Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saxon and Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxon and Scythian
    Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 11:45
Exactly.
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 09:18
But it turned to almost exclusively linguistic one.Smile
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2008 at 08:56
Why was this thread moved here?! It is not just a linguistic discussion.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2008 at 11:03
Sounds good, with the 'ik' in there.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 19:49
Intrestengly enough, the most macho translation of "The men" would be "Muzhiki" Muzh is a man in Old Russian and husband in mordern.  Smile
Σαυρομάτης
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 19:40
You remind me that one of the oddities about my (West Saxon) dialect is that 'mush' means 'man'.  Somehat belligerently, as in "Are you looking at me, mush?"
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 19:18
Well, boitsy actually means "fighters" but for "the Men" perhaps would be "Muzhchiny," then three men is probably "Troe muzhchin" (althought honestly I don't like how it sounds Smile) It's somehow awkward.

For Barbara S. "Liudi" works good.
Σαυρομάτης
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2008 at 15:39
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by gcle2003

However you remind me of an interesting translation problem that arose when I was learning. We had to translate a review of the Brando film 'The Men', which raised the question of how the film's title ought to be translated (Brando is a paraplegic in a veterans hospital post WW2). Nobody ever came up with a perfect solution, partly because we were not allowed a plural of chelovek, partly because it has to be gender-specific, and indeed connotate vigour, and partly because of the definite article.

Suggestions?

Well. The use of "cheloveka" is indeed limited to the combination with some numerals. But it's totally literal and is widely used. I can even refer you to the news articles in Russian by the official mass media which use "X cheloveka" if you are interested. Smile

There was "cheloveki" in the Old Russian. It's indeed is not used now and sounds funny. Smile. I guess the word which was referred by those authors was "cheloveki."

But for "The Men" "Liudi" is indeed the best translation. However, "The Three Men" would be "Tri Cheloveka"

(Sorry I overlooked this.)

Then how would you translate the Barbara Streisand song 'People'? 'Liudi' misses the macho irony of calling the film 'The Men', when it is about former conbat infantrymen/marines who are now more or less helpless cripples. How about ' бойцы ' to get the flavour better?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2008 at 08:32
And then comes Persian...Confused
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2008 at 08:20
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

As I knew Germanic own beliefs and myths won’t change your beliefs!

Bye for now!

I'm not sure what you mean. What Snorri wrote was not the beliefs of the old Germanic peoples. Being a Christian, he tried to invent a human background of the Norse gods. This has been debunked though.
You obviously haven't made up your mind, since in one moment you claim they were imigrating Scyths and in the next moment you start comparing Norse gods with Iranian gods claiming they are similar (you can't have both!!).

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2008 at 07:34
Which of them says they are Scythian or Iranian??
And we're still waiting for some explanations from you.
Bon voyageWink
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2008 at 04:12

As I knew Germanic own beliefs and myths won’t change your beliefs!

Bye for now!

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 03-Jun-2008 at 04:13
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 21:45
Reading that link was interesting, but I'm not sure how any of that can prove Cyrus' point in the least. Makes me wonder if he had infact read it himself?
It says the Vikings were very friendly to outsiders, so much that they'd accept them into their family. They say it as though it's unique to invite someone of a strange culture, and I think they push that point in the article, which definitly shows that the cultures were very different and this is another article Cyrus uses, but ends up shooting himself in the foot with.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 21:23

1, How did Scythians (who didn't exist at the time) manage to get into Scandinavia and be ancestral to Germanic tribes??

Why should I post all things again?! I have posted several links about it, for example would you please read this one: http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/5471/2/

And how many times do I have to repeat Snorris is not credible considering the origin of the gods. Scholars are in agreement there is no basis for his stories, and archaeology agrees. I and other have repeated it at least half a dozen times but you refuse to see it.

And as for the woman: they imported a lot of women from all over the place, many Scandinavian and Slavic rulers in Russia or Poland had Scandinavian wives and vice versa. Nothing extraordinary with that.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 02-Jun-2008 at 21:44
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 21:03

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Well, you left me speechless, I can't believe you even said that. It was a myth, a tall tale about the people of Atlantis. He didn't think they were Iranic, he thought of them as the lost tribe of a master race, of all blonde hair and blue eyes. Do you have Blonde Hair and Blue eyes? If not, your not Arayan to Hitler's and those believed in the Germanic/Arayan connection.
What about Hitler himself? My grandfather, father-in-law, some cousins, ... have blonde hairs and blue eyes, I am not an Aryan but my child will probably be! Wink
Hitler refused to have a child out of fear of it "not having the Arayan look".
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:37
Have you read it yourself Cyrus??
1, It mentions two womam immigrants during the Viking age (834AD) - 3300 years after the time the ancestors of Germanic peoples arrived to Scandinavia. And it clearly says they were immigrants!
2, Then it mentions the origin of Odin, a warrior who arrived to Scandinavia a long time ago - it is not clear whether he was one of the Germanic ancestors or an immigrant who gained respect. South of Caucasus (which comprises Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and part of Southern Russia, including the disputed territories of Abkhazia, Chechnya, South Ossetia and Nagorno-Karabakh) and north of Turkey roughly the same area that IEans are supposed to come from.

So, no, you haven't explained those two points. Please do so now, or in the six days.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:06
1, How did Scythians (who didn't exist at the time) manage to get into Scandinavia and be ancestral to Germanic tribes??

Why should I post all things again?! I have posted several links about it, for example would you please read this one: http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/5471/2/
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:01

Originally posted by Suren

Originally posted by King John

Old English Online: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/engol-BF-R.html

<déor> brave, valiant 

Cyrus, there is one problem with your definition, it is not complete. The first definition for Déor is not brave, valiant but rather animal, beast.1 Where does that fit into your point?
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=deer&searchmode=none :
Deer
O.E. deor "animal, beast," from P.Gmc. *deuzan, the general Gmc. word for "animal" (as opposed to man), but often restricted to "wild animal" (cf. O.N. dyr, O.H.G. tior, Ger. Tier, Goth. dius)

Middle Persian: Daurt and Modern Persian Dad (beast of prey, wild animal) -> http://www.windictionary.com/Persian-English-dad-Default.aspx

Cyrus, I've never heard about Dad meaning beast or wild animal in Modern Persian. In which dialect are you talking about?
You know Persian language, don't you? "Dad" is the only Persian word for "Wild Animal", antonym of "Dam" which means "domesticated animal"

As you see, this famous poem of Hafiz is in the first link:

Wild Deer - آهوی وحشی

الا ای آهوی وحـشی کـجایی
مرا با توسـت چـندین آشـنایی
دو تنها و دو سرگردان دو بیکـس
دد و دامت کمین از پیش و از پـس

Where are you O Wild Deer?
I have known you for a while, here.
Both loners, both lost, both forsaken
The wild beast, for ambush, have all waken
Right now I know what you are talking about. Smile
The only word that I heard is dad-manesh (wild) which we use it rarely.

Edited by Suren - 02-Jun-2008 at 20:03
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 20:00
Do the ancient sources mention Proto-Iranian??
Why are you using Persian then if everything needs to be written by Herodot and the company??
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2008 at 19:58
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Well, you left me speechless, I can't believe you even said that. It was a myth, a tall tale about the people of Atlantis. He didn't think they were Iranic, he thought of them as the lost tribe of a master race, of all blonde hair and blue eyes. Do you have Blonde Hair and Blue eyes? If not, your not Arayan to Hitler's and those believed in the Germanic/Arayan connection.
What about Hitler himself? My grandfather, father-in-law, some cousins, ... have blonde hairs and blue eyes, I am not an Aryan but my child will probably be! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>