Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War on Iraq

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War on Iraq
    Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 10:25
Originally posted by hugoestr

What is your point, Dark Age? To make Bush and his collaborators look like liars?

There's a difference between being a liar and being incompetent.  I believe they are the latter, although American politicians are rarely trustworthy.

The point is I don't have to "make them" look like anything.  They bury themselves with their own words.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 19:15
I don't know if they are liars or just inept at everything except ignoring expert opinion.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 18:30
What is your point, Dark Age? To make Bush and his collaborators look like liars?
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 15:42
25 Official Statements About Iraq

1) "My answer is bring 'em on." President George W. Bush, challenging militants attacking U.S. forces in Iraq, July 2, 2003

2) "I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency." --Vice President Dick Cheney, on the Iraq insurgency, June 20, 2005

3) "As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time." Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, responding to a U.S. soldier serving in Iraq who asked him why troops had to dig through scrap metal to armor vehicles, Dec. 8, 2004

4) "My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators." Vice President Dick Cheney, "Meet the Press," March 16, 2003

5) "F**k Saddam, we're taking him out." President Bush to three U.S. Senators in March 2002, a full year before the Iraq invasion

6) "Ladies and gentlemen, these are not assertions. These are facts, corroborated by many sources, some of them sources of the intelligence services of other countries." Secretary of State Colin Powell, testifying about Iraq's chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons capabilities before the United Nations Security Council, Feb. 5, 2003

7) "Freedom's untidy, and free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things." Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on looting in Iraq after the U.S. invasion, adding "stuff happens," April 11, 2003

8) "Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." President Bush, standing under a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the USS Lincoln aircraft carrier, May 2, 2003

9) "It's hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide stability in post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war itself and to secure the surrender of Saddams security forces and his army. Hard to imagine." Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, testifying before the House Budget Committee prior to the Iraq war, Feb. 27, 2003

10) "From a marketing point of view, you don't roll out new products in August." --White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card, on why the Bush administration waited until after Labor Day to try to sell the American people on war against Iraq, "New York Times" interview, Sept. 7, 2002

11) "We found the weapons of mass destruction." President Bush, in an interview with Polish television, May 29, 2003

12) "Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be somewhere!" President Bush, joking about his administration's failure to find WMDs in Iraq as he narrated a comic slideshow during the Radio & TV Correspondents' Association dinner, March 25, 2004

13) "We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat." Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, when asked about weapons of mass destruction in an ABC News interview, March 30, 2003  

14) "British intelligence has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.  Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production." President Bush, 2003 State of the Union Address  

15) "Already, the Kay Report identified dozens of weapons of mass destruction-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations." President Bush, 2004 State of the Union Address

16) "It's a slam-dunk case!" CIA Director George Tenet, discussing WMD and the case for war during a meeting in the Oval Office, Dec. 21, 2002

17) "I think the burden is on those people who think he didn't have weapons of mass destruction to tell the world where they are." White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, July 9, 2003

18) "The truth is that for reasons that have a lot to do with the U.S. government bureaucracy, we settled on the one issue that everyone could agree on, which was weapons of mass destruction, as the core reason." --Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, "Vanity Fair" interview, May 28, 2003

19) "We don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud." National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, on Iraq's nuclear capabilities and the Bush administration's case for war, Sept. 8, 2002

20) "Had we to do it over again, we would look at the consequences of catastrophic success, being so successful so fast that an enemy that should have surrendered or been done in escaped and lived to fight another day." President Bush, telling Time magazine that he underestimated the Iraqi resistance, Aug. 2004  

21) "We know he's been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons, and we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons." Vice President Dick Cheney, "Meet The Press" March 16, 2003

22) "I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the Iraqis had nuclear weapons." Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, June 24, 2003

23) "In Iraq, a ruthless dictator cultivated weapons of mass destruction and the means to deliver them.  He gave support to terrorists, had an established relationship with al Qaeda, and his regime is no more." Vice President Dick Cheney, Nov. 7, 2003

24) "I am not going to give you a number for it because it's not my business to do intelligent work." --Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, asked to estimate the number of Iraqi insurgents while testifying before Congress, Feb. 16, 2005

25) "Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties." President Bush, discussing the Iraq war with Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson, after Robertson told him he should prepare the American people for casualties 
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 14:47

Now this is getting interesting =)

No, it's gotten boring. This is my final reply. In fact, I have written more than enough already. Everything is up there for the careful reader.

So, *why* do you press ahead with a hard-fast, black-white type policy, even though you're aware it could very well cause more damage in the long run, not less?  Why not fully accept the implications of indeterminacy?

Inaction is not an implication of indeterminacy. Different people need different amounts of information to make up their minds. I think we roughly have the same amount of information, for me that's enough. For you it is not enough. OK, it's your problem, not mine.

When forced to, yes. You're not in Iraq. You're not in the American administratoin.

I don't wait to be forced to make up my mind, or to act. I am at a loss of words to describe your defeatism re the american administration. But that's liberal democracy isn't it? If I disagree with the government, I try to change things. You can wait for the next elections, and vote for the imperialist-lite party, and hope that they will change things...

Around 80-90% of people, globally, probably believe in a 'higher power', too. But you and i know thats (most likely) due to their deep-rooted psychological need to delude themselves as to how the world works. Truth is not always found in the herd. Im sure youre aware of this.

You say you are sure that I am aware of what you are saying, but you miss my point by a mile.

That quote starts with, 'I'll put morality aside' which means 'let's say it is irrelevant if the war is right or wrong'. And THEN I tell you 90% of the world thinks one way, which is great opportunity for a political agent with the same opinion. They have an issue with 90% support. There are many political issues on which the population is divided 40% - 60%, but not that many on which the population is divided 90% - 10%.

90% support doesn't make an issue morally right, but it makes it a political opportunity.

I dont even need to get into how many people 'communism' killed in the USSR and China, largely due to a few ideologues' blind faith in an imagined ideal.

