Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ruszki & Kiernozia 39- Panzers crushed by infantry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruszki & Kiernozia 39- Panzers crushed by infantry
    Posted: 19-Dec-2008 at 23:42

There is a lot of official data and not all give the same amounts. But I think it is not very important if 236 or 217.

Yes, I mentioned those of Emmerling. I know he is discussed controversially but mostly in Poland.

When the war began at the 1st of September, only in one capitol people were chearing. Since month placards were hanging in the streets that were calling for to march to the neighbour's capitol, chauvinistic politicians were calling for annexions of great parts of their neighbour country. This was not Berlin - it was Warsaw. Polish newsletter were cheering for a Polish successful march on Berlin, even when German troops stood before Bromberg, they spoke about French campaigns through the Westwall and of success in East Prussia allthough no Polish soldier ever went to. The connection between the Reich and East Prussia was fullfilled still on September 4th. The Polish government left Warsaw on the 5th of September (!) and left towards the Romanian border. On the 14th of September the Polish government, till that day, talking about one victory after the other, gave up the chance to win. The main forces of Poland were defeated. Only greater troops in Warsaw hadn't surrender, on Hela and in Modlin too. The last fights were in early Oktober around Kock. But I can't see any chance for Poland that they could have won. And I can't see why the appearance of the SU was responsible for the Polish defeat. Nobody denies the strong resistance of the Polish forces. They fought brave. There is a German joke, about the three wishes of German soldiers. The first one is the mass of soldiers as the Russians have, the 2nd the mass of material that the Americans had and the 3rd wish is the Italians as enemies. I'd never heard this about Poles. So you needn't win the war after it's over and creating myths.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2008 at 05:45
Originally posted by beorna

The Polish government left Warsaw on the 5th of September (!) and left towards the Romanian border. On the 14th of September the Polish government, till that day, talking about one victory after the other, gave up the chance to win. The main forces of Poland were defeated. Only greater troops in Warsaw hadn't surrender, on Hela and in Modlin too.

Here are some facts about Polish army.

On the 1st September, Polish army was composed of:
- 20 divisions of infantry
- 5 brigades of infantry
- 8 brigades of cavalry
- 1 mechanised brigade

Just before Soviet agression, Polish army was composed of:
- 26 divisions of infantry
- 4 brigades of cavalry
- 2 mechanised brigades

It was the effect of mobilisation.

In the meantime, Polish army lost:
- 11 divisions of infantry
- 7 brigades of cavalry

As you can see, Polish army just before Soviet attack, wasn't much weaker than in the first day of the war.
Moreover, Polish government was still in Poland when Soviet Union joined to war.

So you needn't win the war after it's over and creating myths.

I don't see it in this way. I think that Domen wants to show you uknown to you point of view. Unknown, because neither Germany, nor Soviet Union, nor France nor GB were interested in showing truth about the war in Poland.

France ad GB could say "Poland has fallen too fast, so we can't meet our obligations". The fact that Polish army just before Soviet agression wasn't defeated was inconvenient very much for French and British politicians.
Germany could say "We have won the war in 2 weeks", what in fact means "Our Furher is a genius and our soldiers are so good".
Soviet Union could say "Poland doesn't exist. Polish government has left Poland. We are entering Poland to defend our Belarussian and Ukrainian brothers".

There is only one problem. Polish army existed on the 17th September, 1939. Although it was partially demaged, thanks to mobilisation it wasn't much weaker than in the first day of the war. Polish army was fighting. Polish government left Poland only after Soviet attack.

Nobody says that Poland could win the war alone. But it is more than certain that French and British offensive from the West, had to change military situation in Poland. It had to change because western German borders were weakly protected. First of all, Germany had to move Luftwaffe to western front. Second of all, it had to deploy most of its divisions to western front. Germany in 1939 didn't have enough forces to fight on 2 fronts simultaneously. The winter was coming... Germany wasn't ready for a long war. It was ready only for a short campaign against one enemy.
Poland had its problems too. Polish army had stocks only for 3 months of fighting. The help from France and GB was necessary. Therefore Polish army and Polish government was withdrawing to Romanian bridgehead. It was the place where the Poles could gain supplies.

If GB and France had met their obligations and if SU hadn't attacked, everything would happend. And I think it is Domen's point.

Edited by ataman - 20-Dec-2008 at 06:22
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2008 at 23:05
Originally posted by ataman

As you can see, Polish army just before Soviet attack, wasn't much weaker than in the first day of the war.
Moreover, Polish government was still in Poland when Soviet Union joined to war.

9/17: Brest-Litowsk captured, 600 POW's. Deblin lost, 100 undestroyed planes captured. around Sedlice 12000 POW's captured.
9/16: SE of Warsaw 8000 POW's captured. Bialystok lost
9/15: Gdingen lost.
9/13: Sambor and Jaworow lost. Polish Troops South of Radom destroyed. 5 Div and 2 Cav.Brig. encircled at Kutno. Less resistance in South Poland. 60000 POW's captured at Radom. 18th Polish Div. surrendered North of Ostrow-Mazowieka. 6000 POW's. Osowiec lost.
9/12:Betwen Zwolen and Lysa Gora 4 Div surrender. Sambor lost, Krakowicze lost. An unknown amount of POW's South of Radom.
9/11:Neustadt and Putzig lost.
9/9: Just a few Polish planes in the air. German troops cross Bug, Wieprz and San
9/7: Neu-Sandez lost. Krakow lost. Kielce lost. In the Tucheler Heather 9th and 27th Polish Div., one Polish Tank-Bat., two Hunter-Bat's and Cav.Brig Pomorska destroyed. Westerplatte lost. Great parts of Prov. Posen lost.
9/6:Upper Silesia lost. Cichanow lost. 10000 POW's captured. Bromberg lost.Kielce lost.
9/5: 7th Polish Div destroyed. Jaworzno lost.. Graudenz lost. 40 Polish airplanes lost (15 in Air fight)
9/4:7 Airplanes shot down over Warsaw. Ostrowo, Krotoschin and Lissa lost. Corridor opened.
9/3: Tschenstochau lost.
9/2: Pless lost. Wielun lost.

That's doesn't sound like an Polish success. But you're right, Polish fighting went on. But on 9/19 50000 POW's captured at Bzura, 10000 POW's north of Lemberg. On 9/20 at Bzura more POW's captured, now 105000. Till 9/21 there were still 170000 POW's captured, but nine Div and parts of ten more Div were still fighting at the Weichsel river. At Zamosz and Tomaszow 60000 POW's captured and in Gdingen 12000 POW'S.

