Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if Mongolians horde landed in Japan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if Mongolians horde landed in Japan?
    Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 15:29
Most "Mongol soldiers" were generally non-Mongols to begin with, i.e. men from defeated peoples who were given the choice of join or die. 

The 1st invasion of Japan was about 50/50 Mongol and Korean and totalled about 25,000 (or was it 40,000 ???).  The second was mostly Chinese (100,000 maybe ?), some Korean, and of course actual Mongols.  The second invasion numbered about 140,000 "Mongol troops" in total. 
Hulegu Han View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hulegu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 14:48

I don't think Mongols had as many horses as needed on their ships when they got Kyushu. Actually mongol warrior without horse isn't different from that of other nations, probably even worse.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 22:15
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Look, Harvard professors also have different views and very often they are driven by personal preferences. They also are people. Smile We really need to do a very extensive research to find whether they are really objective in a certain case.

I don't blindly take the "experts" viewpoint.  However, I generally do defer to them when I don't have the expertise.  (I have a knack for current affairs, at least that which I pay attention too.  I have knack for historical reasoning, but not history itself, because my knowledge world history or any country's/people's history in particular, list of factual events & whatnot, is hardly professorial.  In fact, it's more like armchair & weekend-warrior like.  Embarrassed)

But as I've stated numerous times:  I'm still skeptical of this spanking new theory.

Besides, the book you cited seems to be focused on the Japanese records; in order to produce a neutral research all the records should be evaluated.

True.  But there are different types of chonricles with varying degrees of historical accuracy.  As a general rule, the "memoirs" of some Chinese of Japanese official is generally biased and designed to pump up his reputation--which is why I'm a bit skeptical of the book I cited. 

However, ancient (East Asian) military/logistical records are generally quite accurate.  Also, history written a dynasty or two later is more accurate than the history written during the dynasty.  (Ancient Chinese records tend to be more accurate than ancient European (Mideast, etc.,) records.  Of course, the opposite is true now.)

Besides even if the professors cite this book, it doesn't mean that they support it necessarily, or that it become a mainstream point of view.
Actually, I read the passage on the Mongol invasion of the textbook in question which in turn cited the new theory, and it was clear he bought into it. 

Some of the ancient records are really too fantastic. For example, one Chinese chronicle writes that during the first invasion Mongols defeated the army of 100.000 samurai etc.

This blatant propaganda would bolster the Japanese version of events.  Wink

Great ! Finally, we have reached a compromise !Clap

Touch.  Tongue

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 21:52
Originally posted by TranHungDao

The problem is that those high-brow mainstream scholars are citing that new theory/new book I cited earlier, in the newer editions of their textbooks.  I dunno, but Yale & Stanford profs are not that stupid...

Many of these bozo's get paid over $1 Million a year.  Shocked

Also, keep in mind the Japanese nationalistic mythology also blames the typhoon, because it gave them a sense of divine protection, the "chosen ones" and whatnot.  That is, their own mythology contradicts their own ancient records.  Between nationalistic myths and ancient records, (which of course could also be a bunch of nationalistic revisionism), I would still have to go with the ancient records.

The best thing of course is to have third party, neutral historians to sort it all out:  Japanese records, Yuan/Mongol records, Korean records, and of course, the archeological stuff.

Look, Harvard professors also have different views and very often they are driven by personal preferences. They also are people. Smile We really need to do a very extensive research to find whether they are really objective in a certain case.

Besides, the book you cited seems to be focused on the Japanese records; in order to produce a neutral research all the records should be evaluated.

Besides even if the professors cite this book, it doesn't mean that they support it necessarily, or that it become a mainstream point of view.

Besides, like you say records are also very often a bunch of "nationalistic revisionism".

Some of the ancient records are really too fantastic. For example, one Chinese chronicle writes that during the first invasion Mongols defeated the army of 100.000 samurai etc.

But what I want to say is that, should there be direct military engagements  between Japanese and Mongolian's armies in the XIII th century, Mongols would win.

For sure.  The Mongols had more sophisticated strategies & tactics.  They were professional warriors, not farmers.  Amongst Japanese, only the Samurai were professionals.  (Remember that sublime scene from the film 300?  That is, when Leonidas ask the Akkadians "soldiers" what they really did fo a living, they all replied "farmer" and so on...  Only the Spartans were full-time, professional soldiers who trained constantly.)
[/QUOTE]

Great ! Finally, we have reached a compromise !Clap

Edited by Sarmat12 - 02-Jun-2007 at 21:55
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 20:57

Do I understand right that you are thinking, that we simply can not make any reliable prognosis about the outcome of the Mongol invasion?

