Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Greeks in America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tkoletsis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tkoletsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Greeks in America?
    Posted: 04-May-2008 at 19:59
http://www.greek-thesaurus.gr/images/pub/Quetzalpapalotl-waves-2.jpg
Is that a simple line drawing too?

I think that there are no facts in ancient history. 90% are missing and 10% is really known.
A very large part is missing.
The history is also written from those who have the power. And the power that moment of time isn't in greek hands.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 23:20
Originally posted by tkoletsis

I think that there are no facts in ancient history. 90% are missing and 10% is really known.
The history is also written from those who have the power. And the power that moment of time isn't in greek hands.

You are wrong.
You are following a very common attitude in pseudo-history "assuming false contacts".
The fact is that Greeks weren't in the Americas before Columbus, and that Mayans developed theirs own civilization in isolation. The rest is fantasy.

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 23:37
Originally posted by Pinguin

You are following a very common attitude in pseudo-history "assuming false contacts".
The fact is that Greeks weren't in the Americas before Columbus, and that Mayans developed theirs own civilization in isolation. The rest is fantasy.
Quite a different attitude when facing another "contact theory". What did you imagine? That only the Americans could sail Big%20smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 23:43
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Quite a different attitude when facing another "contact theory". What did you imagine? That only the Americans could sail Big%20smile

Ah fellow. You still don't realize the other thread is just pulling legs? LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 01:29
Originally posted by tkoletsis

Yes

There are two rebuttals to this:
1.) Some things surely will never be known, but that doesn't change the fact that for other things there do exist facts in ancient history. Ancient Greek culture flourished around 500 BC, Mayas 500 AD. That's a fact, you'll have to address that for your theory to make sense. Native Americans had no restistance against Old World deseases. That's a fact, you'll have to address that for your theory to make sense.
If you can't find an adequate way to deal with those problems you can't just ignore them, unless you can make a plausible point that Classical Greek culture flourished 1000 years later or Classical Mayan culture flourished 1000 earlier than is currently believed, and that Native Americans were actually resistant to old world deseases, but that is going to be a mission impossible.

2.) Proposing a theory and then rejecting criticism by saying that you we don't anything for sure is an extremely flawed way of proving something. I could just as well say that Athens was build by Mayans and reject your criticism by using extactly the same words you just used. That way one can prove everything, and who proves everything proves nothing.

It's even less so in Mayan hands, yet it is almost universally agreed that Uxmal was built by Mayans.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 01:33

Funny as it sound, some wild pseudo-historians had propossed that the number zero migrated from Yucatan to India.....

Although I would love to believe that, it is simply a display of nonsense.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 06:17

Somebody help! There is an Aztec hoplite outside my house threatening to offer up a human sacrifice if I don't pay him seventy drachmas!

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 19:59
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Somebody help! There is an Aztec hoplite outside my house threatening to offer up a human sacrifice if I don't pay him seventy drachmas!

-Akolouthos

Just imagine Aztecs and Spartans redacting the universal declaration of human rights LOL
tkoletsis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tkoletsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 22:45
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 23:12
You haven't addressed my rebuttals.
tkoletsis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tkoletsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 23:41

Let me put a scenario in the table that may help with the dating problem.
Ancient Greeks probably had remained there after the destruction of Atlantis they cutted out from their homeland Greece and developed all those great civilizations which their traces are met all over America.
Others travelled east to Mediterranean and settled the Greek region.
The communication between them was very rare but possible, with Homer's in Odyssey to report long distance travels with other civilizations but with common Gods and lanquage indeed.
Odyssey is reffering Amazons (in relation with the river).
I don't believe Odysseus was lost at the too much travelled sea of Mediterranean. And I'don't believe that Troy was a so close destination as it is believed to be. In my opinion Troy should be a land somewhere in America.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 00:06
Oh, my godness!
tkoletsis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tkoletsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 18:56
Oh you are from Chile ! I 've heard that one of your musical instruments is Pan's flute is it true?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 20:57
yes. It is called zampona. You would hear it in Andes traditional music. But has a white-nose sound that is quite different from the old world equivalent.
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 10:42
Tkoletsis, I think a good place to start will be here:

Notice the part about Neolithic patterns.

Assuming that the pattern likeness between Greece and Maya patterns has any greater significance is jumping to conclusions without really researching other possibilities.

Example:

Pattern from 23,000 years BC!

10,000 BC!

I don't think it has anything to do with GreeceCool 
From the article:

"The same basic elements, "positive" and "negative" square with diagonals, is also preserved in another very ancient kind of art: in the art of mazes. That art, known from Greek mazes (labyrinth from Knossos), Roman mazes [28, 29], or Celtic mazes (Fig. 13) [30, 31], probably comes from much older, Neolithic or even Paleolithic origin. "

The basic spiral pattern is used all around the world, and it was probably used by the people populating the Americas before they even crossed the Beringa.

Edited by Jams - 09-May-2008 at 11:24
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 13:17
Originally posted by pinguin

yes. It is called zampona. You would hear it in Andes traditional music. But has a white-nose sound that is quite different from the old world equivalent.

Omar do you have a recording of this wonderful instrument, would love to hear it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 17:09
Originally posted by Julius Augustus

Originally posted by pinguin

Omar do you have a recording of this wonderful instrument, would love to hear it.

Sure. This night I will search some musical samples and put in this thread.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Jams

Tkoletsis, I think a good place to start will be here:

Notice the part about Neolithic patterns.

Assuming that the pattern likeness between Greece and Maya patterns has any greater significance is jumping to conclusions without really researching other possibilities.

Example:

Pattern from 23,000 years BC!

10,000 BC!

I don't think it has anything to do with GreeceCool 
From the article:

"The same basic elements, "positive" and "negative" square with diagonals, is also preserved in another very ancient kind of art: in the art of mazes. That art, known from Greek mazes (labyrinth from Knossos), Roman mazes [28, 29], or Celtic mazes (Fig. 13) [30, 31], probably comes from much older, Neolithic or even Paleolithic origin. "

The basic spiral pattern is used all around the world, and it was probably used by the people populating the Americas before they even crossed the Beringa.

Insteresting post and I like the idea that people populating the Americas through Beringia carried them. It very well be so.

Therefore, let me copy this post in the Siberia-Mongolian heritage thread Wink

tkoletsis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote tkoletsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 19:11
Although i'm against the official archaeology , it says that the oldest
European neolithic settlement has found in Greece (Sesklo - Dimini) about 7000 BC. What is your sources about the interesting drawings of 23000 and 10000 Bc?
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 21:18
I didn't keep the link for the second one, sorry, but the first one is in the link provided above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>