Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were ancestors of Germanic tribes and where did they come fr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were ancestors of Germanic tribes and where did they come fr
    Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 02:26
I've never read that Neanderthals were worse adapted to cold climates than Sapiens. In fact, their local evolution in cold Europe (subject to glaciations) and not in warm Africa like us, seems to suggest that they would have evolved more adpated to colder climates, thought this is hard to infere from just bones.

My guess is that they were probably more hairy and greasy than most modern humans. Their overall constitution (short and stocky) is a typical adpatation to cold climates also found in less exaggerated form among Inuits and other Siberian peoples (Mongoloids). Their flat noses are also expression of their good adaptation to cold climates.

This doesn't mean that they didn't prefer milder climates nor that they were pure "icemen".

X haplogroup is totally minoritary in Europe. According to the Wiki, it has not more than 2% among Europeans and it's not precisely typical of Nordics:

It is more strongly present in the Near East, the Caucasus, and Mediterranean Europe; and somewhat less strongly present in the rest of Europe. Particular concentrations appear in Georgia (8%), the Orkney Islands (7%) and amongst the Israeli Druze (26%); the latter are presumably due to a founder effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_X_%28mtDNA%29

It is also present (3%) among North American natives (so not just "as far east as Altai"). In any case, with the exception of Lebanese Druzes, it is not definitory of any particular group but rather it should be considered an "erratic".

Thor Heyerdal was a great modern adventurer and forwarded many suggestive theories. Yet none of them have been proven sufficiently. In fact most seem rather disproven.

What do you mean when you say that Anglo-Saxons (English, I guess) and Fino-Ugrians (which Fino-Ugrians?: Estonian, Lapps, Magyars, Nenets?) have a simmilar genetics? That's not true - as far as I can discern.

Via Y-chromosome, Britons seem majorly (100-60%, depending of the region) Basque.

Via MtDNA, Britons seem somehow closer to Dutch or nearby people.

Via overall genetics (Cavalli-Sforza) they seem a mixture with no clear definition.

But I don't see the "Fino-Ugric" thing anywhere.

I don't think that the spread of modern Humans into Europe is "unsolved". It's pretty clear to me: they came from Western Asia, where you still can find very simmilar peoples.

The expansion of IEs is even more clear to me, as I have bothered to study the relatively complex late prehistory of Europe: IEs are original of the Volga-Ural basin (as far as we can tell) and expand in the following sequence:
  1. Ukraine/Don basin: c. 3500 (Serednij-Stog II)
  2. Eastern Germany and Poland: c. 3300 (Baalberge and others)
  3. First presence in the Eastern Balcans: c. 3100
  4. Consolidation in Central Europe and expansion to Scandinavia and Mid-Danubian basin: c. 2400 (Corded Ware)
  5. Greece and Anatolia: c. 2000-1600 (a little obscure yet)
  6. Western Europe (three main waves):
    1. Urnfields: c. 1300 (limited areas)
    2. Hallstatt: c. 700 much deeper (Iberian Celts, Italics)
    3. La Tne: c. 400-200 most of Britain and consolidation in Gaul
  7. Roman Empire: assimilation of most other pre-IEs (Etruscans, Iberians...)
There's little mystery if look at it carefully.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 02:25
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 01:53

Originally posted by Maju

Your "Baltic population" shows no continuity and is probably Neander.

According to the established expertise on Neanderthals they were basicly tropic/subtropic - and not able to survive (successfully)  under plain arctic conditions. This also corresponds with the archeological conclusions explaining their massive disapearance from Northern Europe during the beginning of the last glaciation  - some 30.000 yrs ago.

Thus the series of NEW, enigmatic discoveries along the arctic oceans - have established a new basis of facts and arguments, placing modern man in the Baltic and Barent regions already 40.000 years ago. We can't change that - without disqualifying the series of Russian, Finnish, Scandinavian, German and Anglo-American institutes that have participated in this research.  

Consequently we have to deal with the origin of the arctical cultures and populations of Eurasia - such as the Fenno-Ugrians and Pan-Europeans - in the ligth of these new facts.

This may eventually help the geneticans to explain their basic revelations of genetic stems and branches too. But they must be given ample time to get, comprehend and understand these discoveries - before they are able to revise the (principal) time-lines of the Eurasian populations. Consequently we cant use their present lack of understanding - about the refered discoveries - as an argument "against" the prescence and impact of this Balto-Barent population. We need to be counscious and honest about this, otherwise not even the brightest of logic won't help.

As the final and conclusive repports of these enigmata have arrived -these newly discovered populations of "Hyperboreans" HAVE to be taken into any equation trying to explain the origins of the first, arctic cultures of Northern Europe, Northern Asia and Northern America.  The reffered history of haplogroup X is yet again a new, strong indication of this relevance.

Originating in Northern Europe haplogroup X is today seen in two subgroups (X1 + X2).  X1 have spread eastwards, as far as Altai.  It's twin subgroup X2 appears only in the west - from NW Europe to the Alonquian and Obijiwa Indians of mid-west America,  where it is estimated to have arrived more than 10.000 years ago. Thus there is an amazing paralell between your "spread-chart" of haplogrou p H/V and the spread of haplogroup X.  Both showing the highest density - of the present demographics - in the area between the North Sea and the Baltics...

In 2001 the famous Dr. Thor Heyerdahl published his last book, where some of these results were elaborated.  In a retrospect to the "fundamentalistic" reactions from Scandinavian sceptics he responded; "Contrary to what many academians think, the history of Northern Europe is still far from completed.  But, with time, the truth of these matters will certainly prevail."  One year later we got the results from the European Genome Project (Richards, et al) stating that the present Scandinavians and the Basques BOTH still belong to the oldest genology of Europe, perceived as the "indigenous hunter-gatheres" that arrived already during the end of ice-time.  