Stalin did not kill people because of his faith in an ideal, he killed them because they were political opponents (most often better communists than he is), dissenters, etc. For real, practical reasons.

Probably because youre not used to thinking this way. But, believe me, human perceptions and actions are hugely dependent on our situation and perceived identity/kinship-ties.

It was funny for me, because when I ask you 'what do YOU think' (obviously asking your personal opinion with capitals and all) you go 'well, depends if I am a neo-con or an Iraqi...' I had to resort to addressing you in third person, until you got I was talking to you! 

So.... just to be clear... based on your understanding of this highly complex situation, youve decided opposing US occupation by supporting any and all of the various insurgent/opposition groups is clearly the best moral choice?

I don't support any and all resisters, I agree with their right to blow up occupiers, not each other. Otherwise, yes.

OK.  If so, justify that to me without using blatantly borrowed ideological arguments. Justify it to me as one concerned human being to another.

What is your problem with borrowing arguments? Is this an avantgard creative-writing exercise? If an argument is right, I will 'borrow' it even from the enemy. Unlike you I don't believe that I 'think independenly'. Nobody does. You either know where your ideas come from or you don't and imagine you are an independent thinker.  

My understanding is that US presence in Iraq is the principal cause of the Iraqi suffering, removing them will be the best for everyone in the short and long term. Imperialists think US presence is a stabilising factor, and it should continue, they also think this is better for everyone. You are not sure if it is stabilising or not, and say it should continue at least for the time being.

Oh.   Really?   I didnt say you were aware of it.  =)

And I never said you are aware that you are an Arab-hater. 

So you're only saying these things to fulfill a pre-prescribed role, and so that people will find you believable, regardless of the validity of your argument?  Do you really mean to say that?

People are smart, they can figure out themselves whether my arguments are valid or invalid. My aim is to show them that such arguments exist.

..i suspect that you're beginning to, very reluctantly, look inward at your own motivations... but are unfamiliar with what you're seeing, and are giving confused answers as a result...

And I suspect you are beginning reluctantly to realise that you are an Arab-hater, and being unfamiliar with it, giving confused answers...

Look, you'll see it when I put it this way: On Iraq, you say that you can't make up your mind because it is very complex, and you don't have enough information on it. When it comes to my motives, you claim you know them better than I do. Is human psychology not complex? How much information do you have on me? Leave me aside, how much do you know about Beylerbeyi, who is not me, but merely my persona on this particular forum? For all you know, Beylerbeyi could be a psychological propaganda operation, and what it writes could be produced by a team, just like Stanislaw Lem.

Maybe you (subconsciously?) value your self-described identity as a 'political operative' above a pursuit of the truth... or an acceptance of the difficulty in determining the 'truth'.

Tut mir leid Herr Freud, but sometimes cigars are just cigars.

Ah... now we're getting somewhere.   What *is* the optimal condition for you... and, more importantly, why?

'Least harmful' is negative. How about a more positive/constructive aim?Also, what could be least harmful in the short run can be the most harmful in the long run. This condition is severly affected by your beloved uncertainty.

Im not. Im using his quotes to make the case for humility in one's moral judgments.

He would be on my side if he read this argument, and angry that you are using his words for your ends. You'd better pick quotes from Churchill or Hitler or such people.

If you were to say "i have no idea what course of action will be best in the long run, but, given the information i have at the moment, i think choice A is most advisable for the following reasons: B, C, D, E, etc..."

I have discussed the Iraq issue in detail before. You can find it in the archives.

I consider the former Ba'ath party to have been fairly facist. To my knowledge, many Ba'ath loyalists (most of whom are also Sunnis) are engaged in the insurgency, along with numerous other groups,  each with a slightly different agenda.

Baath wasn't/isn't fascist. In any case, majority of the Iraqi resistance is not islamist or fascists. You can see that violence reduces during even fake elections. In real elections without Americans, with real parties and governments, violence would be less.

You seem to be saying that, back in the late 1970s, i should have supported Khomeini and his cadre, just because they too, along with the Communist Tudeh party, wanted to overthrow the Shah.  But, I could have supported the communists' agenda, without supporting a mass mobilization on religious grounds, and thus not have been responsible for the Islamic Revolution and the subsequent imposition of a brutal theocracy, in place of a brutal monarchy.  The subtleties matter!!

Khomeini was better than the Shah. You need not support Khomeini, but you should oppose the Shah (if you claim to be anti-imperialist). I don't support Al Qaeda, but I oppose the US.

Hahah. Wtf? I think they're all pretty much 'normal'... Whats that supposed to mean?

US media (and you) tell us that the resistance is formed by foreign islamists and fascists. They portray the defenders this way to criminalise and marginalise them. I say that the resisters have a right to fight against imperialist occupation. In fact, the resisters are people like you and me  (ok, maybe not you, but just me and most of the people in this forum) who would fight against imperialist occupation. People like us, i.e. 'normal' people.

It means making an utmost effort to reflect on my own opinions, and why i hold them, rather than blindly repeat and advocate those of others.

I know where my opinions come from and why I hold them. Possibly better than you do, given that I don't have 'independent thinking' fantasies. You are the one repeating the dogmas of Western media's coverage of Iraq war, calling Iraqi resistance are 'fascists and islamists', and US military presence is a stabilising factor...

If *forced* to make a decision for the US (as in, if someone put a gun to my head), i'd probably say, "yes, the US should withdraw, preferrably doing all they can to safeguard the future fate of the Iraqi civilians... but im only saying this because you have a gun to my head... i dont have much confidence in this judgment, and would have preferred to remain neutral on the issue until privy to more details."

As I wrote before, I don't see much difference between 'neutral' people and Rumsfeld. Anyway, can you give me an idea, then, how many more years do you think you liberal sissies need until you realise that US needs to leave Iraq?

Alternatively, id like to hear what a majority of Iraqis want. I think they're (likely) in a better position to quantify/predict their current and future suffering, given a series of possible scenarios, than i am. I would most likely defer to them.

