Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Second Siege of Constantinople

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second Siege of Constantinople
    Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 17:16
Originally posted by bg_turk

a world in which Copernicus was never burnt for his ideas
Copernicus was never burnt. How could Islam provide a better alternative to a world you don't know?

Originally posted by Anton

No the were not that wild as you think. Pliska and Preslav fortificatications as well as bulgarian cities in Caucasus according to Horenatsi, prabulgarian calendar, political construction of the countries that they created and some other stuff points that they were not that wild nomadic tribes as some believe. If one compare them to Byzantium and Roman civilizations the comparison will not be in favour of protobulgarians, of course, but it is incorrect to speak about them as wild tribes.

If the reference "civilized" in the region and era is the Byzantine world, the Bulgarians were "wild", "uncivilized". Let's discuss a single aspect: literacy. The debate has ended, thank you.

Edited by Chilbudios - 28-Oct-2006 at 17:17
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 18:40
y 8th century, there's nothing impressive to hear about Bulgars (culture, civilization and influences on Byzantine world).

To prove you wrong, they did (have a culture). Recent theories, which are getting large support by archeological findings suggest that Bulgars came from the region of Bactria, the mountains of Hindukush (sorry if I misspelled it) and are of Indo-iranian origin. In old-bulgar tongue it was called Imeon- "horse mountain". Some places in the region have retained their bulgar names.

Now, about culture- it's been proven that the bulgars had the most accurate callendar, better even then the Gregorian. It was based on a 12 year moon cycle. As far as I know in 1976 some bulgarian scientist proposed that it became official international callendar but it was refused due to problems with switching it with the Gregorian.

Bulgars had sophisticated skills in metallurgy and created fine weapons and jewellery, some of which are preserved today and are in an astounishingly good condition. Bulgars were also very good with leather, medicine and mathematics (the callendar).

Though bulgars were mostly nomadic people, they were surpricingly good with architecture as the capital of "Old Great Bulgaria" proves, as well as the cities in Danube and Volga Bulgaria. The Xth century Preslav was decribed as a splendid city, with great walls and magnificent churches second in the christian world only to Constantinopole.

While Bulgars were pagans they were religously tollerant. Khan Kubrat, the founder of "Old Great Bulgaria" and first acknowledged bulgar ruler was a christian and was raised in the palace of Emperor Heraclius.

The thousands of stone carvings created during the rule of khan Omurtag (815-831) are recorded in european history as "bulgar stone literacy" and are unique.

the reference "civilized" in the region and era is the Byzantine world, the Bulgarians were "wild", "uncivilized".

Recorded by whom, the byzantines? Be fair and look at it logically- the bulgars were natural enemies of the byzantines and in every case byzantine chroniclers tried to describe them as cretinous and strange.
Bulgars had literacy. Look at historical monuments and documents if you don't believe me.

As for later periods- X-XIth century - Bulgaria was the cultural centre for the slavic world. Today largely unknown (and slammed as "bulgarian nationalism") acros Europe is the fact that the cyrylic alphabet, the first slavic literature and art, as well as the autocephalous slavic church were created here. Preslav was the greatest school in the slavic world, formed by the best students of Cyril and Methodius.

So, prove me wrong that bulgars were wild cretins with no culture? Where do you take proof of this, apart of chroniclers such as Theophane?   
Unity makes Strenght
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 19:19
Burdovka, any population in history had a culture, so this is not an issue, the issue is whether they had an advanced culture (where again I must specfify - the reference in this case are the Byzantines). Also, you're unable to focus on Balkan Bulgaria prior to 8th century, falling under the incidence of my earlier observations about a trend of Bulgarian contributors in these forums. To emphasize Bulgarian achievements over Byzantine ones, you are creating an artificial and incoherent mix of factoids gathered from Caucas to Balkans, various populations, various cultures, various moments of time around a mythical essence - the Bulgarians.  Ethnically Kubrat is different of Samuel, though you won't want to agree with me on that.
Also, it's a bit hilarious to attempt to prove a sophisticated culture in Balkans at the end of first millenium AD with achievements like "calendar" or "centralised state".

as well as the cities in Danube and Volga Bulgaria.
I'm a bit familiar with the archaeology on low Danube and I know of no surprising architecture. Have no idea about Volga, though.