Due to the present updates from European genetics (above) the major part of  the Anglo-Saxons and the Fenno-Ugrians seem to be part of that same origin. Faced with that concordiance between etnology, antropology and genetics we have to view both old and new archeological results in a sligthly new ligth. A principal novelty should not disturb anyone, as long as it is well documented and duely conceptualized. Not even when the alternative view may change our angle of perception with just about 180 degrees.  The only change that is implicated by that change is the question of WHERE and WHEN modern man entered Eurasia. An new ligth shedded on that old question should be most welcomed - since the roots of modern man in Europe and the consequent spread of Caucasians and Indo-European languages - are still unsolved. The Balto-Barent discoveries simply offers a new answer to the question of the EurAsian (or Caucasian) origin.  All other significant facts of Eurasian history still remains intact, relevant and valid...

Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 01:47

Docya,

What proof - where? Link?! 

Edited by Boreaz
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2006 at 00:36
Hi Beoeaz  I see we are back to that old debate of genetics.  I would not dought there were a group  of homo sapians trapped  in Finland in ice time, however as science has proven we are all of one speice that migated out of africa. Under the hommid skin , it is all pink and in losing the hair  it took the the rays for  the melllon to change in migration.DNA says we are not in relation to the Neanders, they were a branch just like lucy that died off.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2006 at 18:45
Hitler wouldn't have liked it... I suspect. But maybe others can recycle the idea: let's be wary about that. So far boneheads remain focused in old theories about races and have not yet grasped for the most part the concepts that are inside Genetics. Hitler would be disappointed to find out that Poles and Russians were probably more "Aryan" than Germans and that Germanics seem rather a mixed than a pure race... but well.

Actually some Basque nationalists used (in other times) claim to belong to a separate race. That's false: we are just a relatively pure clade of Western Europeans.

1. The origins of Basques are intrinsecally tied to those of early Europeans as a whole, at least regarding Western and Central Europe. The ultmate origin is not clear but it must be somewhere in West Asia (Central or SW Asia).

2. Your "Baltic population" shows no continuity and is probably Neander. Anyhow, the route of Aurignacian culture, which is probably that of H. Sapiens too, has the following landmarks:
  1. Bulgaria: a proto-Aurignacian (controversial?)
  2. Hungary: early full Aurignacian
  3. Aquitaine: typical western Aurignacian, co-existing for some time with Chatelperronian (believed Neanderthal)
Your "Baltic population" show no Aurignacian or even other evolved tools techs that correspond to H. Sapiens migration into Europe but rather much more primitive ones.

3. Agreed partly: Genetics doesn't say anything about races because races are a mental/sociological construct and nothing else. But it says a lot about ancestry.

While the color of eyes is a very doubtful hint about ancestry, the genes you carry, including those that may help to give you blue, green or black eyes, are necessarily (excluding new mutations) what your parents gave you. As there's a random factor in that genetic transmision that gradually excludes part of the genes of older ancestors, statistical studies are the best way to get a good idea of what do genes say. Also Y-chr and MtDNA haploid studies are interesting because those markers are not affected by recombination and therefore can only change with mutations (something very rare). Overall they do give us an idea of what groupings our ancestors could have formed. It's bio-archaeology.

I fully agree that geneticists often know little about archaeology and sometimes say nonsenses. But overall, their work is useful.

For instance, I don't agree with PC1 being considered "Neolithic" as Cavalli-Sforza did originally (more than 10 years ago). Actually it seems quite clear that it is a lot older. But PC4 (aka "Greek") could well have expanded with Neolithic instead. Of course, I base such alternative idea in both archaeology and logic applied to genetics: if Basques have it in large ammounts, then it's surely very old. If Basques don't have it but in token quantities, then it's surely new - at least in the SW. PC2 and PC4 are the ones that seem newest in Western Europe. But PC1 and PC3 show a normal cladistic distribution, not making any "island" in the Basque area, so they are surely very old - though migratons may have changed their distribution also.

I read that Cavalli-Sforza himself agrees now with this position.

Multiregional theories have suffered huge blows with the developement of Genetics. They were already very frail and the new findings all confirm the out-of-Africa theory, though blanks remain specially regading the pattern of distribution and branching. The fact that the studied Neanders show no relationship whatsoever with any living humans make it even more unlikely and confirm what we though we knew about them on archaeological grounds: that they volved locally in Europe and dissapeared under H. Sapiens pressure.

I'd rather keep the discussion about that isolated finding of te Baltic in merely archaeological terms: they are not older than Aurignacians and if they were still using Acheulean or Mousterian tools - they were no rival for our Aurignacian ancestors.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2006 at 01:25

To bad Hitler and his gang didnt get to understand that they actually were descendants of the Eusk-Arians...

---

1. What you call "Eastern" may very well be "Northern".  And thus - based on your theory - from who/where did the Eus-kar-ians originate?!

2. Since the Baltic population is at least 40.000 yrs old - they could very well be the origin of the coastal culture spreading south - to Biscay and beyond - first time already 35.000 yrs ago. How can you outrule that - principally?

3. Modern genetics doesn't say anything about races, because it can't. Thus it follows classic etnology/antropology - which have already defined the cathegories of etnicity - as well as the basic time-lines of hman evolution. Based on archeological results only.  Bio-molecular structures can tell something about division of genetical lines - in sub-groups. But it has NO way of defining TIME.

When Cavalli-Sforza, Pbo, Adams, et. al relates their discoveries to times and migrations - they borrow their entire frame-work (of the time-lines) from the classic THEORIES of modern archeology and etnology, supported by the cathegories of modern linguistics. Thus they are bound to folow the "Out of Africa-theory", - since there is no established alternative.

This gives the "genetical time-lines" a very scarce basis - with an obvious lack of integrity.  Thus we see that they may misintepretate their own data - from time to time. Moreover,  as the profession of genetics matures is have been starting to prove results that actually contradicts their borrowed points of views - as well. See the row of articles quoted above.