Yes

By giving this Korean site, I just wanted to say that the interpretations are contradictory.

Even among mainstream high-brow scholarship, by Ivy Leauge profs and whatnot, I still can't get a clear picture of the two invasions.

And it is natural that they are biased. Japanese chronicles would likely favor Japanese and Koreans would disfavor them. That's why I said that the interpretations are ambiguous. And we can not say reliably whether Mongols left because they thought that the continuation of the war was meaningless.

The problem is that those high-brow mainstream scholars are citing that new theory/new book I cited earlier, in the newer editions of their textbooks.  I dunno, but Yale & Stanford profs are not that stupid...

Many of these bozo's get paid over $1 Million a year.  Shocked

Also, keep in mind the Japanese nationalistic mythology also blames the typhoon, because it gave them a sense of divine protection, the "chosen ones" and whatnot.  That is, their own mythology contradicts their own ancient records.  Between nationalistic myths and ancient records, (which of course could also be a bunch of nationalistic revisionism), I would still have to go with the ancient records.

The best thing of course is to have third party, neutral historians to sort it all out:  Japanese records, Yuan/Mongol records, Korean records, and of course, the archeological stuff.

We only know one fact (where all the chronicles agree): that the typhoon destoyed the fleet and after that the invasion was cancelled.

Yes, I agree.

But what I want to say is that, should their be direct military engagements  between Japanese and Mongolian's armies in the XIII th century, Mongols would win.

For sure.  The Mongols had more sophisticated strategies & tactics.  They were professional warriors, not farmers.  Amongst Japanese, only the Samurai were professionals.  (Remember that sublime scene from the film 300?  That is, when Leonidas ask the Akkadians "soldiers" what they really did fo a living, they all replied "farmer" and so on...  Only the Spartans were full-time, professional soldiers who trained constantly.)
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 19:46

So, I would not be so sure about the interpretation of the invasion in favor of Japanese.

"My interpretation" is not mine at all, but of mainstream western scholarship. Disapprove

I am a little bit surprised, because I always thought that the "mainstream scholarship interpretation" actually has been claiming that Japan was saved by the typhoon
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 19:25
To respectful TranHungDao,

I see, may be I misunderstood your point. I also did not mean that the interpretation for the Japanese victory was complitely yours, I just meant there is one of the possible interpretations like that.

Do I understand right that you are thinking, that we simply can not make any reliable prognosis about the outcome of the Mongol invasion?

By giving this Korean site, I just wanted to say that the interpretations are contradictory.

And it is natural that they are biased. Japanese chronicles would likely favor Japanese and Koreans would disfavor them. That's why I said that the interpretations are ambiguous. And we can not say reliably whether Mongols left because they thought that the continuation of the war was meaningless.

We only know one fact (where all the chronicles agree): that the typhoon destoyed the fleet and after that the invasion was cancelled.

So, simply, judging from this it is most likely, that Mongolian invasion failed because of the typhoon. It is the most reliable explanation.
My point is that without the typhoon the Mongols would prevail. May be the conquest of the whole country would take them many years, but as soon as they got to the ground, Japanese forces was no match for them.

You cited the example of Japanese invasion to Korea in the XVI century. This was the best time of Japanese military. They had perfect organization and superior fire weapons and still they were not able to achieve the decesive military victory  on the land although Ming dinasty wasn't very strong at that time and their military was inferior to Japanese one. And finally Japanese were defeated at sea by the Korean fleet, which was much stronger than their own.

In the XIII century, Japanese were much weaker compare to Mongols. Mongols also had superiority at sea and the support of Koreans and Chinese.

Perhaps, the conquest of Japan wouldn't be that easy, but most likely the Mongols would win all the land battles.

By victory, I just mean the victory in open battles.

What would be next?

Well, this is trully not clear. In fact Mongols were not able to effectively control all their lands and they ruled directly not very often.

Most likely Mogols would install their own ruler on the Japanese throne, may be they would leave a garnison on the islands.

I don't say that it would last for centuries. Mongol rule in some lands they conquered didn't last for a long. And sometimes they were totally absorbed into the local population adopt their customs religion etc.

They same thing would probably happen in Japan. May be a Mongolian ruler would be absorbed into Japanese culture and become complitely Japanized, may be Japanese would revolt and overthrow the Mongols what happened in other countries.

