Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hawaiian population

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawaiian population
    Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 19:27
Hi. Interested about this culture i was searching without success stimations of population island by island (for all the islands there are stimations from 200 thousand to 1 million), at the time of the european arrival around...1800

Any idea?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 22:15
Originally posted by Ikki

Hi. Interested about this culture i was searching without success stimations of population island by island (for all the islands there are stimations from 200 thousand to 1 million), at the time of the european arrival around...1800

Any idea?

I have no idea, but my guess is you are very far out from the actual number that certainly was a lot smaller.

I don't know about Hawaii, but I am Chilean, so I know a lot about Easter Island, the one of the Moais, which is also Polynesian, like Hawaii or New Zealand. Well, Easters were never more than 4.000 people at its peak!!!!
Even today, the total population of the island is still 4.000 people!!!

And with that man force they were able to build those huge monuments and civil works.

The Polynesian population was unbelievable small in almost any island.

The population was limited by the size of the islands, the methods of agriculture and fishing. Those islands didn't support much people at all, and that's why they migrated.

Penguin
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 19:16
Hi Pingin. I think too that 1 million is very very far excesive. I have find in the book of Jared Diamond an stimation of 30.000 for the island of Hawaii, althought he stablish the population of Pascua in 7.000 inhabitants and 40.000 for Tonga islands. According with the examples that i have in my islands (with aren't very accurate, all must be said), i think that those dates aren't excesives.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 20:54
I think you are right. Those numbers seem accurate. The case of Easter Island is particular. They suffered an ecological cathastrophe.

Of all people that suffered colonization, and even counting all the abuses that Easter suffered that were many, I think that's the only case where a foreign people help the natives to survive. Easter Island is still today a dissaster. Many species of animals and plants become extinct, and some have been recovered because they were cultivated in the mainland (like the toromiro tree) So, theirs population was necesarily smaller than what a healthy island (like the ones of Hawaii) that size could stand.

Curiously, even today Easter Island depends almost absolutely of the mainland for provisions and support.

Pinguin

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 09:47
Pascua had only 163 KM2!! I thought that was more great, but with that area, i think that is impossible populations over 5000. Do you know the agricultural techniques of this people?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2007 at 13:51

Pascua had only 163 KM2!! I thought that was more great, but with that area, i think that is impossible populations over 5000. Do you know the agricultural techniques of this people?

Well, in Easter Island it was found certain agricultural practices where they seed plants on the ground under rocks. They have a burn and seed agritulture, though.

Some plants Polynesians carried from other islands are coconuts, babanas and the breadfruit tree. Polynesians carried chickens and pigs as well. I am not certain Easter had coconuts, bananas or pigs though, although they always had the breadfruit tree and chickens. Easter also had birds' eggs available.

After they got rid of the last Easter palm tree, they had no way to go high seas for fishing, but they could recover lot of food just from the coast.

There was a lot of hunger in Easter Island in the time of decline, though. If you see a carved statue called the Toromiro, it is a portrait of a person dieying by hunger.

The names of Easter are many. In Spanish is "Pascua" that means "Easter". In Polynesian is "Rapa Nui" that means small "Rapa" from an island in the Marquesas, that is probably a name given post contact. The traditional name though is "Te Pito O te Henua" that means "the navel of the world".

Regards,

Omar

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 21:11
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, in Easter Island it was found certain agricultural practices where they seed plants on the ground under rocks. They have a burn and seed agritulture, though.

Some plants Polynesians carried from other islands are coconuts, babanas and the breadfruit tree. Polynesians carried chickens and pigs as well. I am not certain Easter had coconuts, bananas or pigs though, although they always had the breadfruit tree and chickens. Easter also had birds' eggs available.

After they got rid of the last Easter palm tree, they had no way to go high seas for fishing, but they could recover lot of food just from the coast.

There was a lot of hunger in Easter Island in the time of decline, though. If you see a carved statue called the Toromiro, it is a portrait of a person dieying by hunger.

The names of Easter are many. In Spanish is "Pascua" that means "Easter". In Polynesian is "Rapa Nui" that means small "Rapa" from an island in the Marquesas, that is probably a name given post contact. The traditional name though is "Te Pito O te Henua" that means "the navel of the world".

Regards,

Omar

Thanks very much for the info Pinguin Thumbs Up Now i can't search for more dettails about the agriculture but in a short view, any of those products look good for massive supply, right?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 21:50
Yes, but you have to see how Easter Island look today to realize there was an ecological cathastrophe there. The fact is there was a period were there was not enough food, and canibalism was widespread.

When the Europeans arrived there they didn't find the happy-life picture of the Hawaians or other Polynesians. They found a people living in very bad conditions and that's why the foreigners didn't believe the natives build the moais.

One of the most precious things that become extinguished was the Easter palm tree. The closest relative to that tree is the Chilean palm tree. Both were non-tropical palm trees that has anything to do with the palm you see in the tropics. These palms also produce syrup and small cocunuts that complement diet.

The chilean palm tree still survives, barely. Today is under protection with special programs, but there are so few of them still. Perhaps one day someone decide to replant Easter with those trees. Take a look, this is how the Chilean palm tree looks, which is almost the same the extinct Easter tree looked like. Is a quite tall tree that does not look very much like a palm.

