Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Animal Versus Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Animal Versus Thread!
    Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 09:19
Yes I have worked at Taronga Zoo in Sydney for the past 4 years, part-time. I love it!

There is a definite disparity the size between Orangs and Gorillas. Male Western and Eastern Lowland Gorillas can weigh over the twice the amount of a male Orangutan. I think this is enough of an advantage in a fight. Unless you think other factors would nullify the gorillas size advantage?

Regards,

- Knights -
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2008 at 07:25
Originally posted by Knights

And a Gorilla would certainly beat an Orang - possibly even a female Gorilla. However one blow from a male Orang could be lethal because they are so incredibly strong. I have been in the situation where 8 people were needed to make a fair tug of war game against Jantan, a male Orang at the zoo. 

I thought orangs and gorillas were pretty similar in terms of size and strength. How can you be so sure of the victor?

Also, do you work AT the zoo or something? you seem to have a very large amount of unusually detailed zoo-related knowledge.

Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2008 at 09:23
A Siberian Tiger would have no problem against a Leopard. And a Gorilla would certainly beat an Orang - possibly even a female Gorilla. However one blow from a male Orang could be lethal because they are so incredibly strong. I have been in the situation where 8 people were needed to make a fair tug of war game against Jantan, a male Orang at the zoo. 
Arkhanson View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2008 at 19:28
Gorilla I think cause it is more agressive :D  :)

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2008 at 00:03
Originally posted by Arkhanson

siberian tiger versus leopar ?

Siberian Tiger.

Bigger, stronger, more resilient, deadlier weapons, more at home in the water, takes down larger prey (always a good indicator of the nastier opponent.)

How about...

Gorilla vs. Orangutan?

Edited by TheARRGH - 07-Aug-2008 at 00:03
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Arkhanson View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 18:10
siberian tiger versus leopar ?
raygun View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 08:02
Reader's Digest (old 70s issue I think) had a real life story on a plane crash on an ice shelf north of Siberia.

It happended that the pilot survived the crash but was trapped on the ice with a Siberian tiger, later a polar bear came on, & the big cat & bear got into a colossal fight. The bear was killed & both man & cat survived on bear meat, until the ice drifted close to land. The man was saved while the cat disappeared into Siberia.

So Siberian Tiger 1, Polar Bear 0

Edited by raygun - 23-Jul-2008 at 08:12
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 08:40
Grey Wolf - largest wild dog. It would win hands down.
Arkhanson View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2008 at 06:58
well I wanna bet on chewbacca for the wookies againsts alien Big%20smileClown

uhm for real life grey wolf versus jackal or coyote
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 05:31
We've all heard about the Mongoose and the venomous Cobra - the Mongoose is usually to agile and eventually finishes off the snake. However, I've never thought about what would happen between a non-venomous snake and a Mongoose. Would there be much of a different approach on the part of either? 
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 05:56
Originally posted by Tyranos

How about man vs Mammoth or Sabertooth Tiger ? That I would like to see occur, and if it was possible to take them down back then. 

Man vs. Sabertooth is JUST possible for the man to win if he has a weapon, or is extremely strong, clever, and has a handy cliff to push the sabertooth off.

man vs. mammoth...

you'd need several men and they'd all have to be armed. Then quite possibly. Best weapons for the job would be spearthrowers. If need be, normal javelins would do.

Edited by TheARRGH - 24-Jun-2008 at 05:57

Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2008 at 05:37
How about man vs Mammoth or Sabertooth Tiger ? That I would like to see occur, and if it was possible to take them down back then. 
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 13:05
Originally posted by Leonidas

you know im still not convinced the wolf owns a lynx yet.

i just read in wiki that the Canadian lynx can prey on the coyote. 

That depends on what "preying on the coyote" means. Perhaps they can catch some cubs, or a dying old lone wolf, but taking on a prime coyote, I don't think so. Predators of equal size usually try to avoid each other, and confrontations are largely ritualistic; most animals don't want to fight to death or serious injury for no reason.

I'm not saying it never happens, but surely a coyote isn't a "prey item" for the Canadian lynx - any more than lynx is a prey item for the coyote.

Ps. Many of those animal vs fights that are on youtube are more or less staged. Especially those from certain old documetaries, that just happened "by chance" to come up upon several highly unusual animal fights, that audiences would like to see - and all in the same "documentary."

Just like those old Disney doc's about suicidal lemmings, that were also completely fake.

That kind of "documentaries" made in a certain era are just fictional entertainment.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 17:50
Maybe it's too late for the coneshell/mantis shrimp discussion, but I'm not sure anyone asked the obvious question; what is the penetrating power of a cone snail's harpoon?

After all, there's no guarantee it could even break through the mantis shrimp's shell, unless it found a joint, is there?

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 03:50

A rhinoceros against a hippopotamus?

What is the officer problem?
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2008 at 03:48

I guess it depends who gets the first punch.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 05:59
The cone's harpoon is a modification of the radula, which is a weird hybrid of a throat. The harpoon specifically is fired by muscle contractions in the proboscis, and is hollow. Before each firing, it is injected with the neurotoxin venom. When fired, the harpoon strikes prey, and is slowly reeled in for consumption.
So, the actual firing of the harpoon itself is very rapid, but it has to be filled with venom before firing (which is why cones are patience/ambush predators), and is one shot only (because of the very slow retraction time, and the fact that it sticks into the victim generally).
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 05:52

Is the Coneshell fast? Also, is the harpoon retractable?

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 05:46
Yeh, the Mantis Shrimp is far more agile and fast than the Coneshell, so it has many more tactical options. However if the Cone gets a hit, bye bye Mantis Shrimp! What exactly do you mean by react in double time?
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2008 at 05:44
I had the idea that the coneshell could react in double time. Is this true? I guess it comes down to which animal is faster in its attack or if the Mantis Shrimp uses hit and run tactics.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 16-Apr-2008 at 05:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>