Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were the first settlers on the Balkans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
chicagogeorge View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were the first settlers on the Balkans?
    Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:16
Originally posted by Chilbudios

However, etnosoul is right when he says Herodotus believes the Pelasgians were not Hellenes (at least initially). From Herodotus (Godley edition):

1.57 What language the Pelasgians spoke I cannot say definitely. [...] one may judge by these, the Pelasgians spoke a language which was not Greek. If, then, all the Pelasgian stock spoke so, then the Attic nation, being of Pelasgian blood, must have changed its language too at the time when it became part of the Hellenes. [...]

1.58 But the Hellenic stock, it seems clear to me, has always had the same language since its beginning; yet being, when separated from the Pelasgians, few in number, they have grown from a small beginning to comprise a multitude of nations, chiefly because the Pelasgians and many other foreign peoples united themselves with them. Before that, I think, the Pelasgic stock nowhere increased much in number while it was of foreign speech.

chicagogeorge, your excerpt from 1.58 is losing the original sense. The paragraph says the Hellenes are few in number when taken separatedly from the Pelasgians, not that they were separated from the Pelasgians.

^^

Herodotus and other ancient writers are not very clear and sometimes contradictory as to who the Pelasgians were, but Herodotus does say that the Ionians are a Pelagians stock.

I posted Herodotus's passage in it's entirety two pages back.

Book I, 56 (page 53) it is mentioned "These races, Ionian and
Dorian, were the foremost in ancient time, the first a Pelasgian
and the second an Hellenic people.

The Ionians were an Greek speaking people.Wink

What we should also note is that NONE of the ancient historians ever put the Pelasgians and Illyrians in the same category, but have placed them with Hellenes or at least living in the same country with the Hellenes. Never in Illyria.

Edited by chicagogeorge - 13-Sep-2007 at 12:31
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:28
I don't find any contradiction. In Herodotus' view the Ionians were Pelasgians (in ancient time, ancient to Herodotus, not to us!), and then became Hellenes. The next two passages (1.57-58) speak about the assimilation of Pelasgians in the Hellenic population. They also mention the shift of language from non-Greek to Greek, so that Ionians spoke Greek it is no actual counter-evidence.

I'm not talking about Illyrians.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Sep-2007 at 12:29
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:43
chicagogeorge

You are reposting from the beginning only Herodotus and greek authors. I just told you if can find me sources older then 700BCE,
but as I can see you can't find them. You can't find sources older and different from greeks.

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
ShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Edited by EagleAl - 13-Sep-2007 at 12:45
Shogun
Shogun

Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 12:49
I have yet to see any of your so-called evidence.Sleepy

I don't find any contradiction. In Herodotus' view the Ionians were Pelasgians (in ancient time, ancient to Herodotus, not to us!), and then became Hellenes. The next two passages (1.57-58) speak about the assimilation of Pelasgians in the Hellenic population. They also mention the shift of language from non-Greek to Greek, so that Ionians spoke Greek it is no actual counter-evidence.

Other ancient authors do offer contradictions, and they do tie Greeks (or mythological Greek heroes) to the Pelasgians. So it seems that Pelasgians may either have been an Indo European tribe that was first to migrate in the Balkans, and thus closely related to the Hellenic tribes, or simply the Pre Indo European tribes who were absorbed by the Hellenic tribes.

Dionysus of Halikarnassos "Roman Antiquities" 1.17.2.1

for the Pelasgians too, were a Hellenic race originally from the Peloponnesus

Strabo quotes Hesiod as expanding on the Homeric phrase, calling Dodona "seat of Pelasgians" (fragment 225); he speaks also of the eponymous ancestor of the Pelasgians, Pelasgus(: Πελασγός), the father of the culture-hero of Arcadia, Lycaon. After Hesiod, a number of early authors flesh out his brief statement. An early genealogist, Asios of Samos, describes Pelasgus as the first man, literally born of the earth to create a race of men. An early poet, Hecataues, makes Pelasgus king of Thessaly (expounding Iliad, 2.681-684); Acusilaus applies this Homeric passage to the Peloponnesian Argos, the Argolid, and engrafts the Hesiodic Pelasgus, father of Lycaon, into a Peloponnesian genealogy.

