Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inuit Modern Art.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inuit Modern Art.
    Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 17:20
Originally posted by Hellios

There's been a boom in demand for Inuit art in my country, making it somewhat expensive, even for Canadians.  I can only afford to admire the stuff.  Art from other aboriginal peoples of Canada is less expensive, not sure why.

High end Inuit art / crafts may have been popular with wealthy Canadian celebrities seeking an "ethnic look" for their homes.   Then high end design magazines featuure their homes  / decor and this created more demand.

A dealer told me that the following tale.  A very similar chain of events happended here in the USA with Southwest Indian antiques and SW modern crafts.   Not only did the price of true antiques skyrocket, but the incredible prices led to even more looting, counterfeits, and creative usage of the term "antique".

Modern crafts by Southwest Indians also boomed and work by both master and uhmmm "beginning" craftsmen / women was commanding higher and higher prices.

Then... the Celebrities lost interest. American Southwest was out and Tibet / Buddhism was in.  Prices collapsed (except of the very rare and very high end  antique / modern true master pieces).   Psuedo Native American / New Age spirituality was then replaced by Psuedo Buddhist / New Age spirituality amongst the Hollywood crowd.

Edited by Cryptic - 25-Oct-2006 at 17:42
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 12:12

some poor photos of prints done by Haida artists Joe Mandur jr., Carl Sramquist and Alvin Adkins.  As was mentioned there are similarities.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 22:53
No. I didn't smoke a peace pipe. However, I meet several Natives Americans in there and we become good friends. They told me theirs reality and the discrimination they suffer daily in Canadian society.
I told them I had Native American ancestry as well, and that in my country Natives peoples have more opportunities than in Canada, which is true.

Yes. I learn a lot about Canada talking with its Native people. People that I consider close relatives.

Pinguin

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 20:04
Originally posted by pinguin

Hey, I lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan during six freezing winters and there were not Inuits there, but Cree natives.

This is what I've been saying.  Look at the map, and read what I wrote.  SK further south, below NU, NT, YK, therefore it's no surprise you only met Cree in SK.

They were good fellows, indeed. 

Did you smoke the peace pipe?

Yes, I will wait. I am really interested in the topics of where Indians stop and Inuits start. It seems to me there is not a clear cut division, but I could be wrong. Pnguin

OK, the art will be ready soon.

Edited by Hellios - 22-Oct-2006 at 20:05
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 18:56
Hey, I lived in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan during six freezing winters LOL
and there were not Inuits there, but Cree natives. They were good fellows, indeed.

Yes, I will wait. I am really interested in the topics of where Indians stop and Inuits start. It seems to me there is not a clear cut division, but I could be wrong.

Pnguin
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 12:25
Pinguin, in Canada "North-West" and "Northwest" mean 2 different things.  Let me explain it to you.

Look at the northern part of this map of Canada.  Going from east to west you have Nunavut, the Northwest Territories, Yukon Territories, and then it's Alaska.  There are Inuit in all these places.  Inuit live in lands stretching from south-east Alaska to Greenland.

NT had no representation in the House of Commons until the early 60's when the "Northwest Territories" electoral district was created.

For you (in Chile) it's only natural to call the tribes of BC/AB/SK "north-western" tribes, but they not, for us.

Later today I'll be posting some more modern art from NU, NT, and the Yukon.  You will like.

Bill.

Edited by Hellios - 22-Oct-2006 at 13:25
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 08:38

Now a question. Given the superficial similarities in style, can I assume there was a cultural interchange between the Natives of the North West and the Inuits? I mean, of the "totem makers" peoples and the Artic Inuit peoples? That's getting really fascinating.

As you as notice some other posts, I am really interested in the history of Native Americans from Alaska to the Land of Fire.

Pinguin
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2006 at 03:10
Hi Pinguin.

Now, I find Inuit art quite similar to the Native American art of the Canadian and U.S. West Coast.  Look at the logo of the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Totems.

It is there any link between Inuit and Seattle's cultures? The styles look quite similar.

The styles have some elements in common; for example some symbols like certain birds, animals, & marine creatures, appear in most North American native art.

The above scuptures are not Inuit but of the Amerindian tribes of the North West, the same ones that made the famous totem poles.

This issue was resolved a few years ago when the ICC defined 'Inuit' as "a general term for culturally similar indigenous peoples inhabiting the United States (Alaskan Inupiat & Yupik peoples), Greenland (the Kalaallit people),  Russia (the Yupik people of Siberia's Chukchi Peninsula), and Canada (Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Nunavik, Nunatsiavut)."

