Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should the Kurds be given independence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the Kurds be given independence?
    Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 12:26
Democracy. Human Rights. Secularism etc. These things are for highly advanced socities. We all know the Kurdish people are very poor agricultural people who live in their feodal conditions. Therefore before talking about a Kurdish state. Let's talk about the problems of the Kurdish people. Let's talk about Kurdish tribal life style. The clan system. The Honour killings. The marriage system called Berdel. And so on.

Just because the Kurds do not share the same way of social organization,this does not mean that their society is "inferior".In fact,agricultural,pre-industrial societies are usually very complex.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 13:06
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

As for the topic.

If It gives the Kurdish people healthy life. If It makes their conditions better. Why not? But does it really?

The first post in this thread looks wonderful indeed. Secular-Minded Kurds in Democratic Kurdistan in the Middle east.Just like what the Turkish politician Mehmet Agar says: It wouldn't actually be a problem for Turkey If a secular and democratic Kurdistanexistedbetween Turkey and the Middle east. And Turkey would be the first to help and protect such a country from the Arabs and the Iranians. In fact If you look at the region with a neutral perspective you see that It's Turkey again that helps Northern Iraq to improve the conditions.

However...

Democracy. Human Rights. Secularism etc. These things are for highly advanced socities. We all know the Kurdish people are very poor agricultural people who live in their feodal conditions. Therefore before talking about a Kurdish state. Let's talk about the problems of the Kurdish people. Let's talk about Kurdish tribal life style. The clan system. The Honour killings. The marriage system called Berdel. And so on.

What I want to say is that let's talk about the real problems of the people.     

Pure comedy gold or just the blatant chauvinism of a charlatan?! Thank you for demonstrating your astute ignorance. Maybe rural Kurds in Turkey are in such a primitive state, but that is hardly surprising and does not say a lot.

You obviously do not know the first thing about Iraqi Kurds, they practice "Democracy. Human Rights. Secularism etc." better than any society in the Middle East and are a highly educated people - this is a fact, look at the rest of Iraq, tearing itself apart, Kurdistan is the only stable and prosperous part with full democracy and minority rights. I met Kurdish professors on an exchange to Glasgow University from Salahadin University in Suleymaniye, Kurdistan and I know many Iraqi Kurdish doctors, engineers, ex-(Iraqi)military etc.

I am also a Kurd and come from a highly educated, secular and famous family. So your comments were particularly amusing to me.

The only state and people such a Kurdish state would have to fear are Turks... Afterall, haven't you amassed 250,000 troops poised for invasion at their border should they declare independence and don't your politicians consistently threaten them? Iran and Arabs do no such thing. The verbal treatment of Kurds in Turkey by extremists and chauvinists is reminiscent of Serb treatment of Bosnians - always downplaying them, insulting them, their sensibilities and culture.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 13:14
Would you like to know something amusing? The Kurdish Airline of Northern Iraq is called Zagros Airlines - when it lands at Turkey, the Turks don't allow it to be called Zagros because the Zagros are the home range of the Kurds! Just a little name and they won't allow it. Sorry, did you say Kurds were backward?

Hang on, they have an airline! Does that mean they also have pilots? Oh, what the beJesus! So much for a primitive agricultural people...

Edited by Zagros - 11-Feb-2007 at 13:17
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 14:23
Interesting reply. Zagros.

I have no doubt that Northern Iraq is more advanced than the rest of Iraq. And Kurds are more westernized people than Arabs in general. My comparision was especiallly between Kurds and Western Europeans rather than Kurds and other middle eastern socities. I really know the differences between the Kurdish authority of Iraq and other Arabic countries in the middle east in terms of Democracy. Human rights. And Secularism. I know the Kurdish people in Turkey. And since I am interested in Politics I also watch the Kurdish TV's especially Zagros TV. KurdSAT. and ROJ TV. They are also broadcasting in Turkish to inform the Turkish speakers.