50 years ago our history books were still telling people that the "long-skulls" - being farmers, was "taking over Europe" in a "massive migration", at the expense of the "short-skulls"; the "more primitive hunter/gatherers" from old stone age. In the 1963 an American palentologist found some bones of an higher primate - in the Rift Valley. Thus we got the first POSSIBLE explanation to the origin of humankind. But still today - 43 years later - the "OoA-theory" is nothing but a hypothesis.  Valid, as an hypothesis - but far from completed - as a proven explanation. (Unless you mix some apples in with the oranges - to make the gradiants fit to an objected pattern...)

The multi-regional theory have an alltogether different way of dealing with time. (See K. Hirsts article, above). It keeps the possibility open for a very early, common origin - but states that the age of the various etninc groups (that some call races) - are much older than presumed and have been living in isolation - regionally - a lot longer than the OoA-theory may accept.  The many skulls and bones found, that exceeds both 100.000 and 1.000.000 years - seem to favour this hypothesis.

At the end of the day we still don't KNOW the exact answers to these questions - and modern genetics haven't even dealt with the fundamental issues of that question yet. Simply beacuse the mainstream antropologists have told them that Africa via Trans-Caucasia IS the origin of mankind, - as well as "modern man". Prof. Hawks is one of the first antropologists that have dealt with the new findings in the north - as a part of the discussion about the first populations of Europe. Thus I found it relevant to bring his basic views into this discussion. But - off course - I understand that you may choose not to relate to it. Staying ignorant is anyone's option.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 22:32
I couldn't care less about "political correctness" I think on my own that the concept of race is stupid: a-scientific an unreal. This is much more clear in the context of Europe, where any possible difference is obviusly insignificant

100 and maybe 50 years ago, people diverted themselves measuring skulls and the reflection of skin to light (in winter? in summer?) and deducing... nothing. Still they managed to invent a series of "races" or "anthropometric types" that had some appearence of reality.

Now we have genetics: they don't spell appearences but underlying realities. And where is the Nordic "race"? Nowhere.

I guess we all come from Biscaya, and have the Basques as the ideal reference group.

As far as we know Basques are a reference group in European genetics: this people gives a pretty homogeneous sample for all analysis and we find that the Basque pattern repeated in a (+/-) diluted form in Western Europeans specially but also in Central and Norhern Europeans and Italians as well.

Archaeology does not have one isolated and ultra-dubious finding in the "Basque" region (normally called Franco-Cantabric or Western European region) but thousands of all sorts. We know possitively that people dwelt here since 35,000 years back and that there is a direct line. Everything points to that.

That doesn't mean that all Paleolithics and therefore the ancestors of all modern Europeans were exactly the Basque type in all aspects. But it means that they were culturally and biologically very closely related. And that includes at least 50% of the ancestry of Danes and about 1/3 for the rest of Scandinavians (by male lineages) comes from those peoples. The rest must have come from Eastern Europe - though maybe some of what I understand as "Eastern" was already in Central Europe then - hard to tell.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 21:28

As you are aware. It is clear that such "important" discovery you always refer to refers to Neanderthal people. Just that you have a racist approach and need of burning nails like that to sustain your prejudiced vision.

Racist? What the heck is racistic with the sources I refer to?

It is rather pathologic that you keep clinging to such OFFENSES to defend your views.  YOU are the one keeping the RACIST view on these things - and its saddening to see that you still dont seem to understand the difference between reaction and response.

Your reactionary expressions have started to turn demagogic - which simply put YOU in the facists cathegory. If I were to relate to your kind of arguments I could easily state that you are suffering from the influence of false gods, devil-worship and other fanatic exercises...

Trying to repress good science with political/religous propaganda just doesn't make any real difference. But I must say it is both embarrasing and saddening to learn that you need to short-sell your arguments by accusing me - as a person - of such political views.  Everybody knowing me knows the case is quite the oposite. Which makes your unjust and unrightful accussations doble offensive. But I guess that is your techique of discussion, whenever you feel insecure about a matter.

But be my guest, Bully; just KEEP SHOUTING, INSULTING, OFFENDING, INCRIMINATING, ANTAGONIZING AND STIGMATIZING. Any view that doesnt corresond with your foggy model are obviously nothing but plain rubbish, utter garbage and downrigth bunk. Loosing sigth of TRUTH doesn't seem to bother you - as long as you get to be "rigth".  Even if you need to offend and stigmatize honest people, - you don't seem to mind - as long as you get to keep YOUR predjudice. You havent even notified that these predjudice are explained, already, as outdated beliefs.  

Then you turn to play politics - fine. Just don't disguise it in scientific forms, formats and forums.  There are a lot of other threads for that - you do NOT have to stigmatize this entire thread - and the question about the German origin - with that kind of dirty arguments and "educated" bluntness.  Wiki's readers should be warned - one of their self-nominated experts" obviously have a hidden agenda, behind his scientifical appearance. Sorry to say - but I am both embarrasad and agonized by your repetition of this weird, racial bias. 

Even if some modern humans would have gone through Scandinavia in that time, they would have abandoned it some centuries later. There's no continuity in that isolated site.

How do you "know"? Or are you better informed than the crews that did the jobs up there? How many of their full repports have you read?!

I may help you answer - because your argument gave you away already. On the other hand - cathing arguments and point of views out of thin air an nail-soup, fitting them to a "convincing" agenda, seem to be one of your talents. But again - this has northing to do with scientific thruth - however "convinced" you are. Deception often starts with self-deception.

I rather think, as you know, that blondisms are just something that is present among Caucasoids and possitively selected under some circumstances like those of the far North (or sociological racism). Yet the non-blond traits remain dominant for most populations.

That is what I call "a foggy model". Maybe "airy-fairy" is a better word. But I guess it may fit with your form of political correctness. Maybe we could simply settle the question of the origins of the Germans - or the Caucasioans in general - by a referendum?!

I'm bored of seeing syblings who look like Norwegian and Iraqui or things like that. All those types just lie in the genetic pool of Europeans and manifest themselves soemtimes in the less expected manners.