Even members of the puppet government said US should remove the troops... 

SA. But saying SA therefore supports Al Qaeda is like saying the Spanish govt therefore supports ETA.  Ibn laden wants to see the collapse of the Saudi government.

The point is Al Qaeda doesn't have support in Iraq, but it has in SA. SA support to Al Qaeda is well documented.

Even if that meant more death and destruction than a fracturing of current borders? Why?

Don't make up 'even if's. I don't want to divide ME any further because the reason it is divided and being divided further is to allow the imperialists to rule it easier. Just like they are dividing Iraq into Shia, Kurds, Sunnis...

Interesting. Which ones and why?

Ideally Syria, Iraq, Lebanon, Palestine, Israel and Jordan should join together. At least get rid of travesties such as Lebanon, Palestine, Israel, and Jordan. Kuwait and Emirates and others could also be joined together with the SA, since the British ceated these petrol-stations ee sorry, nations.  

Excellent point.   Let me be clearer:  if you think you can stop a greater suffering, by inflicting a lesser one... do it.  Just be sure. I want to hear how you arrived at your conclusion/quantification.

We can never be sure. Especially of the long term. It is simply impossible. So according to you, we should never act.

Good. Why? ... Moreover, is your identity as a 'communist' more important than whether communist logic forces you to espouse an unsubstantiated or immoral view?

If I thought that communists were supporting something that I found immoral or unsubstantiated, I would not have called myself a communist, or I would have mentioned that exception.

BINGO.   Thanks for being candid. ... So, Beylerbeyi, whats the purpose and, more importantly, why does that purpose take precedent over the accuracy of your (stated) views?

It doesn't take precedent. You are confusing style and content. I make up my mind, and I present them in a calculated manner.

Yes, of course. Thats essentially been my point.  My question to you is, why are you committed to that political agenda?  Moreover, why is your committment to that agenda more important for you than making an accurate statement? Im sure you have good reasons. Id like to hear them.

Let's imagine you (i.e. Halevi) have come to the same conclusion with me, that US presence in Iraq is adding to the Iraqi suffering. You don't need to be left wing, but let's say, like me you believe that people should act for just political causes, and not stay silent. Let's say that you have some idea of the basics of political discourse and propaganda.

What would you have written?

Edited by Beylerbeyi
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 09:38

Glad that you responded. Not to take away from the topic at hand, I will keep my response short and sweet.

Seems to be a few issues here. By searching for a fitting description of the word delusion we can better understand the impact of that word. Since we do not have a final say in the unltimate truth (whatever that means) we tend to catagorize things in order for us to make sense out of them. Sometimes compartmentalizing people lumps those of similar thought into ill defined catagories.

Originally posted by Halevi

You've completely misunderstood me. The need is not delusional... the need is a totally natural product of our highly developed brains, given the often perceived unfriendliness/indifference of the the universe ... needing to reconcile this reality in a reassuring way is absolutely the norm

Delusional or not. This is a subjective rating that you choose to employ. Plus, who says that the need for a higher power is natural? How did you come to that conclusion?

Again, delusion could be exchanged for a more fitting term such as belief or faith. It is a voluntary act and not an endogenous feature of humans!

Obviously you have shown the capacity to think outside of the box. Many of us have actually done so on various topics. That kind of unique perspective gives good food for thought. You have my recognition and appreciation for that!

Truth is something worth searching for. Whether those from the 'herd' or those outside of the 'herd' understand it is another question. Yet to seemingly say that truth is not always found in the 'herd' can be countered with the opposite saying that truth is not always found in the fringe either. One's observations or bias towards groups of people has much to say about the observer's judements.  The reality of any group is open to analysis. Since groups are made of individual thinkers, one could also try to define and understand the individual component too.

Lastly, the word, aware, is constantly evolving. It is not static. People just don't have awareness one day and keep it for life. You work at it. I think we are both 'aware' of this. Anyone with self reflection could practice this valuable art.

I'm really not sure if this anwers any concerns you have. I gave it a shot form the perspective I have.

Ps, Hope you don't mind my interruption of your discussion on the war in Iraq. Introjecting my two cents worth is fun though finicky. I did this with a sense of comfort and relaxation as well.

Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 04:07
Originally posted by Seko

Now that you have explained your desire for a heightened sense of self awareness, lets leave the analysis of most forumers out of this.

Sure, shoot...

Compartmentalizing others as to 'how the world works' is a convenient way to label people.

Not quite sure what you mean here, but im interested, so please elaborate if you dont mind...

Saying that people have 'deep rooted' psychological needs for incorporating a higher power into their belief system in order to understand the world they live in sounds ludicrous when you call that need 'delusional'.

You've completely misunderstood me. The need is not delusional... the need is a totally natural product of our highly developed brains, given the often perceived unfriendliness/indifference of the the universe ... needing to reconcile this reality in a reassuring way is absolutely the norm

The question is how we go about making that reconciliation... it almost invariably involves some sort of self-delusion (belief in a god/reincarnation/etc are just some examples... there are plenty more... we atheists engage in this too, in different ways... eg trying to bulid up our own significance/deny our mortality, trying to assign some moral meaning to the universe, even though there isn't any, etc. ... don t take it so personally, Seko!)

... also, just because we practice self-delusion (some to a greater, or less self-aware, extent than others) doesn't make us 'crazy' or 'stupid' etc. ... Its just a revealing insight into how humanity tends to deal, psychologically, with the challenges of the world.   Relax, Seko.   Its okay.

A better wording would be to call such a belief as 'faith', not delusion. Plus, this wording does not have the mental disorder connotation affiliated with it.

I'm using the following definition of 'delusion': "a false belief or opinion."  No more, no less. Relax, dude ... im not making a personal attack on your state of 'mental health'.

So, back to the topic, if i dont have 'faith' in the same belief as you, to me, it's (most likely) a 'delusion'. Pure and simple.

