Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homer was a woman !!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homer was a woman !!??
    Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 03:54

Modern Psycology can't really be applied to the minds of people living in around 700 BC. Often, what we think is human nature is not - anyone who reads the Epic of Gilgamesh and other such works can see instantly what I mean. I don't know who tried to do this analysis on Homer's mind (which Is what I grasp is being discussed here) but it's a tad foolish if you ask me.

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 14:15
Originally posted by TranHungDao

Even Congressional Medal of Honor winners have PTSD. PTSD is a modern term for what has gone on since wars first began.Heck, probably since the first fratricide, namely that of Able by his bro Cain.

PTSD is a lame modernism. Soldiers used to believe in fortitude and didn't need labels of victimhood. The martial culture of previous eras rendered soldiers fit for war (and often, nothing else). What they call "severe PTSD" is something else entirely and has always existed, but it should be distinguished as something of an entirely different class than the more common sorts of PTSD.

Different cultures used to cope differently. We might regard butchery by the blade as something totally horrific even to watch, but ancient peoples didn't have supermarkets, most of them were farmers who butchered livestock regularly, some cultures even watched butchery as a mass entertainment (eg the gladiatorial events in Rome). Deaths were a part of everyday living, and they weren't removed or segregrated to a special place like the intensive care ward; it happened in homes, on the street, wherever. We moderns banish death from the public experience, and the result is a collective thanatophobia. They had different attitudes towards death. We are a culture with a hitherto unknown level of fear about certain types of death, including violent death.

In the first world war, they called it shell-shocked.

Shell-shock is in a class all by itself. It's nothing like any of the other traumas people may have because of war. Shell-shock victims often didn't see anyone die from shelling at all; they were secure in underground bunkers. For days at a time. With 50-60 heavy artillery shells landing on the ground above for up to a week at a time ...

Imagine being confined in a pitch black room for a week, then imagine the building around the room being torn apart by about 100 wrecking balls. For days on end. It reduced people to gibbering madmen, even when they had not seen one person injured.

[quote]Even some Vietnam War vets talk about still looking out for snipers and booby traps as they walk
about during the day.[/qoute]

Vietnam and certain other modern conflicts were unusual, in that there were long periods of wariness for the danger of unseen instant death. Not a common feature of warfare in pre-modern eras, or even warfare that didn't occur in a jungle environment.

Edited by edgewaters - 12-Jul-2007 at 14:22
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 11:15
Originally posted by The_Jackal_God

my point of saying Homer wasn't "traumatized" was that Greeks engaged in war every summer - it's nothing like our modern society where we basically have mercenaries like Carthage, not the citizen-soldiers of Rome or Greece. everyone was touched by war, death in combat was a very real, not unlikely ending for any man.

i don't think the trauma soldiers from the first world experience is comparable to that that the Greeks would've experienced, because we live in the bubble of modernity.

Interesting theory, a warrior society made for less trauma than a more passive society. I have always thought when reading Homer that war is described as if it was a good thing to be praised , in our culture it is seen as a failing and a terrible thing.

It's like if we were to see people torn to pieces in front of us by animals or killed by another man we would be traumatized but the Romans saw it as entertainment (in the arena) and I assume were not traumatized en masse

The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 23:49
my point of saying Homer wasn't "traumatized" was that Greeks engaged in war every summer - it's nothing like our modern society where we basically have mercenaries like Carthage, not the citizen-soldiers of Rome or Greece. everyone was touched by war, death in combat was a very real, not unlikely ending for any man.

i don't think the trauma soldiers from the first world experience is comparable to that that the Greeks would've experienced, because we live in the bubble of modernity.
olvios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote olvios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 17:44
Its  in Greek  not  "albanian" or "illyrian".
http://www.hoplites.net/
erton View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote erton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 17:35

ther is a word for homer that says: when he was alive even in his village he wasnt allowed,but after his death 7 cities wanted him...

according to albanian language Homer is translated like "the poor"/ "i mjeri"-alb. or the good man/ "i miri" in alb

so "i miri"/i mieri=Homeri
the time is the greatest enemy of the men
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 15:27
i always liked the idea that the Homeric poems came from a single intelligence

perhaps there was plenty of borrowing from other works, maybe it was edited by more than one person

but i prefer to think of a younger man's fury in the iliad, an older man's wisdom in the odyssey
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 08:20
Even Congressional Medal of Honor winners have PTSDPTSD is a modern term for what has gone on since wars first began.  Heck, probably since the first fratricide, namely that of Able by his bro Cain.  In the first world war, they called it shell-shocked.  Iraq War veterans often talk about constantly looking for IED's as they're driving down Main Street in their own home towns.  Many sleep with a gun under their pillows.  Even some Vietnam War vets talk about still looking out for snipers and booby traps as they walk about during the day.  Recurring nightmares are by far the norm.

