Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Dine Bahane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dine Bahane
    Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 16:53
I recently read the Navajo creation story (The Dine Bahane) and found it intensely entertaining (especially if you're into that sort of creation story sort of thing).

The Iroquois story of creation is also very interesting.

Anyone else read any good ones? 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 17:44
I know the Mapuche creation history. The fight between the good serpert of the land, Tren-Tren, against the evil serpert of the sea, Cai-Cai, in a fight of cosmic proportions that created the world.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 02-Jun-2007 at 17:45
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 08:29
From their myth of creation, can we trace the origin of the native
leung
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 15:58
It is curious but the myths of the Native Americans look like they share something in common with the Siberian and North East Asian myths. Just speculation, though.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 17:37
What do you mean? 

The only thing that I could connect was the presence of the flood motif in the Dine Bahane, but other than that I couldn't really find any similarities.

Any examples?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 17:50

Hard question. I don't have any hard evidence, otherwise I would have written a paper and I would be famous by now :)

However, there are certain similaties between East Asian cultures and Native American that are amazing. For instance, the use of the dragon in China and the underground monster of Japan are sort of related with the cult to Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent, and also with the Mapuche myth of the creation of the giant serpents of the land and the sea. The ritual of the killing of the bear of the siberians has parallels with the killing of the jaguar in South America. Besides, the cosmological ideas of Amerindians in general are similar to the ones of Asia. That's without forgetting that both peoples has a genetical link, and that cultural patterns like the shaman drums and the teepees are found at Siberian and in the Americas.

Certain schollars of the ancient myths have claim certain relationship. In North America in particular that could be just an Inuit influence in local Amerindians but... Who knows?

Perhaps there is a cultural share patrimony, deep inside the imaginary of both people that someone has to study. So far I haven't found a serious research in that area.

Pinguin

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 10:34
Originally posted by pinguin

However, there are certain similaties between East Asian cultures and Native American that are amazing.  

Perhaps there is a cultural share patrimony, deep inside the imaginary of both people that someone has to study.

I think that common bond is that both cultures origianted in Shamanistic traditions.   Most of the Chinese and Japanese animal / dragon myths are probably derived from Taoism and Shintoism.  Both these religions originated from Shamanism and retain Shamanistic influences today.

A similar bond can probably be found by studying folk beliefs amongst widely seperated  Moslems in Malaysia and  rural Europeans (and many newe world mestizos).  Both peoples are Abrahamic and thus both sets of folklore are going to have  Abrahamic influences regarding right verse wrong, punishment etc.   

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Jun-2007 at 10:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 18:55
The question is... Does shamanism crossed the strait of Bering? Is there a common heritage shared by East Asians and Amerindians?

That I would like to know
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 23:05

The question is... Does shamanism crossed the strait of Bering? Is there a common heritage shared by East Asians and Amerindians?

Common Heritage maybe to strong a term.  Common influence (Shamanism) is more accurate.  Eastern religions lke Buddhism are far more flexible than Abrahamic religons.  This allowed indigenous Asian religions like Taoism and Shintoism to preserve their ancient Shamanistic roots and to develop along side Buddhism.   Both Taoism and Shintoism exist today.

This is contrast to absolute Abrahamic religions like Christianity and Islam which destroyed earlier shamanistic religions.  No Shamanistic religions survived Christianity in Europe or Islam in the Middle East.   Because Buddhism preserved these same traditions in China and Japan under the form of Shintoism and Taoism, Chinese and Japanese folk beliefs have some of the characteristics of Amerindian Shamanistic beliefs.

Another example is the Shamanstic Bon religion of Tibet.  Buddhist authorities allowed it to be practiced.   Meanwhile in nearby Kirghizistan, Abrahamic Islam eventually wiped out  the Shamansitic traditions.   Thus Tibetan folklore probably shares some characteristics with Amerindian beliefs.  

Edited by Cryptic - 07-Jun-2007 at 23:10
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 00:24
Well, I meaned something deeper.

If Amerindians and East Asians share some cultural patterns, perhaps is because they have a COMMON heritage.

Now, if we study it enough, perhaps it is possible to get an idea of what were the set of believes men have WHEN CROSSING the strait of Bering.

Yes, some cultural patterns crossed the Strait of Bering. The dart thrower and the arc and arrow seem to have crossed with man. Why not some shamanism?

Now, the problem is to find which particular shamanism have both continents in common.

Pinguin

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2007 at 09:14

Now, if we study it enough, perhaps it is possible to get an idea of what were the set of believes men have WHEN CROSSING the strait of Bering.

Now, the problem is to find which particular shamanism have both continents in common.

The first point is going to be impossible.   There have been several attempts (both pretty scholarly and fantasy) to reconstruct European pagan religions.   These attempts have benefited from written accounts and a good archaeological record.  None have been succesfull.  We still know very little of actual Celtic Druidic or Norse belief.

