Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islam in Indonesia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam in Indonesia?
    Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 22:00
Originally posted by Baal Melqart

Interesting subject. We know that the first Muslim community in Indonesia first appeared around the 12th century yet trade with Arabs had already started in the 8th century.

I think the Achenese coverted to orthodox Islam much earlier, maybe as early as the 7th century.  The Achenese were among the forst non local Islamic people identified as having an early presence in Mecca (houses of study, religous represenatives etc) 
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 14:54
Interesting subject. We know that the first Muslim community in Indonesia first appeared around the 12th century yet trade with Arabs had already started in the 8th century. Apparently it took from the 12th to the 16th century for Islam to become the major religion of Indonesia.

Obviously, Islam only spread through means of trade but it's still quite interesting to see how it caught on so well. As far as I know, maritime and especially island dwelling peoples tend to be quite tolerant towards foreign ideologies. But then that's not enough as an explanation.

I think that many of the Arab traders must have settled in Indonesia and married with influencial people. If a ruler was Muslim, then it would make sense that the population felt inclined to convert and also, as far as I know there was no religious opression caused by this difference.

a little bit more on the subject
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Indonesia
Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2011 at 09:26
Before the arrival of Islam, Malaya and Indonesia were pagan or Buddhist societies. In modern times Indonesia has the largest Muslim population outside the Middle East. How long did the conversion of the people take, and why was Islam so successful?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12