I've been saying here for years how much The Turks are backwards compared to Europeans in terms of Industrilization. Democracy. Human rights etc. The replies of the Turkish nationalists are just like yours. Zagros.

And I'd like to point out that I wouldn't say Saudi Arabians are backwards. For instance. Because they are not living in the western values. They have their own system and It's imposible to compare it with anything. But It's obvious that Kurds want to be westernized. Like Turks. And as Turks are heavily criticized by Europeans in terms of Democracy and other western stuff. And many of Turks are familiar with it. Kurds must be criticized like that If they say something like "Secular minded Kurds in Democratic Kurdistan."

So. The honour killings is a Kurdish tradition. Zagros. What Human Rights are we talking about. Let's talk about this.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 14:56
So you know? Then why: "We all know the Kurdish people are very poor agricultural people who live in their feodal conditions." when you know it is not true..?

Honour killings?

The job of the government is to maintain law and order and to prevent such barbarity, something which the Kurdish authority would surely deal with if true.

A Kurdish tradition? I have never even heard of such a thing among Kurds and it is a complete non-issue. Do you have some proof that it is a Kurdish tradition, or is it more hogwash? This is the first time I have ever even heard mention of such a ridiculous thing. I have only heard of fanatic Muslims and Sikhs committing such crimes. Maybe some religious-nut Kurd, Turk, Arab or Persian has done it before, but it most certainly is not a widespread tradition among Kurds or any others and is not officially recognised nor practised by Kurds so enough attempts at denigrating Kurds... Is this a fresh effort since your last slight was comprehensively rebutted?

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 15:07
Honour killings is not a Kurdish tradtion. It occurs in many parts of the world. Stop labeling it as Kurdish.

I do not deny it has occured in our society, but to claim that it is a Kurdish tradtion is ignorant.
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 07:31
Originally posted by Spartakus

Just because the Kurds do not share the same way of social organization,this does not mean that their society is "inferior".In fact,agricultural,pre-industrial societies are usually very complex.
further it has nothing to do with the rights for independence. I don't think Greece, turkey or any Balkans nation started of with high levels of human rights, democracy, industrialization or even modern educational institutions (compared to the west). Ethnic nationalism is what all our (Balkan+) countries were born from, not social advancement.

The push for self determination can easily be started by the very neglect, abuse and underinvestment in any of these areas. Then couple this with them learning beyond (and knowing better than) what they originally considered normal, and you have a real issue.  If many Kurds start to think they are not getting a fair go, they will naturally want and demand more.

Edited by Leonidas - 12-Feb-2007 at 07:35
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 08:50
Originally posted by Zagros

Honour killings?

A Kurdish tradition?

"This comes from our ancestors," said Mehmet Yolac, claiming
Honor killings as a Kurdish tradition as he ironed a pair of pants in his
tailoring shop in the largely Kurdish Istanbul neighbourhood of Esentepe. He added proudly: "We're passionate about our Honor."

I have ever even heard mention of such a ridiculous thing

Nebahat Akkoc, a Kurdish woman who founded the Ka-Mer women's centre
headquartered in Diyarbakir, Turkey's largest Kurdish-majority city, said it
would take time to change attitudes toward Honor killings.

"The laws changed fast here," she said. "The problem is that efforts
to change the mentality have been very insufficient."

http://www.un-instraw.org/revista/hypermail/alltickers/fr/0790.html

The Kurds in Turkey say that It's a Kurdish tradition because they know perfectly well that there's no such problem in this fu.king western part of Turkey. Sure there's nothing special with Kurds. It's a middle-aged. feodal and agricultural tradition appers amongst feodal and agricultural socities.

Guys. Have you ever heard of the tradition called Berdel. Or is it again just a bad joke of our Turkish citizen Kurds.

Leonidas. That's the point I wanted to point out. The Kurds won't start of with high level of human rights. democracy and industrilization either. So for a long time we can't expect Northern Iraq to be a full democractic and liberal Kurdistan in where secular Kurds live.

