Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goguri, Korean or Chinese?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goguri, Korean or Chinese?
    Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 18:27

I think I've written about this so many times that you're probably sick of my repeating myself.  Koguryo is important to the traditional Korean view and this new PRC view, because it serves as a symbol of national identity.  For the Koreans, as you said, it represents the founding of the Korean people, for the PRC, it resolves the problem of "what is a Chinese."  Whether PRC is trying to create a greater, broader Chinese identity for the sake of expansionist conquest is arguable: but the fact that Chinese identity has expanded and evolved is undeniable.  The most simple solution here is to "share" Koguryo's legacy, and it is not only simple, but realistic.

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 18:27

Originally posted by coolstorm

Do you really think PRC claims Goguri because of immaturity and old reaons? Hopelessly wrong.

No, I don't believe that the PRC made such claims because of immaturity and old reasons.  I made it clear that I believe that they made such claims as solutions to issues of race and ethnicity.  Please don't quote me out of context.

They do it for some very good reasons beyond many's understanding.

These reasons are actually not too dificult to understand.  It's obvious that China is trying to redefine their national identity in view of the muti-ethnic society within itself.  National identity shifts require historical shifts as well.  I never said this is a bad reason, only that their conclusions are problematic.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 21:57

"It's obvious that China is trying to redefine their national identity in view of the muti-ethnic society within itself.  "

Wrong and hopelessly wrong.

China does not need to claim Goguri to fulfill that purpose for the complexity of its population made up.

That's why I said it's beyond some people's understanding.

I am still waiting for someone to give me an answer to why korean people claim goguri.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 22:01

"It's obvious that China is trying to redefine their national identity in view of the muti-ethnic society within itself.  "

China does not need to claim Goguri to fulfill that purpose for the complexity of its population made up.

I am still waiting for someone to give me an answer to why korean people claim goguri.

Dude..I already tried to explain that...I even adressed it to you!...that is unless you have decided to ignore me......but I know good 'ol coolstorm would never do that!

Hm...I'll just repost what I posted for you.

Koreans see Goguryeo as one of the "Founding Fathers", if you will, of Korea and Koreans themselves...however distorted that view may be. 

In my opinion, Goguryeo became "officially" a part of the Korean spectrum of history when Samguk Yusa was written during the Goryeo dynasty.  That's officially...it has always been in the back of people's minds though as the Goryeo dynasty itself was founded in an attempt to revive Goguryeo...hence the name....Goryeo started out as "Hugoguryeo", meaning later Goguryeo. 

Why does the PRC claiming Goguryeo as a part of Chinese history seem a bit strange?  Most, if not all, chinese texts describe Goguryeo as a state outside of the middle kingdom...and as a barbarian state...if that means anything...

Hope I made that clearer to you Coolstorm!

Edited by Gubukjanggoon
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 23:31

"In my opinion, Goguryeo became "officially" a part of the Korean spectrum of history when Samguk Yusa was written during the Goryeo dynasty.  That's officially...it has always been in the back of people's minds though as the Goryeo dynasty itself was founded in an attempt to revive Goguryeo...hence the name....Goryeo started out as "Hugoguryeo", meaning later Goguryeo. "

Very good, and it makes a lot of sense.

That's also why Taiwan is part of China, and China claims Taiwan.

So, before anyone says anything about Taiwan, please do consider how we feel.

Else you shouldn't blame us for doing the same thing to you. 

^_^

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 13:58

Do you understand it then?  If you do, can you explain it?

Elanjie View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Elanjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 21:58

nice view,ruins in china of Goguri

Elanjie View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Elanjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 21:59
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 22:07
Yes very nice pictures!  I believe the last one is called the "General's Tomb"...but Elanjie...could you please elaborate more on how you have Goguryeo blood?
Elanjie View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Elanjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 21:45

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

Yes very nice pictures!  I believe the last one is called the "General's Tomb"...but Elanjie...could you please elaborate more on how you have Goguryeo blood?

As you quote ,the water is too clear there is no fish to live.

i think this is also very popular in china,as another saying come from history books.

water is too clear ,there is no fish to live;people try to be extremely rational and too examing, there would be no one around  him.

ˮ,;,ͽ

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 23:54
Originally posted by Elanjie

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

As you quote ,the water is too clear there is no fish to live.

i think this is also very popular in china,as another saying come from history books.

water is too clear ,there is no fish to live;people try to be extremely rational and too examing, there would be no one around  him.

