Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Iranian Language

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Does the Iranian language need to be revived?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [82.14%]
5 [17.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Iranian Language
    Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 11:16
What root and meaning would that be?
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2005 at 10:03

Ops yes i was wrong Ferdos was actully mentioned in the Quran.

about "Din" actully in Arabic it has different root and meaning than the Persian one, so it didnt come from Persian language.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 19:12

Unipers is a good idea to standardise Latin script Persian, but I don't think the alphabet of Iran should be changed.

Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 18:20

farohar

I voted yes but I felt that I had to explain why, by voting yes I don't mean that Persian language is a dieing language (that would be ridicules) Imagine a language as a snowball rolling down a mountain, as it rolls it gets bigger and swallows everything on its way, by the time it stops it may be one gigantic hill which may not have the pure content, shape or size of its origin but it is in fact, the same snowball but with richer content, languages borrow words and that is how they develop. For a language to get to a richer level there are three choices:

1- Borrow foreign words: I have nothing against borrowing words but I feel they should be reduced to 10-15% per language, meaning if you have 10000 words borrowed from Arabic language it should be reduced to 1000-1500. We have to remember that many of the words that most think are Arabic, are in fact Persian words, so I would be careful calling every word Arabic, For example many would say that the word "sad" (hundred - 100 - written with 'st') is a Arabic word while it is actually a miswritten Persian word. "Sadeh festival"

or the word "dvar" (referee) used today, was used 15 centuries ago as ddvar (judge) but, then again 15 centuries ago Iranians didn't play football, so today we say ddras/qzi (judge).

2- Combine words: Best way but, one should be careful not to get too many long words that are hard to use.

3- Make artificial words: you have to start somewhere, I don't think the caveman really thought of this when he was saying "me hunt you cook". There are about 21952 combinations of 3 letter words (as a root word) you can make with Persian alphabet, however only 2904 of these are easy to pronounce and most of them are already in use. This number for pronounceable words in 4 letter words is 17424 and for five letter words 383328) so there are allot of possibilities here.

All this said, in the end people will decide what words to use.

Sabzevarian

UniPers is a great idea for a secondary language but on the other hand most Iranians know this alphabet already. I prefer reconstructing the existing alphabet because it's do-able, easy to adjust, fast to learn, keeps us close to our history and it does not damage Persian calligraphy. here is an idea:

Zagros

I don't mean to change the subject here but yes many words in the Qur'an are indeed of Iranian origin, like the word "din/deen" (religion) used in Qur'an Al-Baqara[2:256] Al-Imran[3:19], [3-24], [3-73], [3-83] and [3-85].

"Din/deen"(religion) is driven form the word "daena"

GOOD CONSCIENCE

Turning to the Zarathushtrian religion, the conscientious term, most probably coined and used first by the founder, Zarathushtra, is "Dan". It is derived from the Avestan root "di" or "dai" (Sanskrit "dhyai"), meaning to "see, view, perceive, contemplate, ponder, mediate" with a participle suffix "na". Dan means "conscience, discernment, insight", and of course, "religion". It is according to Zarathushtra, one's discerning insight that forms one's religion, in fact, conviction. The Indian term "dhyna", focusing of thoughts to comprehend a fact, meditation, is a cognate.

But while the Indian dhyana helps an individual to concentrate to promote his or her own individual mental faculty, the Zarathushtrian Daena unites all those who think, discern, and choose alike in one great fellowship of conviction -- the religion of Good Conscience, Dan Vanguhi-- founded, preached and promoted by Zarathushtra. Zarathushtra uses the term Daena for a total of 26 times in his sublime songs, the Divine Gathas.

Zoroastrianism

Ahura Mazda is the beginning and the end, the creator of everything which can and cannot be seen, the Eternal, the Pure and the only Truth. Zoroastrian morality is summed up in the simple phrase, "Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds". Daena (din in modern Persian) is the eternal Law, whose order was revealed to humanity through the Mathra-Spenta "Holy Words". Daena has been used to mean religion, faith, law, even as a translation for the Buddhist and Hindu term Dharma: it is the correct order of the universe, which humanity naturally must follow through the Kusti "Holy Path" in order to be a Behdini "Follower of the Proper/Good Religion".