The thousands of stone carvings created during the rule of khan Omurtag (815-831) are recorded in european history as "bulgar stone literacy" and are unique.
I know only of several. Can you detail about these thousands? Are they in any online epigraphic database?

Recorded by whom, the byzantines? Be fair and look at it logically- the bulgars were natural enemies of the byzantines and in every case byzantine chroniclers tried to describe them as cretinous and strange.
Bulgars had literacy. Look at historical monuments and documents if you don't believe me.
First, this is a self-contradictory statement. If Bulgarian literacy was anything impressive, how come in the earlier period there are no records from themselves, and we have to rely on Byzantine, Italian or Frankish records? Second, name 10 Bulgarian authors writing under the first Bulgarian Empire. If you succeed, I'll name you 20 contemporary Byzantine authors in exchange.

As for later periods- X-XIth century - Bulgaria was the cultural centre for the slavic world. Today largely unknown (and slammed as "bulgarian nationalism") acros Europe is the fact that the cyrylic alphabet, the first slavic literature and art, as well as the autocephalous slavic church were created here. Preslav was the greatest school in the slavic world, formed by the best students of Cyril and Methodius.
You're conveniently obscuring the huge influence of Byzantine (and particularily Greek) culture. Many of the so called "Bulgarian achivements" were in fact Byzantine achievements transplanted in Balkans, a territory which belonged to Byzantines before and after the first Bulgarian Empire (with temporary and partial reconquests between).

Hyperboles as "wild cretins" betray inferiority complexes.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 19:40
I don't think in sort of  "which dick is longer" could lead to somewhere. Literary Byzantium culture was definitely superior and was the best in the word. Identification of Bulgarian culture in negative terms is improper. Major let us say "function" of it was creation of Slav literary culture which was done by people like St.St.Kliment ad Naum, Konstantin Preslavski, other followers of Konstantine and Methodios and Chernorizec Hrabr during times of Boris, Simeon and Peter.

Edited by Anton - 28-Oct-2006 at 19:45
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 19:56
Anton, the terms become negative in this continuous opposition of Bulgarian history with Byzantine one.
This is the n-th thread opened by a Bulgarian about Byzantine history in order to emphasize Bulgarian brilliance.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 20:59
There was several attempts to change it into something usefull.   Did you try to support them?Wink Bulgarian brilliance need not to be emphasized it is obvious Tongue

Edited by Anton - 28-Oct-2006 at 21:01
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:14
Originally posted by bg_turk

Originally posted by Constantine XI

As I myself have hinted at earlier, this really was a team effort of which both civilisations can take a lot of pride in. By defeating this invasion they saved Western Civilisation and did a great service to humanity.

Who knows? If the Bulgars did not prevent the Arabs from crushing byzantium, Europe may have been liberated by the progressive forces in the East and may never have had to go through the dark ages. Western Civilisation ( or rather lack thereof), which brought about the inquisution, colonialism and the destruction of the native peoples of America, may have been stamped out by the progressive forces of Islam. It would have been a very different world then - a world in which Copernicus was never burnt for his ideas, a world in which America still beloned to its rightful owners.

Progressive forces from the east? The same east which today is largely a collection of despotisms, dictatorships, absolute monarchies and theocracies; as compared to the West which is largely made up of secular, liberal democratic states?

Islam has shown itself to be just as assiduous in persecuting religious deviants as Christianity and just as willing to conquer other lands for the sake of its own aggrandizement. Islam also showed itself more than willing to impose itself through conquest on foreign people as the West, the only reason they never did so like the West has done over the past 500 years has been its relative insularity and lack of technological and military backing. Islam's intellectual and progressive drive largely began to peter out in the 13th century and it became more insular and conservative, while shortly after the West began its revival and has led the world in progress and innovation ever since.