Once again, that doesnt  mean youre crazy or mentally challenged, in my books.

For instance, I believe, to a pretty high degree, that there is absolutely no meaning or purpose to the universe, apart from what we subjectively ascribe to it.

I also doubt there was a 'beginning' or an 'end' to existence.

I think these are just examples of how our human brain cannot easily comprehend concepts it was not evolutionarily pressed to comprehend. 

I have 'faith', if you will, in the ultimate meaninglessness of everything, and that our need to proscribe 'meaning' and 'purpose' is just an interesting byproduct of the evolutionary process.

I bet you don't agree. (Maybe you do! Which would be awsome... but i doubt it...)

Feel free, therefore, to call my belief a 'delusion'. I dont care.

I think im right... although i dont, and cant, know for sure.  Im okay with that. ... once again... relax dude...  why do you think your gut reaction is to get so defensive?

Without examining the numerous variables that may or may not lead to delusional ideations, generalizing a group of believers as being a lowly 'herd' is also an insufficient description for those who believe in a 'higher power'.

I didnt use the word 'lowly'.  You added that in there.   Im a part of a herd, too, Seko. I abide by cultural norms... im susceptible to feelingl shame and guilt, etc, and succumbing to social pressure. I try to be as aware of this as possible, since ive realized that blindly following the group without reflection often leads people to do and believe some pretty silly things.... but i do, nonetheless, think we're all prone to group-think and group-action at a certain level.  Its just.... easier.  

Perhaps what you meant to say was that the "majority are not always right".

That's an equally valid phrasing. If you prefer that, i'll use it from now on when speaking with you. Im not out on this forum to purposefully offend anyone... im just not out here to *avoid* offending anyone either. Im out here to express my views.

However, this phrase is also too simplistic since it does not take into account the possibility that some of the majority may be very aware of their thoughts and the effects their beliefs have on their thought structure..  

Great! Good for them. Really.   Care to elaborate?

"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 19:33

Now that you have explained your desire for a heightened sense of self awareness, lets leave the analysis of most forumers out of this. Compartmentalizing others as to 'how the world works' is a convenient way to label people. Saying that people have 'deep rooted' psychological needs for incorporating a higher power into their belief system in order to understand the world they live in sounds ludicrous when you call that need 'delusional'. A better wording would be to call such a belief as 'faith', not delusion. Plus, this wording does not have the mental disorder connotation affiliated with it.

Without examining the numerous variables that may or may not lead to delusional ideations, generalizing a group of believers as being a lowly 'herd' is also an insufficient description for those who believe in a 'higher power'. Perhaps what you meant to say was that the "majority are not always right". However, this phrase is also too simplistic since it does not take into account the possibility that some of the majority may be very aware of their thoughts and the effects their beliefs have on their thought structure..  

Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 09:14

I did notice an explaination towards many things psychological from our pseudo Socrates though, as evident from the quote above and other previous diagnostic claims. Basically when someone has a strong conviction they are lacking in psychological maturity according to our wise sage.

Aha. I never said that. In fact, predisposition towards having strong, unquestioned convictions is, arguably, evolutionarily adaptive. People like me are a rare oddity, likely destined to the wastebasket of human biological history. Unless we go around using our lack of blind conviction to seduce many many women.  I dont consider myself any more or less psychologically mature than you, Seko. Only, perhaps, more introspective and self-critical. Perhaps.

Deluded even!

We all practice self-delusion. We pretty much have to in order to function. Its just a matter of degree, and of our awareness/humility regarding this fact.

Truly a significant criteria for schizophrenia.

That's only at the extreme. Everyone here (seems) to fall somewhere within the norm... but who knows... maybe im schizophrenic! 

Since someone is quick to criticise and belittle another's psychological character what does that say about that person's own emotional and psychological needs?

Im not sure... please tell me.

Moreover, i think you've misinterpreted. Im not out to "belittle" anyone's psychological character... nor to claim mine is somehow objectively 'better'.

My point is to merely raise my fellow forumers' self-awareness, as i believe thats where the impetus for many of our arguments actually lie.

Edited by Halevi
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 09:01

Originally posted by Halevi

Around 80-90% of people, globally, probably believe in a 'higher power', too. But you and i know thats (most likely) due to their deep-rooted psychological need to delude themselves as to how the world works. Truth is not always found in the herd. Im sure youre aware of this.

The past few lengthy posts contain a nice little tussle between Halevi and Beylerbeyi so I'll sit back and watch the entertainment.

I did notice an explaination towards many things psychological from our pseudo Socrates though, as evident from the quote above and other previous diagnostic claims. Basically when someone has a strong conviction they are lacking in psychological maturity according to our wise sage. Deluded even! Truly a significant criteria for schizophrenia. Since someone is quick to criticise and belittle another's psychological character what does that say about that person's own emotional and psychological needs?

Edited by Seko
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 08:38
Now this is getting interesting =)

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

What I am advocating, is humility in one's predicitions as to what will really minimize human suffering.

OK, I have already conceded the point. I can't tell the future. Maybe I am wrong and US leaving Iraq will increase the Iraqi suffering. I still think US should leave.

Good. Im glad we're agreeing here re: predictive abilities. So, *why* do you press ahead with a hard-fast, black-white type policy, even though you're aware it could very well cause more damage in the long run, not less?  Why not fully accept the implications of indeterminacy? Im not looking for a "because my role is to shock people" answer. Im looking for why Beylerbeyi is telling this to *himself*.

More to the point, however, i dont buy the idea of absolute "right" and "wrong"... the terms are too loaded and subjective.

I wrote before, certainty is unattainable. Morality especially, and even more so, politics, are always a gray zone. There indeed is no absolute right/wrong. But we nevertheless make moral/political decisions.

When forced to, yes. You're not in Iraq. You're not in the American administratoin. What's forcing you to render an absolutist judgment, Beylerbeyi? ... there must be something, there, urging you to express these views even though your admitted degree of certainty is low...

