Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goguri, Korean or Chinese?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goguri, Korean or Chinese?
    Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 08:41
Koguryo's view under the sky includes Baekje and Silla and couple others..
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 01:35
related doesn't mean the same, in Nurhachi's eyes the Ming state is also related to Chosun, in fact thats what Chosun claims itself. I'm merely trying to distinguish the difference between nation and ethnicity as well as heritage.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 23:41
I disagree...at least from Baekje's standpoint, Gogureyo was a related kingdom...did they hate Goguryeo?  Yea they did...but they still saw them as being related.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 21:42

"Ummm...no.  More number doen't mean that they were as effective."

No more number did mean they were more effective. Or else Silla would have fallen.

"I don't remember any part in any history book that said Koguryo was a vassal of Han.  "

"Koguryo never was a vassal to Han...to Wei..yes..for a bit...and then they betrayed them in battle or something to the sort. "

Both Han shu mentioned it, Koguryo was a vassal since its existence.

"169 AD  The king was actually an idiot who killed his brother to get into throne.  He also surrendered without raising a sword like a real king.  I don't expect much from that king."

The point is that when you asked when Koguryo was almost conquered by the Han I gave a reply from a section in Hou Han Shu.

"By yen, you mean ()? "

Can't read the symbol. The Yen I'm mentioning is Muron Yen. Whose culture is quite different, but whats your point of cultural similarily?

"Actually primary sources confirm Koguryo as being closer to Silla/Pekjae compared to China.  Some Chinese sources you want to revise:

, , <Foreign/South histoyry 54- bekjae>"

I never said anything about cultural similarity, my point is Koguryo was viewed as a different nation than Silla and Paekche during the time, no common term is used to describe either them as one. Why don't you also give the title of the source.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 15:13
Koguryo never was a vassal to Han...to Wei..yes..for a bit...and then they betrayed them in battle or something to the sort.  I think Shilla used to be Koguryo's vassal too...
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 15:06

It was toppled by both armies with Tang contributing significantly more.

Ummm...no.  More number doen't mean that they were as effective.

Koguryo was considered, "Korean" or at least part or Koryo (Gaoli) history as it was included in Samguk Yusa.  Korea was eventually unfied...I don't know where you get that Korea never was unified...

Shilla was the only one standing.  -.-

On the contrast it was at its height, spreading its influence over most of central asia as far as the Oxus river, in the same year Koguryo became independent, the Han toppled the western Xiongnu empier of Zhi Zhi. Koguryo's independence at this time is quite meaningless to Han at this period, since the Xiongnu has already submitted, and Han still held the northwestern penisula, there is no need to secure its eastern border, especially since Koguryo still recognize itself as a vassal.

I don't remember any part in any history book that said Koguryo was a vassal of Han. 

Yes, during the reign of Han Lin Di of Eastern Han in approximately 170 a.d., The ruler of Koguryo raided the Han commaderies in Northerwest Korea, an expedition was sent and crushed the army, the King submitted and appologized, no more disturbances happened in that quarter for the remaining of Lin Di's reign.

169 AD  The king was actually an idiot who killed his brother to get into throne.  He also surrendered without raising a sword like a real king.  I don't expect much from that king.

Koguri's expansion was steady and it haven't overan most of the peninsula until the 5th century a.d., at various times they were quite unsuccessful and pushed far back eevn been subjugated by the Yen at one point.

By yen, you mean ()?  Because from what I know, they were identical with Koguryo in terms of law and costume.

Yes that would be so, however there is still a problem, Silla did not claim Koguryo right after it conquers it, it was Koryo that did, which was centuries after the fall of Koguryo. The Sam Guk yusa was written in the 11th century under Koryo from the sources of the 3 kingdoms, and at the time of Koguryo, Silla and Koguri was clearly two states that has no single word including them both whatsoever. Paekche on the other hand and Silla share the common word of Han. Koguryo was considered a complete different state at the time and primary sources as well as demographical evidence has confirmed that. Thats not to say that Koreans can't claim its origin however as prior to the rise of nation states there is nothing clearly defined, and parts of Koguryo's people live in Modern Korea but parts also live in China. Mexicans today also claim sucessors of the various people living in Mexico but that certainly does not mean the Aztecs and the Olmecs are the same people. Even Egyptians today claim successors to ancient egyptians.

Actually primary sources confirm Koguryo as being closer to Silla/Pekjae compared to China.  Some Chinese sources you want to revise:

, , <Foreign/South histoyry 54- bekjae>

Bekjae's current costume and language is somewhat like Koguryo's; the only difference lies on the way they don't grab both hands together during walking, and the fact that they do't open their legs when praying(ahhh- don't know how to explain it in english)

<history of south, 79>

Bekjae's language and costume is on the big picture, like koguryos

but we do care about my homeland Manchuria...

Don't worry.  99.6% of Korean politicians are so corrupt that all what they think is getting more votes and eating more national treasury.  Besides, we just want peace (and even unification) with North Korea without any foreign intervention, not manchuria. 

Grrr..
ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2005 at 00:13
but we do care about my homeland Manchuria...
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 22:19

To the Chinese, Goguri is not of great importance. I hadn't known what it is until I read the newspaper.

We simply don't care!

���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 23:24
Thats what I said
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 17:51
He claimed both.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 02:49
And he never said renouced his succession to Silla either.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 02:48

"wouldn't that be reason to exclude Silla from Korean history, rather than Koguryo? if the succession went Gochosun->Koguryo->Balhae->Koryo?"

