Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArmenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenian killings - mutual massacres or genocide?
    Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 10:09

Originally posted by mamikon

well seeing that there were about 2 million Armenians before and there are 40-60000 now, after almost a century wouldnt you say they almost did "kill all Armenians"?

Many of the Armenians died during their exile, but quite a few survived so your claims that Turks wanted to kill all Armenians is incorrect.

I have never said Armenians were not victims of a massive exile and ethnic cleansing from Eastern Anatolia, so I do not know what are you trying to prove by saying why are there so few Armenians now? What is your point in asking why are there Turks? Are you by any chance implying that since there are Turks in Eastern Anatolia, Turks were not victims of massacres? 

Besides there are no Turks in modern day Armenia either. Karpat in International Migration Review says:

Erivan, which had been under Iranian rule had an overwhelming Muslim majority between 1829 and 1914, now became predominantly Armenian: some 270,000 Turco-Tatars lived in Erivan province around 1830; by 1921 their number has dwindled to 1921 to some 89,000 people. 

What is their share of the Erivan population today? Where are these Turco-Tatars now? 

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 10:25

"If you are so keen on not mixing them, you should use the term Genocide of WESTERN Armenians. You cannot aks that Turkish crimes be considered against all Armenians, and at the same time try to dissolve the collective responsibility of Armenians as a whole for their crimes by creating artificial distinctions."

Yes well there were Jews all over the world, so you can not say the Holocaust was against all Jews?

I think it is unfair that while you demand collective responsibility from the Turks for crimes comitted against your side, you refuse to accept collective responsibility for crimes comitted by your side and instead choose to diffuse that responsibility by using terms such as Eastern and Western Armenian.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:20
Originally posted by bg_turk

I think it is unfair that while you demand collective responsibility from the Turks for crimes comitted against your side, you refuse to accept collective responsibility for crimes comitted by your side and instead choose to diffuse that responsibility by using terms such as Eastern and Western Armenian.

Why do we differentiate between Eastern and Western Armenians? Because they were under 2 different empires before the war. Eastern Armenians were under Russian control, and Western Armenians were under Ottoman control. So if the Russian army has a lot of Armenians in it, its pretty ignorant to assume that they are Ottoman Armenians, when it is an established fact that Eastern Armenia belongs to Russia, and naturally, they are going to recruit Armenians into their army. The Young Turks used this as propaganda and called all Armenians traitors to the empire (even though I fail to see how women and children can rebel). In every genocide, the people targeted are all labeled as "traitors". Jews during WW2, Tutsis during the Rwandan genocide, etc.

Are we blaming Kazakh Turks or Kyrgyz Turks for the genocide? No...because they were under DIFFERENT LEADERSHIP, just like Eastern and Western Armenians. This is not a dispute between Armenians and Turks, it is a dispute between Armenians and a specific Turkish authority. I hope you understand why we differentiate between them now...
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:21

well seeing that there were about 2 million Armenians before and there are 40-60000 now, after almost a century wouldnt you say they almost did "kill all Armenians"?

Many of the Armenians died during their exile, but quite a few survived so your claims that Turks wanted to kill all Armenians is incorrect.

I have never said Armenians were not victims of a massive exile and ethnic cleansing from Eastern Anatolia, so I do not know what are you trying to prove by saying why are there so few Armenians now? What is your point in asking why are there Turks? Are you by any chance implying that since there are Turks in Eastern Anatolia, Turks were not victims of massacres? 

Besides there are no Turks in modern day Armenia either. Karpat in International Migration Review says:

Erivan, which had been under Iranian rule had an overwhelming Muslim majority between 1829 and 1914, now became predominantly Armenian: some 270,000 Turco-Tatars lived in Erivan province around 1830; by 1921 their number has dwindled to 1921 to some 89,000 people. 

What is their share of the Erivan population today? Where are these Turco-Tatars now? 

No, Turks were victims ot massacres, which take place during every war. However, they were not victims of Genocide.
Thats exactly my point, so many Turks remained in Western Armenia because there was no Genocide against them. If there was a Genocide, they would have died...