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 13:54
Originally posted by azimuth

Arabs can pronouce almost all the letters in the world, to make that part of your statment more correct you can say Arabs dont Have g in their Alphabet. so in writing these will be put as in J or k or gh.

and the pronounciation will change as per the writings,

i think its more confusing with the Farsi pronouncing many letters they write with.

Any human being can pronouns any sound of any other language with practice that is not build in the DNA but if they have said things a cretins way for a long time that would not be convenient for them to pronouns differently. There no g in Arabic alphabet because there is no g in Arabic and there is no need for a letter. Alphabets are normally build around languages not the other way around. Like there is no KH in English if a native English speaker practices enough he will be able to pronounce KH but when a word like Khalifah is borrowed from Arabic is changes to Caliph or Kaliph and pronounced with a K instead of KH

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 09:13
Yes, it is. It's the highest point of Heaven.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 06:37

hmmm

Ferdows is not mentioned in the Quran

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 06:20

Pardis - ferdows is another example, I think many words in the Qur'an are of Iranian origin.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2005 at 04:51

Arabs can pronouce almost all the letters in the world, to make that part of your statment more correct you can say Arabs dont Have g in their Alphabet. so in writing these will be put as in J or k or gh.

and the pronounciation will change as per the writings,

i think its more confusing with the Farsi pronouncing many letters they write with.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 21:14

the funny part is that many of the words are actually loop back were pronunciation has dramatically changed because arabic does not have many of the sounds used in IE or altaic languages. Like word borj was borrowed from Persian barg. Arabs could not pronounce g and had to change that to j now that word is borrowed back in Persian and they also use borj

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 20:43

lol

that was for the Turkish words used officially in EGYPT and Countries like syria.

there are still some words used in the daily spoken language of egypt and some countries .

but not that many words are used Officially.

plus how may words are they? compared to the Arabic in Turkish and in Farisi?

would that be considered ridiculous?

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 20:37
Originally posted by azimuth

i think he may mean something like what the turkish did

Or kind of like what arab did trying to clean up turkish and persain words from arabic when they got together in Egypt after the ottoman era

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 08:47
Originally posted by niceone928

I am a non persian but I am learning some farsi and I tell those who teach me not to use any arabic words.  So, instead of saying Salam I think you would say dorood.  Is this correct? 

i mean no disrespect to farsi language but it has lots of Arabic words and iam not sure if you didnt learn at least some of these words you will be able to understand what many iranian are saying.i mean if that was your goal by learning the language.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 08:05
Originally posted by niceone928

On another note, I was wondering if anyone has information on the similarities between the croats and ancient  aryans of Iran? 

I guess you mean similarities between Iranians and Ancient Croats, because they were assimilated by Slavs.

Here is a link:

http://www.magma.ca/~rendic/chapter1.htm

If you wish to discuss this further, please create a new topic.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 06:33
The dying languages are mostly tribal languages around the world, Africa, Americas, Austuralia etc. National langages, especially the well preserved and wide ones dont die that easily unless there happens a program to ruin and assimilate the language.
niceone928 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niceone928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 05:54
I read somewhere that every year 10 langueages will die.  I hope that the ancient persian language will never die. 
niceone928 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote niceone928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Aug-2005 at 05:51

I am a non persian but I am learning some farsi and I tell those who teach me not to use any arabic words.  So, instead of saying Salam I think you would say dorood.  Is this correct? 

Right now I am reading a book by J.P. Mallory titled In search of the Indo-Europeans.  It is interesting

On another note, I was wondering if anyone has information on the similarities between the croats and ancient  aryans of Iran? 

Sabzevarian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Sabzevarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 01:52
I think some final descendant of unipers as a secondary alphabet or international alphabet is an interesting idea.

http://unipers.com/pa2up.htm
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 08:54

I think it would be beneficial in preserving Parsi, and I don't think it would have any dire consequences, so why not?

I heard there was a move to change western words that never existed in Parsi, ie. Television were changed to "Sada va Seema" and other wierd concoctions that never fully worked.

If there is to be a change, it would have to come from the modern literary center of the Persian world, and that is Iran.  Iran proliferates Persian material, and lots of Persian material are read in Afghanistan and Tajikistan.

A similar revival came for Pashto with new dictionaries being created with new words that were invented.  Some have even gone as far as reviving Avestan words, but in the end its the common people that are key in spreading it.

I say start with poetry and books and let the people decide.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 06:06

I voted "Yes".

I think that we can and we should preserve our national language.It's a nessesiate!

http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>