Hellanicus repeats this identification a generation later, and identifies this Argive or Arcadian Pelasgus with the Thessalian Pelasgus of Hecataeus. Aeschylus regards Pelasgus as earthborn (Supplices I, sqq.), as in Asius, and ruler of a kingdom stretching from Argos to Dodona and the Strymon; but in Prometheus 879, the "Pelasgian" land simply means Argos. Sophocles takes the same view (Inachus, fragment. 256) and for the first time introduces the ethnonym Tyrrhenoi, apparently as synonymous with "Pelasgians". Euripedes calls the inhabitants of Argos Pelasgian Orestes.

So to summarize, the Ionians where Pelasgians according to Herodotus that became Greek, but then so were the Thessalians where Aeolians dwelt, and Argos and Arcadia where the Mycenaeans lived.

So my question is this? Where the Dorians the only non Pelasgians? Or where they Pelasgians as well since they originally lived in the Pindos (Epiros) where Pelasgian Dodona was? LOL

I'm not talking about Illyrians.

Others on this forum are though

Edited by chicagogeorge - 13-Sep-2007 at 13:31
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 13:33
Other ancient authors do offer contradictions, and they do tie Greeks (or mythological Greek heroes) to the Pelasgians.
Of course, contradictions can occur any time between any two testimonies (or even within the same testimony), however until a contradiction is shown, there's no reason to postulate an account is (self-)contradictory and suggest it is unreliable. Moreover previously you have used the same account to prove your point.

it seems that Pelasgians may either have been an Indo European tribe that was first to migrate in the Balkans, and thus closely related to the Hellenic tribes, or simply the Pre Indo European tribes who were absorbed by the Hellenic tribes.
Celts, Slavs or Iranians were also Indo-European-speaking groups, I don't think "closely related" makes much sense in the perspective of Greeks and their "neighbours".

for the Pelasgians too, were a Hellenic race ...
If Herodotus is right and Pelasgians were assimilated by Hellenes, then all the testimonies identifying Pelasgians as Greeks can be seen as sprung from later traditions born at a time when Pelasgians already spoke Greek.

Others on this forum are though
But I am not them, so while I have no problem if you (or anyone else) talks of Illyrians, I'm reminding you I won't answer to you on these issues.

Shogun
Shogun

Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 14:01

Of course, contradictions can occur any time between any two testimonies (or even within the same testimony), however until a contradiction is shown, there's no reason to postulate an account is (self-)contradictory and suggest it is unreliable. Moreover previously you have used the same account to prove your point.

I use Herodotus because of this passage.

Herodotus 1.58

Τὸ δὲ Ἑλληνικὸν γλώσσῃ μέν, ἐπείτε ἐγένετο, αἰεί κοτε τῇ
αὐτῇ διαχρᾶται, ὡς ἐμοὶ καταφαίνεται εἶναι. Ἀποσχισθὲν
μέντοι ἀπὸ τοῦ Πελασγικοῦ

translation:

"But the Hellenic stock, it seems clear to me, has always
had the same language since its beginning; yet being, when
separated from the Pelasgians
"

Why speak of separation, if they were not part of the same people ???

Celts, Slavs or Iranians were also Indo-European-speaking groups, I don't think "closely related" makes much sense in the perspective of Greeks and their "neighbours".

Well we would be speaking of Indo European tribes that migrated along side with the Hellenic tribes. Not tribes that separated much later or went off into a different direction. Phrygian and Armenian tribes are said to be of the same branch with the Hellenic tribes which splintered out of the Proto Indo European family. Why not Pelasgians. We know they were living in the same region. Possibly having an Indo European father deity Zeus Pelasgos.

According to Homer; "Zeus Archon, Dodonean, Pelasgian, who dwells afar, ruling on rough wintered Dodona, surrounded by the Selloi, the interpreters of your divine will, whose feet are unwashed and sleep on the ground".

Homer, Iliad 16:127 (Achilles prayer)

In other words, even during the Trojan war era, Greek (Zeus) and Pelasgians where somehow related at least in a religious aspect.

Like I said, the Pelasgians may be the pre Indo Europeans people of the region, who were quite different in speech and religion to the Greeks, but were absorbed by the Greeks.