Turco-Tatars were an overwhelmiing majority in Yerevan? Are there any documeted massacres in Yerevan against Turco-Tatars, and if there are where they committed by Armenians? I wouldnt think so...oh and btw, are you quoting McCarthy again, I have seen somewhere that he gets paychecks from the Turkish governements but as of now I cant find that source, when I find it, I will present promptly.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:59

Turco-Tatars were an overwhelmiing majority in Yerevan? Are there any documeted massacres in Yerevan against Turco-Tatars, and if there are where they committed by Armenians? I wouldnt think so...oh and btw, are you quoting McCarthy again, I have seen somewhere that he gets paychecks from the Turkish governements but as of now I cant find that source, when I find it, I will present promptly.

No, the quote was from Kemal Karpat.

The source of the funding for McCarthy's work is irrelevant. It is interesting that instead of attacking the arguments and methodology of the person, you choose to attack ther reputation of the person himself. Attempts to discredit a person on matters such as funding that have no bearing or relevance to the topic at hand can only be attributed to desperation and lack of counterarguments.

I could also argue that Armenians spend millions in promoting their genocide thesis (the recent examply being the documentary that was mentioned in this thread), but I prefer not to enter such a futile discussion.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:02
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:03

No, the quote was from Kemal Karpat.

The source of the funding for McCarthy's work is irrelevant. It is interesting that instead of attacking the arguments and methodology of the person, you choose to attack ther reputation of the person himself. Attempts to discredit a person on matters such as funding that have no bearing or relevance to the topic at hand can only be attributed to desperation and lack of counterarguments.

I could also argue that Armenians spend millions in promoting their genocide thesis (the recent examply being the documentary that was mentioned in this thread), but I prefer not to enter such a futile discussion.

Armenians dont have millions to give to hundreds of historians...and what do you mean the reputation is not important, if he gets 1 million dollars from the Turkish government would you expect him to say Armenian Genocide ocurred?
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:25

http://www.facinghistory.org/facing/fhao2.nsf/all/Genocide+a nd+Denial/$file/AG+Ch+6+Reading+8.pdf

that Lowry and Lifton part is interesting

concerning Lowry this one is interesting too

http://www.princeton.edu/~paw/archive_old/PAW95-96/08_9596/0 124otc.html

Lowry has been the subject of articles in The Chronicle of Higher Education, the Boston Globe, the Times of Trenton, the Philadelphia Inquirer, and The Daily Princetonian. In an interview with the Times of Trenton, university spokesperson Jacquelyn Savani said that the $700,000 given by Turkey for the chair "is not the amount of money, given the $4 billion endowment of Princeton University, that should even raise suspicion. The fact of the matter is that not for $100 million could the Turkish government put its man in that chair. Not with this faculty.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:30
yes well compared to the US budget 100 million is nothing, what it the point? 

700,000 is not a good amount of money? And why did he not give any interviews to defend himself? (at least, I havent seen any)
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 19:57

As the title implies, "The Armenian Genocide," a documentary by New York filmmaker Andrew Goldberg, is unequivocal in its take on history. PBS agreed to air the film -- whose $650,000 budget was partly funded by Armenian Americans -- without major changes, said Goldberg and Jacoba Atlas, a top PBS programming executive.

This is from the Washington Times article one of you posted before.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02 /15/AR2006021502703_pf.html

Using your logic I can ask how objective can a documentary funded by Armenian be? Can we expect it to mention the Genocide against the Muslims?

Actually, I really do not want to enter into this stupid funding argument. Since when has the credibility of research been determined by the source of funding?

Edited by bg_turk
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:29

Actually, I really do not want to enter into this stupid funding argument. Since when has the credibility of research been determined by the source of funding?

Why would Turkey pay him money just to confirm the genocide happened? Why would Turkey go out of its way to fund a historian who is studying a topic that they are trying to get rid of in the media?

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:43

Using your logic I can ask how objective can a documentary funded by Armenian be?

why dont you use logic?

just becuase they helped fund a movie that a person had planned to make even before he got the funding, doesnt make it objective.

so if jews make a movie about the holocaust its objective and shouldnt be accepted?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:52

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

So if the Russian army has a lot of Armenians in it, its pretty ignorant to assume that they are Ottoman Armenians, when it is an established fact that Eastern Armenia belongs to Russia, and naturally, they are going to recruit Armenians into their army. The Young Turks used this as propaganda and called all Armenians traitors to the empire (even though I fail to see how women and children can rebel). In every genocide, the people targeted are all labeled as "traitors".

