Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Violence in Islam and Christianity: A Comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violence in Islam and Christianity: A Comparison
    Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 09:09
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by Cezar

The context is irrelevant in this case es_bih. I do know very well that those verses are not representative of your religion. In fact, I'm sure that most muslims take these as some kind of guidelines and do not build their faith on selected pieces of the Quran. The point is that there are verses that support violence.  Christianity has it's parts as well. Both religions are based on texbooks that contain a lot of such instigatory passages. And these are used by some nutcases to raccolate adepts. And that leads to violent acts from the part of muslims or christians.
Let's focus on a problem I've raised: what is a hostile act, according to Quran?

When someone is trying to kill you, and threatens your well being you have the right to defend yourself. And that is only if attacked. Aside from that provoking attacks also is not allowed.
I have no problem with defending against threats. The real mess is done when something is wrong with the means used in defense. Let's get non-religious, for a second. Remember WWII? I think everybody agrees that the #1 bad guys were the nazis. Well, most of them were Germans. In 1941 the 3rd Reich attacked USSR. The fight was fierce and way too many died in that conflict. Soviets were the good guys by that time. The propaganda machine was working and here's a sample of it:

"Now we understand the Germans are not human. Now the word 'German' has become the most terrible curse. Let us not speak. Let us not be indignant. Let us kill. If you do not kill a German, a German will kill you. He will carry away your family, and torture them in his damned Germany. If you have killed one German, kill another"

(there are many sources regarding this instigatory message. I don't have a direct link for it since I keep some quotes in my computer. They are easy to find on the internet. This passage is atributed to Ilya Ehrenburg)
If compared to my previous quotes from the Quran, it looks like a bad job of copy/paste.
Now, communism is, according to some, an inherently violent doctrine. It's not a religion though.
Let's see: during it's early stages, SU was threatened both from inside and outside. So was Mohammed. Therefore was it OK to support violence against those who threatened communism? I mean, basically, there was nothing wrong with communism. It was conceived as a superior society with a better and more equitable structure than capitalism. A major problem with communism was that it was designed as being atheist. That was making it a threat to any religion. But let's face it: communism was not aiming at the believers, it was after the belief. The problem is that faith is not something to smash using a bomb.
Now, I'm a "militant atheist"(some thread, that oneEvil%20Smile!) and I have a problem: I want to destroy faith but I don't want to harm the faithful. How do I do it peacefully? Let's say I start writing that faith is harmful, violent, etc. and spread this idea. Am I now an agressor? Is this a hostile act, according to islam/cristianity/whatever other religion?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 15:05
Physical violence is something to protect yourself against through obvious use of counter physical force. Islam is rational. Every action has a reaction to sum it up.

No that is not a hostile act, that is a critique of a religion, and countering that critique through reasonable responses on the academic level is what is sought after in such a situation but not violence. Violence would be unreasonable as you are not under physical threat, such a debate or critique if you will is on an intellectual level and there is a counter to that through intellectual and academic means.

In that situation you should use the idea of "different strokes for different folks," i.e. everyone has a free will in Islam and is able to choose their own path in life. If you are able to counter such criticism reasonably on a academic level you should, if not, do not involve yourself in any manner not benefiting the tenements of a righteous life.

2:256 There is no compulsion in the system;
the proper way has been made clear from
the wrong way. Whoever rejects the
transgressors, and acknowledges God,
has grasped the firm branch that will
never break. God is Hearer, Knower.

109:6 "To you is your system, and to me is
mine."

I am sure Ako will acknowledge that that is the case in Christianity, too.

Edited by es_bih - 27-Aug-2008 at 15:10
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2008 at 16:49

In that situation you should use the idea of "different strokes for different folks," i.e. everyone has a free will in Islam and is able to choose their own path in life. If you are able to counter such criticism reasonably on a academic level you should, if not, do not involve yourself in any manner not benefiting the tenements of a righteous life.

2:256 There is no compulsion in the system;
the proper way has been made clear from
the wrong way. Whoever rejects the
transgressors, and acknowledges God,
has grasped the firm branch that will
never break. God is Hearer, Knower.

mine."

I am sure Ako will acknowledge that that is the case in Christianity, too.

In theory -- and largely in practice -- yes. However the compelling thing is that both religions, while asserting a sort of right to self-determination, have benefited from compulsion at various points in the past. Also, both have historically taken a rather more violent stance toward internal heretics than toward external heretics or members of another religion (for Eastern Christianity, the suppression of the Paulicians is what comes to mind). There is always the chance that a heretic will refuse to acknowledge his heresy; the typical Christian course of action, at least in the early Church post-Constantine, was to exile or tonsure the most prominent heretical ecclesiastics. Later, as the secular rulers took a more prominent role in persecutions, things got decidedly worse. How has Islam officially dealt with those who it regarded as internal heretics? And here I mean to ask how is it supposed to deal with them, not how have they been dealt with wrongly -- according to Islamic standards -- by secular rulers at their worst.

I will post more soon; specifically I'd like to return to Christian covenantal theology, but I think I'll wait a bit more for this discussion to play out -- I'm just so glad to be back on topic. Smile

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 27-Aug-2008 at 16:51
Władysław Warnencz View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 19:22

Violence in Islam and Christianity

Earlier this month, two clerics of a world religion were accidentally killed while assembling a bomb inside their house of worship.I won’t tell you which religion, but let’s just say that absolutely no one was surprised...      LOL

Edited by Władysław Warnencz - 28-Aug-2008 at 19:23
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 19:56
Just some quotes form Quran :

Sura (8:55) - Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve

Sura (48:29) - Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves

Sura (9:30) - And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah... Allah (Himself) fights against them. How perverse are they!

Sura (8:12) - I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them

Sura (9:123) - O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness

Sura (5:33) - The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement

Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies of Allah and your enemies and others besides, whom ye may not know (8:60)

Strive hard (Jihad) against the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be firm against them. Their abode is Hell,- an evil refuge indeed.  (66:9, See also 9:73)

…He whom Allah sendeth astray, for him there is no guide. For them is a penalty in the life of this world, but harder, truly, is the penalty of the Hereafter… (13:33:34)

And unto Allah falleth prostrate whosoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly (13:15)

Those who resist Allah and His Messenger will be among those most humiliated. (58:20 - The context for this verse is the eviction of the Jewish tribes of Medina and the confiscation of their wealth, land, and children by Muhammad).