If Herodotus is right and Pelasgians were assimilated by Hellenes, then all the testimonies identifying Pelasgians as Greeks can be seen as sprung from later traditions born at a time when Pelasgians already spoke Greek.

What you said is entirely plausible, however, Herodotus says that he is not sure what the Pelasgian tongue is but thinks of it as a barbarian tongue. In other words, the Pelasgian language still was spoken during the time of Herodotus. Why would his contemporaries then place mythical founders of the various Greek tribes as Pelasgians (non Greeks)? Argos, Arcadians, Thessalians all claim to have  Pelasgians origins. Does that mean that all those Greek tribes where originally barbarian, and became Greek over time? Does it mean that Greeks and Pelasgians have a common origin or that the two groups simply interacted with each other for so long that they became assimilated? We may never know.

But I am not them, so while I have no problem if you (or anyone else) talks of Illyrians, I'm reminding you I won't answer to you on these issues.

So there are some sensible people left on this forumClap

Edited by chicagogeorge - 13-Sep-2007 at 14:24
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 14:23
I use Herodotus because of this passage
[...]

"But the Hellenic stock, it seems clear to me, has always
had the same language since its beginning; yet being, when
separated from the Pelasgians
"

Why speak of separation, if they were not part of the same people ???
I have already answered to that. The full passage is:
"But the Hellenic stock, it seems clear to me, has always had the same language since its beginning; yet being, when separated from the Pelasgians, few in number, they have grown from a small beginning to comprise a multitude of nations, chiefly because the Pelasgians and many other foreign peoples united themselves with them. Before that, I think, the Pelasgic stock nowhere increased much in number while it was of foreign speech. "

Herodotus says about Hellenic stock the following: "yet being, when separated from the Pelasgians, few in number". The logic of this text is "yet being few in number" <- "when separated from the Pelasgians" (or for clarity read it as "when they were not united with the Pelasgians"). So the text doesn't actually say the Hellenic stock was separated from Pelasgians, only that their number is small if one doesn't count the Pelasgians too which at that time were not joined, yet. The previous paragraph 1.57 enlightens about the Hellenization of Pelasgians.

Well we would be speaking of Indo European tribes that migrated along side with the Hellenic tribes. Not tribes that separated much later or went off into a different direction.
No account you've been mentioning points to any migration. We only learn of their presence there, not of any migration. I don't think there are any accounts which enlighten on the origin of the Pelasgians and I think that's why they are often regarded as some obscure forerunners in settling Greece.

Phrygian and Armenian tribes are said to be of the same branch with the Hellenic tribes which splintered out of the Proto Indo European family.
I do not think Phrygian and Armenian were that close (some scholars even reject it is a satem language and correlate it with Anatolian languages like Hittite or perhaps Luwian - see Cambridge Ancient History II.2, 2000, p. 435) and in any way, to keep the analogy, I still think it's rather inapropriate to call the Phrygian and Armenian populations "closely related".

Why would his contemporaries then place their mythical founders of the various Greek tribes as Pelasgians? Argos, Arcadians, Thessalians all claim to have  Pelasgians origins. Does that mean that all those Greek tribes where originally barbarian, and became Greek? Does it mean that Greeks and Pelasgians have a common origin or that the two groups simply interacted with each other for so long that they became assimilated?
The French regard Gauls or Franks as their ancestors, the former spoke Celtic, the latter spoke a Germanic language. French is a Romance language.

Edited by Chilbudios - 13-Sep-2007 at 14:41
Shogun
Shogun

Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 14:36

I have already answered to that. The full passage is:
"But the Hellenic stock, it seems clear to me, has always had the same language since its beginning; yet being, when separated from the Pelasgians, few in number, they have grown from a small beginning to comprise a multitude of nations, chiefly because the Pelasgians and many other foreign peoples united themselves with them. Before that, I think, the Pelasgic stock nowhere increased much in number while it was of foreign speech. "

Herodotus says about Hellenic stock the following: "yet being, when separated from the Pelasgians, few in number". The logic of this text is "yet being few in number" <- "when separated from the Pelasgians" (or for clarity read it as "when taken/regarded/considered separatedly from the Pelasgians"). So the text doesn't actually say the Hellenic stock was separated from Pelasgians, only that their number is small if one doesn't count the Pelasgians too. The previous paragraph 1.57 enlightens about the Hellenization of Pelasgians.