The OKW reported on 9/23, mission acclompished.Only warsaw, Modlin and Hela went on fighting. About 450000 Polish soldiers were captured till that day. On 9/27 41st Polish Div and 1st Cav Brig were captured east of Bilgoraj. On 9/28 Warsaw and Modlin surrendered, with about 140000 soldiers. 910/2 Hela surrendered with 4000 soldiers and 0n 10/6 Kock with 17000 soldiers.

I don't see it in this way. I think that Domen wants to show you uknown to you point of view. Unknown, because neither Germany, nor Soviet Union, nor France nor GB were interested in showing truth about the war in Poland.
This sounds like a Polish kind of "Dolchstoßlegende".

France ad GB could say "Poland has fallen too fast, so we can't meet our obligations". The fact that Polish army just before Soviet agression wasn't defeated was inconvenient very much for French and British politicians.
Germany could say "We have won the war in 2 weeks", what in fact means "Our Furher is a genius and our soldiers are so good".
Soviet Union could say "Poland doesn't exist. Polish government has left Poland. We are entering Poland to defend our Belarussian and Ukrainian brothers".

There is only one problem. Polish army existed on the 17th September, 1939. Although it was partially demaged, thanks to mobilisation it wasn't much weaker than in the first day of the war. Polish army was fighting. Polish government left Poland only after Soviet attack..
I hope I could show you that the Polish army, also heavyly and brave fighting was beaten and encircled on all parts of the front.

Nobody says that Poland could win the war alone. But it is more than certain that French and British offensive from the West, had to change military situation in Poland. It had to change because western German borders were weakly protected. First of all, Germany had to move Luftwaffe to western front. Second of all, it had to deploy most of its divisions to western front. Germany in 1939 didn't have enough forces to fight on 2 fronts simultaneously. The winter was coming... Germany wasn't ready for a long war. It was ready only for a short campaign against one enemy.
Poland had its problems too. Polish army had stocks only for 3 months of fighting. The help from France and GB was necessary. Therefore Polish army and Polish government was withdrawing to Romanian bridgehead. It was the place where the Poles could gain supplies.

If GB and France had met their obligations and if SU hadn't attacked, everything would happend. And I think it is Domen's point.
And if the USA hadn't helped the Allies and Russia than Germany had won the war. If the Italians hadn't failed in Albania or  in Africa Hitler had attacked Russia earlier and we hadn't moved troops to africa and, and, and. If there weren't the word if. I can't see that Russia is responsible for the Polish defeat. But I can agree that a allied attack in the West could have had helped the Polish troops, but perhaps just for awhile. We'll never know.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2008 at 20:35

This sounds like a Polish kind of "Dolchstoßlegende".

And if the USA hadn't helped the Allies and Russia than Germany had won the war. If the Italians hadn't failed in Albania or  in Africa Hitler had attacked Russia earlier and we hadn't moved troops to africa and, and, and. If there weren't the word if. I can't see that Russia is responsible for the Polish defeat. But I can agree that a allied attack in the West could have had helped the Polish troops, but perhaps just for awhile. We'll never know.

very good points. i don't see how this talk changes anything because the battles & wars we talk about have already been fought and they are long over.

let's speak hypothetically. now we change all history books. we will give full credit to all Polish achievemnts and we will write that Poland could have hold out longer. we will write Poland was militarically a great nation that fought well. at the end of the day, what will it change for you? what will it change for Poland? what will it change for the world? will Poles walk in the street with heads raised up and pride in their chetsts? what will be the difference? will Poland or Polish people gain a new status in the world? i still fail to see the point of those threads. yes, there were a lot of interesting new photos and some of the info was maybe not so very well known to the general public. (the Osprey book on the 1939 campaign deals very well with Polish air combat sucesses as well as Mokra).
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 05:36
Originally posted by Temujin

at the end of the day, what will it change for you?

Temujin,

If somebody, who is not interested in history, wrote this, I would understand him. But you? You, who are a fierce debater of so many historical discussions? Do you remember our hot discussion about .... a role of lance pennats? 
And now you ask "what will it change?" Maybe nothing. But the man like you, should understand very well the importance of the TRUTH for people interested in history.

Edited by ataman - 22-Dec-2008 at 05:51
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2008 at 18:04
Since we've been discussing the Polish campaing in such in details, I want to add that besided "cooperation" there was a number of clashes betrween the advancing German and Soviet forces.

Some skirmishes have lasted for hours. At one instance Soviet bombers attacked a German column near Belostok on another German artillery opened fire on advacing Soviet tanks.
A German ifantry formations had a sevaral  hours combat with a Soviet cavalry division.
In another "accident"  Soviet tanks attacked German 2nd mountain division's units near Lvov.

Both sides had casualties...
Σαυρομάτης
Domen View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Domen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2008 at 18:00

Yes, I mentioned those of Emmerling. I know he is discussed controversially but mostly in Poland.

Well, it is hard for him not be discussed in Poland, if he is half Polish, was born in Silesia, and knows Polish really pretty well...

He is present on the Polish WW2 forums - including dws forum - and I was even discussing with him in this thread (and some other also):

http://www.dws.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121285

http://www.dws.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121285&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=750

I think his books are pretty good, but he made some mistakes because he was not comparing Polish and German sources.

We proved him that he was mistaken in some cases - for example the case of air victories of Gnys on 1st of September.

And no - German reports were not mistaken in that case !!! He just did not understand them correctly - and did not compare them correctly with Polish reports and relations !!!

and of success in East Prussia allthough no Polish soldier ever went to.

Actually, there was an escapade to East Prussia made by Podlaska Cavalry Brigade - several dozen POWs from Grenzschutz and Selbshutz were captured during it as far as I remember.

The main forces of Poland were defeated. Only greater troops in Warsaw hadn't surrender, on Hela and in Modlin too.

Look at the maps which I posted before once again, because you are writing rubbish.

The Polish government left Warsaw on the 5th of September (!) and left towards the Romanian border.

Towards Włodzimierz Wołyński (it is not near Romanian Border).

Later to Stanisławów in Romanian Bridgehead.

It left towards Romania on 17th of September - after the Soviet agression.

On the 14th of September the Polish government, till that day, talking about one victory after the other, gave up the chance to win.

Can you explain it further and more precisely, because I don't know what do you mean - give some facts, not empty slogans.

Deblin lost, 100 undestroyed planes captured.

It is a myth created by the Germans.

All of them were damaged (or in combat, or later - purposely by the Poles), and the number was lower than 100 (several dozens).