I guess we all come from Biscaya, and have the Basques as the ideal reference group.  And we do understand that YOU find that one entertaining and - consequently - other views to be "boring".

Please apologize me for misunderstanding your motives, ethics and values, for a moment. My guide-line for this and relevant discussions have always been to keep it free of sentiments and personal freelings - such as "likes" and "dislikes", "boring" and "entertaining".  Scientific research is most often hard work - and thus tentatively "boring".

Bringing up what location I happen to reside is another inuendo,  but - sorry again - completly missing its objected aim. Not to mention the ramafications of the German question.

Edited by Boreaz
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 17:11
Originally posted by Boreaz

Maju,

Good points - and according to the well established discoveries of modern archaology. 10 years ago I would agree - without much doubt, if any. But, as I already have tried to substantiate, today we have to count a few new, recent discoveries into the equation. Thus I - and a few more - have started to look at the 36.000 old population - of homo sapiens sapiens - that dwelled within the Baltics, from that time on...

As you are aware of already, the precise maps of the Eurasian glacials and inter-glacials of Eurasia are still in the process of reassesment and modifaction. After the complete documentation of the Wolf Cave (15.000 - 120.000 yrs BP) the need to revise the standard opinions are obvious. See repport above. 

As you are aware. It is clear that such "important" discovery you always refer to refers to Neanderthal people. Just that you have a racist approach and need of burning nails like that to sustain your prejudiced vision.

Even if some modern humans would have gone through Scandinavia in that time, they would have abandoned it some centuries later. There's no continuity in that isolated site.

I rather think, as you know, that blondisms are just something that is present among Caucasoids and possitively selected under some circumstances like those of the far North (or sociological racism). Yet the non-blond traits remain dominant for most populations.

I'm bored of seeing syblings who look like Norwegian and Iraqui or things like that. All those types just lie in the genetic pool of Europeans and manifest themselves soemtimes in the less expected manners.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 14:48

BETWEEN THE WOLF AND THE DOG

St. Petersburg , Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences
When performing archeological dig in the upper palaeolithic settlement called Eliseyevichi 1 in the Bryansk Region, Mikhail Sablin, Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, and Gennady Khlopachev, Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography, Russian Academy of Sciences (St. Petersburg), found two intact dogs' skulls. These are apparently the most ancient dogs' skulls known to researchers: they date back to 13 through 17 thousand years. The research has been financed via the Russian Foundation for Basic Research.
Send mail Scientist: M.V. Sablin , St. Petersburg

For additional information: msablin@yandex.ru
Photo, pictures: ">
Keywords:

The dog was the first animal domesticated by human beings. However, domestication took more than one step: people and dogs used to adjust to each other within numerous generations of coexistence.

Biochemical and genetic researches have proved quite definitely that the dog's ancestor was the big predatory wolf, but not its smaller relative - the omnivorous jackal. However, it is impossible to determine when human beings first domesticated the wolves, as their domestication could not be recorded in archeological materials. Only when primitive dogs started to reliably differ from their wild ancestors, it became possible to distinguish their bones from wolf's remains.

Not long ago a group of American geneticists (Vila et al. 1997) came forward with an assertion that the wolf domestication began more than 100 thousand years ago, nevertheless, palaeontologists and archaeologists feel skeptical about such dating. Even the most ancient dogs' remains date back to the paleolith, their age making about 14 thousand years; while their mass findings belong to the mesolite, which began in Europe approximately 10 thousand years ago. However, the overwhelming majority of finds are more ancient than 12 thousand years - they are primarily minor bone fragments that can tell little about the owner's life. In this context, the discovery of two intact dogs' skulls in the course of archeological dig in Eliseyevichi 1 settlement is of undoubted interest.

The dogs from Eliseyevichi 1 had lived in severe conditions of the ice age: their bones lie next to those of the mammoth, polar fox and reindeer. Their exterior reminded that of enormously big huskies, Tibetan mastiffs or Caucasian sheep dogs: their height at withers was as much as 70 centimeters! They were shorter and wider in the muzzle, than the contemporary huskies, this particular feature enabling to reliably distinguish the primitive dogs from wild wolves. The dog's short and wide muzzle apparently results from the so-called neoteny, i.e. adult individuals preserving features of the young. A similar process took place in the course of the human being's evolution: the flat face in contrast to the elongated muzzle of a chimpanzee or gorilla is the obvious indication of neoteny.

On the other hand, ancient people used often the dogs for cooking purposes. The sinciput of one of the skulls bears distinctive holes evidently made for extraction of the dog's brain for culinary purposes. Dogs' skulls with similar injuries can be often found in the settlements dating back to the late Stone Age and the Bronze Age, however this is the first evidence of such kind dating back to the upper palaeolith.

Evidently it was then, in the age of the upper palaeolith, that the conditions were established for the primitives and the wolves hunting for the same animals. This laid a good foundation for their symbiosis, i.e. mutually beneficial relations. The more so, as the social structure and some peculiarities of both species' behavior are rather similar. In ancient era the dog played a key role in improving human beings' hunting skills, and therefore, in establishing primeval engineering and culture.

Note; The discovery of a 10.300 yrs old dog-sledge in Finnish Carelia further tells that the old paleolittic population also used the dog for transportation.

http://www.informnauka.ru/eng/2003/2003-04-25-03_354_e.htm

Edited by Boreaz
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 05:00

Who colonized the European Arctic?

By John Hawks

I happened to cross an article by Pavlov and colleagues (2001) about the Mamontovaya Kurya site in the Russian Arctic.

