Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How effective is martial art in battles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How effective is martial art in battles?
    Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 20:17
is there any real evidence to suppport that?
J.M.Finegold View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 20:19
None at all - you kick me, I'll hack your leg off with my sword - or I'll shoot you..easy as that - although I assume that when the fight gets nitty gritty, close combat, it might come in use - although I doubt any combat narrative will get that close.
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 18:15
yes, but when you consider martial-arts-using-movie-stars' miraculous ability to miss bullets it looks pretty effective
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 20:09
Originally posted by Murph

yes, but when you consider martial-arts-using-movie-stars' miraculous ability to miss bullets it looks pretty effective

Yea, Jet Li has skillz.
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 20:35
an army of jet li's could easily conquer the world because it seems no one can shoot him, no matter how clear of a shot they have...even a nuke would probably miss
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 21:02
Originally posted by Murph

an army of jet li's could easily conquer the world because it seems no one can shoot him, no matter how clear of a shot they have...even a nuke would probably miss

No doubt
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 22:31
How effective was karate when the Okinawans used it against the samurai?
Member of IAEA
Baron
Baron

Quote J.M.Finegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2004 at 22:32
Originally posted by Genghis

How effective was karate when the Okinawans used it against the samurai?

I wouldn't really know - however, I think it was more effective for the Okinawans when the American Shermans began to roll into town.  If you're talking about that era...

Edited by DuxPimpJuice
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 01:55
It is highly effective.

but I think you have to consider time periods here. Martial Arts have counters for weapons such as swords, axes, staffs, etc...

thats why ti was so heavily used in Asia in ancient times.

Obviously its not as effective anymore because of the invention of guns. But if a fight ends up coming to a hand to hand battle.....you better hope your opponent isn't a blackbelt
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2004 at 19:53

You all of course are aware that martial arts refer to more than just hand-to-hand combat. Martial arts are everything that are well martial. This includes weapons as well.

However, if you are only talking about hand-to-hand combat...

Martial artists are not good as rank and file soldiers. They require a great deal of idividuality to function. Therefore, it would be very difficult to use them tactically. They would probably be better used as bodyguards or an elite force like the Sunbae or Hwarangs of Korea.

ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 02:20
What am I going to say is, there is no such things as material art.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 11:15

Originally posted by ChineseManchurian

What am I going to say is, there is no such things as material art.

What does this mean?

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 12:07
It means martial arts don't exist....which I disagree with...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 12:33
Martial Arts would come in handy for battles mabey even 200 years ago, but now it only has a limited use in war.
ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 15:30
again, material art is only in the book that some famous Chinese arthur had wrote, there is no such thing is material art in the history.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 15:52

Originally posted by ChineseManchurian

again, material art is only in the book that some famous Chinese arthur had wrote, there is no such thing is material art in the history.

Could you perhaps clarify what you are saying a provide sources?

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 17:12

Martial arts, as they were and as they is now, was not made for that Jet lee movie you see in hollywood. 

It was primarly made to train troops so they don't get lazy up their fatty acids. 

Grrr..
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote dark_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 17:46
 I imgaine it wouldn't be useful in so much as a street fight nowaday. Even in school people have a knife (or in some worse cases a handgun).
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 17:53

It's good in disarming a hand knife, or even a hand gun.  But I don't think martial arts is all that it takes.  Another factor is confidence.  Like it takes a huge load of guts to actually tackle on a guy with handgun with your karate skills. 

Grrr..
MoriheiUeshiba View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 14:10
referring to the post on, karate used against samurai
it was effective, seeming it was said that some samurai opponents could accually punch through there armour
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>