9/13 Polish Troops South of Radom destroyed.

It is a shame for you!

You are from Germany and you cannot even use German sources properly!

Read my posts on Axis History Forum in this thread:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=145228

9/12:Betwen Zwolen and Lysa Gora 4 Div surrender.

4. Infantry Division took part in the battle of Bzura - between 11th and 22nd of September.

It surrendered on 22nd of September, not 12th of September.

Be friendly and give sources for your claims on the next time Wink

9/6:Upper Silesia lost. Cichanow lost. 10000 POW's captured.

Capturing 10 thousands POWs in the battle of Mława was invented by Robert Kennedy in his book "The German campaign in Poland".

In fact the Germans did not capture even 1 thousand POWs during the battle of Mława.

If you want I can give you figures from the Polish reports about strength of both divisions of this army after the end of the battle.

That's doesn't sound like an Polish success. But you're right, Polish fighting went on. But on 9/19 50000 POW's captured at Bzura, 10000 POW's north of Lemberg. On 9/20 at Bzura more POW's captured, now 105000. Till 9/21 there were still 170000 POW's captured, but nine Div and parts of ten more Div were still fighting at the Weichsel river. At Zamosz and Tomaszow 60000 POW's captured and in Gdingen 12000 POW'S.

The OKW reported on 9/23, mission acclompished.Only warsaw, Modlin and Hela went on fighting. About 450000 Polish soldiers were captured till that day.

These figures are correct.

But it was all after 17th of September - after the Soviet agression.

And the Poles had no longer any reason to fight, because after the Soviet invasion the war was definitely lost.

On 9/27 41st Polish Div and 1st Cav Brig were captured east of Bilgoraj.

Because the Soviets attacked them from the east, and they were negotiating with the Germans, that they will surrender if the Germans allow them to march across their lines towards the west - to escape from the Soviets.

9/7: Neu-Sandez lost. Krakow lost. Kielce lost. In the Tucheler Heather 9th and 27th Polish Div., one Polish Tank-Bat., two Hunter-Bat's and Cav.Brig Pomorska destroyed. Westerplatte lost. Great parts of Prov. Posen lost.

9th and 27th divisions were not destroyed but suffered big casualties (9th division lost around 50% of its forces, 27th division - around 30%).

Pomorska C.B. was not destroyed, but lost around 50% of its strength.

"Prov. Posen" - you mean - Greater Poland - was not defended on that day (only on 1st and 2nd of September there were some combats with attacking regiments of Grenzschutz).

(the Osprey book on the 1939 campaign deals very well with Polish air combat sucesses as well as Mokra).

German and Polish reports - if you know how to read and interprete them correctly - deals very well with Osprey book...

Read memories of Eberbach and some Polish and German combat reports before reading poor books by Osprey publishing:

http://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=29235

Since we've been discussing the Polish campaing in such in details, I want to add that besided "cooperation" there was a number of clashes betrween the advancing German and Soviet forces.

Some skirmishes have lasted for hours. At one instance Soviet bombers attacked a German column near Belostok on another German artillery opened fire on advacing Soviet tanks.
A German ifantry formations had a sevaral  hours combat with a Soviet cavalry division.
In another "accident"  Soviet tanks attacked German 2nd mountain division's units near Lvov.

There were 3 or 4 such events (one of them near Lwów).

In every such case Germans were "begging the Soviets to forgive them" and both allies were declaring that it was a mistake, and confirming their "friendship" (faked, but still "friendship")...

There is a lot of official data and not all give the same amounts. But I think it is not very important if 236 or 217.

According to Toeppel - book "Die Offensive gegen Kurks" - according to official data in the battle of Kursk - together with Operation "Kutuzow" - in July of 1943 the Germans lost 248 tanks as "Totalshaden".

The difference is that the Soviets which opposed the Germans there, had got 5 Panzer Armies - and how many Panzer Armies did Poland have in 1939 ???

When the war began at the 1st of September, only in one capitol people were chearing.

Yes - and it was Berlin.

In Warsaw people were chearing, but on 3rd of September, not on 1st of September - when England and France declared war to Germany.

But I think it is not very important if 236 or 217.

The problem is that it is only the number of tanks which were written-off in September of 1939, not the number of those, which classified to be written-off due to the Polish campaign.

It is a huge difference between these two kinds of numbers.

According to Czechoslovakian sources, 6 Pz-35(t) were classified to be written-off in 1941, but only 1 of them really WAS written-off in 1941.

And in 1942 10 such tanks were written-off (including 5 which were - in fact - lost yet during the previous year).

So tank was lost in 1941, but was written-off from Panzerwaffe resources in 1942 - one year later!

It clearly shows, that casualties in Poland were higher than 236 tanks - because 236 were written-off in September, but some of tanks which were lost in Poland in 1939, were still being write-off during the following months of the following year - 1940 - and also of 1939.

I have a data in which there are more than 100 tanks, which were written-off from Panzerwaffe in period since October 1939 until the beginning of the Westfeldzug, for which reason of writing-off is not given.

I'm pretty shure that those 100+ tanks were written-off due to the Polish campaign of 1939.

So the complete number of "Totalshaden" (tanks completely destroyed) during the Polish Campaign, most probably was around 350 - 300 - if not including the Soviet tanks (the Soviets written-off 47 tanks in September of 1939 due to the Polish campaign + maybe some more later).

For this problem see my posts here:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75823&start=30

At least around 102 - 105 additional completely lost tanks - which were written-off after September of 1939 - are "for the Polish Campaign" most probably.

Edited by Domen - 23-Dec-2008 at 18:41
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 00:54
Originally posted by Domen

Actually, there was an escapade to East Prussia made by Podlaska Cavalry Brigade - several dozen POWs from Grenzschutz and Selbshutz were captured during it as far as I remember.

OK, that was for sure a great victory

The main forces of Poland were defeated. Only greater troops in Warsaw hadn't surrender, on Hela and in Modlin too.

Look at the maps which I posted before once again, because you are writing rubbish.
So perhaps we have different maps. I am convinced my are correct.

The Polish government left Warsaw on the 5th of September (!) and left towards the Romanian border.

Towards Włodzimierz Wołyński (it is not near Romanian Border).
Later to Stanisławów in Romanian Bridgehead.
It left towards Romania on 17th of September - after the Soviet agression.
I said they left towards. I did not say they went to Romania or they stayed directly at the border. But as far as I can see, you agree that they did not believe Warsaw is sure any longer for them. Or was it just a vacation tour?

On the 14th of September the Polish government, till that day, talking about one victory after the other, gave up the chance to win.