Here is my problem with the Ionians(Athenians) once being Pelasgian or speaking a completely foreign language, than changing speech and becoming Greek. We have ample knowledge of the Ionian dialect spoken in ancient times. There is NO evidence that the speakers of the Ionian dialect once spoke a foreign language. Wouldn't you think they would have let evidence of Pelasgian gloss and possibly intermixed their original tongue with their adopted Greek language? Unless, the Pelasgian gloss was not that different the Proto Greek?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 14:51
I've corrected my post, because reading more carefully the text it is not about regarding the Pelasgians separatedly, but about that initial separation which existed when Hellenes and Pelasgians were two different populations. The paragraph goes further saying they united and thus enlarged the Hellenic stock.

Now I honestly do no place all my bets on Herodotus when I want an accurate picture of the Antiquity. Especially on phenomena which happened many centuries before him, phenomena recorded by him following some oral traditions.
Herodotus gives no timeline though for these linguistic transformations. However it is certainly that in Attica, in the Ionian islands and on the Anatolian coast other languages were spoken, as well, especially before the coming of the Greek speaking populations. I do not think the Ionians (or more generally the Greeks or other migrating Indo-European speakers) exterminated the populations where they settled but that they lived together and eventually assimilated them. So basically the story of Pelasgians fits over a quite general scenario of migration of Indo-European speaking tribes.

Shogun
Shogun

Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 17:46

I do not think Phrygian and Armenian were that close (some scholars even reject it is a satem language and correlate it with Anatolian languages like Hittite or perhaps Luwian - see Cambridge Ancient History II.2, 2000, p. 435) and in any way, to keep the analogy, I still think it's rather inapropriate to call the Phrygian and Armenian populations "closely related".

According to Thomas V. Gamkrelidze and V. V. Ivanov:

The first to branch off was the Greek-Armenian-Indo-lranian language community. It must have begun to do so in the fourth millennium B.C. because by the middle of the third millennium B.C. the community was already dividing into two groups, namely, the Indo-lranian and the Greek-Armenian. Tablets in the Hattusas archives show that by the middle of the second millennium B.C. the Indo-lranian group had given rise to a language spoken in the Mitanni kingdom on the southeast frontier of Anatolia that was already different from ancient Indian (commonly called Sanskrit) and ancient Iranian. Cretan Mycenaean texts from the same eras as Mitanni, deciphered in the early 1950's by the British scholars Michael G. F. Ventris and John Chadwick, fumed out to be in a previously unknown dialect of Greek. All these languages had gone their separate ways from Armenian.
Speakers of the Hittite, Luwian and other Anatolian languages made relatively small migrations within the homeland, and their languages died there with them. The more extensive migrations of speakers of the Greek-Armenian-Indo-Iranian dialects began with the breakup of the main Indo-European language community in the third millennium B.C. Two groups of Indo-Iranian speakers made their way East during the second millennium B.C. One of them, speakers of the Kafiri languages, survives to this day in Nuristan, on the southern slopes of the Hindu Kush in northeast Afghanistan. In Five Continents, a posthumous book recounting his many botanical expeditions between 1916 and 1933, Vavilov speculated that the Kafirs might perpetuate some "original relics" of Indo-lranian.

Also there are legends...........

There is an ancient story of the Armenian race to this effect: that Armenus of Armenium, a Thessalian city, which lies between Pherae and Larisa on Lake Boebe, as I have already said,26 accompanied Jason into Armenia; and Cyrsilus the Pharsalian and Medius the Larisaean, who accompanied Alexander, say that Armenia was named after him, and that, of the followers of Armenus, some took up their abode in Acilisene, which in earlier times was subject to the Sopheni, whereas others took up their abode in Syspiritis, as far as Calachene and Adiabene, outside the Armenian mountains. They also say that the clothing of the Armenians is Thessalian, for example, the long tunics, which in tragedies are called Thessalian and are girded round the breast; and also the cloaks that are fastened on with clasps, another way in which the tragedians imitated the Thessalians, for the tragedians had to have some alien decoration of this kind; and since the Thessalians in particular wore long robes, probably because they of all the Greeks lived in the most northerly and coldest region, they were the most suitable objects of imitation for actors in their theatrical make-ups. And they say that their style of horsemanship is Thessalian, both theirs and alike that of the Medes. To this the expedition of Jason and the Jasonian monuments bear witness, some of which were built by the sovereigns of the country, just as the temple of Jason at Abdera was built by Parmenion.

