Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Celts in Oceania?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Celts in Oceania?
    Posted: 15-May-2011 at 21:56
I see only superficial similarities: many primitive societies used crosses as sacred symbols (due to their resemblence to certain stars in the sky) while the swirling pattern on the totem pole could represent the waves of the ocean or the power of a hurricane
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2010 at 06:12
There is also something similar to those mouthless Celtic Statue Menhirs in Oceania:

In Aboriginal mythology, the Wondjina (or Wandjina) were cloud and rain spirits who, during the Dream time, created or influenced the landscape and its inhabitants.

Common composition is with large upper bodies and heads that show eyes and nose, but typically no mouth. Two explanations have been given for this: they are so powerful they do not require speech[5] and if they had mouths, the rain would never cease.

Our Strange World!!
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2010 at 06:03
For this thread: Statue Menhirs, Prehistoric Western Europe I was researching about the Celtic God Taranis that I found this interesting article: http://www.celticnz.co.nz/Koru%20PA2.htm

In the picture to the upper left is shown a statuette, found in France, which depicts the ancient god Taranis and his identifying elements. These are:

1. The bolt of lightening that he holds in his right hand.
  2. His bag and double spiral ringlets (enhanced in yellow for clarity). The spiral, in the Maori language, is called a Koru, hence the name Koru PA, where the river spirals around the defensive enclosure peninsula.
  3. The thunder wheel.

In the picture to the lower left is shown a "cross", known as the "Cross of Taranis" (Croix de Taranis). In pre-Christian France (Gaul) the spoked "thunder wheel" of Taranis was often represented as a "cross".

In the picture to the right is shown Curator of the Dargaville Maritime Museum, Noel Hilliam, holding an ancient totem (Nui pole), which was retrieved from wetlands in the north of New Zealand. The totem has, carved into it, all of the elements associated with Taranis, the Thunderer. These are:

1. The spiral lightening bolt of Taranis carved very precisely to original and authentic form.
  2. The double spiral ringlets of Taranis, which are depicted as a large spiral reducing to a small spiral (Koru).
  3. The "Cross" of Taranis, which represented the "thunder wheel". This is again shown at the bottom of the totem (3B).

The Celtic/ ancient Gaulish tribes, Turones, Turoni, Taurini, venerated the deity Taranucus/ Taranaich, which is not a tremendous departure from saying that the Turehu of ancient New Zealand (described as Europeans) lived in the foothills of Mt, Taranaki.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12