Can you explain it further and more precisely, because I don't know what do you mean - give some facts, not empty slogans.
You can search in Polish gazettes for it. But as far as I can see, you are still talking of an polish victory against the German forces.

Deblin lost, 100 undestroyed planes captured.

It is a myth created by the Germans.
All of them were damaged (or in combat, or later - purposely by the Poles), and the number was lower than 100 (several dozens).
Well I did not proof it. So I accept the possibility that I went wrong. But I do not trust your sources.

9/13 Polish Troops South of Radom destroyed.

It is a shame for you!
You are from Germany and you cannot even use German sources properly!
The OKW e.g. reports:" The south of Radom encircled Polish troops have finished to exist.; great prey of POW's, Artillery and military equipment still uncounted."

9/12:Betwen Zwolen and Lysa Gora 4 Div surrender.

4. Infantry Division took part in the battle of Bzura - between 11th and 22nd of September.
It surrendered on 22nd of September, not 12th of September.
Be friendly and give sources for your claims on the next time Wink
I did not say 4th Division, I wrote four Divisions

9/6:Upper Silesia lost. Cichanow lost. 10000 POW's captured.

Capturing 10 thousands POWs in the battle of Mława was invented by Robert Kennedy in his book "The German campaign in Poland".
In fact the Germans did not capture even 1 thousand POWs during the battle of Mława.
If you want I can give you figures from the Polish reports about strength of both divisions of this army after the end of the battle.

Perhaps this he invented the idea that 10000 POW's were captured in the battle of Mlawa. Again I didn't write they were captured at Mlawa. It was late, so I apologize, I wrote very shortened. I mentioned that during the campaign from East Prussia via Mlawa towards Rozan at the Narew about 10000 POW's were captured.

That's doesn't sound like an Polish success. But you're right, Polish fighting went on. But on 9/19 50000 POW's captured at Bzura, 10000 POW's north of Lemberg. On 9/20 at Bzura more POW's captured, now 105000. Till 9/21 there were still 170000 POW's captured, but nine Div and parts of ten more Div were still fighting at the Weichsel river. At Zamosz and Tomaszow 60000 POW's captured and in Gdingen 12000 POW'S.The OKW reported on 9/23, mission acclompished.Only warsaw, Modlin and Hela went on fighting. About 450000 Polish soldiers were captured till that day.

And the Poles had no longer any reason to fight, because after the Soviet invasion the war was definitely lost.

Glad to hear that I qouted it correct. So about 850000 soldiers were still in action, but encircled, pressed together of very small areas. Where was the rest of you army? This is quite a half, isn't it?

9th and 27th divisions were not destroyed but suffered big casualties (9th division lost around 50% of its forces, 27th division - around 30%).
Pomorska C.B. was not destroyed, but lost around 50% of its strength.
"Prov. Posen" - you mean - Greater Poland - was not defended on that day (only on 1st and 2nd of September there were some combats with attacking regiments of Grenzschutz).
Ok. Not destroyed. Your 50% make it clear, it was aPolish success.
Not defended - but lost.

German and Polish reports - if you know how to read and interprete them correctly -
and I am sure you're the one who only can. I met a lot guys here like you.

Originally posted by Sarmat

There were 3 or 4 such events (one of them near Lwów).
In every such case Germans were "begging the Soviets to forgive them" and both allies were declaring that it was a mistake, and confirming their "friendship" (faked, but still "friendship")...
This happens when two armies are rolling towards each other. You choice of words show me very clear, that you're far from objectivity.

[QUOTE=beorna]
When the war began at the 1st of September, only in one capitol people were chearing.

Yes - and it was Berlin.
In Warsaw people were chearing, but on 3rd of September, not on 1st of September - when England and France declared war to Germany.

the main German population was not happy about a war. Yes, the Nazis cheered, that's what they ever did untill the end.

Domen View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Domen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 01:01

That's doesn't sound like an Polish success. But you're right, Polish fighting went on. But on 9/19 50000 POW's captured at Bzura, 10000 POW's north of Lemberg. On 9/20 at Bzura more POW's captured, now 105000. Till 9/21 there were still 170000 POW's captured, but nine Div and parts of ten more Div were still fighting at the Weichsel river. At Zamosz and Tomaszow 60000 POW's captured and in Gdingen 12000 POW'S.The OKW reported on 9/23, mission acclompished.Only warsaw, Modlin and Hela went on fighting. About 450000 Polish soldiers were captured till that day.

Glad to hear that I qouted it correct. So about 850000 soldiers were still in action, but encircled, pressed together of very small areas. Where was the rest of you army? This is quite a half, isn't it?

But these figures are as for 23rd of September, not as for 17th of September.

The vast majority of those soldiers were captured - as you even noticed - after 17th of September.

To this you must the Soviet figures - these are of course figures for the whole campaign - but they probably captured the majority of those soldiers during first several days (maybe during the first week):

- Ukrainian Front claimed capturing 392,334 Polish POWs.
- Byelorussian Front claimed capturing 60,202 Polish POWs.

To this we must add those who escaped to Romania and other neighbouring countries between 17th and 23rd of September (of course many escaped also later - after 23rd of September).

the main German population was not happy about a war.

As well as the main Polish population.

But unfortunately it was not "the main population" which was rulling over III Reich - as well as the II Republic of Poland...

Perhaps this he invented the idea that 10000 POW's were captured in the battle of Mlawa. Again I didn't write they were captured at Mlawa. It was late, so I apologize, I wrote very shortened. I mentioned that during the campaign from East Prussia via Mlawa towards Rozan at the Narew about 10000 POW's were captured.

Well - this explanation changes everything.

I suppose that it is very possible that they captured around 10,000 along the whole frontline during the first six days.

I suppose that the majority of them were from 7. Infantry Division - which was destroyed - and some parts of Army "Pomorze" which were encircled and later defeated or at least suffered huge casualties.

Not defended - but lost.

Why not defended? - Corridor was defended.

But militarilly it was a huge mistake to put there so big forces - because it was later hard for them to get out of this area, when Guderian cut them off after some initial, fierce battles.

Politically it was a good move - because Poland showed the world that Pomerania is important for it.

But it is not politics which wins military conflicts...

I did not say 4th Division, I wrote four Divisions

OK - sorry. Btw - I must check this info.

Do you know which divisions is it about ?

The OKW e.g. reports:" The south of Radom encircled Polish troops have finished to exist.; great prey of POW's, Artillery and military equipment still uncounted."