I'll leave morality aside if it is bothering you. Up to 90% of European and Asian (if not global) population opposes this war. You rarely get such high support for a political issue. If you can't act in this situation (assuming you are against the invasion), you will never act.

Around 80-90% of people, globally, probably believe in a 'higher power', too. But you and i know thats (most likely) due to their deep-rooted psychological need to delude themselves as to how the world works. Truth is not always found in the herd. Im sure youre aware of this.

In situations like that, i tend to reserve judgement, rather than make sweeping moral statements that may very well turn out to be wrong, or at best totally unquantifiable.

In situations like that I tend to act. I guess our actions have precedents: German Communists were fighting the Nazis in Weimar Republic while the Liberals were trying to figure out what the hell was happening.

Some good that did. 6 million of my people, and many many millions of others still died. I dont even need to get into how many people 'communism' killed in the USSR and China, largely due to a few ideologues' blind faith in an imagined ideal.   Whats more important to you, Beylerbeyi, an imagined political ideal, or real peoples' actual suffering?

(Im aware that western imperialism and colonialism have also likely killed millions. This isnt an "us/them" argument.)

If you're not asking "what do i think" but, rather, "what would i do", the answer is totally dependent on what position i would be making the decision from. (Eg that of an Iraqi militant vs that of a US leader etc.)

This was quite funny.

Probably because youre not used to thinking this way. But, believe me, human perceptions and actions are hugely dependent on our situation and perceived identity/kinship-ties.

You know who you are, don't ask me. OK, I'll ask this way, what would Halevi do? Anyway, those questions are related (what do you think and what do you do).

What would Halevi do if what?

You're oversimplifying here, and i think you know it. There's a specturm. Some things seem very very certain, other things are totally uncertain and unpredictable.

Indeed. That's why I wrote that I based my decision to act on my understanding of the situation. If I had an overruling principle I would have said, I based it on my principle, e.g. 'even if all Iraqis will die, US should leave Iraq'.

So.... just to be clear... based on your understanding of this highly complex situation, youve decided opposing US occupation by supporting any and all of the various insurgent/opposition groups is clearly the best moral choice? 

OK.  If so, justify that to me without using blatantly borrowed ideological arguments. Justify it to me as one concerned human being to another.

You still misjudge my motives. OK, I will be clearer. I am not pretending to be sure about anything to make myself feel good.

Oh.   Really?   I didnt say you were aware of it.  =)

My motive is, as stated before, to shock people.

As an ends in and of itself? If thats the case, how come we're having a seemingly rational argument?

To bring a radically different point of view to the attention of the people. It is one of my functions in this forum. There are people here (and everywhere) so unaware of the world that they get shocked when someone claims people should defend themselves in a war.

Maybe you don't know me. I am confrontational, I go to the throat. People know me (my persona), I am member no. 13, I date back from an older version of the Matrix, eee sorry AE. If I suddenly pretended to be like Mother Theresa, no one will buy it.

So you're only saying these things to fulfill a pre-prescribed role, and so that people will find you believable, regardless of the validity of your argument?  Do you really mean to say that?

Maybe you do... that would be remarkably and commendably candid... but, if thats the case, then theres really no point in engaging you in a rational argument, is there? ... that would be a shame, as im having fun...

..i suspect that you're beginning to, very reluctantly, look inward at your own motivations... but are unfamiliar with what you're seeing, and are giving confused answers as a result...     

really, Beylerbeyi... why do you think you're saying what you're saying?? Whats driving your committment to these ideas?   ... im interested!

This used to be my signature when I first joined AE: 'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - George Orwell.' In other words, I am trying to do my part in the ongoing propaganda war. Does this help?

Yes. I think you've misinterpreted the irony of the quote. =)

I am disappointed that you fail to see that I am a self-conscious political operative, and continue claiming that I am saying things because of 'personal psychological reasons' even though I already pointed this out to you...

Those are not mutually contradictory statements. Not in the least. This is precisely my point.    

Maybe you (subconsciously?) value your self-described identity as a 'political operative' above a pursuit of the truth... or an acceptance of the difficulty in determining the 'truth'.   

See what im getting at?

I base my decision on my understanding of the situation on the ground, not on abstract principles. 'Least harmful' is not the optimal condition for me.

Ah... now we're getting somewhere.   What *is* the optimal condition for you... and, more importantly, why?

Did you support the US army when they invaded? A quick victory will little loss of life, looks like the least harmful choice, doesn't it?

No, not at all.   Moreover, im talking about least harmful in the *long* run.. (as long as possible). You may have misinterpreted that to mean least harmful right at the moment. My bad, if so.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are c--ksure, and the intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell

Indeed, stupid and ignorant are quite sure of themselves, but it doesn't mean that all confident people are stupid or ignorant.

Excellent point.

The points is, nice quote from Russell. Russell was a lifelong activist for various left-wing causes, he was imprisoned in an anti-nuclear weapons rally when he was eighty-nine years old. So don't make his quotes an excuse for inaction or support of American war. 

Im not. Im using his quotes to make the case for humility in one's moral judgments.

If you were to say "i have no idea what course of action will be best in the long run, but, given the information i have at the moment, i think choice A is most advisable for the following reasons: B, C, D, E, etc..."

...rather than "Its a clear choice. Either youre with us or against us. Its that simple."

... then we'd like be on more common ground, and i think Russell would approve...    if thats important to you.

That depends on whose interests im supposed to have in mind.

I am asking Halevi's opinion. Whose interests does Halevi hold in mind?

Those of my own happiness first, then that of my family/friends, then that of humanity.  I generally want to minimize the amount of suffering globally, with particular relative concern for those close to me, of course (the ultimate human falliability).

It is not clear to me that supporting fascist and/or islamist insurgents is the best way to get the US out.

