but has got stopped. I think Britain (and maybe others) should get out of EU: it's sabotaging Europeism from inside. I also think that any new member should have clear Europeist intentions. In the end, I'd like a more political and less just free-trade Union.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 00:49

That is indeed very interesting.

Never thought of ranking countries according to potentials and resources. muy interesante.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 23:57

My own unique evaluation.  Again, the 2nd and 3rd tier can be flipped, depending on your own criteria.

I tend to rank larger countries with more resources higher than smaller countries that may be more powerful economically.

Hence, Brazil over Japan.  If Japan gets into a war, yen would simply evaporate.  Brazil is more self-sufficient.

And Russia over Germany is a tough choice, but Russia gets the nod because it has more resources and more potential, despite a less prosperous economy.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 23:20
Originally posted by poirot

1st Tier: United States

2nd Tier: Russia, China, India, Brazil

3rd Tier: Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Australia, Argentina, etc

4th Tier: Italy, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Mexico, Iran, Pakistan, etc

That is very interesting Poirot. How did you get Japan lower to Brazil! or Spain lower to Argentina? or Germany lower to Russia! I would love to know your criterias for that evaluation .

Without any doubts, Turkey is viewed as a threat to the carefully arranged status of the EU. My expectation, Turkey's application will not be rejected (just out of diplomacy) but will be delayed as typical.

Interesting though, how long Turkey will stand its grounds to EU tough demands especially recognizing Cyprus?

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 22:57

so how good is the EU union?

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 22:34

I  Canada

Belgium is in the ............................................8th Tier

AAAAAAAAAA

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 19:22
Canada should be in 4th maybe 5th, since size doesn't matter 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 19:14
Whats "Nth tier"? Why is Argentine or Australia in the 3rd rank and Italy and Spain in the 4th? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 18:19

This is an interesting way of evaluation! Where does Belgium stand in it?

Btw, that was your 666th post

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 18:09

Right now, I consider Turkey to be a fourth tier country.  It is on its way to becoming a thrid tier country.  Joining the EU may help facilitate that process.  Being a partner instead of full member is not satisfactory, but nevertheless a first step.

In my humble opinion, the following is how I rank countries.  Note: this is my personal overall evaluation and not necesarily adopted by everyone.  Personally I rank size, potential, and resources above average standard of living (but 2nd and 3rd can be flipped depending on your own criteria).

1st Tier: United States

2nd Tier: Russia, China, India, Brazil

3rd Tier: Britain, France, Germany, Japan, Canada, Australia, Argentina, etc

4th Tier: Italy, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, Mexico, Iran, Pakistan, etc

AAAAAAAAAA

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:27

----------

eaglecap partner status rather than full membership will only benefit EU.We already have some kind of agreement close to that status right now,  what more can we gain? right now nothing! and it is already stated by Turkiye we will not accept anything but full membership.(We're talking about if Turkiye has done everything EU ask for.This is the condition of the full membership.When Turkey's fulfiled all the requirements of union if it still gets the some kind of status rather than full membership like any other candidate this will be so unfair, it's unacceptable.)
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:10
erci, yeah yeah, stop beutifying the Kurdish question. Everybody knows how it is in Turkey...
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>