Yes - but OKW report was wrong. Of course - some part of Polish forces near Radom surrendered on 11th and 12th of September. But the majority of them - did not surrender. Big part of them broke through to the eastern bank of Vistula, and some other part was still fighting with the Germans in the area around Radom - Kielce.

Read the link which I provided (to this forum) - read my posts there - I quoted there some German reports from a later period.

Even on 18th of September there was still Polish resistance in the area around Radom.

But as far as I can see, you are still talking of an polish victory against the German forces.

When did I write anything like that?

I only wrote that if not the Soviet invasion there was a chance for further, longer than in real, resistance.

Not that there was any chance for victory in the campaign (although there were some battles, which were won by the Poles - and there would be more of them probably, if not the Soviet agression - for example the second biggest battle of the Polish Campaign - the battle of Tomaszow Lubelski and Zamosc).

But in general overwiev, Poland had no chance with Germany, if fighting alone (without help of Britain and France) - it was simply by the power of numbers (here mainly), technology and industry - and resources (of ammo for example).

Of course Polish commanders in some cases could command much better, than they actually did. In some other cases they were commanding very well. The Polish defensive plan might have been better. But Poland was the first country in history to stand against "Blitzkrieg" - so we shouldn't expect that Polish commanders were clairvoyants...

Anyway - Poland itself - the whole country - had got ammo for its army only for around 2 - 2,5 months of war.

Without supplies from Britain and France - after around 2 months - every remaining Polish soldier / tank / gun would ran out of ammo...

And Poland could not produce ammo as fast as it was nescessary - especcialy that Germans captured the major part of the Polish military industry by around 17th of September....

OK, that was for sure a great victory

For Polish propaganda - certainly...

By the way - I don't know if you know about it, but the German propaganda was not better than the Poles in this case.

On 8th or 9th of September (I don't remember exactly) German newspapers wrote that Warsaw was captured - and Germans also sent such a message to their embassy in Moscow - Schulenburg - who told to Molotov about it ...

On the following day he had to apologize and make "small" correction of this info Clap

But as far as I can see, you agree that they did not believe Warsaw is sure any longer for them. Or was it just a vacation tour?

They left Warsaw because it was endangered by advancing German XVI Panzer-Korps (especcialy 4. Panzer-Division - parts of which reached Warsaw in the late evening on 8th of September - and its major forces on 9th of September 1939).

They didn't want to be captured or encircled - because then they wouldn't have been able to command / rule any longer.

So perhaps we have different maps. I am convinced my are correct.

Maybe correct but probably they are incomplete and do not show every unit (maybe they only show German units ?) - so probably they are not so precise.

My is more complete - shows more units - and is more exact probably.

And the German units are also marked correctly on my map - I checked it by comparing it with the German maps (for example those from Robert Kennedy's book - "The German Campaign in Poland" - which shows only German units - as the name of the book itself suggests...).

Cheers!

And Marry Christmas to everybody!

Edited by Domen - 24-Dec-2008 at 01:47
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 07:10

When the war began at the 1st of September, only in one capitol people were chearing. Since month placards were hanging in the streets that were calling for to march to the neighbour's capitol, chauvinistic politicians were calling for annexions of great parts of their neighbour country. This was not Berlin - it was Warsaw. Polish newsletter were cheering for a Polish successful march on Berlin, even when German troops stood before Bromberg, they spoke about French campaigns through the Westwall and of success in East Prussia allthough no Polish soldier ever went to.

Please don't put us this nazi crap propaganda. 
Yes, Polish were happy when German attacked, surely they danced on the streetsLOL and in Germany there was a mourning. I'm waiting when You start to claim that Poland started the war. Your opinions are as idiotic as opinion that Poland would win the war if not Soviet Union's attack.
Simple Germans were happy with the war until they started to lose it and opposition against Hitler was tiny.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2008 at 22:43

Temujin,

If somebody, who is not interested in history, wrote this, I would understand him. But you? You, who are a fierce debater of so many historical discussions? Do you remember our hot discussion about .... a role of lance pennats? 
And now you ask "what will it change?" Maybe nothing. But the man like you, should understand very well the importance of the TRUTH for people interested in history.

yes of course we discuss about issues that are not very clear, for example the lance pennon discussion you mentioned. but what's exactly to discuss here? no one said that Poland was overrun without ressistance and in some cases, which are discussed here, showed strengh. but i'm disturbed by a few issues: - the sentationalist nature of Domens thread titles (Panzer crushed by infantry).  - selective presentation of favourable sources and events while at the same time ignoring negative ones. - revisionistic nature of what is presented. takign into account everything that has been written, the Polish Army at the time of Soviet intervention was already with it's back on the wall and the campaign so far (again, despite the individual sucesses here and there) was a rather smooth and decisive one and i have not a single reason to believe that this would have changed without Soviet support. it also never has been mentioned so far that the common German soldiers in this camapign were Green, it was the first war since 1918 and it was fought in a new mode of warfare compared to the previous one. tecnically, in fact the last major war Poland had was both more recent (by a few years) as well as in the new mode of warfare, that is mobile warfare as opposed to trenchwarfare.

but comign back to your original argument. what we discuss here is not a question of was it this way or was it that way. no, what we discuss here is simply just "what if". and it has already pointed out. like Beorna pointed out already, the whole point of Domens work here constitutes the "unbesiegt im Felde" (undefeated on the (battle)field)-rhetorics and the "Dolchstosslegende".
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 10:37
First reason of a quick defeat was that Polish army streched their defensive lines along the border instead of focusing along the rivers in the centre Poland. Thanks to such position of Polish army German divisions easily went through Polish lines and sourraunded Polish divisions separating one from the other. Decision of Polish army headquater to defend whole territory instead of preparing tougher defence in a better terrain was made because Poland was afraid that Germans will take Western Poland and stop. This could cause that Wetern allies would accept German's territory gains as Poland left it without fight anyway. So Poland would be beaten without any fight.
Nevertheless Poland was doomed anyway, its defence could have only last maybe 2 weeks longer.
This discussion ia really amusing. I think our Germans colleagues think we are completelly crazy and think Poland would have beat Germany if not SU attackUnhappy.
And Beorna really amused me when He talked about Polish pre war propoganda. In his opinion our goverment should have been saying that we'll lose, let's run away. So we should lay down and wait for execution. That would be not chauvinistic. Really if You know countries that are to be attacked by the neighbourg and scream they will lose please anknowledge us.
Domen View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Domen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2008 at 22:39

it also never has been mentioned so far that the common German soldiers in this camapign were Green it was the first war since 1918 and it was fought in a new mode of warfare compared to the previous one.

