Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teutonic Campaign on Eastern Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teutonic Campaign on Eastern Europe
    Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 01:20
Okay.. The Teutonics are fighting the poles.. That's right, but I also wanna know the struggle of the Eastern against Knights of Orders (I meant, Order Knights)

Well... btw, could someone describe Tannenberg?
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 04:10
Originally posted by Balain

Okay.. The Teutonics are fighting the poles.. That's right, but I also wanna know the struggle of the Eastern against Knights of Orders (I meant, Order Knights)

Well... btw, could someone describe Tannenberg?

Balain, I can recommend You a nice book about Teuton Order and Battle of Tannenberg. It's not historical bok but adventure rather but has historical background. It is called "Teuton Order" and its author is nobel prize winner Henryk Sienkiewicz. There was also movie based on the book, also quite good.

Going back to Your question I know that Rider described Battle of Grunwald ( Tannenberg ) in one of AE magazines.
To be short Teutons slaughter Prussia then they wanted to do the same with Lithuanians. They even surrounded Lithuania capitol - Villinus - few times but they couldn't take it. Then Poland united with Lithuania in the face of this great danger and there was Battle of Tannenberg and then XII Years War which broke Teuton power cause Battle of Tannenberg only stopped Teuton Order victorious march. It was XIII Years War that decided superirity of PLC over Teuton Order.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 08:35
Hmmh. The article about Grunwald is here:

The Battle of Grnwald.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 09:12
Their Hungarian episode might be an interesting addition to the Eastern European history of the Teutonic Order.

Before they moved to the Baltics the order briefly settled in Transylvania to fight and convert the steppe nomads, mostly the Cumans.

Hermann von Salza was the Grand Master then, whose family was vassal of the Thuringian Landgraves. The Arpads had good connections to Thuringia and king Andrew II who led a crusade to the Holy Land beleived its a good idea to settle a military order to the sparsely populated borderlands of Hungary.

In 1211 the knights arrived. They were donated privileges like exemption from taxes, monopoly of mining and trade and Hungarian church hierarchy. They had an important role of organizing German immigration to Transylvania. By 1222 the had five strong stone-castle (like Marienburg, Rosenau etc.). They successfully repelled Cuman incursion and conquered their lands.

In 1224 the Grand Master offered direct overlordship of the Order's lands to the pope. Honorius III. accepted it and with this act the "sovereignty" of the Hungarian kings practically ended. Naturally Andrew II couldn't tolerate this.  With a quick campaign he captured the castles of the Teutons and ordered the knights to leave Hungary. He stripped them of their lands. The Teutonic Order had to find a new home and they found it in the Baltics.

They had an other even shorter episode in Hungary. In 1429 king Sigismund (also king of Germany) offered them the banate of Severin to protect the borderland from the Ottomans. Their leader Nikolaus von Redwitz was appointed as ban. But three years later they suffered such a serious defeat that they had to leave the kingdom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12