Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

State vs. Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: State vs. Market
    Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 15:10
Just read the Wikipedia entry on his main book and he doesn't seem to say what you say he says.

As far as I can understand from this article, I could surely agree with this Kennedy in most of what he says. Yet I can't agree with your interpretation of it - which is something totally different. So, then, why don't you quit hiding behind others' name and start reasoning your position on your own words and with your own logic?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 13:10

Originally posted by Maju

whose name I never heard before, btw

look at this link

http://www.yale.edu/aya/bios/kennedy.html

or this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Kennedy

or this one

http://www.yale.edu/history/faculty/kennedy.html

Edited by ataman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 12:42
Originally posted by ataman

Russia was definitively the "third world of Europe" at that time: a country that exported cheap agricultural products such as grain in exchange for little.

Paul Kennedy in his 'The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers' claimed that what made every country (including GB) wealthy was agriculture. It was at least until 1850.

Allow me to doubt such affirmation.

Maju, allow me to believe more professor Kennedy than you

Sure. That's your choice.

Instead I prefer to put my money in arguments and reasons rather than titles. So which are the reasons of your professor (whose name I never heard before, btw)?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 10:51

I advocate market with state intervention

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:46

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Just consider all their defeats after 1815 even by weaker countries (Ottoman) and on their own soil (Crimea war).

Crimean war was lost by Russia, but Russia had to fight against the coalition of 4 countries and because the place of this war (by the sea) favoured armies of the coalition.

Edited by ataman
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:36

Russia was definitively the "third world of Europe" at that time: a country that exported cheap agricultural products such as grain in exchange for little.

Paul Kennedy in his 'The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers' claimed that what made every country (including GB) wealthy was agriculture. It was at least until 1850.

Allow me to doubt such affirmation.

Maju, allow me to believe more professor Kennedy than you

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:32

And few more datas from Kennedy's book.

GNP of countries in 19th c. (bln dollars)

in 1830: Russia 10.5; GB 8.2; France 8.5

in 1840: Russia 11.2; GB 10.4; France 10.3

in 1850: Russia 12.7; GB 12.5; France 11.8

in 1860: Russia 14.4; GB 16.0; France 13.3

in 1870: Russia 22.9; GB 19.6; France 16.8

in 1880: Russia 23.2; GB 23.5; France 17.3

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:21

Maju:

Did my long post above on the topic clarify anything?  I hope it addressed how it seems to me (and also Maharbbal who started the thread) that the market interacted with interest groups to affect state formation.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:14

I would have to disagree with that.  Back in this thread, we discussed Spain and the Dutch and Sweden.  All those powers made wealth out of some control of trade, and none of them could feed themselves, let alone make wealth from selling agricultural produce.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 09:00

Allow me to doubt such affirmation. That economic theory was called Mercantilism and was what got France is real economic trouble leading to the French Revolution. I don't say that agriculture is irrelevant, just that no country has become rich selling tomatoes: one needs rather to sell trinkets or any other useless "plastic product" at a good price in exchange for the essential but overaboundant tomatoes. And for that one needs to have a technological advantage of some sort.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 08:54

Napoleon defeated himself and not just against Russia but against a huge coalition.

A huge coalition.... Before Russia (with allies) finally defeated Napoleon, a huge coalition of major European powers led by Napoleon lost in Russia.

Napo lost against Britain. If he attacked Russia was only because he wanted to force this country to "blockade" the UK.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 08:51

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 07:48

Napoleon defeated himself and not just against Russia but against a huge coalition.

A huge coalition.... Before Russia (with allies) finally defeated Napoleon, a huge coalition of major European powers led by Napoleon lost in Russia.

Edited by ataman
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 05:54
Hi,

ataman:
No doubts Russia was powerfull. But in the same way as Ottoman empire
was in the 19th century: lot of place, lot of personal and that's pretty
much it. Just consider all their defeats after 1815 even by weaker
countries (Ottoman) and on their own soil (Crimea war). They had a few
victories too but against non-European countries (and Habsbourgs but
these weren't the strongger state in Europe far from this).
Bye.
I am a free donkey!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 04:59
What European powers?

Napoleon defeated himself and not just against Russia but against a huge coalition. If Napoleon wouldn't have got the problem of Britain, he could have widely ignored Russia.

I don't know to what else you may refer. Only when the bolchesindustrialized the country, it did become a major power, able not just of defeating Germany but even challenging the USA.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 01:22

Russia was large but not "strong". It was extremely weak

If so, how do you explain that this 'extremely weak' feudal country defeated European powers in that time?

Edited by ataman
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 00:22

There was never any option for strong state nor remaining feudalist was any option that offered anymore than being a "thrid world country" of the time.

I can't agree with this sentence above. The strongest European country of the 18th and 19th c. was Russia which (at least) until 1864 was by no means a feudal country.

I don't know what you mean exactly but Russia was definitively the "third world of Europe" at that time: a country that exported cheap agricultural products such as grain in exchange for little. Russia was large but not "strong". It was extremely weak and that would be seen as the 19th century and Industrialization moved ahead. In the end Russia needed a revolution like a malaria victim needs quinine.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 22:49

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Sorry I had to provoc you. Early 19th century Russia was indeed very
powerful. Though, saying it was the most powerful european country is I
think a bite far to reach when you compere it to England

Ok, so let's compare ammounts of armies.

in 1816: Russia had 800 000 soldiers; GB had 255 000

in 1830: Russia had 826 000 soldiers; GB had 140 000

in 1860: Russia had 862 000 soldiers; GB had 347 000

And Russia could use bulk of its army in continental Europe, while GB had to disperse its army around the world. So...?

Edited by ataman
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 19:30
Hi,

Market or not? It is indeed a problem; so lets consider a few cases:

Spaniards were controling both resources and consumtion but at one
point their system was less productive than the Dutch's. Hence more and
more smuggling took place.

Even though sometime one country could protect sucessfully its trade
there was still (dispite of many rules) a clear concurrence between the
traders.

For quality or other reasons, a country (or a town or the all continent)
could change it source of supply one day on the other. It is what
happened for the furs first coming from America and then Siberia.

Some borders were officially closed to foreign trade, but not all and not
for every thing. For instance, concurrence took place between Spanish
and Dutch traders in France before Colbert.

On the other hand production and transport were also submitted to
concurrence. Colbert again did his best, using the navy, to convince
French colonists to use French and not Dutch cargos.

Of course, this was very far from the perfect market or even from today's
interpretation of market, but one thing is sure there were some markets
in early modern Europe for some types of products. On the contrary, corn
trade was so watched over and regulated that it can hardly be considered
as a market. Colonial products were much more fluid.

Yes the East India Company has existed till 1857 but the Levant Company
lost its monopoly in 1760, the Hudson Bay Company lost its monopoly
between the 1820's and 1870's, VOC disappeared in 1815 and the
Comapgnie franaise des Indes in 1754. So 1800 is uncorrect but by then
the process was well started.

Bye.

Edited by Maharbbal
I am a free donkey!
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 18:51

Maharbbal:

Surely up until about 1800, imperial economy was driven by mercantile economic thinking....control of resources and production, as well as end-users as markets.  How does the Market fit in?

The British East India Company ruled much of India until the mutiny of 1857.  An exception to the primacy of the state?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>