I personally avoid to use the word "traitor", only simple minded people would use such a term. Armenians children, women an elderly who died during the deportation were not "traitors. Many of them were probably ordinary people who only cared about how to get over the brutal war that was raging around them. But Armenian men in Anatolia were not the "innocent law abiding and loyal Ottoman citizens" that you are trying to make them to be.  

Before 1917 Turkish troops were retreating against the Russians, it seemed like they were loosing the war, they needed every able bodied man on the frontline, why under such circumstance would they bother to deport and kill their law abiding citizens?

Do not forget that this was a time when the Ottoman army lost more than half a milliong men in Gallipoli and hundreds of thousands of soldiers were killed or captivated by the Russians, the number of civilian casualties is far greater. The Turks were fighting an unequal war against virtually all major power - Russia, Britain, France and Italy - all of them had occupied chunks of the Turkish homeland and Greece was about to stage a major invasion into the Anatolian heartland.

Tell me why would under these conditions the Ottoman Empire start a deporation of its "loyal and law abiding" Armenian citizens - at a time when it needed every single man on the frontline? I think the answer is obvious really ...

The fact that Western Armenians collaborated with Russian forces would not make the killings against Armenians less of a Genocide,  but it will raise incovnenient questions about the massacres of hundreds of thousands of muslims by those RussoArmenian forces - massacres whose aim was to pave the way for an ethnicaly pure Armenian homeland of the Armenians (not Turks, not Kurds), massacres of truely genocidal proportions in which more than half a million lost their lives. So please stop trying to white-wash Armenians in this conflict - Armenians did not hesitate to burn the homes of their Muslim neighbours, and kill the children and women of the men that were fighting a desperate war to protect their homeland.

Jews during WW2, Tutsis during the Rwandan genocide, etc.
 Also Crimean Tatars. In 1944 they were accused of being traitors by the Russians and were sent into exile to Siberia, which half of them did not survive, but in fact many Tatars fought within the Red Army against the Nazis. but this is not related to the topic.

I hope you understand why we differentiate between them now...

Yes, I understand that to differentiate between "innocent law abiding and loyal" West Armenians vs East Armenians, who participated in the Russian army as "loyal" Russian subjects is a convenient way to whitewash Armenians for their crimes against the Muslims.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:02

Originally posted by prsn41ife

just becuase they helped fund a movie that a person had planned to make even before he got the funding, doesnt make it objective.

Could you care to elaborate on the bold part please, since I think I missed it while reading the article?

so if jews make a movie about the holocaust its objective and shouldnt be accepted?

If you had read my previous posts you would have noted that my position is that documentaries and articles should be judged by their content, and not by who funds them.

I did not intend to say that this documentary is false because it is funded by armenians, rather I used it as a counterexample to mamikons claim that research and articles should be judged by their source of funding.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:24

An interesting witness account by an Armenian from Van for those who claim that "Western Armenians" were unarmed loyal law-abiding subjects that were not involved in the violance against Muslims:

http://ermeni.org/turkce/vkayutyun.php?tp=ea&lng=eng& ;nmb=33

I was seven years old, when the Turk gendarmes came, threatened us and told us that we should hand over our fire-arms.

At school we were educated with the spirit of patriotism. [I somehow doubt it is Ottoman patriotism :-)]

A few days before the Turks and the Kurds had attacked the shops of the Armenians and had plundered them. There were parties in Van - the Dashnaks, Hnchaks and the Ramkavars, who, seeing the danger, joined and confronted the enemy together. In the city they used to shoot from the fortress incessantly. My uncles Ghevond and Martiros took part in the fighting.

On May 5, when we won, the Turks began to flee by boats over the lake. They took away with them their families, too. The victorious Van people came from Aygestan to Kaghakamedj with a great musical band and began kissing each other.

The first who approached Van was General Andranik, then - Dro, Hamazasp, Gay. Andranik didn't enter Van. After the battle some people of Van began to plunder the houses of the Turks.

Then General Nicolaev organized the Van government which began to function. On 15th of July, General Nicolaev demanded that the Armenians should migrate, for the Turkish army had received great reinforcements and was getting ready to attack. The Armenian leaders, Aram Manoukian and others, refused to migrate and they said to Nicolaev: "We got our victory without any outer help, and we have a strong will-power to defend our country." But Nicolaev and Andranik, as leaders, agreed to retreat together with the Russians. A great commotion started.

And then you have a description of the massacres by the Turks and Kurds.