Also the Dark Ages occurred largely because Western Europe was cut off from the mercantile and urban exchange in the Mediterannean world by the arrival of Islam, not because of any inherent ideological deficiencies in the organisation of Western Civilisation.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:31

Come on, Constantine. Dark Ages occured because of human nature, not arrival of Islam. Remember for example what happened in Europe including Russia just few tens of years ago.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:35

Come on, Constantine. Dark Ages occured because of human nature, not arrival of Islam. Remember for example what happened in Europe including Russia just few tens of years ago.

There was an interesting discussion about this not long ago, in which it looks very plausible that Europe suffered greatly intellectually and in terms of urban development because the Arabs constricted Mediterannean trade. Of course there were other factors, notably the invasion of pagan peoples such as the Vikings and Magyars.

Once Europeans defeated the pagans and re-established themselves as a formidable naval power in the Mediterannean, urban reconstruction and development began again.

How did the Dark Ages arrive because of "human nature"?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:49
Sorry that I answer by question, but how could you explain things like stalinism and fascism?
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 05:59

Sorry that I answer by question, but how could you explain things like stalinism and fascism?

The thing about the Dark Ages was simply that they are considered "Dark Ages" because we do not know all that much about them. Much of this is due to the fact that Europe, no longer able to access Egyptian papyrus thanks to the decline in Mediterannean trade, had to use parchment instead. Parchment is quite expensive and time consuming to make, so Europeans simply did not have adequate supplies of writing material to copy every text which was handed down from classical times. Byzantium did manage to copy such texts, however, thanks to its relative wealth and strength.

Across Europe there was a universal decline in security. Pagan and Islamic invasions put further pressure on Europe, the response to which was the development of the feudal system. Decentralisation, increasing insecurity and the decline of trade from the Med. Sea saw Europe undergo a decline in urban development.

Ultimately because of these factors, Europe became increasingly agrarian and we have relatively less writing from this period come down to us compared to that of the classical world or the High Middle Ages (11th-mid 14th century).

Stalinism and fascism were systems developed by states who wished to ensure their own security and development based on ideological conformity to idealised dogma.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 09:05
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Copernicus was never burnt. How could Islam provide a better alternative to a world you don't know?

I mixed Copernicus and Bruno. This does not change the argument. It was a time when the muslim world was more advanced than the backward theocratic christians - it was in the muslim world where mathematic, astrnomy and other sciences thrived, whereas scientists were put to deat in the most hedious way across in the western world.

What pushed the West ahead was in my opinino the discover of the new world and access to unlimitted resources. If Iberia remained under Moor control, it may have been the muslims who colonized the new world, and the industrial revolution may have first taken place in a muslim country.

Edited by bg_turk - 29-Oct-2006 at 09:07
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 09:08
OK, that sounds like an interesting explanation. I didn't understand you at the beggining.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 09:47
I mixed Copernicus and Bruno. This does not change the argument. It was a time when the muslim world was more advanced than the backward theocratic christians - it was in the muslim world where mathematic, astrnomy and other sciences thrived, whereas scientists were put to deat in the most hedious way across in the western world.
Bruno can be hardly called a scientist (and by scientist I mean of course a "natural philosopher", as they were called in those days), he was a big-mouthed mystic with interesting ideas (mostly copied from Cusanus and others which were not burnt for them!). Western Churches had  their periods of instransigence but the Christians in the eras you addressed weren't by far the backward society (Muslim society was as well theocratic - you're making false differences here) you're trying to picture. I'll rephrase my challenge - for each Muslim scholar, explorer, engineer, artist, reformer you'll name for 16-17th centuries (Bruno was burnt in 1600), I'll give you three contemporary Europeans from Christian world. I also expect from you a representative list with "scientists" put to death in Western Europe for their "scientific" discoveries.

What pushed the West ahead was in my opinino the discover of the new world and access to unlimitted resources. If Iberia remained under Moor control, it may have been the muslims who colonized the new world, and the industrial revolution may have first taken place in a muslim country.
As discussed in another thread here one early European industrial revolution is the one from 12-13th centuries, long before Europe entered the Colonial era. Your perspective is not supported by evidences.

Interesting how from Arabs vs Byzantines in 717-718 we reached to a whole millenium of Islam vs Christianity. Perhaps Anton was right, I'm feeding too many off-topics here. So bg_turk, if you are interested in the discussion you started make a new thread and be sure I'll join. Otherwise let's try to close all our parantheses.