But what I want to say is that, should there be direct military engagements  between Japanese and Mongolian's armies in the XIII th century, Mongols would win.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 02-Jun-2007 at 21:55
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 18:39

Have you checked the link posted by rodimus prime http://www.kimsoft.com/2004/mongol-koryo-japan.htm

The author of this web site is "Lee Wha Rang".  Doesn't sound Japanese to me Disapprove, i.e. if the Japanese admit this, then it is plausible since it contradicts Japanese traditional mythology about the Mongol Invasions as well as the my of the invincibility of the Japanese samurai.  "Lee Wha Rang" doesn't sound like a neutral third party historian either.

It says, that the Mongols were  "were victorious and well on the way to occupying Kyushu".

Kyushu is just the southern most large island.  I distinctly remember seeing a documentary where the larger central island was significantly under attack.  My point is, despite this assertion, it doesn't anyway contradict what I was saying.

Put it this way, the Mongols made it pretty much completely into Dai Viet 3 times, but did they win?!? Wink  They also occupied Champa for a fews short years, but did they win?!?  Napoleon and Hitler made it to Moscow, or very near it in Hitler's case, but did they win?!?  The US fully occupied S. Vietnam, did they win?!?  The Soviets fully occupied Afghanistan, did they win?!?  The US is fully occupying Iraq, is it winning?!? Wacko

So, I would not be so sure about the interpretation of the invasion in favor of Japanese.

"My interpretation" is not mine at all, but of mainstream western scholarship. Disapprove

Can you cite the Chinese sources which say that Mongols were loosing?

Nope, but try this:

In Little Need of Divine Intervention: Takezaki Suenaga's Scrolls of the Mongol Invasions of Japan (Cornell East Asia, No. 113) (Cornell East Asia Series) (Paperback) by Thomas Donald Conlan (Paperback - Aug 2002)

Product Description
In Little Need of Divine Intervention presents a fundamental revision of the thirteenth-century Mongol Invasions of Japan by revealing that the warriors of medieval Japan were capable of fighting the Mongols to a standstill without the aid of any "divine winds" or kamikaze. Conlan's interpretation of the invasions is supplemented with translations of the picture scrolls commissioned by Takezaki Suenaga, a warrior who fought against the Mongols. In addition, translations of nearly seventy administrative documents are provided, thereby enabling students of Japanese history reconstruct the invasions using contemporary sources. A rare copy of Takezaki Suenaga's Scrolls, reproduced in full, reveals hitherto unknown missing scenes. Furthermore, the scrolls' images can be now read in tandem with its narrative passages, translated in English for the first time. Please note that the entire book was intentionally printed from back to front, so that the reproduced scrolls unfold in Japanese order, from right to left. Thus the book's spine is on the right. This monograph will prove to be of great interest for students and scholars of medieval Japanese history, warrior culture, and the nature of Japan in an East Asian context.

Link:  http://www.amazon.com/Little-Need-Divine-Intervention-Invasions/dp/188544513X/ref=sr_1_3/104-6245824-2330367?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180822637&sr=1-3

I've seen some pretty big named history prof's site this book in the more recent editions of their textbooks on Japanese history.

The only think we know for sure that Mongols left because of the bad weather, but not because of the victorious samurai. Smile

Let me reiterate what I've previously said...  The weather did play a role.  But was it THE KEY element of the Mongols' defeat?!?  Western scholarhip, i.e. neutral 3rd party scholaship, is trending to the direction that it wasn't.  For them, the Japanese would have won anyway, particularly in the 2nd invasion, despite it being the much larger one.

For me, this new intepretation is debatable. 
Why?  Because when the Japanese invaded the Korean peninsula in the late 1590's, (so that they could attack China), they got nowhere fast.  That is, if the Japanese could not defeat Chinese troops (100,000 Chinese came to the rescue), who were so easily defeated by Mongol troops, albeit three centuries earlier, then how could they defeat the Mongols.  Of course, this time, the Japanese were the ones making an amphibious invasion, which natuarally puts them at a disadvantage.

The other thing is that many Western scholars actually believe that the Mongols would have lost had they tried to conquer Europe, which is a joke since they so easily annihiliated the best Europe had to offer:   the Hospitallers, the Templars, the Teutonic knights, ...  And they did it while being outnumbered!!! Clap

Edited by TranHungDao - 02-Jun-2007 at 18:47
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 12:40

Look, it was written in both ancient Japanese as well as Chinese records that the Japanese were winning in the second invasion. 

Having said that, I find it debatable if he Japanese could have really won in the end.  For me, what really protected Japan is the mere fact that it is an island.  By way of example, England would have both to Napoleon and Hitler had it no been an island nation.