Of course this Armenian source speaks of Turks "fleeing" with their families. But why would women and children feel the urge to flee, if their life as not in danger? Here is an account of what had happened from the Turkish perspective:

It should be remembered that the Armenians not only committed large massacres in Van, but in the villages as well. The homes in the villages of Timar, Bakale, and zalp were stuffed with hay and set on fire. Those that tried to escape were killed with bullets and bayonets. The inhabitants of a few villages in Zeve got organized and fought against the Armenians, but almost all of them -from seven different villages- were killed. Mass graves are still being uncovered in these villages and a memorial was built.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:30

I personally avoid to use the word "traitor", only simple minded people would use such a term. Armenians children, women an elderly who died during the deportation were not "traitors. Many of them were probably ordinary people who only cared about how to get over the brutal war that was raging around them. But Armenian men in Anatolia were not the "innocent law abiding and loyal Ottoman citizens" that you are trying to make them to be. 

See, you are automatically generalizing all Armenian men. I never tried to make them out to be "innocent law abiding and loyal Ottoman citizens", I simply said the vast majority of Armenians were not traitors or even nationalists. Are you trying to imply that most of them (or even a significant number) were in fact traitors and nationalists? I've never heard of any Armenian political parties or demonstrations in Ottoman Turkey during the Young Turks' reign. The Dashnaks were based in Tbilisi, and most of their work was done against Russians and Communists. Funny how you don't hear of Russian atrocities against Armenians in order to "crush uprisings".

And its funny how Armenians would rebel against a country that had tens of thousands of Armenain soldiers in its ranks, fighting alongside their Turkish countrymen in all the major battles. Why would Armenians send off thousands and thousands of soldiers to fight for the Ottomans and then rebel against them?

Before 1917 Turkish troops were retreating against the Russians, it seemed like they were loosing the war, they needed every able bodied man on the frontline, why under such circumstance would they bother to deport and kill their law abiding citizens?

The Turkish authority started the deportations/massacres before any major losses against the Russians. Basically they started the genocide at a time when they believed they would defeat Russia. Gallipoli and all those major battles happened after 1915.

The fact that Western Armenians collaborated with Russian forces would not make the killings against Armenians less of a Genocide,  but it will raise incovnenient questions about the massacres of hundreds of thousands of muslims by those RussoArmenian forces - massacres whose aim was to pave the way for an ethnicaly pure Armenian homeland of the Armenians (not Turks, not Kurds), massacres of truely genocidal proportions in which more than half a million lost their lives. So please stop trying to white-wash Armenians in this conflict - Armenians did not hesitate to burn the homes of their Muslim neighbours, and kill the children and women of the men that were fighting a desperate war to protect their homeland.

So they deported their entire Armenian population on the suspicion that they were all collaborating with the enemy? What proof did they have of this? Surely there should be thousands of documents of people being charged with espionage all across the empire, from Istanbul to Kars and everything in between. They basically deported an entire population and used this as a petty excuse...I'm sure everyone can see that.

Also Crimean Tatars. In 1944 they were accused of being traitors by the Russians and were sent into exile to Siberia, which half of them did not survive, but in fact many Tatars fought within the Red Army against the Nazis. but this is not related to the topic.

Right. This kind of mentality that the majority of an ethnic population are all collaborating with the enemy is only instilled by the government when they are trying to justify their actions. The fact that there is a world war going on only makes things easier for them (Ottomans).

Yes, I understand that to differentiate between "innocent law abiding and loyal" West Armenians vs East Armenians, who participated in the Russian army as "loyal" Russian subjects is a convenient way to whitewash Armenians for their crimes against the Muslims.

How is it whitewashing anything? I'm simply saying that half the Armenian population was under Russian rule, so there are obviously going to be Armenian soldiers under Russian command. To assume (since you don't have proof) that these Armenians were Ottoman Armenians, and then use it as the basis of your whole argument to prove a genocide, is ignorant.

