Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kosovo ICJ Case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Will the UN General Assembly pass the Serbian proposal?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [71.43%]
2 [28.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosovo ICJ Case
    Posted: 17-Sep-2008 at 18:08
The United Nations General Assembly has received Serbia's proposal for a motion to question the legality of Kosovo's independence at the International Court of Justice. The representer of Serbia is a leading legal expert from Serbia and Montenegro, a Serbian Academist and probably one of the most known members and leaders of the Hungarian intelligence in Vojvodina, by the name of Tibor Varadi.

Originally Serbia acquired assurance from most African and Arab states in a foreign diplomacy offensive and France declared that it shall gather the European Union to stop Serbia from submitting the resolution, while certain French politicians and several other European proposed stopping Serbia's European integrations (as if they haven't already reached a stalamate).

However a shock came when Sweden called all European countries not to oppose Serbia's motion, which made a turn of events. Condoleeza Rice also confirmed that the United States of America will not oppose it.

Kosovo PM Hashim Thaci called this an another expansionist trick from Belgrade, and expressed assurance that the world will not fall for it, calling all countries that so far recognized Kosovo's independence and all those who indend to do so to oppose Serbia's motion. He is certain that Serbia's motion will fail and that the result of it will be a confirmation that Kosovo is internationally recognized.

Map%20of%20states%20that%20have%20recognised%20Kosovo%20independence%20     Kosovo%20     States%20which%20formally%20recognise%20Kosovo%20as%20independent%20%20     Other%20states

Kosovo is recognized so far by a total of 47 out a total of 194 countries. More than half a year have passed since the recognition, and Thaci's claims that over 100 countries will recognize Kosovo's independence within a month have turned to be incorrect, while the Serbian Foreign Ministry's statement that more than 100 foreign ministers have written personal assurances that they won't recognize independence of Kosovo (although it also included Turkey, lol) have turned out to be true. The US has so far been overly critic of the Kosovar government for doing a very poor job at lobbying recognition of independence, despite a quite big availability of funds from the West.

Edited by Yugoslav - 18-Sep-2008 at 12:46
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2008 at 22:45

Predlog%20Srbije%20na%20Generalnoj%20skupštini%20UN

The General Committee of the United Nations General Assembly has just approved the points for the forthcoming session of the global parliament by consensus (all votes). One of the first points is Serbia's motion for ICJ's Advisory Opinion on the legality of Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence. It was questioned whether the West would let this go through, as this would've been the easiest point to influence the General Committee, however the first step is over. 
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 05:48
Not sure that they will have a chance at the security council. That is one reason why the U.S. stayed away from it in the first place when they were pushing for independence. A kind of catch 22. Only in this case it would most likely be the U.S. threatening the veto. 
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 12:00
Originally posted by Yugoslav

The US has so far been overly critic of the Kosovar government for doing a very poor job at lobbying recognition of independence, despite a quite big availability of funds from the West.
That is a bit rich from the US. Most countries opposed the way it was formed. The precedent is too dangerous for everyone to just go along with it. Unless your Russia and you copy it instead.

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 12:43
Originally posted by es_bih

Not sure that they will have a chance at the security council. That is one reason why the U.S. stayed away from it in the first place when they were pushing for independence. A kind of catch 22. Only in this case it would most likely be the U.S. threatening the veto. 

The Security Council takes no part in this.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 14:53
Just hard to actually get this going without the Security Council - the rest of the UN is a clubhouse without much pull when the top players don't agree. 
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2008 at 16:24
Originally posted by es_bih

Just hard to actually get this going without the Security Council - the rest of the UN is a clubhouse without much pull when the top players don't agree. 

Yes, but actually revoking Kosovo's independence isn't even the goal of this. Wink

The precise point is Serbia's internal stability. If this passes, the problem will cross from the sphere of politics into law, and finally, after so many tiresome years, Kosovo will stop to be on daily light in the Serbian political world and no one will ramble about it every day, and the country will be able to concentrate on realizing other problems (cooperation with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, finding the money to finance all these retirement raises, the European reforms and fighting corruption). The SAA needs to start (unilateral) implementation, there are important changes in the structure of the country as Fiat is moving to Serbia and there are new highways that need to be finished.

Next to that, this would eventually slow down the process of Kosovo's recognition of independence, or even eventually stop it (with occasionally one country recognizing Kosovo every year out of political interests with Washington for an example). For example Montenegro's opinion on the recognition of Kosovo's independence is based upon the UN General Assembly's vote, while it will probably not stop (eventually) Macedonia.
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2008 at 17:56
The reaction in Albania and Pristina will be very interesting to see to say the least.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2008 at 18:20
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

The reaction in Albania and Pristina will be very interesting to see to say the least.

You already have the reaction.

Originally posted by Yugoslav

Kosovo PM Hashim Thaci called this an another expansionist trick from Belgrade, and expressed assurance that the world will not fall for it, calling all countries that so far recognized Kosovo's independence and all those who indend to do so to oppose Serbia's motion. He is certain that Serbia's motion will fail and that the result of it will be a confirmation that Kosovo is internationally recognized.

General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2008 at 21:47

I wasn't refering to that.

Anyway the question is what if the UN sides with Serbia on all of this. Will the KLAesque government simply be kicked out and deemed illegal? I think this will lead to a conflict but I doubt America will back the KLA up again. It has the potential to end up being a proxy war of America vs Russia on the other hand.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2008 at 00:37
Some good news for Serbia. Wink

Apparently, 120 (62.5%) of the Member States will vote for Serbia's motion, comprising mostly the countries that oppose the recognition of Kosovo's independence.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2008 at 03:51
The question is what kind of weight will this carry. If America's economy continues to faulter I don't think they would do much to stop the KLA government from being demolished.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

The question is what kind of weight will this carry. If America's economy continues to faulter I don't think they would do much to stop the KLA government from being demolished.

That's a myth. It's the American people that is hit, not the government.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2008 at 20:01
Whatever way you want to call it, what is happening now is limiting the military capabilities of America. This is a reality that every nation encounters. No money, no military.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 16:44
Resolution passed by a 92.77% majority of those who voted (opposed to 7.23%).

Clap
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2008 at 21:26
This is a list of all the countries that voted AGAINST:

1. United States of America

2. Republic of Albania

3. Republic of Nauru

4. Republic of Palau

5. Republic of the Marshall Islands

6. Federal States of Micronesia

Call me what you want, but I judge this a failure of US politics.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 00:15
Image:United%20Nations%20General%20Assembly%20vote%20on%20resolution%20A63L.2.PNG
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 20:18
So much for preventing Montenegro's recognition. I expect FYROM will follow shortly?

Edit: FYROM has recognized Kosovo.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 09-Oct-2008 at 21:08
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 21:30
Yugoslav, what do the colours on your map stand for?
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2008 at 23:50
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

So much for preventing Montenegro's recognition. I expect FYROM will follow shortly?

Edit: FYROM has recognized Kosovo.

Who talked about that?

BTW, Serbia just expelled the Montenegrin embassador and closed its own in Skopje.

Originally posted by gcle2003

Yugoslav, what do the colours on your map stand for?

Green - countries that SUPPORTED Serbia's initiative

RED - countries that OPPOSED Serbia's initiative
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>