Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does Greek sound like to a non speak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Greek sound like to a non speak
    Posted: 16-May-2005 at 14:25
aj sikter is an insult in Albanian too!
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 14:18
Originally posted by Kenaney

I know malaka is Greek but we say also "olm sen salakmisin malakmi?"

So they are Turkish words in Greek and Greek words in Turkish, but lol first time i hear the word "ha siktir" they use in Greece    

"ai siktir" is one of the most common insults in Greece. Especially if you are a driver you will hear of it from other drivers hundrends of time.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 14:11
come on that was an overstatement i just meant Greeks, Macedonians(who are slavs... close to Serbs and croats ) and of course some Albanians. Not sure if Bulgarians do although i doubt it.  What we can't be left out of the argument now... group participation!!
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 14:11

I know malaka is Greek but we say also "olm sen salakmisin malakmi?"

So they are Turkish words in Greek and Greek words in Turkish, but lol first time i hear the word "ha siktir" they use in Greece    

OUT OF LIMIT
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 14:02

Originally posted by vulkan02

doesn't everyone in the Balkans claim that

Really?? Have you heard Serbs claiming Alexander was Serbian? or Croats claiming the same?? Man, you really have lost contact with reality.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 14:00
 doesn't everyone in the Balkans claim that
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 13:55

Originally posted by vulkan02

anciet Greek sounds like Albanian today... many old people used to say that where i used to live.

Many people also where you used to live, claim also Alexander was an Albanian so the guiberish that ancient greek sounds like...ehm Albanian doesnt impress anyone anymore.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 13:44
Originally posted by Molossos

I recall my father telling me that my great grandmother used to say to people who were idle: "Don't sit there like a bimbashi". I looked the word up and I found out that it was an Ottoman military rank. Today it is used to describe a major.

Dont sit like a binbashi? That's interesting, binbashi means "the head/chief of a thousand (men/soldiers)" in Turkic militaries. But I have never heard of it being used as kind of a teasing word.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 13:24
anciet Greek sounds like Albanian today... many old people used to say that where i used to live.
Molossos View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Molossos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 04:16

Actually, there used to be many Turkish words in every day vocabulary of Greeks in the 19th century, right after the liberation from the Ottomans and the founding of our state. There were many Italian ones as well, especially many naval or military terms. The standardization process of the language omitted many of them, since the hellenistike koine which had survived as the language of the Church (and is still in use) and its later product, the katharevousa, were chosen to replace common words of Turkish or other foreign root.

Makriyannis, the well known Greek warlord who wrote the memoirs of his experiences throughout his adventurous life, recorded many words in his text that are usually not understood by modern Greeks.

Such words are: "hapsi" (Turkish for prison), "yemeklikia" (Turkish for food supplies), "disbarko" (Italian for landing), "tebihi" (Arabic for warning), "jebhanes" (Turkish for ammo), "sunditos" (Italian for national citizen), "contrato" (Italian for contract), "morosa" (Italian for lover, girlfriend), "gidi" (Turkish for pimp ) and many others.

I recall my father telling me that my great grandmother used to say to people who were idle: "Don't sit there like a bimbashi". I looked the word up and I found out that it was an Ottoman military rank. Today it is used to describe a major.

birdwatcher3000 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote birdwatcher3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 03:20
Originally posted by ak?P>Ai siktir?

Do people really use that in greece?

[/QUOTE

My mother all the time(!)

My mother all the time(!)

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Apr-2005 at 23:04
All I wanted to know is what does Greek sound like to non-Greek and not start an argument.

I know what it sounds to me but I was curious what others thought. I will never forget the arguments between my mother and her sisters, in Greek, on the phone. And, the Greek American neighbor who use to sob on my late mother's shoulder in Greek.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2005 at 07:18
No. I think the arguements are all unnecessary and funny. And ok, I dont wanna be a problem maker. Please continiue on topic...
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 16:18
Why did you need to tease us? Akinci only thought the word can be a common word in both Turkish and Greek (he didnt even say that the word was derived from an original Turkish word) and I told him that the two words had nothing to do with each other. I didnt even claim that the word was a common word or originally was Turkish. So what's the problem?

Lighten up!!!!
Don't take everything so seriously, there is nothing wrong nor insulting in what I posted, stop being so overprotective and try to have some fun from time to time. Does it really have to be all about arguments all the time????
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 13:50

Originally posted by Phallanx

I was actually teasing Akyncy and Oguz for the whole "mal" mix up they seem to have. It wasn't any kind of reference to the Hellinic language.

Why did you need to tease us? Akinci only thought the word can be a common word in both Turkish and Greek (he didnt even say that the word was derived from an original Turkish word) and I told him that the two words had nothing to do with each other. I didnt even claim that the word was a common word or originally was Turkish. So what's the problem?

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2005 at 10:15
The word malaka,comes from the Hellenic word malakia,which means disease.So malaka is the person who is sick.That's the proper meaning of the word.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2005 at 09:24

I would like to but it takes time to learn another lingo

I was actually teasing Akyncy and Oguz for the whole "mal" mix up they seem to have. It wasn't any kind of reference to the Hellinic language.

Way to go

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 23:28
If our mother had taken the time I would been speaking Greek and probably Spanish but I suppose she didn't see the point in teaching us Greek in an English speaking world. I had one Spanish teacher, an Anglo, who really taught us how to speak Spanish. I hope I have a Greek instructor that good. I wish we had more Greeks here. This area is far more beautiful than Chicago or Boston.
Other than my native language if I could speak two languages it would be; Greek and Spanish, German third!!!

Downtown Spokane at dusk!!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 20:23
I would like to but it takes time to learn another lingo

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2005 at 19:46

So what's up, do or don't you know the language??

I would like to but it takes time to learn another lingo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>