ˮ,;,ͽ

You're speaking in riddles here and are not being very clear.. Could you perhaps state clearly what you mean..and answer my question from before?  Thanks!

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 12:33

Very good, and it makes a lot of sense.

That's also why Taiwan is part of China, and China claims Taiwan.

So, before anyone says anything about Taiwan, please do consider how we feel.

Else you shouldn't blame us for doing the same thing to you. 

^_^

i don't really have a stance on Taiwan, but I don't think that is the same.. Koguryo to Korea is many becoming one. Taiwan to China is one becoming two..

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 13:30
I've just realized, the first picture Elanjie  posted reminds me a lot of Aztec/Mayan ruins....It's so amazing how different people are often attracted to the same thing...I think Tobodai once speculated that it's the same drive that causes people to build sky scrapers...
KohYoung View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KohYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 23:13
Hmm... Goguryeo being Chinese or Korean... I think it's neither. It's a mixture of both korean and Chinese cultures and etc... So how could be either korean or Chinese? Btw I am of an Goguryeo bloodline (father's side) however I am of an korean bloodline (mother's side) lol and my sure name is Koh, pronounced "Go"... My aunt who is an Korean historian says the Go family is of royal family during the Goguryeo kingdom.. However I do not believe it her...lol..

Edited by KohYoung
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2005 at 23:56
Originally posted by KohYoung

Hmm... Goguryeo being Chinese or Korean... I think it's neither. It's a mixture of both korean and Chinese cultures and etc... So how could be either korean or Chinese? Btw I am of an Goguryeo bloodline (father's side) however I am of an korean bloodline (mother's side) lol and my sure name is Koh, pronounced "Go"... My aunt who is an Korean historian says the Go family is of royal family during the Goguryeo kingdom.. However I do not believe it her...lol..

The royal family held the name Go, but that doesn't mean you're related to them.  Go is also the surname of one of the 3 orignal kings of Jejudo.  I hate it when people say that they're part Goguryeoan.  That's fricken impossible.
KohYoung View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KohYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 00:19
lol... Impossible you say? How so? You never know.. People can have blood from anient civilizations

Edited by KohYoung
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 00:49

lol... Impossible you say? How so? You never know.. People can have blood from anient civilizations

There's no assuarance to that though.  The kingdom died hundreds of years ago.  If you have blood from that particluar nation, then it is extremely small. 

The only are only a few people who can rightly claim ancestry to ancient kingdoms.  Such as the Gimhae Gim clan and one of the Tae clans. 

Most of all.  Where is your proof? 

As for you saying that Goguryeo isn't a Korean state.  I agree.  In the modern sense it isn't.  The idea of being Korean hasn't existed until modern times and at earliest sometime during the late Goryeo dynasty.  Shilla, Baekje, and Goguryeo were 3 different nations, of 3 different peoples, of 3 different languages, and of 3 different cultures.  Yet these are all critical to Korean history.  All these different groups have come together to form what you and I are today. 

Goguryeo is just about as Korean as Qing is Chinese.
KohYoung View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KohYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 00:56
I'll just have to just scrunch up some family history to find proof... lol but anyways, I must disagree with the three kingdoms being entirely different. They were different yes, however they weren't entirely different. Bakche was formed from immigrants from Goguryeo and I think the refugees from the Chinese colonies in korea at the time, I'm not totally sure. So Goguryeo and Bakche shared some smiliarities.
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 01:02

I'll just have to just scrunch up some family history to find proof... lol but anyways, I must disagree with the three kingdoms being entirely different. They were different yes, however they weren't entirely different. Bakche was formed from immigrants from Goguryeo and I think the refugees from the Chinese colonies in korea at the time, I'm not totally sure. So Goguryeo and Bakche shared some smiliarities.

That's what they claimed. 

Supposedly Dongmyeong wang of Goguryeo was the son of some Buyeo king and  Onjo wang was supposedly the son of Dongmyeong.

They were pretty damn different though.  Culture, Customs, Language.  All very much dissimilar.

BTW.  I don't think your family historical reccords would go back to Goguryeo.  Mine barely go back to Goryeo and it would be difficult to continue on the Shilla.  In addition to this, after unification by Shilla, I would think that it wouldn't have been too popular to claim that one was of an enemy nation.
KohYoung View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KohYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2005 at 01:07
well unless the person was extremist of Goguryeo... lol... About the Goguryeo thing and my family.. I didn't say I believed it but I'll try looking anyway. With some luck i may find something.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>