From the abstract:
The transition from the Middle to the Upper Palaeolithic, approximately 40,000-35,000 radiocarbon years ago, marks a turning point in the history of human evolution in Europe. Many changes in the archaeological and fossil record at this time have been associated with the appearance of anatomically modern humans. Before this transition, the Neanderthals roamed the continent, but their remains have not been found in the northernmost part of Eurasia. It is generally believed that this vast region was not colonized by humans until the final stage of the last Ice Age some 13,000-14,000 years ago. Here we report the discovery of traces of human occupation nearly 40,000 years old at Mamontovaya Kurya, a Palaeolithic site situated in the European part of the Russian Arctic. At this site we have uncovered stone artefacts, animal bones and a mammoth tusk with human-made marks from strata covered by thick Quaternary deposits. This is the oldest documented evidence for human presence at this high latitude; it implies that either the Neanderthals expanded much further north than previously thought or that modern humans were present in the Arctic only a few thousand years after their first appearance in Europe.

An interesting start, that. The archaeology includes a mammoth tusk with marks that may be the result either of deliberate incision or of chopping of other material using the tusk as an anvil. The radiocarbon date of bones and the tusk range between 34,400 and 37,400 years ago.

There are no fossil humans at this site. The authors raise the issue of attribution, noting that the date of the site would mean that modern humans had expanded into the Arctic fringe very shortly after they appeared in Europe.

A pressing question is whether the pioneers who lived in these northern landscapes were members of the ancient Neanderthal population (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) or newcomers from the south. Most scholars associate the Aurignacian industry -- the more advanced stone-tool technology that appeared in Europe at around 40,000 yr BP -- with the emergence of modern humans. However, the earliest indisputable remains of humans with a fully modern morphology (Homo sapiens sapiens) date to 30,000-35,000 yr BP; that is, well after the archaeologically defined transition from the Middle to the Upper Palaeolithic. In European Russia, well preserved skeletons from the famous Palaeolithic site of Sungir, northeast of Moscow (Fig. 1), show that anatomically modern humans were present there not later than 28,000 yr BP. At the Kostenki IV site on the west bank of the Don river, bones of modern humans have been uncovered from strata dated to 30,000 yr BP. The stone-working technology reflected in the Byzovaya material is similar to that of Sungir and other early Upper Palaeolithic sites of the eastern Szeletien tradition, indicating that these artefacts were manufactured by modern humans. However, whether the person who inflicted the marks on the tusk from Mamontovaya Kurya, as much as 8,000-9,000 years earlier, belonged to the same human lineage as the residents at Byzovaya and other Palaeolithic sites further to the south is more uncertain (Pavlov et al. 2001:66-67, citations omitted).
They also relate the site extensively to the Byzovaya site in the preceding paragraph, noting the archaeology has been classified as "eastern Szeletien with Aurignacian traits" (66).

I remembered Szeletian as a Neandertal-associated "transitional" Upper Paleolithic industry, so I went on a bit of a search to see what the story actually is. The search is not finished yet, as there are some books to consult, but the short answer is that Szeletian means different things to different archaeologists. From Churchill and Smith (2000:75, citations in original):

Most of the various IUP [Initial Upper Paleolithic] cultures of Central and Eastern Europe that are characterized by leaf points have at one time or another been seen as regional variants of the Szeletian, a culture defined at Szeleta Cave in the Bukk Mountains of Hungary (Allsworth-Jones 1990a). Regional distinctions can be identified, however, and the possibility exists as well that the occurrence of leaf points in different regions may be the result, at least in some cases, of convergence (Allsworth-Jones 1990a). Regionally defined leaf-point cultures include the Brynzeny, the Gordineshty, and the Kostenki-Streletsian (Streletskaya) of the Russian Plain (Anikovich 1992), the Altmuhlian of southern Germany, the Jerzmanowician of eastern Germany and Poland, the Bohunician of the Czech Republic (in which leaf points are relatively rare, leading to suggestions that this industry should be considered as a development separate from the Szeletian: Svoboda 1998, 1990), and the Jankovichian (although this might be seen as a Middle Paleolithic industry with leaf points: Gabori-Csank 1990) and the Szeletian sensu stricto of Hungary (see Allsworth-Jones 1990a).
Whoa. At a glance, it sounds like like the Szeletian is defined by leaf points in about the same way that the Aurignacian is defined by split-base bone points, and is therefore just about as unitary -- in other words, it barely hangs together. Like I said, I'm working on understanding this better, but my predilection is to step away from the names and consider the possibility that the "Szeletian" really is a constellation of behaviors weakly if at all linked, and it therefore has no necessary link to biological differences between human populations.

The argument for the Szeletian being the product of the Neandertals is almost entirely based on the similarities between it and the earlier Micoquian industry. There are only two sites with human remains associated with Szeletian assemblages, and neither of these has been clearly shown to be Neandertal in anatomy (the sum total is four teeth from both sites) (Churchill and Smith 2000). The case for archaeological similarity, and the status of the Szeletian as a "transitional" industry, is presented by Valoch (2000):

The situation with the Szeletian is quite different. Even though it is also likely to have been produced by the Neanderthals, the stone industry differes from the Bohunician in completely lacking a Levalloisian component. Typological and technological analyses have shown that the archaic elements of the industry are Micoquian and reflect a technological complex that was widespread in Central Europe. However, the types characteristic of the Upper Palaeolithic are carinated and nosed scrapers and carinated burins -- shapes exclusive to the Aurignacian (Allsworth-Jones 1986, 1990; Oliva 1991, 1992; Valoch et al. 1993). The only type specific to the Szeletian -- the leaf point -- has its origin in the Micoquian. The genesis of such an industry can be explained in only two ways: either it developed as a result of spontaneous substrate evolution (i.e., Micoquian), in which case the different Aurignacian types developed in parallel or almost simultaneously and quite independently of the Aurignacian proper, or the Aurignacian had a share in the formation of the industry through some form of contact with the Micoquian. No other explanation appears viable today, although future studies may produce new information (Valoch 2000:625).

The argument for the eastern Szeletian being the product of modern humans apparently comes from the association with the remains at Sungir. Since these apparently are not necessarily the same cultural tradition as other Szeletian sites (despite the shared name), there seems not to be a conflict.

