Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gothic Arch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gothic Arch
    Posted: 06-Mar-2012 at 19:28

Around the time of the crusades, medieval churches and cathedrals were built with large Gothic arches, pillars and vaults. Were these copied from the pointed arches widespread in the Middle East?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2012 at 20:03
Seems plausible, but would they be copying the Eastern Orthodox Church/Empire style, rather than the non-Christian mosques and palaces?
Gothic architecture started in the 12th century. If by Middle East, you mean Islamic countries, then you also need to think about northern Africa and Spain as possible routes of influence.

Edited by Sidney - 06-Mar-2012 at 20:04
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2012 at 04:17
I've read it somewhere that these pointed arches are possibly to do with the womb. The Virgin Mary's womb if memory serves me right.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2012 at 05:17
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2012 at 19:08

Could the tall church spires of the Middle Ages have been copied from the minaret?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2012 at 20:04
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 08:33
Originally posted by Nick1986

Could the tall church spires of the Middle Ages have been copied from the minaret?
There's a suggestion that influence for such things is much old, and involves many standing monuments/stones and obelisks. If this is so then it is just about conceivable that as Europe itself has many standing stones then the influence might have come from them. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2012 at 20:11
That's an interesting point Alani. Standing stones make sense, seeing as they were sacred places for Britain's original Celtic population
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2012 at 19:23
What about the geometric patterns on the columns and vault? Some art historians believe these were copied from Islamic foliage-based art
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2012 at 17:56

What about the geometric patterns on the columns and vault? Some art historians believe these were copied from Islamic foliage-based art
I guess it might be possible, Nick, although I wonder if you can post some examples. I'm not so sure that the ancient Greeks didn't have a geometric style and foliage-based art which then could have been passed on through the Romans to various European countries.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2012 at 19:47
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2012 at 20:10

Here's one example i found:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rcrj9bWyie0C&lpg=PA60&dq=medieval%20church%20art%20islamic%20influence&pg=PA60#v=onepage&q&f=false
I will take a look through that tomorrow, thank you, Nick. Islamic art/architecture certainly influenced the renaissance. 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 19:06
And not just Islamic art. We owe our science, mathematics and medicine to the Muslims
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2012 at 19:10

And not just Islamic art. We owe our science, mathematics and medicine to the Muslims
Not to mention the bar of soap you use, maybe.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 19:00

This stained glass window in particular reminds me of the Eastern patterns on our carpet. Similar geometric plant-based designs were used to decorate early handwritten versions of the Koran
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2012 at 19:35

A 400 year old Koran with gilded, illuminated letters. These may well have inspired the beautiful Christian books of the Middle Ages
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2012 at 07:30

A 400 year old Koran with gilded, illuminated letters. These may well have inspired the beautiful Christian books of the Middle Ages
I guess you could very well be right, Nick, however the book of Kells does have geometric patterning too here and there. The rose window in your other post is probably more likely to have been influenced in the way you have said I think. 
 Post Reply Post Reply