There're huge social and cultural problems to which Kurds must find a solution. And They will. But It takes time. Democracy doesn't work on a feodal clan system. Guys. This is the ridiculous thing. Mesut Barzani is the leader of the Barzani tribe. What are we talking about? Just look at the history of the Barzanis.

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:15
As I've said:

"I do not deny it has occured in our society, but to claim that it is a Kurdish tradtion is ignorant."

Honour killings exist in other parts of the world. One can not call it our tradition.
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:26
Newroz is a Kurdish tradition. We have our specific clothing, that is our tradition. We have special music.

And so on. That is our tradition and culture.

Honour killings is not in that catagory.

Honour killings have occured in many parts of the world, and they usually exist in agricultural societies.

Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:52
Similar laws occur in many societies, yet that does not make it an integral part of each society's culture. You cannot exclude undesirable elements of a culture if you wish to promote it. All cultures have elements I would consider immoral, and these must be accepted as well as the desirable elements.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:57
Cent. As a universal rule. Middle-aged agricultural traditions are generally awful and must be reformised. The main problem of the Middle east is this anyway. They still live in their middle ages which looks "the hell on earth". 

You can say "Faschist Turks." You might say "Imperialistic evil Turks." But those Turks are actually good at Western-style life. The western part of Turkey even experienced their sexual revolution which is a necassary for Industrilized socities and which is a terribly hard barrier to surprass for muslim-majority socities.

The Kurds in Turkey proudly say It's a Kurdish tradition because they are so nationalistic that they fail to say "Yes. That's a damn agricultural thing we suffer from while Turks don't."

Honor Killings is just one example. There're many other "awful" things about the marriage system. The clan system. And so on. 

Human rights is a hard word to pronounce IMHO. Everyone must face their realities. There's not only "Imperialistic racist Turks ." But also "Middle-aged agricultural Kurds who have no idea about Human rights."
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 13:29
I still believe that honour killings occur in agricultural societies. Yes it occurs in Kurdish socities. But it isn't only a Kurdish phenomena. So one can not call it a Kurdish tradition. It is wide-spread.

Please, let's not continue with this discussion. It is off topic.

Edited by Cent - 12-Feb-2007 at 13:30
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 13:45

Honour killings?

A Kurdish tradition?

"This comes from our ancestors," said Mehmet Yolac, claiming Honor killings as a Kurdish tradition as he ironed a pair of pants in his tailoring shop in the largely Kurdish Istanbul neighbourhood of Esentepe. He added proudly: "We're passionate about our Honor."

I have ever even heard mention of such a ridiculous thing

Nebahat Akkoc, a Kurdish woman who founded the Ka-Mer women's centre headquartered in Diyarbakir, Turkey's largest Kurdish-majority city, said it would take time to change attitudes toward Honor killings.

"The laws changed fast here," she said. "The problem is that efforts to change the mentality have been very insufficient."

http://www.un-instraw.org/revista/hypermail/alltickers/fr/0790.html

The Kurds in Turkey say that It's a Kurdish tradition because they know perfectly well that there's no such problem in this fu.king western part ofTurkey. Sure there's nothing special with Kurds. It's amiddle-aged.feodal andagricultural tradition appers amongst feodal and agriculturalsocities.

Guys. Have you ever heard of the tradition called Berdel. Or is it again just a bad joke of our Turkish citizen Kurds.

Leonidas. That's the point I wanted to point out. The Kurds won't start of with high level of human rights. democracy and industrilization either. So for a long time we can't expect Northern Iraq to be a full democractic and liberal Kurdistan in where secular Kurds live.

There're huge social and cultural problems to which Kurds must find a solution. And They will. But It takes time. Democracy doesn't work ona feodal clan system. Guys. This is the ridiculous thing.Mesut Barzani is the leader of the Barzani tribe. What are we talking about? Just look at the history of the Barzanis.