Aha. Why do you think the Iraqi insurgency is fascist or islamist? I know Iraqi communists, but I have never heard of Iraqi fascists?

I consider the former Ba'ath party to have been fairly facist. To my knowledge, many Ba'ath loyalists (most of whom are also Sunnis) are engaged in the insurgency, along with numerous other groups,  each with a slightly different agenda.

You seem to be saying that, back in the late 1970s, i should have supported Khomeini and his cadre, just because they too, along with the Communist Tudeh party, wanted to overthrow the Shah.  But, I could have supported the communists' agenda, without supporting a mass mobilization on religious grounds, and thus not have been responsible for the Islamic Revolution and the subsequent imposition of a brutal theocracy, in place of a brutal monarchy.  The subtleties matter!!

Do you think that 'normal' people are not fighting against the US?

Hahah. Wtf? I think they're all pretty much 'normal'... Whats that supposed to mean?

Are you really thinking independently (whatever that means)?

It means making an utmost effort to reflect on my own opinions, and why i hold them, rather than blindly repeat and advocate those of others.

... I would like to see the Americans leave Iraq or its remnants in as peaceful a way as possible, period.

OK, but the problem is how is this gonna happen? What should US do NOW? I say that they should pull out now, and leave Iraq alone. What do you suggest?

I do not have enough knowledge of the situation on the ground to make a decent decision one way or the other. Thats exactly my point.  

If *forced* to make a decision for the US (as in, if someone put a gun to my head), i'd probably say, "yes, the US should withdraw, preferrably doing all they can to safeguard the future fate of the Iraqi civilians... but im only saying this because you have a gun to my head... i dont have much confidence in this judgment, and would have preferred to remain neutral on the issue until privy to more details."

Alternatively, id like to hear what a majority of Iraqis want. I think they're (likely) in a better position to quantify/predict their current and future suffering, given a series of possible scenarios, than i am. I would most likely defer to them.

So your plan is 'let's wait and see'. Which means, 'US military can continue what they are doing now'. Which means 'no plans for pulling out'. You say 'US should leave when Iraq is stable', so does Rumsfeld. Where's your difference?

No, my plan is not 'lets wait and see'. My point is that im no position to *make* a plan.

Who's 'we', Beylerbeyi? ... Are you really thinking independently?

We are borg. Resistance is futile.

No, seriously. Who's we? Or, if you insist on the STNG analogy... whos the borg, in this case... and why have you submitted your will to them?

Where does Bin Ladin come from?

SA. But saying SA therefore supports Al Qaeda is like saying the Spanish govt therefore supports ETA.  Ibn laden wants to see the collapse of the Saudi government.

Hamas was supported by Israel to divide the Palestinian resistance in the beginning. A lot like Bin Ladin and USA, isn't it?

Absolutely. We agree here.

I prefer not to divide the Middle East (or anywhere else) any further.

Even if that meant more death and destruction than a fracturing of current borders? Why?

I would prefer to join some countries together.

Interesting. Which ones and why?

All I am worried about is an American puppet state in Iraqi territory. Iraq, Kurdistan, Shialand, Disneyland, whatever. We don't need another Israel in the Middle East. But if Iraq won't survive, I have nothing against an independent Kurdistan.

Cool.

"First, do no harm."

Quite debatable:

'As it is impossible to send in an army and do no harm, or to exercise power in another nation without affecting the balance of power elsewhere, this surely means that it is always better to do nothing.

In which case, it is better for the powerful nations to stand back and watch as the Ugandan army and a handful of paltry militias murder millions in the Congo. The rich worlds decision not to intervene effectively in Rwanda was the right one; Nato should not be sending reinforcements to Kosovo this week. Is hypocrisy always worse than cynicism?'

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/03/23/a-charter-to-inte rvene/

Excellent point.   Let me be clearer:  if you think you can stop a greater suffering, by inflicting a lesser one... do it.  Just be sure. I want to hear how you arrived at your conclusion/quantification.

I wrote that to show that I am perfectly capable of attributing fictitious 'personal psychological reasons' to explain your line of reasoning. I am not doing that, because I take you seriously, I assume your argument has basis in rational thought, rather than 'personal feelings'. It breaks my heart that you don't return the favour.

Im going to go out on a limb here again, and assert that *both* of our arguments stem from a combination of rational reasoning, and personal psychological motivations.  All im advocating is awareness of these, which you have thus far refused to accept..       Why is that, do you suppose?

I use communist arguments, because I happen to be one.

Good. Why? ... Moreover, is your identity as a 'communist' more important than whether communist logic forces you to espouse an unsubstantiated or immoral view?

Make up your mind now, is my argumentation based on irrational personal feelings, or am I merely a drone repeating orders from party headquarters?

Both, plus a great big dollop of very astute observation and rationality. No more, no less.  I'm equally suceptible to these things, but i try to be aware of them.

How do you justify your confidence in predicting the future?

I predicted the war better than the American administration, Congress, Senate and myriad neo-con think-tanks until now... How about that? 

Beyond that, I am reasonably well-informed. I don't think my predictions will be much worse than anyone else's.

Thats a pretty good argument. I could say precisely the same.

And finally, I am not claiming that I can predict the future, if I sound confident, maybe it is for a purpose. How many propaganda posters have you seen which claim, 'US possibly out of Iraq'?

BINGO.   Thanks for being candid. ... So, Beylerbeyi, whats the purpose and, more importantly, why does that purpose take precedent over the accuracy of your (stated) views?

Perhaps your confidence is not a product of pure knowledge, but also one of deep psychological drives towards heroism, alpha-maleness, etc, that have little to do with an actual consideration of the realities of human suffering?

Has it ever crossed your mind that I may be sounding more confident than I really am because I have some sort of political agenda?

Yes, of course. Thats essentially been my point.  My question to you is, why are you committed to that political agenda?  Moreover, why is your committment to that agenda more important for you than making an accurate statement? Im sure you have good reasons. Id like to hear them.