And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah8:39

Personally,i don't see anything violent in those texts...There is NO incitement to violence,like for example fighting unbelievers,crucifying them,cuting their legs and arms and so on...It is totally WRONG to state there is a drop of violence in Islam or in the actions of Muhhamed,who was NOT a bandit and a murderer...
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 21:06
Originally posted by Władysław Warnencz

Earlier this month, two clerics of a world religion were accidentally killed while assembling a bomb inside their house of worship.I won’t tell you which religion, but let’s just say that absolutely no one was surprised...      LOL

Władysław,

Maybe this wasn't properly explained the first seven times I said it, so let me be perfectly clear: This sort of nonsense is a disgraceful mockery of what was supposed to be an honest discussion. This thread is not to be used as a vehicle for simplistic criticisms and hateful sarcasm; if you can't participate maturely, leave. This post adds nothing, nothing to the thread, and your quotations from the Quran should be coupled with analysis, not sarcasm. This sort of thing will not be tolerated. We have only recently gotten this thread back on track, and I will not allow you to derail it.

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 21:12

Sura (8:55) - Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve

Sura (48:29) - Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves

Sura (9:30) - And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah... Allah (Himself) fights against them. How perverse are they!

Sura (8:12) - I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them

Sura (9:123) - O you who believe! Fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness

Sura (5:33) - The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement

Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies of Allah and your enemies and others besides, whom ye may not know (8:60)

Strive hard (Jihad) against the Unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be firm against them. Their abode is Hell,- an evil refuge indeed.  (66:9, See also 9:73)

…He whom Allah sendeth astray, for him there is no guide. For them is a penalty in the life of this world, but harder, truly, is the penalty of the Hereafter… (13:33:34)

And unto Allah falleth prostrate whosoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly (13:15)

Those who resist Allah and His Messenger will be among those most humiliated. (58:20 - The context for this verse is the eviction of the Jewish tribes of Medina and the confiscation of their wealth, land, and children by Muhammad).

Personally,i don't see anything violent in those texts...There is NO incitement to violence,like for example fighting unbelievers,crucifying them,cuting their legs and arms and so on...It is totally WRONG to state there is a drop of violence in Islam or in the actions of Muhhamed,who was NOT a bandit and a murderer...

Did you even bother reading my lengthy three posts on some of Menu's quotes that defeat the purpose of you re-quoting garbage selective quoting again?

And look at 8:39 in your in your own batch! until persecution is no more... seems like self defense to me...

Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Władysław Warnencz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 21:34
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Władysław,

Maybe this wasn't properly explained the first seven times I said it, so let me be perfectly clear: This sort of nonsense is a disgraceful mockery of what was supposed to be an honest discussion. This thread is not to be used as a vehicle for simplistic criticisms and hateful sarcasm; if you can't participate maturely, leave. This post adds nothing, nothing to the thread, and your quotations from the Quran should be coupled with analysis, not sarcasm. This sort of thing will not be tolerated. We have only recently gotten this thread back on track, and I will not allow you to derail it.

-Akolouthos

Why should this be nonsense?The fact that CLERICS,meaning people who understand and preach a certain religion were making those bombs clearly shows what this religion is teaching.Who understands the religion better than the clerics?You?Me?I think those clerics know best what their religion is teaching and they clearly showed it by prepearing the bombs.Maybe all those pages and pages of writings and thoughts you and others made (and i read them all)are nonsense for those celrics?Maybe things are much more simple and the guys with the bombs keep showing it to us...

Edited by Władysław Warnencz - 28-Aug-2008 at 21:35
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 22:23

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">

8:53 That is because God was not to change

anything He bestowed to a people,

unless they change what is in

themselves. God is Hearer,

Knowledgeable.

8:54 Like the behavior of Pharaoh's people

and those before them. They denied the

signs of their Lord, so We destroyed

them by their sins, and We drowned the

people of Pharaoh; all of them were

wicked.

8:55 The worst creatures to God are those

who reject, for they do not acknowledge.

Here in context God gives people the right to choose their own path. Freedom of choice is a fundamental thought in Islam and Abrahamic religious tradition overall. Furthermore, those references are from the Old Testament are, nothing unique here.

48:26 Those who rejected had put in their

hearts the rage of the days of ignorance,

then God sent down tranquility upon His

messenger and those who acknowledge,

and directed them to uphold the word of

righteousness, and they were well

entitled to it and worthy of it. God is

fully aware of all things.

48:27 God has fulfilled with truth His

messenger's vision: "You will enter the

Restricted Temple, God willing, secure,

with your heads shaven and shortened,

having no fear." Thus, He knew what

you did not know, and He has coupled

with this a near victory.

48:28 He is the One who sent His messenger

with the guidance and the system of

truth, so that it would expose all other

systems. God is sufficient as a witness.*

48:29 Muhammad, the messenger of God, and

those who are with him, are severe

against the ingrates, but merciful

between themselves. You see them

kneeling and prostrating, they seek

God's blessings and approval. Their

distinction is in their faces, as a result of

prostrating. Such is their example in the

Torah. Their example in the Injeel is like

a plant which shoots out and becomes

strong and thick and it stands straight on

its trunk, pleasing to the farmers. That

He may enrage the ingrates with them.

God promises those among them who

acknowledge and do good works

forgiveness and a great reward.

Nothing against Christians again, in the Peninsula Arabs and Jews participated in many functions of the Islamic state, alongside in the Arabic conquest, too. The righteousness of Gods path is stressed, yes, but that is a universal acknowledgement in religious traditions worldwide.

That next quote is dealing with accepting Prophethood as a sign of divinity. Obviously by now you should know that in Islam there is no son, or partner of God. Monotheism is stressed highly.

8:12 Your Lord inspired to the angels: "I am

with you so keep firm those who

acknowledge. I will cast fear into the

hearts of those who have rejected; so

strike above the necks, and strike every

finger."*

8:13 That is because they have aggressed

against God and His messenger.

Whoever aggresses against God and His

messenger, then God is severe in

retribution.

Self defense simple.

60:8 God does not forbid you from those who

have not fought you because of your

system, nor drove you out of your

homes, that you deal kindly and

equitably with them. For God loves the

equitable.

60:9 But God does forbid you regarding those

who fought you because of your system,

and drove you out of your homes, and

helped to drive you out. You shall not

ally with them. Those who ally with

them, then such are the transgressors.

5:33 The recompense of those who fight God

and His messenger and seek to corrupt

the land, is that they will be killed or

crucified or that their hands and feet be

cut off on alternate sides or that they be

banished from the land. That is a

disgrace for them in this world. In the

Hereafter, they will have a great

retribution;*

5:34 Except for those who repent before you

overpower them, then know that God is

Forgiving, Compassionate.