Edited by Chilbudios - 29-Oct-2006 at 09:59
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 10:31
Lets agree that byzantine culture was the best during middle ages.But if you look at bulgarian cultural achievements they have the same importance.After all thanks to bulgarians many of east european countries form their cultures(like ukraine,russia,belarus,serbia,romania,moldova).
We bulgarians created the third alphabet in europe.And as one medieval author said "If you ask greeks who created their alphabet they wont know,if you ask bulgarians who created their alphabet they will answer Cyril and Metodius."Tell me today how many countries use greek alphabet and how many use cyrilic.
I read in some of your posts why there so few bulgarian literally pieces.I will answer you.First many was destroyed during ottoman invasion.Second many other were destroyed during ottoman slavery but not by turks but by greeks,who tried to destroy bulgarian culture and to henellize(sorry if the verb is not correct) bulgarian population.On the other hand there are many russian works which actually are copies of bulgarian ones.

Another fact of high advanced bulgarian culture is its calendar.And you may not believe it but this is the most accurate calendar in the world.And its is one of the main arguments that bulgarians are not a turkic tribe.

Lets talk about architecture.It is true that bulgarians were very skilled in building fortresses and cities.Other turk tribes didnt have that skills.For example bulgarians built about 100 fortress just during the reign of creator of Bulgaria khan Asparukh.We also built fortresses in Crymean Peninsula and places where was situated Old Great Bulgaria.A proof for bulgairan engineering skill is Volga Bulgaria which existed also with the name Kazan or Qazan.If you dont know Cremlin palace in Moscow is built as a greater copy of palace in kazan which was built by volga bulgarian in 11th century.

Edited by Krum - 29-Oct-2006 at 10:31
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 13:00
Krum if your referring to "Bulgars" they were and are a Turkic people's Bulgarians arn't the only one's with Bulgar heritage, Volga-Tatar-s/Chuvash also are descendants of Bulgar's, they speak Turkic language and have Turkic identity. Chuvash are Christian, Volga-Tatar are Muslim and the continuation of Volga Bulgar's. 

The original Kermen's are by the Bulgar's, the Russian destroyed alot of the original complex but were amazed by its beauty and started using it and building similar complexes which are known as "Kremlin's" today.

Soyum-bike Tower

Historic and Architectural Complex of the Kazan Kremlin

Kremlin comes from the Turkic kermen=fortress

The Bolgar historical-architectural complex

Little Minaret Bolgar

Ruins of Black Palace

The Bulgar's were not primitive, wild loonatics, they were advanced, powerfull and had a high level of civillisation. They founded many great cities some which are still used today like, Kazan, Yelabuga. Bulgar's had alot of influence on their neighbours and had sophisticated and tolerant forms of government, economy and laws.

Unfortuntaely Bulgars like the Khazars have been neglected by mainstream historians, there have been little archeological investigations, restorations and so on.

Still the cities of Asli, Turkchin, Tav ile have not been discovered, they were known to be great cities.

At its prime, Bolgar was one of the greatest cities of its era.

Edited by Bulldog - 29-Oct-2006 at 14:07
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 13:43
That is just what i mean.Thanks for the photos Bulldog.
Plato
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 16:40
Is there similar architecture in Bulgaria?
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 17:58
I dont think so.After all Volga bulgars and Danube bulgars developed their own architectural styles.We were influenced by christianity and byzantines and volga bulgars were influenced by islam.

Edited by Krum - 29-Oct-2006 at 17:58
Plato
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 01:19
Originally posted by Bulldog

Krum if your referring to "Bulgars" they were and are a Turkic people's Bulgarians arn't the only one's with Bulgar heritage, Volga-Tatar-s/Chuvash also are descendants of Bulgar's

I found a mighty proof:

Although were considered as Tatars by others, we are actually Bulgarians. Our closest relatives are the Bulgarians of the Danube. Just some of us stayed at the Volga River, while others went to the Danube and mixed with the Slavs.

Talgat Tadjmudin Sheikh ul-Islam, Mufti, chairman of the clerical council of the Muslims in Russia and the European countries

Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>