It would, only if we are certain that Wang Kon or Kung Ye are actually related to the people of Koguryo rather than a Sillan that simply claimed to inherit Koguryo. But since his home was in the south we have reason to belief he was a native of Silla and not Koguryo.

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 02:11

Originally posted by warhead

however there is still a problem, Silla did not claim Koguryo right after it conquers it, it was Koryo that did, which was centuries after the fall of Koguryo

wouldn't that be reason to exclude Silla from Korean history, rather than Koguryo? if the succession went Gochosun->Koguryo->Balhae->Koryo?

btw, people, i'm not stating anything with this.. it's a question

wait.. doesn't North Korea actually claim such?

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

It's also said that they spoke a language related to Buyeo which also attests to a northern heritage.  

they also called themselves the Southern Buyeo from 6th C and emphasized Buyeo traditions

Edited by I/eye
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 21:11
Originally posted by warhead

Its kao kou Li for all that matter.

In the XinHua newspaper thingy I  always saw it as Gao Gou Li....
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 21:10
It's also said that they spoke a language related to Buyeo which also attests to a northern heritage.  
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 21:08

"It was born from Mahan, one of the Samhan, but it's creation myth states that it's founder, Onjo, was the son of one of the Kings of Koguryo.  So it seems that Baekje was a mix between the two cultures."

The founder is quite irrelevant, unless he want to make his state different, since ancient Chosun is also said to be found by Ji Fa Zi, it doesn't mean its Chinese or that its a mix of Chinese and native culture since archeological evidence haven't shown much similarity to China prior to the Han conquest.

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 21:05
Its kao kou Li for all that matter.
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 20:32
Baekje's actually a very interesting entity.  It was born from Mahan, one of the Samhan, but it's creation myth states that it's founder, Onjo, was the son of one of the Kings of Koguryo.  So it seems that Baekje was a mix between the two cultures.

BTW People...stop calling it Goguri/Koguri.  It has never been that.  It doesn't fit with the yale, Mcune/register, or New Korean Romanization systems.  It's either Goguryeo or Koguryo.  Unless of course you're japanese and then it's Kokuri. 

Edited by Gubukjanggoon
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 19:51

"Whoa ok...Koguryo was conquered by a Shilla-Tang Alliance, so it was conquered by both entities. "

It was toppled by both armies with Tang contributing significantly more. And the conquerer was a Tang general. And more literally Koguryo was incorporated into the Tang empire which is what defines conquest, Silla did not conquer Koguryo.

Koguryo was considered, "Korean" or at least part or Koryo (Gaoli) history as it was included in Samguk Yusa.  Korea was eventually unfied...I don't know where you get that Korea never was unified...

"The Hany dynasty was in a very weak state by the time of the rise of Koguryo, at least in it's North Eastern Provinces."

On the contrast it was at its height, spreading its influence over most of central asia as far as the Oxus river, in the same year Koguryo became independent, the Han toppled the western Xiongnu empier of Zhi Zhi. Koguryo's independence at this time is quite meaningless to Han at this period, since the Xiongnu has already submitted, and Han still held the northwestern penisula, there is no need to secure its eastern border, especially since Koguryo still recognize itself as a vassal.

"  Did the Han dynasty almost destroy Koguryo?"

Yes, during the reign of Han Lin Di of Eastern Han in approximately 170 a.d., The ruler of Koguryo raided the Han commaderies in Northerwest Korea, an expedition was sent and crushed the army, the King submitted and appologized, no more disturbances happened in that quarter for the remaining of Lin Di's reign.

"Wasn't it Koguryo who destroyed Han Commanderies in Dongbei and Korea?"

Koguryo overran the eastern portion towards the end of the 1st century b.c. which is more of a vassalage territory than military garrisons, the 4 commanderies of the Northwest remained in Han hands until the collapse of former Qin. Yen even subjugated Koguryo for a brief time.

"And Goguri was one of pertain of Han dynasty also."  Are you saying that Koguryo was a Han dynasty province?  If so, the Koguryo lands were once Han commanderies, but This was much before Koguryo, by the time of Koguryo's birth, about 75-80% of those commanderies had already died out. "

Koguri's expansion was steady and it haven't overan most of the peninsula until the 5th century a.d., at various times they were quite unsuccessful and pushed far back eevn been subjugated by the Yen at one point.

"what connects them all? claim of succession."

Yes that would be so, however there is still a problem, Silla did not claim Koguryo right after it conquers it, it was Koryo that did, which was centuries after the fall of Koguryo. The Sam Guk yusa was written in the 11th century under Koryo from the sources of the 3 kingdoms, and at the time of Koguryo, Silla and Koguri was clearly two states that has no single word including them both whatsoever. Paekche on the other hand and Silla share the common word of Han. Koguryo was considered a complete different state at the time and primary sources as well as demographical evidence has confirmed that. Thats not to say that Koreans can't claim its origin however as prior to the rise of nation states there is nothing clearly defined, and parts of Koguryo's people live in Modern Korea but parts also live in China. Mexicans today also claim sucessors of the various people living in Mexico but that certainly does not mean the Aztecs and the Olmecs are the same people. Even Egyptians today claim successors to ancient egyptians.

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 00:50

Han, Wei, Tang, Yuan, Qing.. all have different origins, yet they are all Chinese.

what connects them all? claim of succession.

Koguryo and Balhae were successed by Koryo.

is there anyone who claims Koryo was not Korean?

if you want to say Koguryo is not Korean, you should be prepared to say that Yuan, Qing, etc are not Chinese either..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>