Have you checked the link posted by rodimus prime http://www.kimsoft.com/2004/mongol-koryo-japan.htm

It says, that the Mongols were  "were victorious and well on the way to occupying Kyushu".

The only think we know for sure that Mongols left because of the bad weather, but not because of the victorious samurai. Smile

Can you cite the Chinese sources which say that Mongols were loosing?

Edited by Sarmat12 - 02-Jun-2007 at 12:42
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 04:16
Originally posted by Kamikaze 738

Well, that was what happened. After Mongke Khan died during a battle, the new Khan (Hulagu Khan) decided to pull back the Mongol forces that was invading Syria to confront the Chinese instead. Why else did you think that the Mamluk defeated the Mongols in Syria? Thats because over half the forces returned to Mongolia to equip for the conquest of the Southern Song. That left only a few soldiers to fight against the Mamluks and were ultimately defeated. Nearly all Mongol forces were returned to fight in China. Batu Khan had his own agenda so he wouldnt be participating (due to some conflict).

The Mongols had their hands in more than just two places.  Also, don't forget that most "Mongol soldiers" were non-Mongols.
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 04:12

Just to let you know, I think it was the first Mongol invasion of Vietnam in 1257 was really intended for Southern Song.  Because the Vietnamese refused them passage, they decided (foolishly) to go after Vietnam/Dai Viet instead.  So Dai Viet saved Southern Song for another few decades.  Otherwise Southern Song would have had to fight the Mongols on two fronts including their soft underbelly.

True, but thats not the point Im trying to make. When you said that the Mongols easily conquered the Southern South... it just seems insulting because you said it in a way that made it sound like the Song didnt even put up a fight against the invading Mongols... which of course they did, but they didnt have the good generals to fight against them like the ones fighting against the Jins before the Mongols came. It was inevitable but the Song didnt just gave it up, they fought to the bitter end.

Also, you should as those "what if" questions such as:  What if the Mongols only concentrated on Southern Song instead of rampaging throughout the rest of the known world, all the way out to Europe and North Africa?

Well, that was what happened. After Mongke Khan died during a battle, the new Khan (Hulagu Khan) decided to pull back the Mongol forces that was invading Syria to confront the Chinese instead. Why else did you think that the Mamluk defeated the Mongols in Syria? Thats because over half the forces returned to Mongolia to equip for the conquest of the Southern Song. That left only a few soldiers to fight against the Mamluks and were ultimately defeated. Nearly all Mongol forces were returned to fight in China. Batu Khan had his own agenda so he wouldnt be participating (due to some conflict).
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 03:40

The fact is that the Mongol expedition was destroyed by typhoon.  We are can not be absolutely sure about other details (different sources give different data). However, having all the information about the military achievements of the Mongols, one can naturally assume that they had better chances for victory.

Look, it was written in both ancient Japanese as well as Chinese records that the Japanese were winning in the second invasion. 

Having said that, I find it debatable if he Japanese could have really won in the end.  For me, what really protected Japan is the mere fact that it is an island.  By way of example, England would have both to Napoleon and Hitler had it no been an island nation.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 03:09

True, but it is debatable if the Japananese could have done it, typhoon or not.  Ancient Japanese records suggest the Japanese were winning, especially since they were prepared as well as the fact that the defenders outnumbered the invaders.

The fact is that the Mongol expedition was destroyed by typhoon.  We are can not be absolutely sure about other details (different sources give different data). However, having all the information about the military achievements of the Mongols, one can naturally assume that they had better chances for victory.
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 02:37

Well, the second time they were also wiped out by the typhoon but not by the Japanese defences.

True, but it is debatable if the Japananese could have done it, typhoon or not.  Ancient Japanese records suggest the Japanese were winning, especially since they were prepared as well as the fact that the defenders outnumbered the invaders.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 02:03

I distinctly remember seeing a documentary where they showed the Mongols had landed and went right into the central regions of Japanese soil, longitudewise.  I think this was the second invasion (1281) of 140,000 men; much of these men would actually have been there for logistical support.

In the first invasion, they had tactical suprise and did not have problems landing.  But in the second invasion, the Japanese were well prepared and they did have problems landing.

And in the first invasion (1274; 25,000 men), the Mongols actually won, but did not know it, and retreated to their ships only to be wiped out by the typhoon.

Well, the second time they were also wiped out by the typhoon but not by the Japanese defences.
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 01:59

So the question was basically technical which is whether Mongols would be able to land their army in Japan and fortunately for Japanese they were not able to do so due to the typhoon.