And Poles were veterans of 10 wars each - and they also knew Blitzkrieg and modern tactics very well since centuries, because there were a lot of countries before Poland, which met with it and with modern warfare in general.

It was so even though 10% to 15% of the Polish army in 1939 were Ukrainians or Belorussians the majority of whom had never seen anything except their own village - and who didn't want to fight at all after the Soviet agression of 17th of September - there was also a significant number of Germans in the Polish Army in 1939 - the majority of whom didn't fight brave or even didn't fight at all against the Germans.

German soldiers in this camapign were Green

They were less green than any other soldiers in the world at that time.

in fact the last major war Poland had was both more recent (by a few years) as well as in the new mode of warfare, that is mobile warfare as opposed to trenchwarfare.

Wow !

Polish victory over the Soviets in 1920 influenced only in negative way on the Polish defensive war of 1939.

Becuase Polish commanders used their "confirmed in real" experiences from the war of 1920 in 1939... (for example - mobile war of infantry is nothing odd, bombers and fighters not very nescessary - only recon and communication planes are useful, cavalry is pretty good as not only tactical but also strategical mean of offensive, no experience with combats against tanks - since the Red Army of 1920 practically didn't have them at all).

This discussion ia really amusing. I think our Germans colleagues think we are completelly crazy and think Poland would have beat Germany if not SU attack.

Poles wouldn't have beaten Germans and wouldn't have captured Berlin - this is certain.

The problem is if the Germans would have beaten the Poles.

I am not shure if the Germans would have had things to bit Poland with, if not the Soviet agression on 17th of September, because according to general Mueller-Hillebrand ("Das Heer, 1933 - 1945", volume 1, page 161) Hitler started war with only 6-days resources of calibre 20mm ammo - which was a basic ammunition for both German tanks (Panzer II) and AA guns.

During the first 6 days of the campaign he ran out of this resources, during the next days he was using what he managed to produce in period between 1st and 6th of September, and also current production, during the following days - only current production.

By around 25th of September he probably didn't have a single 20mm bullet in the whole III Reich...

Of course if general Mueller-Hillebrand's data isn't wrong.

================================

By the way:

I know that our discussion is heavily "off-topic" at the moment, but let's come back to the main topic for a moment - because I have got some new interesting photos, related to it:

The battle of Kiernozia:

More photos from the same places - villages Sierżniki and Skowroda (even same soldiers can be seen) - more tanks which were destroyed in these two villages during the battle of Kiernozia:

Is it the same tank as in the previous photo or some other one?:

More tanks destroyed in this place:

The same tank:

Another one:

================================================

The battle of Ruszki - more photos:

"106":

"534" - what are they doing?:

[/quote]

but what's exactly to discuss here?

Hmmm - read the topic - the topic is the battles of Ruszki and Kiernozia...

But we are actually discussing something different - the whole campaign.

I'm not against it - and it is my thread - so we can discuss what we are and what we want - even though it actually is a total off-topic. Big smile

Thanks to such position of Polish army German divisions easily went through Polish lines and sourraunded Polish divisions separating one from the other.

In some places easily - in some other hard.

It also depends what do you name as "easily" - because the major part of the German divisions encountered heavy resistance during the Battle of the Border - but this resistance at the border, although fierce - wasn't very long because the Poles started their withdrawal very soon - after a few days, in some other parts of the frontline - after several days.

Some divisions were surrounded or separated - but the majority were not.

This your statement is a big generalization - like those in programmes on Discovery Channel.

Edited by Domen - 25-Dec-2008 at 23:10
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2008 at 18:38

This discussion ia really amusing. I think our Germans colleagues think we are completelly crazy and think Poland would have beat Germany if not SU attack.

Poles wouldn't have beaten Germans and wouldn't have captured Berlin - this is certain.

The problem is if the Germans would have beaten the Poles.

I am not shure if the Germans would have had things to bit Poland with, if not the Soviet agression on 17th of September, because according to general Mueller-Hillebrand ("Das Heer, 1933 - 1945", volume 1, page 161) Hitler started war with only 6-days resources of calibre 20mm ammo - which was a basic ammunition for both German tanks (Panzer II) and AA guns.

During the first 6 days of the campaign he ran out of this resources, during the next days he was using what he managed to produce in period between 1st and 6th of September, and also current production, during the following days - only current production.

By around 25th of September he probably didn't have a single 20mm bullet in the whole III Reich...

Of course if general Mueller-Hillebrand's data isn't wrong.

I think You are totally wrong. On 17th September Germans were on the outskirts of Warsaw. So the answer is yes, they would have beaten Poles without SU involvment, with not much delay. Somehow German's bullets were enough to finish the campain. 
I must say that if You claim that without SU invasion Poles would have repeal German's attack, I'm not suprise they laugh from this.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2008 at 21:11

And Poles were veterans of 10 wars each - and they also knew Blitzkrieg and modern tactics very well since centuries, because there were a lot of countries before Poland, which met with it and with modern warfare in general.

It was so even though 10% to 15% of the Polish army in 1939 were Ukrainians or Belorussians the majority of whom had never seen anything except their own village - and who didn't want to fight at all after the Soviet agression of 17th of September - there was also a significant number of Germans in the Polish Army in 1939 - the majority of whom didn't fight brave or even didn't fight at all against the Germans.

Poland always emphasized on mobile warfare, that's nothing new. the state of the Polish Army in 1939 could have been better but it could have been worse too. the Polish-Bolshewik War taught many new lessons, almost all of Stalins main generals like Voroshilov, Timoshenko and Budenny were in the Cavalry and accordingly influenced military thinking particularly after the purge of Tukhachevsky. eventually they were sacked, but Red Cavalry played also an important role in ww2 for them (defense of Moscow, encircling German 6th Army in Stalingrad, Operations in Manchuria).

They were less green than any other soldiers in the world at that time.

that's nonsense. look at the Gran Chaco War between Bolivia and Paraguay in the 30s. Bolivia had a German trained Army and the Paraguayans a French trained Army and the Paraguayans won. then there was also the Spanish Civil War and the second Sino-Japanese War. the soldiers of those countries were certainly more experienced in 1939 than the German Army.

Wow !

Polish victory over the Soviets in 1920 influenced only in negative way on the Polish defensive war of 1939.