We are borg. We don't have self-reflections. Even if we had we would never reveal them to strangers in an internet forum full of nerds.  

Lol, ok... "borg."   Wont you humour me, for the sake of both your, and my, intellectual development?   You can always PM me if you prefer ... if youre shy.

Edited by Halevi
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 22:41

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Don't forget that most of the soldiers in Iraq didn't go there for fun. Most of them come from poor backgrounds, and their only chance to make progress is joining the army. Blowing them to pieces is extremely unjust, that way they are victims twice, first of the military-industrial complex and secondly of the suicide bombers.
If anybody should blown to pieces it are the military-political leaders. And the mercenaries. (To the sensitive people out here: I do not actively advocate blowing people to pieaces, notice the word if)

I do feel for those Americans used as cannon fodder and dont think they r any different from russian penal troops. But if their blind patriotism or overbearing social climate causes them to carry out wrongs in another country then what do u expect that those wronged should do.

Show them the fallacy of their misplaced patriotism or elaborate on their ignorance. Or, maybe they too cannot act any differently from the way they do because of their patriotism and sense of duty.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 21:46

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

In situations like that I tend to act.

May I ask how you are taking action now?

Member of IAEA
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 16:37

If anybody should blown to pieces it are the military-political leaders. And the mercenaries. (To the sensitive people out here: I do not actively advocate blowing people to pieaces, notice the word if)

The troops, like anyone else, are responsible for their actions. But I see your concern. Let's say: Troop 1 point, Mercenary 3 points, Leader 10 points.

Excellent response. Im thoroughly enjoying this.

My pleasure.

What I am advocating, is humility in one's predicitions as to what will really minimize human suffering.

OK, I have already conceded the point. I can't tell the future. Maybe I am wrong and US leaving Iraq will increase the Iraqi suffering. I still think US should leave.

More to the point, however, i dont buy the idea of absolute "right" and "wrong"... the terms are too loaded and subjective.

I wrote before, certainty is unattainable. Morality especially, and even more so, politics, are always a gray zone. There indeed is no absolute right/wrong. But we nevertheless make moral/political decisions.

I'll leave morality aside if it is bothering you. Up to 90% of European and Asian (if not global) population opposes this war. You rarely get such high support for a political issue. If you can't act in this situation (assuming you are against the invasion), you will never act.

In situations like that, i tend to reserve judgement, rather than make sweeping moral statements that may very well turn out to be wrong, or at best totally unquantifiable.

In situations like that I tend to act. I guess our actions have precedents: German Communists were fighting the Nazis in Weimar Republic while the Liberals were trying to figure out what the hell was happening.

If you're not asking "what do i think" but, rather, "what would i do", the answer is totally dependent on what position i would be making the decision from. (Eg that of an Iraqi militant vs that of a US leader etc.)

This was quite funny. You know who you are, don't ask me. OK, I'll ask this way, what would Halevi do? Anyway, those questions are related (what do you think and what do you do).

You're oversimplifying here, and i think you know it. There's a specturm. Some things seem very very certain, other things are totally uncertain and unpredictable.

Indeed. That's why I wrote that I based my decision to act on my understanding of the situation. If I had an overruling principle I would have said, I based it on my principle, e.g. 'even if all Iraqis will die, US should leave Iraq'.

If youre going to make claims that involve massive death and destruction, i feel its worth examining your decision, rather than just saying to yourself well, 'this might be right... its really hard to tell .... but to make myself feel good about myself, im going to pretend its clearly the only and absolute best thing to do.'

You still misjudge my motives. OK, I will be clearer. I am not pretending to be sure about anything to make myself feel good. My motive is, as stated before, to shock people. To bring a radically different point of view to the attention of the people. It is one of my functions in this forum. There are people here (and everywhere) so unaware of the world that they get shocked when someone claims people should defend themselves in a war.

Maybe you don't know me. I am confrontational, I go to the throat. People know me (my persona), I am member no. 13, I date back from an older version of the Matrix, eee sorry AE. If I suddenly pretended to be like Mother Theresa, no one will buy it. 

This used to be my signature when I first joined AE: 'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - George Orwell.' In other words, I am trying to do my part in the ongoing propaganda war. Does this help?

I am disappointed that you fail to see that I am a self-conscious political operative, and continue claiming that I am saying things because of 'personal psychological reasons' even though I already pointed this out to you...

Could it be, that, in this case, youre uncritically accepting the anti-imperialist dogma of communism, rather than doing the more difficult - potentially morally paralyzing - job of analysing whether the 'communist choice' is truly the least harmful one in this particular context?

I base my decision on my understanding of the situation on the ground, not on abstract principles. 'Least harmful' is not the optimal condition for me. Did you support the US army when they invaded? A quick victory will little loss of life, looks like the least harmful choice, doesn't it?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are c--ksure, and the intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell

.... don't sell yourself short, Beylerbeyi ...

Indeed, stupid and ignorant are quite sure of themselves, but it doesn't mean that all confident people are stupid or ignorant.

The points is, nice quote from Russell. Russell was a lifelong activist for various left-wing causes, he was imprisoned in an anti-nuclear weapons rally when he was eighty-nine years old. So don't make his quotes an excuse for inaction or support of American war. You're better than that.

That depends on whose interests im supposed to have in mind.

I am asking Halevi's opinion. Whose interests does Halevi hold in mind?

It is not clear to me that supporting fascist and/or islamist insurgents is the best way to get the US out.

Aha. Why do you think the Iraqi insurgency is fascist or islamist? I know Iraqi communists, but I have never heard of Iraqi fascists? Do you think that 'normal' people are not fighting against the US?

Are you really thinking independently (whatever that means)?

... I would like to see the Americans leave Iraq or its remnants in as peaceful a way as possible, period.

OK, but the problem is how is this gonna happen? What should US do NOW? I say that they should pull out now, and leave Iraq alone. What do you suggest?