The ICC is a multi-national organization representing 150,000 circumpolar aboriginals living in the United States (Alaskan Inupiat & Yupik peoples), Greenland (the Kalaallit people),  Russia (the Yupik people of Siberia's Chukchi Peninsula), and Canada (Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Nunavik, Nunatsiavut).

If you mean the more southern North American tribes, then No (the art I posted isn't from them).  I know the tribe of each piece I posted.

Sorry for the intervention, but I am really a fanatic of the art of the Natives of Seattle, B.C. and Alaska.

NP, it's a refreshing subject from all the equatorial based threads.

By the way, the circumpolar peoples rarely made totem poles like you mentioned; due to the extreme climate they made Inuksuit using stone.  It's almost 'mystical' - the vast circumpolar world is peppered with Inuksuit since 5000 years.  They were used for various purposes: to mark a place of respect, to show directions to travelers, to warn of impending danger, to act as helpers in the hunting of caribou...

Edited by Hellios - 22-Oct-2006 at 12:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 22:48

Rattles:

bear prince with twin cubs rattle

salmon rattle

thunderbird, sculpin and first man chief's rattle

raven stealing the light rattle

full moon / new moon rattle

shaman's rattle

warrior's helper rattle

Hi Hellios,

I like Inuit arts, but I am really a fanatic of the North American North West Coastal art. So I was very intrigated by the similarity of the above art with the one of the North West Native American, so I check it out.

The above scuptures are not Inuit but of the Amerindian tribes of the North West, the same ones that made the famous totem poles. The stone sculptures you show below these are Inuit.

Sorry for the intervention, but I am really a fanatic of the art of the Natives of Seattle, B.C. and Alaska.

Regards,

Pinguin

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 09:00

Rattles:

salmon rattle

raven stealing the light rattle

I helios, those pictures are really beautiful. The style of their crafts can't be compared with the ones of other continents. Inuit is a lot better!

Now, I find Inuit art quite similar to the Native American art of the Canadian and U.S. West Coast.  Look at the logo of the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Totems.

Which is are abstractions of the ancient totems

It is there any link between Inuit and Seattle's cultures? The styles look quite similar.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 21-Oct-2006 at 09:02
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2006 at 08:04

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Nice pics, I had posted a topic about post-modern religious buildings.

Which thread are you talking about?  I'd like to contribute to it.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 15:21
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Which thread are you talking about?  I'd like to contribute to it.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 11:03
It's nice to see people appreciating Inuit art.  My sincere thanks to those who gave their input.

There's been a boom in demand for Inuit art in my country, making it somewhat expensive, even for Canadians.  I can only afford to admire the stuff.  Art from other aboriginal peoples of Canada is less expensive, not sure why.

Decebal guessing malizai_'s piece was really impressive.

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2006 at 06:28
excellent Decebal

The point about approach to art, I would disagree. You would find more art at the local butchers than at an over-hyped Damien Hearst exhibition. I think this new acceptance is tantamount to accepting artistically deficient people as 'creative' artists(artistically challenged). Where by the enclosed environment forces you as the observer to seek purpose/justification/meaning and merit in the observed, even if it is used toilet paper lying on the floor.
To give credibility to such trash would only be sad reflection on part of the participant. If the purpose is to shock and generate a response, then we will have to consider CNN as a source of such artistic accomplishment.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 23:30
Originally posted by malizai_

interesting indeed, better than splitting and suspending a dead calf in two. It is similar to other North Indian carvings. Good stuff helios.

Here is one from a different continent, any guesses for the country. Do u thinkit is modern?

I would guess this is Benin (which is not the modern country, but rather a medieval African kingdom in Nigeria), maybe sometime XVth or XVIth century.

By the way, the whole splitting a calf in two, etc. is just a very different approach to art. Traditional art has had the purpose of expressing or something beautiful. Modern art (the split calf), has the purpose of shocking and generating a respone. It's purpose is to make you ask questions...
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Preobrazhenskoe View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Preobrazhenskoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 22:50
My God! This is amazing! Thanks Hellios, much appreciated.

Eric
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 19:50
Very beautiful. Those rattles are remarkable!

It makes me think about how many ancient artifacts were lost simply because they were made of wood.
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 09:25
Great art work and worth purchasing.
A worthy thread on such a little known culture.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 09:04

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 07:13
Interesting yes, I didn't even know there was a branch like this of modern art. Great for decorating. I like the suspended black mask, it's the kind of thing that makes visitors go "wtf is that?"

Edited by Reginmund - 19-Oct-2006 at 07:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>