Becuase Polish commanders used their "confirmed in real" experiences from the war of 1920 in 1939... (for example - mobile war of infantry is nothing odd, bombers and fighters not very nescessary - only recon and communication planes are useful, cavalry is pretty good as not only tactical but also strategical mean of offensive, no experience with combats against tanks - since the Red Army of 1920 practically didn't have them at all).

you must be kidding me. the Polish Cavalry was not very well used in 1939, the Polish high command certainly didn't learned their lesson. and talking about Soviet tanks, they had next to Britain the second largest number of tanks, armoured trains and armoured cars, you can read that in every book. they were heavily used during the Russian Civil War which occured at the same time as the Polish-Bolshewik War. if the Poles didn't learned their lessons, you have no reason to blame the German Army.

BTW, another last note. you always repeat to say that the Poles at the border retreated, but you never talk about defeat. you make it sound as if they retreated because they were bored or had nothing better to do, as if it was their free will to do so. Tongue

Edited by Temujin - 26-Dec-2008 at 21:13
Domen View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Domen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2008 at 23:13

I think You are totally wrong. On 17th September Germans were on the outskirts of Warsaw. So the answer is yes, they would have beaten Poles without SU involvment, with not much delay.

Read my posts on the previous pages of this topic.

Warsaw was not important for the Poles any longer. Warsaw could have been captured by the Germans - it wouldn't have changed the general situation. Marschal Rydz-Smigly ordered Warsaw to defend as long as possible only because he wanted to delay the Germans. He was concentrating his forces in totally different part of the country - and there he planned to establish further defence against the Germans.

In 1940 France was still fighting after Paris was seized by the Germans, I see no reason why Poland could not (while actually even in real it was - but against two invaders).

It was the south-eastern part of the frontline - Romanian Bridgehead, Lwów (Lemberg in German), Polesie, Kobryn, Wolhynia (Wołyń in Polish), Roztocze and Eastern Lesser Poland, which was the most important for further defence of Poland. And it was there where the Poles planned to resist the Germans - if not the Soviet agression.

I remind all of you that Lemberg and huge area around it was never captured by the Germans, even though the Germans started to attack it on 12th of September 1939. On 17th of September it was the Polish army which gained a big succes near Lwów - 10th Motorized Brigade recaptured Zboiska and hills around it, which would soon make it very easy for forces of Sosnkowski (3 infantry divisions) - which were fighting with the Germans west of Lwów - to get to Lwów or the area north of it (between Lwów and Żółkiew) very quickly. Unfortunately after the Soviet agression 10th Motorized Brigade was ordered to withdraw to Romania - and the succes was lost, because after the 10th Brigade withdrawed, the Germans recaptured previously lost ground without combat.

The Germans - however - withdrawed from the area near Lemberg on 21st of September - they didn't manage to acomplish their tasks - the battle of Lemberg was won by the Poles.

On 22nd of September a treaty between the Soviets and the Polish commanders of Lemberg was signed, and the Polish forces in Lemberg gave the city to the Red Army. Red Army allowed Polish soldiers to go to their homes - as was established in the treaty. But they did not keep all conditions of the treaty - because instead of letting officers go - as they promised in the treaty -, they captured all of them (and later all of them were murderred in Katyn).

When Red Army seized the city, Polish poet - Wladislav Broniewski - who was in Lwów on 22nd of September - wrote a short poem:

"Byłby drugi Grunwald i byłyby drugie Płowce
Gdyby nie te bombowce
I gdyby nie te czołgi
Które przybyły znad Wołgi"

"There would be second Grunwald and there would be second Płowce
If not these bombers
And these tanks
Which came from the Volga"

Lemberg was the goal which the Germans simply had to (and wanted to) reach, if they wanted to defeat Poland and to carry out new offensive against the Polish forces in Romanian Bridgehead, Eastern Lesser Poland and Wolhynia - which would have been absolutely nescessary to defeat Poland, if the Soviets hadn't have beginned their invasion.

And - as I posted previously (attaching suitable maps to my posts - showing situation in Poland on 17th of September and the German plans before the Soviet agression) - the German High Command planned to carry out an offensive against the Polish forces in Romanian Bridgehead - and - of course - capturing Lemberg during it (and later attacking towards Kamionka Strumilova - Tarnopol or Brody and towards Stanislavov - today Ivano-Frankovsk) - but they simply didn't have forces nescessary to do it in this region of Poland - because the majority of their forces were involved in different parts of Poland.

One + half very weakened Panzer divisions - which the Germans planned to use during this offensive - was not enough to capture Lememberg, defeat 10th Motorized Brigade and other forces which were defending the area around Lemberg - and also not enough to defeat forces which were on their farther route. It was not enough to end this planned offensive with succes.

It simply shows us how little the Germans knew about the strength of the Polish forces in this region - especcialy around Lemberg. They underestimated it, if they thought that they could capture Lemberg - and advance farther - by an attack of such - relatively small - forces.

Full scale attack on Lemberg in strength of only one, much weakened Panzer-Division (5. Panzer-Division) must have ended in the same way as the attack on Warsaw carried out by 4. Panzer-Division ended - or even worse. So - total failure.

Especcialy that on 9th of September Warsaw was defended by much smaller and weaker forces, than Lemberg on 17th of September.

Bolivia had a German trained Army and the Paraguayans a French trained Army and the Paraguayans won. then there was also the Spanish Civil War and the second Sino-Japanese War. the soldiers of those countries were certainly more experienced in 1939 than the German Army.

In both wars - Gran Chaco War and Spanish Civil War - a lot of German soldiers took part - both land forces and Luftwaffe (see for example "Legion Condor") - and they gained a lot of new experiences during those wars.

you must be kidding me. the Polish Cavalry was not very well used in 1939

The Polish Cavalry was used very well in 1939, but Cavalry is not a strategical mean of offensive !!

It is good for manoeuvre and offensive on tactical level - but not on strategical level ! Motorized, mechanized and armoured forces are suitable for such operations - not cavalry!

The Poles - however - had got different experiences - because in 1920 they managed to beat the Soviets with cavalry and infantry - used on strategical level !

Poland always emphasized on mobile warfare

Of course! - and in 1920 it worked - because both Poland and its enemy didn't have practically any motorized or armoured forces - so - so called - "fast arms"!

And in 1939 Polish infantry had to race with German motors!

What is better in mobile warfare - infantry on foot or motorized infantry ?!

the Polish high command certainly didn't learned their lesson

They certainly did!

During the Polish-Soviet war of 1919 - 1921 - as I have already written - they learned that fighters and tactical bombers are not nescessery - because recon planes are the most important to win the war! - they also learned that motorized forces are expensive but not nescessary luxury - and that phone communication is OK - radio - not nescessary!