Strabo, Geography

Edited by chicagogeorge - 13-Sep-2007 at 17:48
Shogun
Shogun

Quote chicagogeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 18:34

I've corrected my post, because reading more carefully the text it is not about regarding the Pelasgians separatedly, but about that initial separation which existed when Hellenes and Pelasgians were two different populations. The paragraph goes further saying they united and thus enlarged the Hellenic stock.

Now I honestly do no place all my bets on Herodotus when I want an accurate picture of the Antiquity. Especially on phenomena which happened many centuries before him, phenomena recorded by him following some oral traditions.
Herodotus gives no timeline though for these linguistic transformations. However it is certainly that in Attica, in the Ionian islands and on the Anatolian coast other languages were spoken, as well, especially before the coming of the Greek speaking populations. I do not think the Ionians (or more generally the Greeks or other migrating Indo-European speakers) exterminated the populations where they settled but that they lived together and eventually assimilated them. So basically the story of Pelasgians fits over a quite general scenario of migration of Indo-European speaking tribes.

Your assertions seems plausible, maybe probable. Still, if the Pelasgians dominated the Aegean peninsula to such a degree early on, and that they were absorbed by the invading Greeks, who supposedly spoke a completely different language, you would imagine that traces of their  language would be found in ancient Greek. However, aside from some place names, native fruits, fauna, and the likes, very little is left of the Pelasgian tongue. If Herodotus is correct and that the Ionians absorbed or were initially Pelasgians (a non Greek people) then there should be evidence of their original tongue. Unless their tongue was structurally similar to Hellenic to begin with.

And here is a theoretical migratory route map of the various Indo Europeans. Notice the Proto-Armenian tribes were located in the Balkans at an early stage before they along with the Phrygians (and Ionians Greeks) made their move into Asia Minor.

Edited by chicagogeorge - 13-Sep-2007 at 21:47
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2007 at 20:59
If only early European tribal movements were as simple as the map shows! The dates given are way too late for original movements. Migrations always took place after some natural disaster or other. One group moves out, another group moves in, after generations the old group moves back in again and so on.

The "advanced cultures" to the south were definitely way ahead in building cities and material inventions but lacked a comprehensive common language network. I guess the problem of settling in one place for too long is the gain of a "Tower of Babel" syndrome.
elenos
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 06:49
etnosoul should of been banned long ago.

He is liburni the spammer of the past, amongst other names and is now banned! No one needs to reply to his long cut and past jobs.

edit: I've hidden a couple for everyones sake

Edited by Leonidas - 14-Sep-2007 at 07:16
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 07:45
Leonidas and others, i think the matter has been discussed briefly here: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20909 (Origins of Greek and Pelasgian)

Like in the Rennaisance, the Serbians believed to be the Illyrians and their language was believed to be the Illyrian one. The first Greek newspaper "Efimeris" from the late 16th century that was published for the Greek and Serbian community of Vienna attributed the serbian texts as Illyrian Shocked

Some similar romance has attracted certain Albanians lately. In the thread I reffered to Greek inscriptions were possed as Pelasgian and was supposed to have an Albanian translation even though the text was plain Greek in the archaic form of the Greek alphabet.

I suggest, in order to not have this chaos posted 12345732457230495 times we keep that post as a milestone and mention in the code of conduct. Otherwise it seems that everyone new that has something to say about the matter will open a new thread each time.

For any doubts of etymological references we have www.etymonline.com which is the richest source of etymologies online, having a great amount of respected dictionaries as a refference.

I wanted to post some pictures from cultures of the neolithic period in the Balcans but it would not have the value expected as in a clean thread.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 08:06
Back to the original topic...

I was checking the National Geographic Atlas of the human journey which is based on DNA tests.