5:35 O you who acknowledge, be aware of

God and seek a way to Him, and strive

in His cause; that you may succeed.

5:36 Those who have rejected, if they had all

that is on earth and the same again with

it to ransom against the retribution of the

day of Resurrection, it will not be

accepted from them; and they will have a

painful retribution.

5:37 They want to get out of the fire, but they

can never leave it; and they will have a

lasting retribution.

Commentary by Yuksel:

005:033-34 The repeated use of the passive voice is

not a coincidence; it is to indicate that the acts are not

instructions, but statements of fact. In other words,

those who roam the earth to promote and commit

atrocities and bloodshed are going to get what they

promote. Those who live by the sword die by the

sword. The Arabic word fasad means destruction,

mischief, discord, warmongering or corruption. It is

frequently contrasted with islah and its derivatives,

which mean reform or promoting peace (7:56,85).

Fasad is not mere faith or opinion; it refers to the acts

of corruption or aggressive and destructive actions

(See 2:30,205,251; 5:64; 10:91; 18:94; 21:22; 22:40;

28:4; 33:71; 89:12; 2:256, and 4:140). The Bible has

a similar statement: "those who kill by the sword

must die by the sword." See Matthew 26:52;

Revelation 13:10. Also see the Quran 9:3-29.

So responding to destructive acts and aggression is allowed. Do not see how that defies common sense.

8:56 The ones whom you made a pledge with

them, then they break their pledge every

time, and they do not care.

8:57 So, when you encounter them in battle,

set them as an example to those who

would come after them; perhaps they

may remember.

8:58 If you are being betrayed by a people,

then you shall likewise move against

them. God does not like the betrayers.

8:59 Let not those who have rejected think

that they have escaped; they will never

avail themselves.

8:60 Prepare for them all that you can of

might, and from horse powers, that you

may instill fear with it towards God's

enemy and your enemy, and others

beside them whom you do not know but

God knows them. Whatever you spend

in the cause of God will be returned to

you, and you will not be wronged.

8:61 If they seek peace, then you also seek it,

and put your trust in God. He is the

Hearer, the Knowledgeable.

8:62 If they wish to deceive you, then God is

sufficient for you. He is the One who

supported you with His victory and with

those who acknowledge.

Again self defense. Dont know how much more I can stress it.

The Jihad quotes obviously are out of context, you must understand that these quotes are part of a bigger book, and when we look at the whole context we see that self defense is allowed, aggression, not so striving against hostile people who do not physically attack you can be in a non violent manner, too. Look for common examples in Todays world such as Martin Luthers non-violent movement, boycotts, and embargos.

Additionally your arrogance and your witty attempt at sarcasm is highly unwelcome in this thread that is going to be highly moderated by my friend Ako and I.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2008 at 22:25

Originally posted by Akolouthos

Władysław,

-Akolouthos

Why should this be nonsense?The fact that CLERICS,meaning people who understand and preach a certain religion were making those bombs clearly shows what this religion is teaching.Who understands the religion better than the clerics?You?Me?I think those clerics know best what their religion is teaching and they clearly showed it by prepearing the bombs.Maybe all those pages and pages of writings and thoughts you and others made (and i read them all)are nonsense for those celrics?Maybe things are much more simple and the guys with the bombs keep showing it to us...

Clerics are not an ultimate authority on religion, and they are not perfect. Anyone can claim authority by uttering a few lines and getting a following for their temporal ambitions. If those clerics knew they would not have done any of that in the first place. In my humble opinon I can state that I know more than them on faith. You confuse priestly functions in Christianity and Islam, the latter lacks completely a priestly order, cleric is a wrong word.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 08:30

It seems that both Christianity and Islam are, when proper looked upon, peaceful. Violence in the name of the two religions has been commited in the past, and there are a lot of justifications for those events. Now, I don't dissociate a religion from the religious. Since it's  violence that concern us, let's study the following hypothetical situation:

Me and two other non religious people want to make a public appearance regarding our opinion towards religion. We want to use a large banner that writes: "Religion is an illusion! Forget about divinity and afterlife, focus on what you have now!". We want to just go down a main street of major cities carrying this banner. Nothing more. Here's a list of the locations we want to do it: Washington, London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Bucharest, Moscow, Beijing, Calcutta, Islamabad, Teheran, Melbourne, Buenos Aires, Tokyo, Lima, Tel Aviv, Damascus, Istanbul, Athens, Belgrade, Sarajevo, Zagreb, Warszaw and Oslo.
Two questions:
  1. Where are we going to be allowed to do it?
  2. Where is it safe to do it? (like in getting out of it without being physically hurt)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 09:59
Originally posted by Cezar

It seems that both Christianity and Islam are, when proper looked upon, peaceful. Violence in the name of the two religions has been commited in the past, and there are a lot of justifications for those events. Now, I don't dissociate a religion from the religious.

A fair analysis.

As far as the question;

In almost any city in the US would be the safest. We have a strong sense of freedom of speech here for all our faults. You can do things like that safely regardless of who is pissed off at it.

In London, too, Paris most likely, I do believe in Zagreb or Sarajevo ( but the gay parade unfortunately got shut down very early due to violence in both capitals).

In theory however and in practice in more rational cities, perhaps like Istanbul you could do that. And when looked at from an Islamic perspective you have complete right to do so. Someone can say that they disagree with you on it, but they have no right to interfere with your God given freedom of choice. It is after all a divine right, and if someone ignorantly so interferes that is a sin committed by him upon you and God, who commanded freedom of choice and belief to humanity. Basically you have all the right to do that in Islam, a Muslim should turn the other cheek on that, he may counter with an argument in a polite fashion befitting Islamic norms on interaction, but not try to stop or defer rights.

2:256 There is no compulsion in religion, for the right way is clearly from the wrong way. Whoever therefore rejects the forces of evil and believes in God, he has taken hold of a support most unfailing, which shall never give way, for God is All Hearing and Knowing.

Freedom of conscience, and extended to freedom of choice as that is also mentioned through out the Qu'ran. Humanity has an ability to choose what path they wish, hence why the concept of Heaven and Hell in the first place.

16:82 But if they turn away from you, (O Prophet remember that) your only duty is a clear delivery of the Message (entrusted to you).

A qoute to the Prophet, and believers in general, you can mention something on faith in a proper manner, but you have no right to infringe on other peoples's rights.

mine."