But all of those allegedly - but in fact falsely - "useful" "experiences" turned out to be completely false and obsolete during the future conflict in 1939!

and talking about Soviet tanks, they had next to Britain the second largest number of tanks, armoured trains and armoured cars, you can read that in every book. they were heavily used during the Russian Civil War which occured at the same time as the Polish-Bolshewik War.

Give me exact numbers! - how many tanks did the Soviets use during the Polish-Soviet war of 1919 - 1921 ???!!

you always repeat to say that the Poles at the border retreated, but you never talk about defeat. you make it sound as if they retreated because they were bored or had nothing better to do, as if it was their free will to do so.

Because the majority of the Polish units was ordered to withdraw, although they held their defensive positions - only some units were pushed aside.

And another thing is that even being pushed aside (lost some ground) does not mean being defeated.

See in which places did the Germans break through the frontline - and you will not ask such questions any more.

On 7th of September Polish frontline was broken only in two places - between positions of Army "Łódź" and Northern Grouping of Army "Prusy" near Koluszki - Tomaszów Lubelski - Rawa Mazowiecka - by 4th Panzer-Division (which later reached outskirts of Warsaw on 9th of September and attacked it but was defeated); and between positions of Army "Cracow" and Southern Grouping of Army "Prusy" - near Kielce - Busko - by 3rd Leichte Division and 2nd Leichte Division (which later contributed very much - together with other divisions, including 1st Leichte, 29th and 13th Motorized and several infantry divisions - in encircling and defeating Southern Grouping of Army "Prusy" during the battles in region of Radom and Iłża).

Edited by Domen - 27-Dec-2008 at 00:27
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2008 at 09:06
So You claim that Polish forces would gather somewhere around Lwow to counterattack and Germans didn't have resources to conquer this region (e.g. lack of ammunition). May I ask how do You come up with this stories? Somehow Germans didn't run out of ammunition in any of their campaigns therefore I don't think they would forget such a "small" detail attacking Poland. Also I don't think that that Lwow region was most important in Poland and fall of Warsaw wasn't important. In fact it was dexciesive. So what there were still fights after this happened when these fights had no impact on result of the campaign.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2008 at 17:47
what a nonsense you talk about. there's so many fantasies in your post. how would Germany run out of ammunition but not your Lwow region which was isolated and crammed by retreating Polish units, how would that work? and again, it's not Germanies fault that the Polish Army was not modern, that's just how i was. and the fall of a capital is always a serious loss not only to administration but also to the morale of the whole Army. i already pointed out the victories of Red cavalry forces particularly in encircling the 6th Army in Stalingrad as well as the sucesses of the Cavalry-Mechanized Group of General Pli'ev. Poland never used larger formations of Cavalry than Brigade, left alone Cavalry Corps, so it is justified when i say the Polish Army mismanaged their Cavalry forces. don't know about the air force but certainly mechanized forces were intensively used durign the Russian Civil War. if they didn't had much of them in the Polish-Bolshewik War, well than good for Poles because there could have been a different outcome then. Whites were heavily supplied with tanks by the Entente forces and armorued cars & traisn were either self-made druing the war or also imported from Entente powers, mostly England. many of them were then also captured by Bolshewiks. those Germans that fought in the Spanish Civil War were only a fragment of the main Army and mostly general officers which also fought as junior officers in ww1 already. i seriously doubt you know much about ww2 at all. have you ever heard of the Kurland pocket, the former Army Group North? do you seriously believe they could have held out forever? i repeat, there is no way Poland could have won the 1939 campaign even without Soviet help. that's like saying Germany could have won ww2 without Amercian help and it's completely tedious to discuss this.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2008 at 18:33
Hello to you all

Sorry to barge in like this but this seems a really hot topic. Why not open a separate thread about the invasion as a whole.

Anyway about the quality of german forces in the polish campaign. Most Germans were like it or not raw recruits. Untill late 1935, germany had only 100k troops because of the Versailles treaty. They had no big guns, no tanks, limited number of vehicles and airplanes. The smallness of the army was a blessing for the Nazis. Only select soldiers and partiularly the officer corps (the real secret of the success of Nazi armies) were left. Such high selectivity meant a concentration of the best military mind in the world at that time. When Hitler began his rearmamant program the numbers rose quickly to nearly two million on the even of the Polish campaign. No way the  Nazis could have trained all these men by that time. In my opinion, the Polish campaign was a massive training exercise designed to graduate those millions who were undertrained. There were many debacles in that campaign  to prove this.  

Only the Luftwaffe was up to the task and had the training of expertise for this campaign.

As for the Polish campaing. I am with Domen that Poland could have at least delayed the Germans for enough time so that the French grow some backbone and end Nazi Germany from the South. I don't agree with him however in his opinion that Poland could have won. All the engagements that the Polish successded in were small action, Brigade or division level victories. This war was fought on corps and field Army levels and the Poles lost every major engagement there. Their armies were encircled by the end of the second week of the campaign and by the 17th, the Germans achieved all the strategic objectives they planned.

Al-Jassas 

beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2008 at 23:16

The vast majority of those soldiers were captured - as you even noticed - after 17th of September.

To this you must the Soviet figures - these are of course figures for the whole campaign - but they probably captured the majority of those soldiers during first several days (maybe during the first week):

- Ukrainian Front claimed capturing 392,334 Polish POWs.
- Byelorussian Front claimed capturing 60,202 Polish POWs.

To this we must add those who escaped to Romania and other neighbouring countries between 17th and 23rd of September (of course many escaped also later - after 23rd of September).
so about 850000 captured after the Russian invasion, 450000 thousand captured from Russians and many who escaped to Romania? How many soldiers did you have?

OK - sorry. Btw - I must check this info.
Do you know which divisions is it about ?
I must confess I am a rookie in modern history. Even if I am convinced you are on a wrong way I suppose you know much more about the war than me. I  am sorry I can't help you. I have a lot of material about German troops but I am lacking of informations of Polish ones. I am sure it is easy for you to find it out.

I only wrote that if not the Soviet invasion there was a chance for further, longer than in real, resistance.
well, I can agree with this. But how long and with what result?

there were some battles, which were won by the Poles - and there would be more of them probably, if not the Soviet agression - for example the second biggest battle of the Polish Campaign - the battle of Tomaszow Lubelski and Zamosc)..
Here too, I agree. Polish troops fought brave. This is even reported, e.g. in OKW reports. Nobody's speaking of Polish chicken.

By the way - I don't know if you know about it, but the German propaganda was not better than the Poles in this case.
I think it is not necassary to speak about Nazi propaganda. They probably founded modern desinformation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>