It is clear that the Greek territory was invaded from south and east not from the north like other migrations show.

The atlas shows the following Halogroups:

- G2 P15: 30000 years ago from Anatolia
- M35: 20 000 years ago from Africa
- M172: 15000 years ago from Anatolia

The M172 is the most dominant amongst Greeks, which shows that their ancestors were actually anatolians. This samples give more credibility to the scholars that presented the new theory that the migration to Greece followed a different/older path and did not come from the Dunabe valley. Some say that the first indoeuropeans to set their foot in the area of Greece, were Luwians. Placenames as well as imported agriculture could support this theory. Moreover, there is an example of a group of Luwians joining the Hellenic stock. Those were the Carrians.

Edited by Flipper - 14-Sep-2007 at 08:08

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 09:53
Originally posted by Flipper

Back to the original topic...

I was checking the National Geographic Atlas of the human journey which is based on DNA tests.

It is clear that the Greek territory was invaded from south and east not from the north like other migrations show.

The atlas shows the following Halogroups:

- G2 P15: 30000 years ago from Anatolia
- M35: 20 000 years ago from Africa
- M172: 15000 years ago from Anatolia

For the sake of clarity could you please explain what you mean by being invaded? Who attacked who and what how could there be any evidence if going by the dates you give - ie 15000 years ago?

Being "invaded" from the south and east? First we have this proposed attack and being attacked by what - fleets of Ice Age Anatolian canoes? Granted the sea level may have been much lower but if glancing at a modern map the only land migration route into Greece is from the north.
elenos
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 11:42
chicagogeorge,

When I mentioned the relation with the Anatolian languages I was refering to Phyrigian (now I realize it was not very clear from the context). Your quotes say nothing of Phyrigian. However there are scholarly opinions that even Armenian might be related to the Anatolian languages. The uncertainty about these languages is sprung also from the lack of information but also about some certain periods of bilingualism.

As for relation between languages (Greek with Armenian or others), it's obviously some Indo-European languages are more related than others (however a real depiction of those languages history might not be accurately described as tree-like, as probably I already hinted in the first paragraph). However the processes you describe happened millenia (also, if theories like the Paleolithic Continuity Theory are right, the language split might be much more archaic than in the classical theory of Indo-European invasion) before the accounts from the ancient Greek writers. I guess the anecdotical evidence on which an uneducated (in the sense of modern scholarship) man holds two population are speaking the same language is the mutual understanding. Ancient Greek and Armenian and Iranian languages were not mutually understandable, though Armenian had loan words from both Greek and Iranian languages.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 19:29
I am nowhere near a linguist and cannot assess theories of ancient Balkan languages. I have read that the Greek language origininated somewhere in the Balkans, north of Greece. Is it possible that the Neolithic haplotypes in modern Greeks are evidence of a pre-Greek population? If modern Croatians are largely descended from pre-Slavic peoples, why should the modern Greeks not be in part descended from pre-Greek peoples?  Were the most ancient Greek speakers a relatively small military elite, who linguistically influenced their neighbors? Were they like the modern Turks, who are in large part descended from indigenous peoples?

The debate among linguists is whether the Indo-European language originated in the Kurgan area or Anatolia (or both).
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 20:27
Originally posted by elenos

For the sake of clarity could you please explain what you mean by being invaded? Who attacked who and what how could there be any evidence if going by the dates you give - ie 15000 years ago?

Being "invaded" from the south and east? First we have this proposed attack and being attacked by what - fleets of Ice Age Anatolian canoes? Granted the sea level may have been much lower but if glancing at a modern map the only land migration route into Greece is from the north.

Elenos, the word invaded was a metaphor...I don't mean there was a war. Migrated is more correct.

The genographic project does not give any route from the north at all. I don't know if by north you mean entering southern thrace and moving down though.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2007 at 21:44
Flipper, it just a minor correction, but it can get confusing to use the word invasion instead of population movement, that makes it sound like  a tale out of an Atlantis legend!

Then the established dates given for Indo-European language only goes back five thousand years. If this dating for languages has changed then let's discuss that. So far as established history is concerned calling on the the Ice Age for who lived where is pushing the envelope too far.
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>