4:79, 80 (Say to everyone of them,) 'Whatever good betides you is from God and whatever evil betides you is from your own self and that We have (O Prophet) sent you to mankind only as a messenger and all sufficing is God as witness. Whoso obeys the Messenger, he indeed obeys God. And for those who turn away, We have not sent you as a keeper."
88:21, 22; also see 24:54 And so, (O Prophet!) exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe.
39:41 Assuredly, We have sent down the Book to you in right form for the good of man. Whoso guided himself by it does so to his own advantage, and whoso turns away from it does so at his own loss. You certainly are not their keeper.

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 12:18
es_bih, I don't mind you quoting relevant passages from the Quran, yet you do it too oftenWink.
The bottom line is that my question has an answer that you won't like: if I try to do that public manifestation in most Islamic countries I get banged. Therefore the conclusion that muslims are more inclined to act violently than christians. Since usually religion is asociated with the person that is religious, the final conclusion would be that Islam is the most violent religion. No matter what the Quran states, no matter that not respecting the choice of belief of another person is not right acoording to Quran, it is quite obvious that, in most of the countries that are recognized as being islamic, violence is the reaction to anti-islamic attitudes. Is a cartoon of the prophet a hostile act?
In the end, the problem is not the belief it's the believers.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 15:26
Your deduction is bs nevertheless, we are talking about theology in this thread not about world events. You also will deduce by studying this further; most of the Islamic world is less educated, and less economically developed than the West. The Balkans are a hit and miss for that matter. In some places you would get drawn and quartered for such display and it would be a 100% Christian. You cannot deduce that Islam is inherently violent or drawn to violence by the fact that some uneducated rabble will try to act violently. That still does not get beyond the proven fact that they are commiting a sin in the Islamic tradition, hence that this act is disasociated with Islam.

You cannot have your cakie and eat it, too, by announcing Islam most violent then opting out for a safe end by saying it is the believers but not the belief because I've consistently proven you wrong on those grounds.

Qouting the Qu'ran is absolutely necessary in this situation since this is a discussion on actual theology of the two faiths, not on the way their adherents behave.

In that case read up on Christians killing Hindus and Hindus burning their homes in return about a few days ago in India.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 15:41
Gotta agree with es_bih here. While modern events may be a topic of analysis in this thread, they place a distant third. We are analyzing the way in which the theology of the two religions -- and specifically those parts which pertain to violence -- have been lived out throughout history. The modern world, while relevant, represents a very small part of this narrative.

And I do want to note (especially in light of recent events in this thread) that I am not suggesting that your post was made in anything other than good faith, or that it was off-topic; it touches the issue we are dealing with, but does penetrate to the core.

-Akolouthos
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2008 at 23:29
I would like those interested in participating to cite quotes specifically dealing with violence

I suppose it would be easy to google,yahoo or whatever for violent versus in the Old Testement and the Qu'ran. Genesis

The thing is I do not see Christians or Jews taking these versus to their conclusion like I see with radical Islam. There might be a few fringe groups.

Christianity or Islam both are less violent than the Communist in my opionion but that is for another thread.

Old testement cruelty:
Because God liked Abel's animal sacrifice more than Cain's vegetables, Cain kills his brother Abel in a fit of religious jealousy. 4:8

God is angry. He decides to destroy all humans, beasts, creeping things, fowls, and "all flesh wherein there is breath of life." He plans to drown them all. 6:7, 17

God repeats his intention to kill "every living substance ... from off the face of the earth." But why does God kill all the innocent animals? What had they done to deserve his wrath? It seems God never gets his fill of tormenting animals. 7:4

God drowns everything that breathes air. From newborn babies to koala bears -- all creatures great and small, the Lord God drowned them all. 7:21-23

God sends a plague on the Pharaoh and his household because the Pharaoh believed Abram's lie. 12:17

God tells Abram to kill some animals for him. The needless slaughter makes God feel better. 15:9-10

Hagar conceives, making Sarai jealous. Abram tells Sarai to do to Hagar whatever she wants. "And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled." 16:6

"I will not destroy it for ten's sake."
I guess God couldn't find even ten good Sodomites because he decides to kill them all in Genesis 19. Too bad Abraham didn't ask God about the children. Why not save them? If Abraham could find 10 good children, toddlers, infants, or babies, would God spare the city? Apparently not. God doesn't give a damn about children. 18:32

Lot refuses to give up his angels to the perverted mob, offering his two "virgin daughters" instead. He tells the bunch of angel rapers to "do unto them [his daughters] as is good in your eyes." This is the same man that is called "just" and "righteous" in 2 Peter 2:7-8. 19:7-8

God kills everyone (men, women, children, infants, newborns) in Sodom and Gomorrah by raining "fire and brimstone from the Lord out of heaven." Well, almost everyone -- he spares the "just and righteous" Lot and his family. 19:24

Lot's nameless wife looks back, and God turns her into a pillar of salt. 19:26

God threatens to kill Abimelech and his people for believing Abe's lie. 20:3-7

Sarai tells Abraham to "cast out this bondwoman and her son." God commands him to "hearken unto her voice." So Abraham abandons Hagar and Ishmael, casting them out into the wilderness to die. 21:10-14

God orders Abraham to kill Isaac as a burnt offering. Abraham shows his love for God by his willingness to murder his son. But finally, just before Isaac's throat is slit, God provides a goat to kill instead. 22:2-13

Abraham shows his willingness to kill his son for God. Only an evil God would ask a father to do that; only a bad father would be willing to do it. 22:10

Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, is "defiled" by a man who seems to love her dearly. Her brothers trick all of the men of the town and kill them (after first having them all circumcised), and then take their wives and children captive. 34:1-31

"The terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them." 35:5

"And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him." What did Er do to elicit God's wrath? The Bible doesn't say. Maybe he picked up some sticks on Saturday. 38:7

After God killed Er, Judah tells Onan to "go in unto they brother's wife." But "Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and ... when he went in unto his brother's wife ... he spilled it on the ground.... And the thing which he did displeased the Lord; wherefore he slew him also." This lovely Bible story is seldom read in Sunday School, but it is the basis of many Christian doctrines, including the condemnation of both masturbation and birth control. 38:8-10

After Judah pays Tamar for her services, he is told that she "played the harlot" and "is with child by whoredom." When Judah hears this, he says, "Bring her forth, and let her be burnt." 38:24

Joseph interprets the baker's dream. He says that the pharaoh will cut off the baker's head, and hang his headless body on a tree for the birds to eat. 40:19

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

Cruelty in the Quran
Those who disbelieve ... will be fuel for Fire.--3:10

Don't bother to warn the disbelievers. Allah has blinded them. Theirs will be an awful doom. 2:6