The implication that the far northern tier of Eurasia was occupied very early by modern humans is another piece of evidence consistent with the idea that the first modern Europeans came from the far north. This hypothesis proposes that the features that people spread into the Palearctic as a rather specialized adaptation, and may have exploited a niche available to highly mobile, long-limbed, and culturally sophisticated people. Ultimately, the eastern extreme of this population may have moved into Beringia and further to the New World.

A list of online resources related to the topic of Paleolithic occupation of the circumarctic is maintained at WorkingDogWeb, which I assume is related because of dogsleds?
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 04:40

Maju,

Good points - and according to the well established discoveries of modern archaology. 10 years ago I would agree - without much doubt, if any. But, as I already have tried to substantiate, today we have to count a few new, recent discoveries into the equation. Thus I - and a few more - have started to look at the 36.000 old population - of homo sapiens sapiens - that dwelled within the Baltics, from that time on...

As you are aware of already, the precise maps of the Eurasian glacials and inter-glacials of Eurasia are still in the process of reassesment and modifaction. After the complete documentation of the Wolf Cave (15.000 - 120.000 yrs BP) the need to revise the standard opinions are obvious. See repport above.

Edited by Boreaz
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2006 at 04:26
Originally posted by Odin

This Boreas guy is good for a laugh.

The only people who adhere to Multiregionalism nowdays are racists, and cranks like Wolpoff who ignore very good genetic evidence and instead rely on skelatal "evidence" that I consider a case of seeing what they want to see. Multiregionalism also goes against evolutionary biology and population genetics, The Old World was too big for pre-modern hominids to stay one species. The mtDNA found in Neandertal remains show that the African and Eurasian populations of H. heidelbergensis had already become isolated into  pre-Neandertal (in Eurasia) and pre-modern (in Africa) populations respectively by 500,000 years ago, the populations were reproductively isolated from then on.

The "mongoloid" features of the Sami don't seem that strong, prehaps their features are the result of thouroughly caucasian Finno-Ugric speakers migrating northward from central and eastern Europe at the end of the last ice age mixing with "mongoloid" arctic hunters and fishermen from Siberia (the same expansion of arctic people that gave rise to the Inuit, prehaps?).

Modern Germanic people are decendants of mesolithic Finnic people that "converted" to Indo-European religion, customs, and language. The sound shift known as Grimm's Law may be a result of Finnic speakers taking up Late PIE. Proto-Germanic also seems to have taken up a huge amount of Finnic vocabulary, king, knight, north, south, east, west, and sea, for example, all seem to be derived from Finnic languages (look up "Germanic Substrate Hypothesis" on Wiki for more info).

Thats a few biased comments - and a lofty theory. Have another check on the basic elements of Grimm*s law - and compare to the basic elements of Finnish and Swedish.

Then check - again - which language-stem is most close to the German - and you may get some logic out of it. Finally you may elaborate which language that derivated from the other - to get the directions of your map straigth, -  and somehow conjuring the reality of the present terrain...

Before you go on laughing about your own facistoid digressions you may enjoy the following;

The Early Upper Paleolithic Beyond Western Europe

By K. Kris Hirst

About 50,000 years ago, Neanderthals and anatomically modern Homo Sapiens shared the planet, and pretty much shared a lifestyle as well. They were probably primarily scavengers, primarily living in isolated groups, and had a relatively simple stone tool kit (Let me say right here, I'm oversimplifying, Debate over the Neanderthal lifestyle is beside the point here). 15,000 years later, only Homo sapiens was left, and a suite of what we today think of as modern human behaviors was in place. These behaviors included the manufacture of a wider variety of stone tools for specific purposes; the use of bone, ivory, and antler among other organic materials for making specialized tools; intergroup social behavior such as trading and communication; hunting strategies that targeted specific species including fish and other aquatic animals; and complex symbolic behavior--art in the form of cave paintings and figurines.

That much is apparent in the archaeological record. But how did it happen? What were the mechanisms that created such a monumental shift to turn hominid behavior into what we recognize as human?

Up until recently, researchers have been limited in their ability to answer these questions, because there simply wasn't a lot of information about the early Upper Paleolithic period outside of Europe and the Middle East. The new edited volume by Brantingham and colleagues presents data about over 100 new sites excavated outside of western Europe--and the data are remarkable. Collectively these articles show that progress towards modern behavior was different in different places, sometimes building on existing technologies, sometimes appearing suddenly, sometimes disappearing just as suddenly.

The prevailing theory, based on biological studies, is that called Out of Africa, that modern Homo sapiens evolved in subsaharan Africa and then colonized the rest of the planet. The competing theory, called Multi-regional Hypothesis argues that Homo sapiens evolved independently in several places around the planet. While Out of Africa fits the evolution of the physical components of Homo sapiens, neither Out of Africa nor Multiregional really fits the evolution of modern human behavior. In particular, the complex social behaviors we recognize as art were clearly part of the earlier, archaic repertoire.

The Early Upper Paleolithic Beyond Western Europe is a collection of articles based on a Society for American Archaeology symposium in 1999, and the papers are technical descriptions of the assemblages and interpretations of 110 sites in Russia, Siberia, the Caucasus, Asia, Mongolia, and China. An introduction and summary chapters are included, but, as a whole the book is pretty rough going for the non-specialist, and probably incomprehensible for all but the most dedicated amateur.

But I really cannot think of a more interesting, important study than the evolution of human behavior, and so for that reason alone, I have to give this book my highest recommendation for anybody willing to put in the work or interested in seeing the results (including artifact drawings) of such extensive investigations collected in one place.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------------------

Jeffrey Brantingham, Steven L. Kuhn, and Christopher W. Kerry (editors). 2004. The Early Upper Paleolithic Beyond Western Europe. University of California Press, Berkeley. 16 chapters, 248 pages, an exceptionally extensive bibliography and an index.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/paleoindian/fr/brantingham.h tm

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 14:47

Maju,

Good map - tx.

Now the picture may become more clear. Since the main amplitudes of H/V are (still!) found in NW Europe - where is it likely to expect that these first settlers originated?

The western Mediterranean (Spain) - The North Sea - or the Baltic Ocean?!