I distinctly remember seeing a documentary where they showed the Mongols had landed and went right into the central regions of Japanese soil, longitudewise.  I think this was the second invasion (1281) of 140,000 men; much of these men would actually have been there for logistical support.

In the first invasion, they had tactical suprise and did not have problems landing.  But in the second invasion, the Japanese were well prepared and they did have problems landing.

And in the first invasion (1274; 25,000 men), the Mongols actually won, but did not know it, and retreated to their ships only to be wiped out by the typhoon.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 01:57

Yes, they were not sea warriors, but in the war with Japan Korean navy was on Mongolian side. And I believe united Korean and Chinese fleet was stronger than the Japanese fleet.

Even so, this would not allow them to conquer Japan.  They'd still need an actual land invasion.

For sure, they would still need a land invasion. I just meant that military inferiority of Mongols in the naval affairs which had been the case during the conquest of Korea (according to Pekau) was not the factor during the invasion in Japan.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 02-Jun-2007 at 01:58
Σαυρομάτης
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 01:48
Originally posted by Kamikaze 738

No offense, but are you kidding me?! Easily conquered?? It took nearly 25 years for the Mongols to conquer the Southern Song! From looking at this and comparing to the other states the Mongols conquer, 25 years was pretty long in which the Mongol conquest of Russia and the Islamic states of the Khwarezmian Empire and the Abbasid Caliphate was roughy 5 years each. That was nothing compare to how long the Song lived before falling to the Mongols. Its also extraordinary to note that when the Mongols invaded the Song, they were already in a weaken state of constant invasion from the Jins and yet they still held on for about 25 years before finally fell to the Mongols. Easily conquered... yea Stern%20Smile

Just to let you know, I think it was the first Mongol invasion of Vietnam in 1257 was really intended for Southern Song.  Because the Vietnamese refused them passage, they decided (foolishly) to go after Vietnam/Dai Viet instead.  So Dai Viet saved Southern Song for another few decades.  Otherwise Southern Song would have had to fight the Mongols on two fronts including their soft underbelly.

Also, you should as those "what if" questions such as:  What if the Mongols only concentrated on Southern Song instead of rampaging throughout the rest of the known world, all the way out to Europe and North Africa?

Yes, they were not sea warriors, but in the war with Japan Korean navy was on Mongolian side. And I believe united Korean and Chinese fleet was stronger than the Japanese fleet.

Even so, this would not allow them to conquer Japan.  They'd still need an actual land invasion.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 00:19
Originally posted by pekau

Korea was mountainous, yes. But Mongolians were free to invade Korea easily because Korea was not an island. Furthermore, Korean government were fighting whether they should join the Mongolians or defy them. While there were number of successful Korean resistance against Mongolian calvary, especially when Koreans were well trained for massive calvary charge by the Chinese... Mongolian armies simply outmanevuered and outnumbered the Korean armies. Even when Seoul was taken by Mongolians, the  Korean resistance simply moved the capital to island near Inchon, where the Mongolians failed to land due to Korea' naval superiority. Plus, the Southern Korea continued to show effective resistance, where Mongolian calvary were disadvantageous due to the environment and the incapability for Mongolians to fight in one effective and organized army. But convinced that Korea has fallen, the Korean king agreed to bow down to Mongolian will. And hence the  great tragedy began, when the Korean armies split; one still loyal to Korean resistance, and another joined the Mongolian armies under the will of Korean king. Fight lasted longer, but the Korean resistance, cut off from King's support and divided, were doomed to die.

Mongolians worked so hard to conquer the island that Korean king fled. I even heard that they dismentled a lot of Korean houses to use it to raise a navy, and they still failed to defeat small but effective resistance. Imagine if entire armies of Japan do the same. Mongolians may win, but highly unlikely.

Well, I don't doubt the bravery and patriotism of Korean soldiers.  But the fact is that Mongols prevailed despite all the odds. And moreover despite their casualties in Korea they were able to gather even greater army for the conquest of Japan.

And Mongols still were superior than Japanese in military tactics and technique and finally they had much more resources than Japanese.

Mongols were also very cunning politicians. They used "divide and conquer" strategy everywhere, not only in Korea.

They would surely do the same in Japan. There definetely would be some Japanese clans willing to support Mongols as soon as they get initial success.

I think at that time Koreans, actually, were even more monolithic than Japanese.

So the question was basically technical which is whether Mongols would be able to land their army in Japan and fortunately for Japanese they were not able to do so due to the typhoon.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 00:12
////

Edited by Sarmat12 - 02-Jun-2007 at 00:20
Σαυρομάτης
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>