For the secnd point,  think they are going to have alot in common.  "Global Shamanism" seems to be pretty similar in much the same way that "Global Abrahamism" is.   

Edited by Cryptic - 08-Jun-2007 at 09:15
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 11:52
Do you have the papers that have studied the coincidences between East Asian shamanism and Amerindian? If so, please let me know the refferencies. I am very interested in see them

Pinguin

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 12:37

At least, Innuit tribe lives on the both sides of Bering tribes. Their Shamanism is very similar to the shamanism of Chukchi-Kamchatkan people in East Asia.

I'm not sure, however about the similarities between Innuit shamanism and shamanistic practices of Ameircan Indians.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 09-Jun-2007 at 12:42
Σαυρομάτης
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 15:41

Do you have the papers that have studied the coincidences between East Asian shamanism and Amerindian? If so, please let me know the refferencies. I am very interested in see them

Here's something from wiki.  It cites numerous sources which you can see at the bottom of the page.

Certain relatedness, but far from homogeneity
  Main article: Eskimo#Certain relatedness of Eskimo cultures, far from
  homogeneity

Another possible concern: do the belief systems of various Eskimo groups have such common features at all, that would justify any mentioning them together?  There was no political structure above the groups, their languages were relative, but differed more or less, often forming language continuums (online [44]). There was a certain relatedness in the culture of the Eskimo groups.[18][45][46] But this relatedness allowed great diversity, far from homogeneity.[18]

Although a large distance separated the Asiatic Eskimos and Greenland Eskimos, some groups had certain similarities in their shamanistic seances.[41] Similar remarks apply for comparisons of Asiatic with North American Eskimo shamanisms[12]. Also the usage of a specific shaman's language is documented at several Eskimo groups [29] [18], including Asian ones ([41], p. 128 of [42]).  Similar remarks apply for aspects of the belief system not directly linked to shamanism: tattooing (online English [47]); accepting the killed game as a dear guest visiting the hunter (p. 218 [42]); usage of amulets (p. 380 of [42]); lack of totem animals (online Russian [48]; paper [49]).

Notes:

12.  ^ a b c Piers Vitebsky, The Shaman: Voyages of the Soul - Trance, Ecstasy and Healing from Siberia to the Amazon, Duncan Baird, 2001. ISBN 1-903296-18-8

18.  ^ a b c d e f g h i j k Kleivan, I. and Sonne, B.: Eskimos / Greenland and Canada. (Series: Iconography of religions, section VIII /Artic Peoples/, fascicle 2). Institute of Religious Iconography State University Groningen. E.J. Brill, Leiden (The Netherland), 1985. ISBN 90 04 07160 1.

29.  ^ a b c d e f g h Merkur, Daniel: Becoming Half Hidden / Shamanism and Initiation among the Inuit. (Series: Acta Universitatis Stockholmiensis / Stockholm Studies in Comparative Religion). Almqvist & Wiksell, Stockholm, 1985.

41.  ^ a b c d Menovčikov, G.A. (the same author as Г.А. Меновщиков, but transliterated): Popular Conceptions, Religious Beliefs and Rites of the Asiatic Eskimoes. Translated to English and published in edition by Diszegi, Vilmos and Hoppl, Mihly: Folk Beliefs and Shamanistic Traditions in Siberia. Akadmiai Kiad, Budapest, 1968, 1996.

42.  ^ a b c d Rubcova, E.S.: Materials on the Language and Folklore of the Eskimoes, Vol. I, Chaplino Dialect. Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Moscow Leningrad, 1954. Original data: Е.С. Рубцова: Материалы по языку и фольклору эскимосов (чаплинский диалект). Академия Наук СССР. Москва Ленинград, 1954.

Link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism

There's a lot more that I didn't include.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 16:00
Yes, but that show the relation between Inuit peoples, that entered very late to the Americas, circa the 1st century A.D.
What about the common shamanic roots that exist between the culture of China and the civilizations of the Americas?

Pinguin

TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2007 at 16:07
Originally posted by Cryptic

This is contrast to absolute Abrahamic religions like Christianity and Islam which destroyed earlier shamanistic religions.  No Shamanistic religions survived Christianity in Europe or Islam in the Middle East.

Areal variations

Europe

While shamanism had a strong tradition in Europe before the rise of monotheism, shamanism remains as a traditional, organized religion in Uralic , Altaic people and Huns; and also in Mari-El and Udmurtia, two semi-autonomous provinces of Russia with large Finno-Ugric minority populations. It was widespread in Europe during the Stone Age[citation needed], and continued to be practiced throughout the Iron Age by the various Teutonic tribes and the Fino-Baltic peoples.[39]

See also Sami shamanism, Huns , Finnish mythology , Tengri and the appropriate parts of Shamanism in Siberia.