The Bay of Biscay: Southern France and parts of Northern Spain, from Provence to Asturias.

Alternatively, there's a second region: Central Europe, including the basins of Rhin, Upper and Middle Danub and Upper Elbe where a second most important human population dwelt.

The two groups were in close contact for most of the Paleolithic sharing:
  1. Aurignacian
  2. Partly Gravettian (though in the West it was replaced by Solutrean later)
  3. Magdalenian (descendent of Aurignacian)
  4. Epi-Paleolithic post-Magdalenian microlithism: first separated then reunified

PS: Do you have a similar projection of the Y*- spread?!

Nope. But you can check this map: http://www.geocities.com/littlednaproject/Y-MAP.GIF

Take also in account the not less important overall genetic Principal Components, which Cavalli-Sforza's team studied in the 90s: http://www.sitesled.com/members/racialreality/genetic_variat ion.html

If we follow this last one we have "like" 5 main populations intermixed with centers in Iraq (PC-1), Lappland (PC-2), Don Basin (PC-3), Greece (PC-4) and the Basque Country (PC-5). While the Iraqui PC is often dubbed as "Neolithic", in fact it's much more likely that it is Paleolithic in origin. PC-3 could also be pre-IE. After all both PCs are relatively high among Basques, who otherwise are almost purely themselves, serving as control group. PC-2 and PC-4 though are clearly reduced among Basques specifically, what makes them good candidates to be associated to post-Paleolithic migrations. I associate "Greek" PC-4 with Neolithic expansion and "Uralic" PC-2 partly with IE one (but PC-3 is more strongly associated here).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 02:58

Maju,

Good map - tx.

Now the picture may become more clear. Since the main amplitudes of H/V are (still!) found in NW Europe - where is it likely to expect that these first settlers originated?

The western Mediterranean (Spain) - The North Sea - or the Baltic Ocean?!

(Btw.: I never said the Northerns were "different".  I have been suggesting that  the proto-Caucasian came - "ready made" - out of the Baltics, spreading througout the basicly empty part of arctic/sub-arctic Eurasia.  Looking at the massive and rapid spread of the first Eurasians we have to admit that only an incredibly well adapted fishing/gathering  could exist in the cold and completly barren landscapes that met the first Europeans at the end of ice-time. Moreover they must have had a well developed boat-culture, to produce the massive and rapid spread now documented - reaching the Brittish and the Feroe Isles, and possibly eastern America - as well as Spain, Middle Europe, Caucasia and the greater Russia - some 10.000 years ago. Your gene-map is pretty consistent with those "waves"...!) 

PS: Do you have a similar projection of the Y*- spread?!

Edited by Boreaz
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 11:35
Genetic MtDNA testing has been done on Paleolithic hunter-gatherers, at least in my country (Basque Country), determining that people carried H or V, which are exactly what they (basically) carry now. The H+V haplogroup (H, V and pre-HV) is clearly dominant in all Europe. H alone is 50% of all Europeans.

Again you can see that Nordics are not different. Lapps (Saami) clearly are though.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 05:22

There areone Great Expert presenton this thread. He is also the superior when it comes to fanning crap. But that doesnt matter for him - as long as he gets the last word - or the biggest applaus, from the mob.

This whole thread is turning a little too vitriolic and tiresome.

Edited by edgewaters
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 02:53
Neolithic Inhabitants of the Northern Forests

From the Baltic to the Urals stretches a belt of forests and swamps, crossed by many rivers, which long formed a shelter for hunters and fishers, while the steppes to the south were overrun by successive groups of farmers and pastoral nomads from the earliest Neolithic until modern historical times. This northern cultural backwater forms environmentally a westward extension of the vast Siberian expanse of tundra and taiga; since early pre-Slavic days it has been the home of various tribes of Finns, some of whom once led, on European soil, a life much like that of the Siberian Ostiaks and Voguls of recent centuries.

In the Neolithic time-expanse, in the general European sense, the inhabitants of these forests lived by hunting and stream-fishing, in a manner reminiscent of their Maglemose predecessors. A few cultural innovations filtered northward from the agricultural lands, and among these was pottery, decorated by comb-impressions and other characteristic marks which render it easy to identify.

Within the last few years there has been much discussion about this combed pottery, for it has been found in a more or less continuous band from Finalnd across Russia into Siberia, and then again at various points across the northern forest region of North America to the Atlantic.

A school is rapidly forming which believes that this type is circumpolar and boreal, non-agricultural and associated with the hunting and fishing peoples of the entire north. An impressive roster of archaeological authorities, including Kossina, Ailio, and Childe, believes that in Europe it was associated with an early Finno-Ugrian forest people, the direct ancestors of the various Finnish groups of today.

The skeletal evidence from the Neolithic of this forest belt, while not abundant, is sufficient to show that racial uniformity did not characterize this widespread cultural province. Fifteen crania from the Neolithic of the shores of Lake Ladoga93 are almost equally divided into two types; a normal South Russian dolichocephal, presumably of the extreme long-headed type, with narrow face and nose; and a mesocephal which does indeed have a Finnish appearance in the modern sense. Skulls of the latter type are characterized by low orbits, short, broad noses, and wide faces, which as individual examples exceed the accompanying brain case in width.

The face and head form bears a certain Cr-Magnon-like implication, and may indeed indicate descent from some eastern Upper Palaeolithic form as yet undiscovered.

At Salis Roje, in Livonia on the Gulf of Riga, another collection of thirty-one Neolithic crania is even more varied. This includes not only the types present at Lake Ladoga, but also a short-statured, brachycephalic form, with a long face, slight prognathism, high orbits, and a broad nose. Morphologically, there is said to be a mongoloid appearance to these crania. This adds, therefore, a third element to the northern forest population during the Neolithic.