Penguin

chessrook1 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 08:07
Their population supposedly increased greatly in the last century even though many diseases brought by the Europeans devastated their population in the 19th century. However, many of those modern Native Hawaiians, from what Ive read about them and seen TV documentaries, are more than half mixed with immigrants and other commonwealth and American citizens since the early 1900s. Such as Portuguese and Japanese immigrants, Filipino and Puerto Rican commonwealth citizens who all immigrated there to work as plantation workers and ranchers, and the Anglo-Celtic American colonists from the mainland. The real Hawaiians are supposed to be dark complexioned with long nose and they along with other Polynesians are supposed to be tall. I met a real Hawaiian in San Diego before so I know.
Real Hawaiians
http://66.70.135.159/

Edited by chessrook1 - 14-Jan-2007 at 23:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 08:22

Edited by pinguin - 14-Jan-2007 at 08:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 08:25
Well, the "real hawaiians" do exist. The "real" polynesians look very much like the Moaries of New Zealand of today. In Easter Island is the same that in Hawaii. Most natives these days are very mixed with continental chileans and also with european adventurers. However, you can still see quite clear the Polynesian phenotype in many people. They look like South East Asians, because the original polynesians came from there.

Now, for dark complexions, one must realize that peoples of the pacific could be clasiffied in Melanesians (dark skinned) and Polynesians (light browns).
The original peoples of Hawaii, Easter Island and New Zealand were Polynesians and not Melanesians.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 14-Jan-2007 at 08:25
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 11:25
Interesting thread.

I heard from a soldier (Canadian) once who went on leave in Hawai'i that the local native population is still very poorly treated and segregated.  He said he wanted to go over and talk to some of them and all the Americans said "no! no ! you'll get beat up!!" but that when he went over they were just friendly to him.

Has anyone been there?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 12:56

That's quite interesting.

In my country, Polynesians of Easter are a people we love very much. Perhaps because they are so few people (2.000) and they live so far away from the "conti" (continent), more than 3.000 kms in fact, that Chileans in general consider them our favority "foreign" group.

Pinguin

Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 23:31
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Interesting thread.

I heard from a soldier (Canadian) once who went on leave in Hawai'i that the local native population is still very poorly treated and segregated.  He said he wanted to go over and talk to some of them and all the Americans said "no! no ! you'll get beat up!!" but that when he went over they were just friendly to him.

Has anyone been there?

When exactly did your friend went to Hawaii? Hawaiians are fully integrated into American society now. My Hawaiian friend's family, who are actually living in California, comes from a wealthy family in California like my dad's family in Illinois. Actually I know him when I went to Marine Corps bootcamp with him in MCRD San Diego. I know that Hawaii had a senator who was Half native Hawaiian half Chinese, another governor who is full Japanese American, and a state governor who is full Filipino American.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_J._Cayetano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Akaka
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Inouye
Since it's a small state it's a pretty diverse state because of all the influx of Filipino, Japanese, Portuguese, Puerto Rican, Anglo-Celtic Americans, and other Asian immigrants they get over there since the early 1900's.

Edited by chessrook1 - 14-Jan-2007 at 23:41
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 23:59
It was only a few years ago, fairly recent, and it's not a friend, just a hitchhiking soldier I picked up ;)  OK, he seemed pretty honest and straightforward though.

I've never been there, I don't know much about it.. although it does happen that segregated groups still have examples who are integrated/successful, I guess we would have to hear from someone who lives there and is honest about what it is like.
Janissary
Janissary

Quote chessrook1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 01:33
I can believe him if he was an old man that was there in the early 1900s. From what Ive read about, Hawaiians use to be looked down on as children by the Anglo-Celtic Americans back in those days and pre-WW2 white US servicemen stationed there who were from the mid-west and southern states didnt like the native Hawaiians intermingling with the white American women. But I dont think that kind of racist stuff would happen recently. Hawaii is supposed to be a pretty diverse state.

*edit: However, I'm thinking that if this was a long time ago, maybe the Americans were trying to warn him not to go near them because the Hawaiians they were seeing might be lepers. Hawaii use to have a large leper colony in one of their islands (which can now be treated). This poor Belgian priest became infected with lepersy for helping the Native Hawaiians and others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Damien
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalawao_County,_Hawaii

Edited by chessrook1 - 15-Jan-2007 at 04:47
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 08:54
Heh heh this was in like 1999 I think, not 1899.

A place can be diverse and still racist.  Look at Canada, it's "multicultural" but people still hate native people and keep them segregated and hungry in reservations..

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 22:03

Heh heh this was in like 1999 I think, not 1899.

A place can be diverse and still racist.  Look at Canada, it's "multicultural" but people still hate native people and keep them segregated and hungry in reservations..

Canada is particularly racist against Native Americans! Shamefully racist because is cynical at the same time.

That's something that I saw personally, and affected me.
However, I am Latino and therefore I have a strong personality, and I say what I mean, so "whites" respected me. But it was sad to see how many humilliations suffered some people so close to us in blood, or at least in spirit.

Pinguin
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 10:40

Has anyone been there?

I spent some time on Maui and shopped in non tourist stores, ate at non tourist restaraunts and drank in non tourist bars.   I did not experience any hostility as a white American.  In contrast, in the place where I was most likley to experience it (a native patronized bar asking about the upcoming  the Tua- Lewis boxing match),  I was openly welcomed by the Hawaiian owner.

Bored,  off duty soldiers  / marines of all races have a reputation for loud,  rowdy behavior and can bring some trouble on themselves.  I would not be surprised if local Hawaian men (also bored)  have had problems with  servicemen and thus your friend was advised by wary U.S. Service men to stay away from them.  

Edited by Cryptic - 13-Feb-2007 at 10:52
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 11:56
OK, that's interesting, thanks for replying.
 Post Reply Post Reply