(If you're not an American, the Congressonal Medal of Honor is the highest honor an American can recieve, military or non military.  It is a military honor for bravery in combat.  It's equivalent to being knighted by the Queen or being awarded the Lgion d'honneur, and so on.)

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 23:12
traumatized? not likely.   
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 06:22
Come to think of it...

If the "scholarly" PTSD analysis of Achilles is correct, then it would suggest Homer was indeed probably a man, who had prior to his days as a poet, had real combat experience, which traumatized him and/or his comrades.   Presumably, he would then incorporate this into his writings.  LOLLOL
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 06:05
Here's a funny paper on Achilles' PTSD:

While it is impossible to deny Achilles compulsive and violent behavior in much of The Iliad, modern research on the effects of battle trauma on the human psyche invites us to reevaluate his behavior. In light of modern research conducted on war veterans suffering from PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), Achilles emerges as much the victim of war as its brutal perpetrator. 

Link:  http://stripe.colorado.edu/~fredrice/schiller.achilles.doc

This reminds one of those blockheaded Freudians who project their theories onto Hamlet.

For the record, I think it is possible that Homer, or for that matter Shakespeare, was a woman.  But I also think it is possible that aliens showed the Egyptians how to build the pyrimids.  But is there any evidence?  Heck no.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 05:38
Originally posted by Komnenos

Dr Dalby, whose study, Rediscovering Homer, will be published by W. W. Norton in September, said: It is possible, even probable, that this poet was a woman. As a working hypothesis, this helps to explain certain features in which these epics are better more subtle, more complex, more universal than most others.

Ridiculous.  The most probable explanation/speculation for the "more subtle, more complex, more universal than most others" is that Homer was gay or bisexual, which was very common back then in ancient Greek (and Roman) society.

Put it this way:  If Homer were alive nowadays, he'd probably frequent the Pottery Barn.  Ermm

Looks like squeaky wheel phenomena:  Make controversial assertions to sell books and/or get attention.

Originally posted by Komnenos

No Ponce, it's not about Homer Simpson.

Hmm.  Obviously a preemptive strike against a trouble maker.  LOL
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 22:59

Boo to all these flippant comments of Homer not being a women and  asking where is the evidence, flip it on its head where is the evidence of Homer being a man? In fact where is the evidence that Homer as one person actually existed?

I say, there is no conclusive evidence of either, so don't laugh just open your mind and ponder.Shocked

Edited by New User - 01-Jun-2007 at 19:57
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 10:12
Originally posted by Top Gun

thats ridiculous because this story is written in helen times and women didn't had much privilege at that time

Sappho made it a little bit later.
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 04:17
thats ridiculous because this story is written in helen times and women didn't had much privilege at that time
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 02:58
Homer was a woman!? Wacko  HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL  Yea and Nile Armstrong was rilly Melly Armstrong...   And I did not exist.  We never went to the moon.   And  JFK is alive  Wacko     Dear God whats going on with are history...  
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 23:23
Well, I thought Da Vinci Code was a great book. Inaccurate, yes. But that's why it's a fiction book. I enjoyed the plot and the ideas, though some are not true in terms of history.

And Homer is a woman? Where's the evidence? Reference?

Join us.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 23:57
"A Million Little Authors"
Istor the Macedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Istor the Macedonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 17:37
In contrary I think that, based on several tales, there was ONE person who concatenated the stories to make one story as educational as modern encyclopaedias.

One of his name etymologies that I love most is from "omou" (= together) + eeraron (to lace, ee = eta)

ομού + ήραρον =Όμηρος.

Homer means the rapsoodos ( oo = omega) the person who concatenated several stories (songs) to make one great story.

Edited by Istor the Macedonian - 26-Dec-2006 at 17:44
Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 09:45
Good that he was, if he indeed was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>