Allah has sickened their hearts. A painful doom is theirs because they lie. 2:10

A fire has been prepared for the disbelievers, whose fuel is men and stones. 2:24

Disbelievers will be burned with fire. 2:39, 90

"Guard yourselves against a day when no soul will in aught avail another, nor will intercession be accepted from it, nor will compensation be received from it, nor will they be helped."
There will come a day when Allah will refuse all prayers and help no one. 2:48

Allah brags about drowning the Egyptian army. 2:50

"Whosoever hath done evil and his sin surroundeth him; such are rightful owners of the Fire." 2:81

If you believe in only part of the Scripture, you will suffer in this life and go to hell in the next. 2:85

Jews are the greediest of all humankind. They'd like to live 1000 years. But they are going to hell. 2:96

For disbelievers is a painful doom. 2:104

For unbelievers: ignominy in this world, an awful doom in the next. 2:114

"And thou wilt not be asked about the owners of hell-fire." (They are the non-muslims.) 2:119

Allah will leave the disbelievers alone for a while, but then he will compel them to the doom of Fire. 2:126

The doom of the disbelievers will not be lightened. 2:162

Allah is severe punishment! 2:165-6

They will not emerge from the Fire. 2:167

Those who hide the Scripture will have their bellies eaten with fire. Theirs will be a painful doom. 2:174

How constant are they in their strife to reach the Fire! 2:175

"Fight in the way of Allah." 2:190, 2:244

Believers must retaliate. Those who transgress will have a painful doom. 2:178

Kill disbelievers wherever you find them. If they attack you, then kill them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. (But if they desist in their unbelief, then don't kill them.) 2:191-2

"Guard us from the doom of Fire." 2:201

Those who fail in their duty to Allah are proud and sinful. They will all go to hell. 2:206

War is ordained by Allah, and all Muslims must be willing to fight, whether they like it or not. 2:216

Those who die in their disbelief will burn forever in the Fire. 2:217

Those who marry unbelievers will burn in the Fire. 2:221

Disbelievers worship false gods. The will burn forever in the Fire. 2:257

"Those who swallow usury ... are rightful owners of the Fire." 2:275

Those who disbelieve the revelations of Allah, theirs will be a heavy doom. 3:4

Those who disbelieve will be fuel for the Fire. 3:10

Those who disbelieve shall be overcome and gathered unto Hell. 3:12

"Guard us from the punishment of Fire." 3:16

Non-muslims will be punished by Allah for their nonbelief. 3:19

Those who disbelieve, promise them a painful doom. 3:21

"They [Christians and Jews] say: The Fire will not touch us save for a certain number of days. That which they used to invent hath deceived them regarding their religion." (The Fire will burn them forever.) 3:24

Theirs will be a painful doom. 3:77

All non-Muslims will be rejected by Allah after they die. 3:85

Apostates will be cursed by Allah, angels, and men. They will have a painful doom. 3:86-88

Disbelievers will have a painful doom. And they will have no helpers. 3:91

"Ye were upon the brink of an abyss of fire, and He did save you from it." 3:103

Disbelievers will have their faces blackened on the last day. They will face an awful doom. 3:105-6

Those who disbelieve will be burnt in the Fire. 3:116

The Fire is prepared for disbelievers. 3:131

We shall cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Their habitation is the Fire 3:151

If you die fighting for Allah, you'll be rewarded in heaven. 3:157

"Is one who followeth the pleasure of Allah as one who hath earned condemnation from Allah, whose habitation is the Fire?"
Unbelievers will burn forever in the Fire. 3:162

"Think not of those, who are slain in the way of Allah, as dead."
(Quoted by Osama bin Laden in his 'letter to America' regarding the 11 September 2001 attacks.) 3:169-171

Theirs will be an awful doom. 3:176

Disbelievers do not harm Allah, but will have a painful doom. 3:177

Disbelievers will have a shameful doom. 3:178

Whoso is removed from the Fire and is made to enter paradise, he indeed is triumphant." (The rest will burn forever in the Fire.) 3:185

Those who brag about doing good will go to hell. 3:188

"Preserve us from the doom of Fire." 3:191

"Our Lord! Whom Thou causest to enter the Fire: him indeed Thou hast confounded. For evil-doers there will be no helpers." 3:192

Those who die fighting for Allah will go to heaven. 3:195

Disbelievers will go to Hell. 3:196

Don't steal from orphans (or Allah will burn you forever in hell). 4:10

Those who disobey Allah and his messenger will be burnt with fire and suffer a painful doom. 4:14

For the disbelievers and those who make a last-minute conversion, Allah has prepared a painful doom. 4:18

"We shall cast him into Fire, and that is ever easy for Allah." 4:30

For disbelievers, We prepare a shameful doom. 4:37

"Sanction is given unto those who fight because they have been wronged."
Quoted by Osama bin Laden in his 'letter to America' as a justification for the 11 September 2001 attacks. 4:39

Hell is sufficient for their burning. 4:55

Unbelievers will be tormented forever with fire. When their skin is burned off, a fresh skin will be provided. 4:56

Allah will bestow a vast reward on those who fight in religious wars. 4:74

Believers fight for Allah; disbelievers fight for the devil. So fight the minions of the devil. 4:76

Have no unbelieving friends. Kill the unbelievers wherever you find them. 4:89

If the unbelievers do not offer you peace, kill them wherever you find them. Against such you are given clear warrant. 4:91

Believers who kill believers will face the awful doom of hell. 4:93

"Their habitation will be hell, an evil journey's end." 4:97

Those who oppose the messenger and become unbelievers will go to hell. 4:115

Allah will lead them astray and they will go to hell. 4:119-121

Those who believe, then disbelieve, then believe and disbelieve again will never be forgiven by Allah. 4:137

For the hypocrites there will be a painful doom. 4:138

Allah will gather hypocrites and disbelievers into hell. 4:140

The hypocrites will be in the lowest part of hell and no one will help them there. 4:145

You must believe everything Allah and his messengers tell you. Those who don't are disbelievers and will face a painful doom. 4:150-151

For the wrongdoing Jews, Allah has prepared a painful doom. 4:160-1

God will guide disbelievers down a road that leads to everlasting hell. 4:168-169

If you don't do good works, Allah will punish you with a painful doom. 4:173

Those who deny Islam will be losers in the Hereafter. 5:5

Disbelievers are the rightful owners of Hell. 5:10

"The owners of the fire. That is the reward of evil-doers." 5:29

Those who make war with Allah and his messenger will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. That is how they will be treated in this world, and in the next they will have an awful doom. 5:33

