Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wha medieval soldier would you have been?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What medieval soldier would you have been?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [5.80%]
5 [7.25%]
1 [1.45%]
18 [26.09%]
21 [30.43%]
2 [2.90%]
1 [1.45%]
2 [2.90%]
6 [8.70%]
9 [13.04%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wha medieval soldier would you have been?
    Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 10:49
Mercenary cavalier. ie. knight in lighter armor and adept with spear, great sword or ax and battlehammer. unlike his brother heavy knight, he was capable of dismounted work with much greater ease. I would have looked good as such during the early wars of the Papal states.
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 12:32
Originally posted by Athanasios

Originally posted by Crusader3943

I'd have been the mounted knight. Hate to say so, but I agree with knights when they say that archers are cowards.

Clever maybe, cowards no, return home with clean clothes: absolutely yesWink.

Crusader3943
John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 18:01
Horse archer, mobility,range and speed  the three keys to victory :)
My peoples tale is written in blood
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 19:34
A fully armored knight would still be able to hop up relatively quickly after being dismounted. Last year a older gentleman worked on a show call "Weapons That Made Britain" (at least I think that's what it was called), and he threw himself off a charging horse in full late period (full plate) armor. He was on his feet immediately. Granted, he wasn't in a combat situation, but he also didn't spend the better part of his life training in this armor, as most knights would have.

But getting back to topic, I'd probably go with being an archer of sorts, preferably longbow or on horseback. I'm a firm believer of the heroic charge - when it's somebody else... I prefer to live to fight another day. After all, it's better to be a surviving smelly English peasant than a skewered French knight at Poitiers, Crecy or Agincourt...
Giordano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Giordano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 07:12
Swordsman...
My sword is my honore Ouch
War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it.
Desiderius Erasmus
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote the_oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 12:13

Ottoman Sipahis
I think that being able to use spear,bow and sword on a horse is the best.
(i dont know which category are the sipahis,horse archers or m. knights but i choosed horse archersLOL...)

Edited by the_oz - 27-Mar-2007 at 12:18
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 18:36
Originally posted by Kaysaar

A fully armored knight would still be able to hop up relatively quickly after being dismounted. Last year a older gentleman worked on a show call "Weapons That Made Britain" (at least I think that's what it was called), and he threw himself off a charging horse in full late period (full plate) armor. He was on his feet immediately. Granted, he wasn't in a combat situation, but he also didn't spend the better part of his life training in this armor, as most knights would have.

But getting back to topic, I'd probably go with being an archer of sorts, preferably longbow or on horseback. I'm a firm believer of the heroic charge - when it's somebody else... I prefer to live to fight another day. After all, it's better to be a surviving smelly English peasant than a skewered French knight at Poitiers, Crecy or Agincourt...

I saw that show you talk of. Yes, it is a myth that knights in full armor could not get back up after being knocked off of their horse. However, at the Battle of Agincourt, the French knights could not get off of the ground because it was muddy (which I saw in another History Channel program).

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 21:23
I read about that situation too Emperor. Just another reason to be an archer - it's easier to escape into the woods, and you're less hindered by mud. Wink
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 21:33
I'd probably be a bad shot as an archer, but whatever it takes to not get stabbed and eviscerated..haha :(
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 21:53

I read about that situation too Emperor. Just another reason to be an archer - it's easier to escape into the woods, and you're less hindered by mud. Wink

Or a light infantryman, the likes that you would see in Scotland and Ireland. They had some armor, enough to protect them, but not enough to greatly hinder them.

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 05:26

What is all this talk of Clean Clothes, Escaping into Woods or trying not to get Hurt on the Battle Field???

... are you guys Medieval Soldiers or GIRLYMEN?!?

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 17:05
Being alive > dying in battle

Approve

(Although I wouldn't want to be too peasanty - I don't particularly care to share my bedroom with a goat...)
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 03:03

After all, it's better to be a surviving smelly English peasant than a skewered French knight at Poitiers, Crecy or Agincourt...

Quite possibly Kaysaar... but.. at least the Descendants of the "skewered" French Knights can be proud of the Fact that they fought with Honour. Unlike the English who often employed DisHonourable and Cowardly tactics.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 03:10
They died with honour. Well honour is good thing but It is unbeneficial at afterlife.
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 04:09

It is true that you are able to move quite well in full plate armour. I had photo's of people doing cartwheels and one-handed pushups in reproduction plate armour...can't find it now.

I must just point out above that the Knights had a much better chance of survival. The battles where knights got slaughtered are so famous because it was so rare. In addition to being much better protected than the peasent, there is also the case that you are worth much more alive than dead. You would normally fight until you are overwhelmed and given an oppertunity to surrender. Then on you would proceed to be taken hostage by the opposing nobleman, and ransomed back. If you're estate doesn't have the money right away, you get to visit his estate and mingle with the women-folk who think you're just fascinating as a foreigner. In the end, when payment is received you thank your host...erm captor (who's most probably a far-long cousin anyway) for his hospitality before departing and promising to writeBig%20smile

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 08:15
I know of all those nice perks of being a noble or royal knight Eondt Wink However, court sponsored nights may not have enjoyed the perks, as they may not have had the funds to support that.
Christ-Knight View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Christ-Knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 11:37
I'm an artillery soldier, so that..... ballista/mangonel/catapult crewman... Wink
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 12:44
No offnes but i allso think mounted archers are cowards.A melle tipe of soldier-swordsman,axeman,knight is far braver.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 05:17
Hey how about this kinda warrior?
Jagiello View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Jagiello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 07:30

I'd like to be like this guy-Wladyslaw Jagiello,a real knight.

Edited by Jagiello - 11-Apr-2007 at 07:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>