Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thoughts on King John

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What are you thoughts on King John?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [16.67%]
3 [16.67%]
4 [22.22%]
8 [44.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on King John
    Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 21:05
I would like to know what you all think about King John and his reign. Was he as certain historians say a much maligned king or was he horrible? Or was he actually a fairly astute politician who was a victim of circumstance?

Personally I think he was a fairly astute politician and maligned by history.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 06:30
Yeah, it's hard to have to pay for all the mess your brother caused, yet living in the shadow of his military sucess.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 06:55
Iirc while John did have to pay for Richard's follies, he added considerbaly to it as well.

He made an ambitious plan to conquer France with his cousin Otto of the HRE, to which end he elevated squeezing money out of commoners and nobles alike to a fine art. That's why he was generally hated.

It might have come out alright if he had been successful, but the French slapped Otto and his allies silly at Bouvines, and John himself didn't even dare face the Dauphin in a battle over Bordeaux and simply buggered home to England.

All the money and effort was wasted, and the only thing John got for his pains was being universally despised by his own.
One must not insult the future.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 13:45
King John... I am sure that he was envious of Richard the Lionheart, and tried to become as great as he. Sadly, he wasted so much gold and other resources against unsuccessful attack to France. In fact, he ended up losing more lands. He may had to understand that great kings are not legendry warriors like Achilles, or wealthy like Bill Gates, or being smart like Albert Einstein. Great kings are the ones that are able to satisfy the need of the people, and to secure their lands from foreign enemies, and the ability to unite and understand his people to work together as a team. Napoleon may have been a horrible person, but he gave French people what they wanted, Former glory, econimical stability, lower tax, constant supply of goods... so they voted him to be a dicator. Hitler, though seen as the Satan himself, was elected to become the leader of Germany because he created more jobs, improved economy, united the divided Germany again, etc. So people elected him.

Being a good person and being a good leader is a different thing. If King John understood this... the future of England may turned out differently...

Join us.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 14:08
I think John understood the difference between being a good person and a good leader. He learned from two of the best politicians of his time - Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. In terms of securing lands against foreign invaders King John was the Foreign invader. Philip II was actually John's leige lord in France - although nominally. He lost those lands because he went up against a superior tactician, Philip II who had done battle politically and militarily against Henry II and Richard I. He was a smart enough to realise this and to return to England and tend to matters there.

I would argue as a side note that this is one of the events that helped to shape the English identity since at this point family members had to choose where there lands were (if they had lands on both sides of the channel). Some like the nobles in Normandy, Brittany, or even Anju had to decide do I back my lord or my lord's lord. Thus defining a specific "us" and "them" English and French.

Edited by King John - 24-Feb-2007 at 20:37
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 03:28

John was an enigma - he was both an astute politican and a complete fool.

He was cunning enough to place England under the suzereignty of the Pope in order to prevent an invasion from France - and to deal with the effects of the Magna Carta.

However, his greed I think got the better of him at times - most likely this was as a result of his severe shortage of feudal lands as a youngester (unlike his older brothers who received lands from their parents).  As a result, he lost quite a bit of the Angevin's continental possessions.

If, John had been a bit more astute in dealing with Richard's absence on Crusade and then his own disaffected nobility, his reputation may have come away a little more intact.  The absence of Richard should have provided John with the opportunity to prove was a suitable "successor" he would have been to Richard - yet he stuffed that one up.

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2007 at 11:17
i actually think john was just a very emotionally deprived child , his mother abandoned him to a church..and his father didn't leave him any inheritance , he was in fact destined to become a member of the clergy in his youth ( this act was believed to contribute to his contempt towards religion) , he at times showed military brilliance , but over all i think he lacked in confidence and was as used as a scape goats for Richards failures , he didn't inherit a viable kingdom like Richard but one full of trouble..and it was attributed to him rather than Richard , personally i think on some things he did try to do his best , although he may have realized he could never beat Philip in war...he did not waste time campaigning against him , he saw it pointless regarded what he stood to lose.
what i find most interesting is that..of all the depictions of john , in movies like the lion in winter , plays and the robin hood series...it is interesting to note that the Disney animated animal kingdom movie of robin hood seems to be the most accurate!
john is by no means a good man...but i think people in his era painted a much darker picture of him , his contempt for religion was alarming in an age of faith , one bishop did not stoop to low to say ' hell itself foul as it may be is defiled by the presence of john '
he was cruel but no more so than those in his age , his greed was notorious but then all the Angevin's were known for that , but mostly i would have to say his ditherings and procrastinations in dealing with Philip when he invaded Normandy and other parts of the Angevin empire would be his greatest failure.
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 09:08
Good person or not, it wasn't his place to be king.
Crusader3943
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 22:59
I think the Magna Carta ought to answer this question for us.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 23:46
Originally posted by Crusader3943

Good person or not, it wasn't his place to be king.

Hear hear!

Join us.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 03:17
Why wasn't it his place to be king? He was next in line after Richard, since Richard died childless.
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 13:52
Originally posted by King John

Why wasn't it his place to be king? He was next in line after Richard, since Richard died childless.

He had the right to be king after Richard died, but not before he did.
Crusader3943
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 18:18
And when did he officially take the throne?
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 06:21

And whilst he was still alive, Richard named his nephew, Arthur, son of their elder brother Geoffrey, as his heir.

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 15:03
Originally posted by Melisende

And whilst he was still alive, Richard named his nephew, Arthur, son of their elder brother Geoffrey, as his heir.

Crusader3943
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 21:23
All valid points and i agree John was a strange one not so much an engima but a man who didnt know his own place. Ireland may have worked but the King (Henry II) didn't wish to lose revenues or control, or invest in more expense, in further military subjagation efforts, as he aged. Too many other conflicts and problems on the continent. Likewize Cornwall might have been made available for John but it to was retained by Henry. As to his dealing with Arthur, one can make a case it was regicide vs. the designated heir. But John was older, greedier and felt he had been in the shadows of his parents and all his older brothers, to include Henry the so called 'co-king', long enough. Not an uncommmon action given the times.

As to astute or not? Depends on your sources vs. the rendition he has been given by past historians in part based on the factors sited by others above.

"King John was defeated by the barons and only kept the throne by signing the Magna Carta, which stated that the king was not above the law, that he only ruled by the will of the people, and that if he broke his part of the contract, then the people had the right to overthrow the king. The whole episode amounted to a civil war, and was probably not as cosy as the painting on the left depicts"

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 21-Mar-2007 at 21:40
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 12:41
Originally posted by King John

And when did he officially take the throne?

Don't know, but he tried to assume power while Richard was still alive.
Crusader3943
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 13:46
1199 he ascended the throne.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 05:28
Officially - 6th April 1999 - the date of Richard's death.

But the minute Richard left England on Crusade (1190), John was already schemeing to replace the Regents that Richard had installed.
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 11:01
King John inherited a kingdom that had already been bankrupted by an absentee king that used England only as a means to extract tax monies to underwrite his wars and pay off his ransoms.
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>