Disbelievers will have a painful doom. 5:36

Disbelievers will want to come out of the Fire, but will not. Their will be a lasting doom. 5:37

Cut off the hands of thieves. It is an exemplary punishment from Allah. 5:38

Allah makes some people sin. He will not cleanse their hearts. They will have ignominy in this world, and in the Hereafter an awful doom. 5:41

Life for life, eye for eye, nose for nose, ear for ear, and tooth for tooth. 5:45

Christians will be burned in the Fire. 5:72

Christians are wrong about the Trinity. For that they will have a painful doom. 5:73

Muslims that make friends with disbelievers will face a doom prepared for them by Allah. 5:80

Disbelievers will be owners of hell-fire. 5:86

Allah will test believers to see if they are afraid. Those who fail a second test will suffer a a painful doom. 5:94

After agreeing to send down a table of food from heaven, Jesus warns his disciples that will catch holy hell if they ever stop believing. 5:115

Those who deny the truth of Islam will be punished by Allah. 6:5

"See the nature of the consequence for the rejecters!" 6:11

Many generations have been destroyed by Allah. 6:6

Disbelievers will say when they see the Fire that they would have believed if they had known the truth. But they are all liars. 6:27-28

"Evil-doers flout the revelations of Allah." 6:33

Allah will torment those how deny his revelations. 6:49

Those who disbelieve will be forced to drink boiling water, and will face a painful doom. 6:70

When nonbelievers die, the angels will deliver to them doom and degradation. 6:93

Allah allows some to disbelieve in the afterlife, and to take pleasure in their disbelief, so that he can torment them forever after they die. 6:113

Allah chooses to lead some astray, and he lays ignominy on those who disbelieve. 6:125

Allah will send everyone the Fire, except those he chooses to deliver. 6:128

Let the idolaters kill their children. It is Allah's will. 6:137

The worst thing anyone can do is deny the revelations of Allah. Those who do so will be awared an evil doom. 6:157

How many a township have We destroyed! As a raid by night, or while they slept at noon, Our terror came unto them. 7:4-5

Allah banishes Iblis and promises to fill hell with those who are mislead by him. 7:18

Disbelievers are the rightful owners of the Fire. 7:36

Entire nations have entered the Fire. Some get a double torment. 7:38

"Taste the doom for what ye used to earn." 7:39

Disbelievers will be excluded from heaven. Theirs will be a bed of hell. 7:40-41

Those in the fire will be taunted by those in the Garden. "So how's it going down there? Are you enjoying the warmth of the Fire?" 7:44

Those in the Garden will plead with Allah not to be cast into the Fire. 7:47

Those in the Fire will cry out to those in heaven, saying: "Pour water on us." But Allah has forbidden that to disbelievers. 7:50

Allah drowned everyone on earth (except Noah and his family) because they disbelieved. 7:64

Those who believe incorrectly will face the terror and wrath of Allah. 7:71

"We cut the root of those who denied Our revelations and were not believers." 7:72

Allah killed the disbelievers with an earthquake. 7:78

Allah killed everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah except Lot and his daughters.
7:83-84

"So the earthquake seized them."
Allah killed the disbelievers with an earthquake. 7:90-91

"How can I sorrow for a people that rejected (truth)?"
Shu'eyb tells the Allah's victims that they deserved to die for rejecting Islam. 7:93

"Then We seized them unawares, when they perceived not."
Unbelievers are never safe from Allah's wrath. 7:95-99

"We straitened Pharaoh's folk with famine."
Allah sent a famine on all of the Egyptians to punish Pharaoh. 7:130

"So We sent against them the flood and the locusts and the vermin and the frogs and the blood - a succession of clear signs." 7:133

"We drowned them in the sea: because they denied Our revelations." 7:136

Those who worship the calf will suffer terror and humiliation from Allah. 7:152

"But those of them who ... changed the word ... We sent down upon them wrath from heaven." 7:162

"Why preach ye to a folk whom Allah is about to destroy or punish with an awful doom?" 7:164

"When they forgot that whereof they had been reminded, We ... visited [them] with dreadful punishment." 7:165

Allah will punish the disbelieving Jews until the Day of Resurrection. 7:167

Allah has already sent many people and jinn to hell. They were worse than cows: they couldn't see or hear and were neglectful. 7:179

"Allah ... cut the root of the disbelievers."
Allah destroyed the unbelievers. 8:7

Allah will throw fear into the hearts of the disbelievers, and smite their necks and fingers

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/quran/cruelty/long.html

Edited by eaglecap - 29-Aug-2008 at 23:30
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 00:15
Originally posted by eaglecap

I would like those interested in participating to cite quotes specifically dealing with violence

I suppose it would be easy to google,yahoo or whatever for violent versus in the Old Testement and the Qu'ran. Genesis

The thing is I do not see Christians or Jews taking these versus to their conclusion like I see with radical Islam. There might be a few fringe groups.

Christianity or Islam both are less violent than the Communist in my opionion but that is for another thread.