You're implying that all Armenians regardless of national allegience MUST have been fighting for the same side prior to the deportations/massacres, when this lacks any serious evidence (the type of "genocide" mentality I talked about). There are no records of Ottoman Armenians collaborating with Russians (especially not prior to 1915), and yet this is the basis of your argument.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:37

Of course this Armenian source speaks of Turks "fleeing" with their families. But why would women and children feel the urge to flee, if their life as not in danger? Here is an account of what had happened from the

thats absurd, when soldiers flee, they take their families with them., many germans fled from the americans even though they didnt have anything to fear, the same with the japanese. its just common sense for poeple to flee when their soldiers are fleeing.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 21:39
bg_turk,

Your source on the "Turkish perspective" is a little girl which describes underground tunnels built by Armenians (in 1908, mind you) that could be ridden through on horseback. How did they build such elaborate tunnels when you claim Turks didn't even have enough resources for themselves, not to mention the fact that Turks were involved in every level of government and planning?

The Armenians set up an underground organization in Van, and dug tunnels which extended from near the Great Mosque (Byk Camii) all the way to the old section of town. It was even possible to go through these tunnels on horseback.

Other claims include Armenian soldiers of the Ottoman army carrying amazing up to date weapons, while the Turks had completely outdated guns:

After the Armenians and Jews were permitted to join the military, some groups of Armenians, joined the military with their weapons during the retreat of the Van division. Our soldiers were carrying German-made primitive weapons which could only fire four shots and the fifth one would drop to the gound.

These are some of the most bizzare accusations I've heard (again, lacking severe evidence). And amazing how a little girl knew all these intricate details of what was going on. This isn't an "eyewitness account", it is one Turk's opinion of events. Unless you mean to tell me she witnessed all this happen. Judging by your reasoning on the subject, it wouldn't surprise me if you did.

And your source for the Armenian eye-witness account starts his memior of WW1 with:

In 1914, an eclipse of the sun was observed. The church bells rang. Many people predicted that there would be war. At the beginning of 1915, in April, the Turk gendarmes, led by the monster Djevdet, attacked Van. They had already gathered the young men as if recruit them, but they had slaughtered them on the way. My uncle Ghevond had managed to escape from that massacre.

The fighting began. The Armenians had heard the Turks say: "Van will belong to the Turks." A few days before the Turks and the Kurds had attacked the shops of the Armenians and had plundered them."

I really don't understand why you keep citing sources which defeat your own argument. Your source claims Armenian men were drafted into the army and murdered by order of the Government. This supports the idea that whatever crimes committed against Muslims by Armenians was a spontaneous response to what was being implemented against them by the Turkish authority. So how does this prove there was a plan to exterminate Turks? Please name me one war where there were no warcimes. Warcimes aren't genocides, especially when the side thats being accused was a victim of a genocide just months prior to the alleged event, and even more, is not even a unified national entity

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 22:14

Remember that this is an eye-witness account - when you have this type of interethnic conflict everybody is trying to justify their actions as a response to a previous provocation, thus adding another link to the chain of violance.

My point in including this Armenian eyewitness account was to demonstrate that:

1. Armenians of Van were armed

2. They did participate in the violance against the  Muslims

3. They won in Van and forced the Turks out by use of violance

I do not see how these sources "defeat" my arguments.

You stated that the Ottoman Empire started its relocation before the Russian invasion, could you please quote the date of the first major massacre against the Armenians and the date when the RussoArmenian offensive against the Ottoman Empire had started?

As far as I know the Armenians commemorate 24 April 1915 as the initiation of the deportations and massacres. But the Russian offensive had started earlier, on 4 January 1915 Turkish forces under Ahmet Pasha were defeated by the RussoArmenian forces at the Battle of Sarikamis. The Turks lost 77 thousand men.

According to Encyclopedia Britanica:

A Russian advance from Sarikamis (Sarykamysh, south of Kars) toward Erzurum in Turkish Armenia in November 1914 was countered in December when the Turkish 3rd Army, under Enver himself, launched a three-pronged offensive against the KarsArdahan position. This offensive was catastrophically defeated in battles at Sarikamis and at Ardahan in January 1915; but the Turks, ill-clad and ill-supplied in the Caucasian winter, lost many more men through exposure and exhaustion than in fighting (their 3rd Army was reduced in one month from 190,000 to 12,400 men, the battle casualties being 30,000).

During this campaign the Armenians had created disturbances behind the Turkish lines in support of the Russians and had threatened the already arduous Turkish communications.

http://0-www.search.eb.com.library.uor.edu/eb/article-53136

Edited by bg_turk
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 22:27

here is the bottom line, both armenians and turks massacred, but when you look at the proportion compared to the total population of each, the massacre of armenians by turks would be considered as genocide.

but both sides have to admit their wrongs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 24>