Farther to the east, at Volosovo on the bank of the Oka River, a sub-brachycephalic skull from the same cultural horizon would apparently fit into the Finn-like Ladogan category.95 Across the Urals in Siberia, the essentially European character of the Comb-Pottery people comes gradually to an end. A female skull from Bazaiha in the Krasnoyarsk district resembles the Salis Roje brachycephalic type, but has a narrow, prominent nose. This specimen has been likened to a form typical of modern Turko-Tartar women. Farther to the east, one encounters a hyperbrachycephalic, fully mongoloid skull from Kokui on the Transbaikal railroad, and beyond that the extensive and carefully studied Neolithic series from Lake Baikal, the main type of which Debetz finds identical with the crania of modern Tungus.

In summarizing this material, we shall not dispute the opinion of the archaeologists who have concerned themselves with this special field that the participants in the comb-ceramic hunting and fishing culture of northern Russia and the forests to either side were the cultural ancestors of some, at least, of the modern Finno-Ugrian-speaking peoples. But the racial aspect of the problem is far from simple; at least three elements were present; an extremely long-headed Mediterranean form with southern connections; a Cr-Magnon-like broad-faced, low-orbitted mesocephal, filling most closely the requirements of an ideal modern Finnish type; and a small-statured brachycephal with a long face and high orbits, which in some instances is at least partly mongoloid. As will be seen later, the sub-brachycephalic element in the Danubian population was probably related to these non-Mediterranean forest types.

Notes:
92. Childe, V. G., "Adaptions to the Postglacial forest on the North Eurasiatic Plain," in McCurdy, G. G., Early Man.
93. Bogdanov, A. P., 1882; from Saller, K., AAnz, 1925.
94. Virchow, R., ZFE, vol. 9, 1877, p. 412. Also, Saller, K., AAnz, 1925.
95. Pavlov, A., RAJ, vol. 16, 1927, p. 56. See also Ouvarov, A. S., Archaeologie de la Russie.
96. Dus, AF, vol. 1, 1923, pp. 72-78. Also, Saller, K., AAnz, 1925.
97. Dus, ibid.
Saller, ibid.
98. Debetz, G., RAJ, vol. 19, 1930, pp. 7-50.

http://www.snpa.nordish.net/chapter-IV13.htm
Boreaz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Boreaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2006 at 02:46
British Have Changed Little Since Ice Age, Gene Study Says

James Owen,
National Geographic
July 19, 2005

Despite invasions by Saxons, Romans, Vikings, Normans, and others, the genetic makeup of today's white Britons is much the same as it was 12,000 ago, a new book claims.

In The Tribes of Britain, archaeologist David Miles says around 80 percent of the genetic characteristics of most white Britons have been passed down from a few thousand Ice Age hunters.

Miles, research fellow at the Institute of Archaeology in Oxford, England, says recent genetic and archaeological evidence puts a new perspective on the history of the British people.

"There's been a lot of arguing over the last ten years, but it's now more or less agreed that about 80 percent of Britons' genes come from hunter-gatherers who came in immediately after the Ice Age," Miles said.

These nomadic tribespeople followed herds of reindeer and wild horses northward to Britain as the climate warmed. "Numbers were probably quite smalljust a few thousand people," Miles added.

These earliest settlers were later cut off as rising sea levels isolated Britain from mainland Europe. New evidence for the genetic ancestry of modern Britons comes from analysis of blood groups, oxygen traces in teeth, and DNA samples taken from skeletal remains.

Ice Age hunter-gathers also colonized the rest of northwest Europe, spreading through what are now the Netherlands, Germany, and France. But Miles said differences between populations can be detected in random genetic mutations, which occurred over time.

The most visible British genetic marker is red hair, he added. The writer Tacitus noted the Romans' surprise at how common it was when they arrived 2,000 years ago.

"It's something that foreign observers have often commented on," Miles said. "Recent studies have shown that there is more red hair in Scotland and Wales than anywhere else in the world. It's a mutation that probably occurred between 8,000 and 10,000 years ago."

Stonehenge Manpower

Britain's population in the late Stone Age may have much been larger than historians once supposed. For instance, scientists have calculated that it would have taken around 30 million hours to create Stonehenge.

"By the time Stonehenge was built you'd had about a thousand years of farming," Miles said. "The population's expanding, and people are getting together to form big labor forces to put up these big public buildings."

Population estimates based on the size and density of settlements put Britain's population at about 3.5 million by the time Romans invaded in A.D. 43.

Many historians now believe subsequent invaders from mainland Europe had little genetic impact on the British.

The notion that large-scale migrations caused drastic change in early Britain has been widely discredited, according to Simon James, an archaeologist at Leicester University, England.

"The gene pool of the island has changed, but more slowly and far less completely than implied by the old invasion model," James writes in an article for the website BBC History.

For the English, their defining period was the arrival of Germanic tribes known collectively as the Anglo-Saxons. Some researchers suggest this invasion consisted of as few as 10,000 to 25,000 peoplenot enough to displace existing inhabitants.

Analysis of human remains unearthed at an ancient cemetery near Abingdon, England, indicates that Saxon immigrants and native Britons lived side by side.

"Probably what we're dealing with is a majority of British people who were dominated politically by a new elite," Miles said. "They were swamped culturally but not genetically."

Genetic Continuity

"It is actually quite common to observe important cultural change, including adoption of wholly new identities, with little or no biological change to a population," Simon James, the Leicester University archaeologist, writes.

One such change is the emergence of a Celtic identity in Britain. There are no historical references to Celts in ancient Britain.

Miles explained that "Celts" was a name applied to tribes in Gaulmodern-day Francethough their language shared the same root as those spoken by British tribes.

"In the 18th and 19th centuries, as Ireland, Wales, and Scotland started to assert national identity, they began to talk about themselves as Celts," Miles added.

Miles acknowledged that the techniques used to explore genetic ancestry are still in their infancy and that many more samples are needed to fully understand the origins of the British people.

"By mapping the genetic variability of humans around the world, geneticists can begin to track their dispersal, migrations, and interrelationships," Miles writes.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/0719_050719_ britishgene_2.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>