Old testement cruelty:
Because God liked Abel's animal sacrifice more than Cain's vegetables, Cain kills his brother Abel in a fit of religious jealousy. 4:8
 It doesn't say that it was out of religous jealousy and besides Cain chose of his own free will to kill Abel
God is angry. He decides to destroy all humans, beasts, creeping things, fowls, and "all flesh wherein there is breath of life." He plans to drown them all. 6:7, 17
Well if you believe in Angel's, around that time Noah and his family were probably the only people that were still human and Gdo told him to bring animal's on to the Ark and he promised Noah he wouldnever do that again
God repeats his intention to kill "every living substance ... from off the face of the earth." But why does God kill all the innocent animals? What had they done to deserve his wrath? It seems God never gets his fill of tormenting animals. 7:4
Again God told Noah to bring animal's on to the Ark and he promised that he would never do that again 
God drowns everything that breathes air. From newborn babies to koala bears -- all creatures great and small, the Lord God drowned them all. 7:21-23
See above besides there wasn't one rightous man among them, do you wan't a society of evil criminal's to live
God sends a plague on the Pharaoh and his household because the Pharaoh believed Abram's lie. 12:17
What lie?
God tells Abram to kill some animals for him. The needless slaughter makes God feel better. 15:9-10
It symbolized forgiveness
Hagar conceives, making Sarai jealous. Abram tells Sarai to do to Hagar whatever she wants. "And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled." 16:6
Well that say's more about Sarai than it does about God 
"I will not destroy it for ten's sake."
I guess God couldn't find even ten good Sodomites because he decides to kill them all in Genesis 19. Too bad Abraham didn't ask God about the children. Why not save them? If Abraham could find 10 good children, toddlers, infants, or babies, would God spare the city? Apparently not. God doesn't give a damn about children. 18:32
Read the new testament besides mabye the people Gdo was talking about were baby's, suppose one of the reason's God wanted to destroy the city's was because they killed their own children    
Lot refuses to give up his angels to the perverted mob, offering his two "virgin daughters" instead. He tells the bunch of angel rapers to "do unto them [his daughters] as is good in your eyes." This is the same man that is called "just" and "righteous" in 2 Peter 2:7-8. 19:7-8
His angel's????? and I don't recall him giving his daughter's to the mob and even if he did that say's more about Lot than it does God 
God kills everyone (men, women, children, infants, newborns) in Sodom and Gonmorrah by raining "fire and brimstone from the Lord out of heaven." Well, almost everyone -- he spares the "just and righteous" Lot and his family. 19:24
Would you prefer he let the evil people live?
Lot's nameless wife looks back, and God turns her into a pillar of salt. 19:26
He did warn them
God threatens to kill Abimelech and his people for believing Abe's lie. 20:3-7
What lie???????
Sarai tells Abraham to "cast out this bondwoman and her son." God commands him to "hearken unto her voice." So Abraham abandons Hagar and Ishmael, casting them out into the wilderness to die. 21:10-14
And God provided for them
God orders Abraham to kill Isaac as a burnt offering. Abraham shows his love for God by his willingness to murder his son. But finally, just before Isaac's throat is slit, God provides a goat to kill instead. 22:2-13
It was test of his faith and his son willingly went
Abraham shows his willingness to kill his son for God. Only an evil God would ask a father to do that; only a bad father would be willing to do it. 22:10
See above
Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, is "defiled" by a man who seems to love her dearly. Her brothers trick all of the men of the town and kill them (after first having them all circumcised), and then take their wives and children captive. 34:1-31
Well wouldn't you want to kill someone who raped your sister?? besides they choose to do it of their own free will that say's more about thme than does about God and they didn't do it in God's name 
"The terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them." 35:5
What city's??
"And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him." What did Er do to elicit God's wrath? The Bible doesn't say. Maybe he picked up some sticks on Saturday. 38:7
Mabye you shouldn't jump to conclusions
After God killed Er, Judah tells Onan to "go in unto they brother's wife." But "Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and ... when he went in unto his brother's wife ... he spilled it on the ground.... And the thing which he did displeased the Lord; wherefore he slew him also." This lovely Bible story is seldom read in Sunday School, but it is the basis of many Christian doctrines, including the condemnation of both masturbation and birth control. 38:8-10
He was with a woman how is that masturbation??
After Judah pays Tamar for her services, he is told that she "played the harlot" and "is with child by whoredom." When Judah hears this, he says, "Bring her forth, and let her be burnt." 38:24
That's his problem not God's God didn't make him do that  
Joseph interprets the baker's dream. He says that the pharaoh will cut off the baker's head, and hang his headless body on a tree for the birds to eat. 40:19
That has nothing to do with God, that's the pharoah's choice

You do realize that all those verse's are from before christianity???? back then most of those people were jew's. The thread is about islam and Christianity not islam and jewish belief's.     

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 00:40
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Originally posted by eaglecap

I would like those interested in participating to cite quotes specifically dealing with violence I suppose it would be easy to google,yahoo or whatever for violent versus in the Old Testement and the Qu'ran. Genesis The thing is I do not see Christians or Jews taking these versus to their conclusion like I see with radical Islam. There might be a few fringe groups. Christianity or Islam both are less violent than the Communist in my opionion but that is for another thread. Old testement cruelty: Because God liked Abel's animal sacrifice more than Cain's vegetables, Cain kills his brother Abel in a fit of religious jealousy. 4:8  It doesn't say that it was out of religous jealousy and besides Cain chose of his own free will to kill AbelGod is angry. He decides to destroy all humans, beasts, creeping things, fowls, and "all flesh wherein there is breath of life." He plans to drown them all. 6:7, 17 Well if you believe in Angel's, around that time Noah and his family were probably the only people that were still human and Gdo told him to bring animal's on to the Ark and he promised Noah he wouldnever do that againGod repeats his intention to kill "every living substance ... from off the face of the earth." But why does God kill all the innocent animals? What had they done to deserve his wrath? It seems God never gets his fill of tormenting animals. 7:4 Again God told Noah to bring animal's on to the Ark and he promised that he would never do that again God drowns everything that breathes air. From newborn babies to koala bears -- all creatures great and small, the Lord God drowned them all. 7:21-23 See above besides there wasn't one rightous man among them, do you wan't a society of evil criminal's to liveGod sends a plague on the Pharaoh and his household because the Pharaoh believed Abram's lie. 12:17 What lie?God tells Abram to kill some animals for him. The needless slaughter makes God feel better. 15:9-10 It symbolized forgivenessHagar conceives, making Sarai jealous. Abram tells Sarai to do to Hagar whatever she wants. "And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled." 16:6 Well that say's more about Sarai than it does about God "I will not destroy it for ten's sake." I guess God couldn't find even ten good Sodomites because he decides to kill them all in Genesis 19. Too bad Abraham didn't ask God about the children. Why not save them? If Abraham could find 10 good children, toddlers, infants, or babies, would God spare the city? Apparently not. God doesn't give a damn about children. 18:32 Read the new testament besides mabye the people Gdo was talking about were baby's, suppose one of the reason's God wanted to destroy the city's was because they killed their own children    Lot refuses to give up his angels to the perverted mob, offering his two "virgin daughters" instead. He tells the bunch of angel rapers to "do unto them [his daughters] as is good in your eyes." This is the same man that is called "just" and "righteous" in 2 Peter 2:7-8. 19:7-8 His angel's????? and I don't recall him giving his daughter's to the mob and even if he did that say's more about Lot than it does God God kills everyone (men, women, children, infants, newborns) in Sodom and Gonmorrah by raining "fire and brimstone from the Lord out of heaven." Well, almost everyone -- he spares the "just and righteous" Lot and his family. 19:24 Would you prefer he let the evil people live?Lot's nameless wife looks back, and God turns her into a pillar of salt. 19:26 He did warn themGod threatens to kill Abimelech and his people for believing Abe's lie. 20:3-7 What lie???????Sarai tells Abraham to "cast out this bondwoman and her son." God commands him to "hearken unto her voice." So Abraham abandons Hagar and Ishmael, casting them out into the wilderness to die. 21:10-14 And God provided for themGod orders Abraham to kill Isaac as a burnt offering. Abraham shows his love for God by his willingness to murder his son. But finally, just before Isaac's throat is slit, God provides a goat to kill instead. 22:2-13 It was test of his faith and his son willingly wentAbraham shows his willingness to kill his son for God. Only an evil God would ask a father to do that; only a bad father would be willing to do it. 22:10 See aboveDinah, the daughter of Jacob, is "defiled" by a man who seems to love her dearly. Her brothers trick all of the men of the town and kill them (after first having them all circumcised), and then take their wives and children captive. 34:1-31 Well wouldn't you want to kill someone who raped your sister?? besides they choose to do it of their own free will that say's more about thme than does about God and they didn't do it in God's name "The terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them." 35:5 What city's??"And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him." What did Er do to elicit God's wrath? The Bible doesn't say. Maybe he picked up some sticks on Saturday. 38:7 Mabye you shouldn't jump to conclusionsAfter God killed Er, Judah tells Onan to "go in unto they brother's wife." But "Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and ... when he went in unto his brother's wife ... he spilled it on the ground.... And the thing which he did displeased the Lord; wherefore he slew him also." This lovely Bible story is seldom read in Sunday School, but it is the basis of many Christian doctrines, including the condemnation of both masturbation and birth control. 38:8-10 He was with a woman how is that masturbation??After Judah pays Tamar for her services, he is told that she "played the harlot" and "is with child by whoredom." When Judah hears this, he says, "Bring her forth, and let her be burnt." 38:24 That's his problem not God's God didn't make him do that  Joseph interprets the baker's dream. He says that the pharaoh will cut off the baker's head, and hang his headless body on a tree for the birds to eat. 40:19 That has nothing to do with God, that's the pharoah's choice