These honour killings must be something specific to Kurds who used to be in the Ottoman sphere because I have never heard of it among Iranian Kurds, nevermind it being a tradition. There was a case a few years ago where a religious nut from central Iran decapitated his daughter after she was raped by her uncle (he was tried and hanged btw), so it is a phenomenon among religious ISlamic fanatics, in actual fact.

Just because some deluded nut says it is a Kurdish tradition it doesn't mean that it is. I have seen a picture of Turkish soldiers who had decapitated Kurds and were proudly holding theirheads up for the picture, I have also seen a video of a Kurd being violently beaten by Turkish members of public for political reasons. Can we call these things Turkish traditions? I am sure those thugs would and the Gray Wolves would condone it, since they like to kill and threaten people for voicing views and opinions.

Now, that was a nice digression from the real issue here, hidden face, can we get back to the real political issues of this thread?

Thanks.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:07

The honour killings is a Kurdish tradition.

I highly doubt that. It's related to religion, not culture.

It's more popular among Kurds rather than Turks, you're right, but it is because of their social status, not ethnicity.

AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by Feanor

It's more popular among Kurds rather than Turks, you're right, but it is because of their social status, not ethnicity.

How is it religious?  Theres nothing in Islam which says you should murder your daughter who has been raped by her uncle, or abused by her brother or even sexually assaulted by a stranger.  Its not a religious tradition.  Im not saying this to stick up for islam, i dont even believe in religion.

Honour killings are rare in Arab countries as far as i know, most honour killings take place among communities where the people originate from SE Turkey, through Iran, into Pakistan and Afghanistan and up to India.  I dont have statistics but if you look at news reports of such murders then they will for the majority of times take place either there or in communities where they originate from this region. 
Maybe its an old Indo Iranian tradition? 

Edited by AyKurt - 12-Feb-2007 at 14:43
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:06

I agree with Cent in this Issue,If the Kurds want to gain independence then they should get it,cause they are the biggest nation without a country.

but there is a problem maybe it is just for me I don't know,I think the Kurds have not a capable leader can lead them safely without crisis.
maybe Talabani but his past with Saddam make me sick.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:15

Honour Killing is not a Kurdish tradition, it exists in other societies.

However, Honour killing, Blood Feuds, tribal laws are all being mixed up, blood feuds exists in most socities from the Mediterranean to the depths of Asia. Basically they are like family fueds, somebody kills or rapes somebody in their family, the family take personal revenge a blood feud begins.

What is being discussed above is, tribal codes and laws. These are very complex to understand, using some articles written by people who can't even distinguish between honour, tribal, clandestine codes really shouldn't be taken seriously.

There is a problem with land ownership, powerfull land owners/barons "Aghas". Then there are tribal and clandestine codes and rules, if broken the punishment can be severe. Kurdish clans have their "Tore", Turkish clans although there are not as many anymore in Turkey also have theri own "Tore".

It has nothing to do with religion, these are old laws and codes. There is secrecy in this system, those involved cannot escape, it can be very tough but also some can be sucessfull.

However, I would say that a major issue of Kurds is the power of the tribal system. 99% of Kurds land is owned by 1 or maybe less than 1% of Kurds, there is a very wealthy Kurdish elite but the masses don't have a share in this wealth and power.

This is a policy in which I feel AtaTurk was very sucessfull, when the Turkish republic was formed there was a very similar situation. However, villagers were given importance, there was a land reform and the Agha's power's were restricted while the people's rights and power was enforced. The masses benefitted from this as they were not at the mercy of the Agha, AghaKhan or Bey's laws, there was now state law and everybody was an equal under it.

Edited by Bulldog - 12-Feb-2007 at 15:17
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:18
Honor killing or Vedetta exists or used to exist generally in all the islands across the Mediterranean.In Hellas,the Cretan Vedetta is very well known.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:32
IMO, everyone should be FREE AND INDEPENDENT! So, why not the Kurds? They are no different than any other human beings on the Earth!

Edited by morticia - 12-Feb-2007 at 15:33
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>