Notes:

39.  ^ A. Asbjorn Jon, Shamanism and the Image of the Teutonic Deity, inn

Link:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism#Europe

Are these Finno-Ugric people?  The pic above is from:

http://www.gov.karelia.ru/News/2001/0606_10_e.html

Another example is the Shamanstic Bon religion of Tibet.  Buddhist authorities allowed it to be practiced.   Meanwhile in nearby Kirghizistan, Abrahamic Islam eventually wiped out  the Shamansitic traditions.   Thus Tibetan folklore probably shares some characteristics with Amerindian beliefs.  

I dunno, but I'd say that at a very basic level, all shamanistic traditions share something in common, e.g. things concerning fire, floods (due to earth quakes, volcanic explosions, landslides, etc.), dragons, etc.

A recent National Geographic documentary (or maybe Discovery Channel or History Channel, I can't recall for certain...), suggested the dragon was something which was fundamentally universal in the sense that all peoples throughout the entire world from Asia to Europe to the Americas believed in them.  Though for the life of me, I can't recall if they even mentioned Africa at all.  For me, it is a distinct possibility that the dragon is fundamentally universal, but I can also think that it may have spread throughout the world simply by human migration throughout the aeons.

The dragon first appeared in the Mideast, which is a natural spreading point to Europe and India.  India of course heavily influenced Chinese civilisation.  The inuit also may have brought it to the America, Bering Strait land bridge or no.  (Remember, there were three separate--pre-Viking, pre-Columbian--human migrations into the Americas.)

--------------------
Apparently, Africa does have dragon myths too:

http://www.polenth.com/myth/africa.html

But this is inline with what I said above in the second scenario, namely the dragon myth started in the Mideast (or was first written down there), and spread to India, Europe, Africa; from India it when to China, etc., etc.
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 10:14
Originally posted by TranHungDao

No Shamanistic religions survived Christianity in Europe or Islam in the Middle East.

[quote]
, shamanism remains as a traditional, organized religion in Uralic , Altaic people and Huns; and also in Mari-El and Udmurtia, two semi-autonomous provinces of Russia with large Finno-Ugric minority populations.

The over all practice of shamism in those areas does not appear to be that high.  This source lists the Udmurs as being Christianized by the 19th century.   The other source lists registered Udmur neo pagans as being .003% of the population.  The term Neo implies a pevious break with many Shamanistic practices.   The same source does state, however, that many rural Udmurs maintain pre christian traditions.  

The difficulty, however is determing how many Udmurs actually practice Shamanism as a full religion, verse how many Udmurs maintain (to varying degrees), shaminsitic based tribal cultural traditions but are in fact religously Christians.   U.S. Amerindian tribes have this same mix.   The recent arrival of Evangelical Christianity will probably further reduce traditional cultural practices with religous overtones.

Edited by Cryptic - 10-Jun-2007 at 10:21
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 11:38

The difficulty, however is determing how many Udmurs actually practice Shamanism as a full religion, verse how many Udmurs maintain (to varying degrees), shaminsitic based tribal cultural traditions but are in fact religously Christians.   U.S. Amerindian tribes have this same mix.   The recent arrival of Evangelical Christianity will probably further reduce traditional cultural practices with religous overtones.

Yes, syncretism is common. The classical example is the Virgin of Guadaloupe or the cult to the Santa Muerte in Mexico (Saint Death).

In South America, in particular, can be seen quite clearly. However, in regions like the Amazon and in Southern South America, the cosmological belives of Native Americans have been preserved intact. Native languages of those regions are still in use as well, and they have little influences from European tongues. That allow researchers to get a clear picture of the original believes of the Americas. And actually, archaeology (for example Chavin), historical records and chronicles, and the study of modern population show a very clear picture of the ideas, medicine, theology and cosmology of the original Amerindian peoples.

Pinguin

Lord Ranulf View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Lord Ranulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 14:01
The original creation story is not unlike that of their near kinsman the Apache. And there are innumberable links and fine sites available if one is interested.

But the best one of all is,  unfortunately one you must buy or get thru your library as these individual vloumes can be quite expensive, ntl it's a great read.

also the following:

Edited by Lord Ranulf - 10-Jun-2007 at 14:05
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2007 at 08:51

Yes, syncretism is common.

In South America, in particular, can be seen quite clearly. However, in regions like the Amazon and in Southern South America, the cosmological belives of Native Americans have been preserved intact.  

I have tried to find relaible inforamtion on what percentage of North American Indians practice shamanism as a full religion.  So far, I have not been able to find relaibe information.  My guess is that the overall percentage of indigenous believers (not just cultural participants) is low, but is highest on the Navajo Reservation.  Reservations on the Northeren Planes also  have numbers of full believers as well.   

Actual  full Shaministic believers appear to be very shy.  Many in the USA who claim to be full shamnistic believers are political activists whose claimed religous practices (and sometimes Indian lineage) are of questionable authenticity.  All the Amerindians that I have personally known have been either practicing Catholics or strong Evangelical Christians.  

Edited by Cryptic - 11-Jun-2007 at 09:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>