You do realize that all those verse's are from before christianity???? back then most of those people were jew's. The thread is about islam and Christianity not islam and jewish belief's.      

Yes, but the old Testement is part of Christianity and you cannot seperate it. The Christians do not follow the law but they use the Torah as an example of faith. It is hard to understand the violence in the Old Testement and I am sure it has caused many Christians to doubt their faith and God.

I have seen some try to use new Testement versus but often they failed to understand what Christ was saying and maybe the same could be said about the Qu'ran and Torah.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2008 at 00:46
I agree that a lot verses have been misinterperted amnd a lot of the violence was done by people who did ti in the mane of God but it was not nessisarily blessed by not God, just because they did in his name, that says' more about them than it does about God. And I am not trying to seperate the old testament form christianity

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2008 at 08:50
Mybe it's my fault but I was in a hurry when I made the last post.

Your deduction is bs nevertheless, we are talking about theology in this thread not about world events.
You are alittle bit hasty. First, I don't think we're only talking about theology. The thread is about violence in two main religions. Second, it's not my deduction. I was just showing a possible, reasoning. Unfortunately, this is the way muslims are presnted in a very large area of the world. Not fair, I agree, but the point was not about fairness. You should have noticed that I've already stated that I don't think Islam, all by itself, is violent. What I was pointing at was the fact that nowadays the countries where muslims form the majority are less tolerant than those where christians are superior in numbers. That's what I mean by muslim and/or christian world, but I guess you already knew that.
You also will deduce by studying this further; most of the Islamic world is less educated, and less economically developed than the West. The Balkans are a hit and miss for that matter. In some places you would get drawn and quartered for such display and it would be a 100% Christian.
 The Islamic world was once no.1 or at least was more advanced than the Christian Europe. Some may come to the conclusion that religion is the cause of the downfall of the muslims. Again, this is false, but since religion looks to be the main characteristic of the "two worlds", it's a deduction that is simple to make. Less educated Christians would enjoy it since it supports their belief.
You cannot deduce that Islam is inherently violent or drawn to violence by the fact that some uneducated rabble will try to act violently. That still does not get beyond the proven fact that they are commiting a sin in the Islamic tradition, hence that this act is disasociated with Islam.
Unless one doesn't know what Islam is. Or even if one does know about Islam but interpretes the Quran the way Menumorut here did. If a muslim commits a sin, according to Islamic tradition, he is still a muslim. A terrorist that kills innocent people crying "Allah u ackbar" cannot be dissociated from his religion. What you and I know is that religion is not the cause of violence. But religion is an important issue for those who believe. So one who has another faith would rather conclude that Islam is violent. It's more comfortable than making a thourough analysis. An "uneducated christian american" would rather think that there's something wrong with Islam than with the fact that maybe US imperialistic policy is a trigger for violence so that he shares some responsibility.

You cannot have your cakie and eat it, too, by announcing Islam most violent then opting out for a safe end by saying it is the believers but not the belief because I've consistently proven you wrong on those grounds.
I don't think you shed much light on this one. Can you point to where have you established that believing in Allah automatically makes a peaceful person of anyone?

Qouting the Qu'ran is absolutely necessary in this situation since this is a discussion on actual theology of the two faiths, not on the way their adherents behave.
That's so wonderful, except that I still need to see the religion acting vilolently while the religious do nothing. Violence is commited by people. So what adherents of a religion do is the issue of this thread eventually. It's not that I don't think quoting the Quran is necessary it's that some verses are quoted a little too often. It's not you, it's me, I don't like repetitions.

In that case read up on Christians killing Hindus and Hindus burning their homes in return about a few days ago in India.
  I never stated that Christians are totally peaceful or that the hindus are non-violent. We can discuss that in another thread. This one is comparing Christianity with Islam regarding violence. I'm not religious so I don't have a direct interest in promoting one of the two. People and their actions are associated with different labels or concepts that eventually they cannot be separated from those. The question of this thread could have been: Violence in Europe and Asia: a Comparison. Whatever elements you can take into account when discussing such a thread, I bet religion would be an important one.
"Cristianity" was quite violent for some (too long IMHO) time. After all, the 3rd Reich was mainly Christian. What makes the "two worlds" different is that in Christianity, religion is not ussually associated with human behaviour outside the spiritual realm. There is a lot of violence in the Christian world but unlike the Islam, religion doesn't seem to be the first thing people think about when violent acts occur (in most cases at least). The muslim on the other hand seem to be quite attached to their belief in a way that it defines their behaviour. Even the tone of the discussions when their religion is involved is quite ... harsh. Maybe the thread about the danish cartoons is the best example.
You know, I could argue that since religion is a human contraption, a person will choose what religion fits better with his psychology. That would mean that since most suicide terrorists are muslim, then Islam is the appropriate religion for suicide terrorists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>