I say that - as bad as imperialist occupations are - immediate forced withdrawal, leaving the country in the tatters of civil war is not *necessarily* better than a gradual, phasing-out of US presence. Maybe it is... we dont and cant know (unless youre privy to some key piece of information that im not)... not yet, anyway.

So your plan is 'let's wait and see'. Which means, 'US military can continue what they are doing now'. Which means 'no plans for pulling out'. You say 'US should leave when Iraq is stable', so does Rumsfeld. Where's your difference?

Who's 'we', Beylerbeyi? ... Are you really thinking independently?

We are borg. Resistance is futile.  

News to me.

Where does Bin Ladin come from? Why does Bin Ladin come from where he comes from, and not from Iraq or Egypt, etc? Where does the funding of Wahhabis all around the world come from? Who paid for the weapons supplied to the Afghan jihadis in the 80s, who became Al Qaeda?

Arguably, a better comparison is Gaza. Hamas and Fatah are still battling it out on the crowded streets of Gaza City.

Hamas was supported by Israel to divide the Palestinian resistance in the beginning. A lot like Bin Ladin and USA, isn't it? 

Quite true. Does that offend you more as a communist, or as a Turk?  ; )

I prefer not to divide the Middle East (or anywhere else) any further. I would prefer to join some countries together. All I am worried about is an American puppet state in Iraqi territory. Iraq, Kurdistan, Shialand, Disneyland, whatever. We don't need another Israel in the Middle East. But if Iraq won't survive, I have nothing against an independent Kurdistan. 

"First, do no harm."

Quite debatable:

'As it is impossible to send in an army and do no harm, or to exercise power in another nation without affecting the balance of power elsewhere, this surely means that it is always better to do nothing.

In which case, it is better for the powerful nations to stand back and watch as the Ugandan army and a handful of paltry militias murder millions in the Congo. The rich worlds decision not to intervene effectively in Rwanda was the right one; Nato should not be sending reinforcements to Kosovo this week. Is hypocrisy always worse than cynicism?'

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/03/23/a-charter-to-inte rvene/

Also, i really dont think i qualify as an Arab-hater, despite the apparent stereotype of my ethnicity. 

Feel free to check my other posts to verify this claim.

I know, I wrote that to show that I am perfectly capable of attributing fictitious 'personal psychological reasons' to explain your line of reasoning. I am not doing that, because I take you seriously, I assume your argument has basis in rational thought, rather than 'personal feelings'. It breaks my heart that you don't return the favour.

Why subscribe to someone else's pre-frab argument?.... That being said, i think a "serious Communist/Anarchist point of view on the war in Iraq" would suffer from exactly the same shortcoming, as would just about any other ideologized point of view, 'neo-con' or 'liberal democracy-preacher' included.

I use communist arguments, because I happen to be one. I am familiar with neo-con views, liberal views, socialist views on the situation. My stance is most similar to those on the left. Not everyone in the left thinks the same, but we are all broadly on the same side. Make up your mind now, is my argumentation based on irrational personal feelings, or am I merely a drone repeating orders from party headquarters?

No problem at all ; )   I appreciate the sharpness and insight of your arugment.... again, im not sure if i qualify as bourgeoisie (or whether you do), but i dont feel shocked =)

Thank you. You may not be shocked, but others surely are.

How do you justify your confidence in predicting the future?

I predicted the war better than the American administration, Congress, Senate and myriad neo-con think-tanks until now... How about that? 

Beyond that, I am reasonably well-informed. I don't think my predictions will be much worse than anyone else's.

And finally, I am not claiming that I can predict the future, if I sound confident, maybe it is for a purpose. How many propaganda posters have you seen which claim, 'US possibly out of Iraq'?

Perhaps your confidence is not a product of pure knowledge, but also one of deep psychological drives towards heroism, alpha-maleness, etc, that have little to do with an actual consideration of the realities of human suffering?

Has it ever crossed your mind that I may be sounding more confident than I really am because I have some sort of political agenda? We are discussing a political issue after all? Don't you people ever get subtle hints? HOLY COW, WHAT MORE CAN I DO?

(This is not a personal attack! Im genuinely interested in hearing your self-reflections...)

We are borg. We don't have self-reflections. Even if we had we would never reveal them to strangers in an internet forum full of nerds.  

Edited by Beylerbeyi
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by Leonidas

actaully can I comend both Bey and Halevi for their contributions.

please continue.
agree
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 12:34
Originally posted by Loknar

Will you be OK with a Kurdistan?

On Turkish soil? Of course no. And it won't happen no matter what.
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 11:31

Just to get this strait. Eveyone, CLAM DOWN!!! This topic is an opinion topic, but if everyone is harassing each other, then don't bother typing on this topic. Please keep this apropriot. I don't want anyone to insult each other. This is a topic on what we belive what is happening in Iraq.I hope some of these post are not true.

Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 11:00

Don't forget that most of the soldiers in Iraq didn't go there for fun. Most of them come from poor backgrounds, and their only chance to make progress is joining the army.

So they get money for killing, is this a good job? progressin wit attacking other people?

Blowing them to pieces is extremely unjust, that way they are victims twice, first of the military-industrial complex and secondly of the suicide bombers.

at least they are victim of their own decision, an iraqian child had no chance to decide.

aren those soldiers mercenary?

Dont act neive, it will happen if Amnerica leaves. The Kurds have no reason to be apart of an arabic nation.

Personaly I think yes,  It will be ok with a kurdistan, infact It is almost necessary.(At least, kurds will have a voice for them)

Plus, usa aim is notto stabilize iraq, but she is trying to destabilized another country.(Iran)

we are at iraq because iraq is not stabilized yet, is not a good excuse, when your aim is to attack another country.

Edited by Mortaza
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 09:39

Beylerbeyi

Dont act neive, it will happen if Amnerica leaves. The Kurds have no reason to be apart of an arabic nation.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 05:15
actaully can I comend both Bey and Halevi for their contributions.

please continue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>