Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Early" Europeans unable to disgest milk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Early" Europeans unable to disgest milk
    Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 00:21
I cannot keep it in any longer (not the milk) I think this thread has only been a shot at Europeans. I have said and will say again all those without native cows are lactose intolerant. But having traveled throughout SE Asia, those who really are LI I can say some of their foods make me throw up, so what? Nobody can be judged for better or worse in what they can digest. But man alive, do they get stuck into their pizzas, and with plenty of cheese!
elenos
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 15:58
Water buffallo has similar lactose content as cow milk AFAIK. Its what mozzarella cheese was traditionaly made from.

Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 12:12
so it seems that besides europe, mid east and s asia, everyone else is lactose intolerant?
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 11:19
Originally posted by elenos

I have heard of modern Asians and Africans being lactose intolerant, for the dairy cow is not a tropical animal and not native to the equatorial belt. They need cooler weather to survive. Now days, in the Philippines for instance, what is called the "Phillipino steers"  have been successfully introduced into cooler mountainous areas. The Asian buffalo is a different species, but must check that out.  

The zebu or humped cattle prevalent in Africa and on the subcontinent are well adapted to tropical conditions being very heat tolerant and parasite resistant.  When Afrikaner settlers first moved into the interior of Africa, they were puzzled to find their European breeds succumbing to illness and heat exhaustion whilst Bantu farmers seemed to have no trouble raising and herding cattle right next to them.   Many of these breeds have been imported into warm New World climates like Brazil and the southern US in recent times to introduce those traits into local cattle populations. 

The water buffalo, if anything is even better adapted to hot, humid conditions.  It produces more milk than the average cow and the milk has a higher fat content.  I've heard anecdotally that its milk is considered to be 'harder on the stomach' perhaps pointing to the higher lactose content as was suggested. 
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 08:00
But not fundamentaly different. Anyways, its not an issue, prettty much everyone is lactose tolerant as a child, but many lose it as they progress in to adulthood.
Arrrgh!!"
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 06:46
Originally posted by BRNRDSDJNG

Hard to believe because all children received breast feeding.

The makeup of milk in domestic animals is different to that of humans.
BRNRDSDJNG View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote BRNRDSDJNG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 06:22
Hard to believe because all children received breast feeding.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 13:37
We use to have a thread with a chart anyone rember that one?

with diffrent tolerances and how they spread geneticly
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 08:15
Sahal is the strip of grazing land underneath the Sahara (or on top, if you want to be Ozzie-centric ;) ). Yes its not uniform, but its this rough 'belt' that you find traditionaly cattle grazing peoples, some of whom are known to have high rates of lactose tolerance (such as the Fulani who were once cattle grazing nomads).

As for Asian food, depends, they are reasonably common in Western, Southern, and i would assume Central (seeing as thats where yoghurt originates) Asian cusines, but East Asia is where its relativly uncommon (but didn't stop the japanese for inventing yakult). Whether this includes buffalo milk i can't say, but it doesn't seem that far fetched.
Arrrgh!!"
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 02:39
Hi Cwyr, I assume the Asians don't drink buffalo milk?I really have no idea even though I have been to Asia. Then the Sahara is sub-tropical? That makes the difference from the tropical. Even in the sub-tropics they have trouble with  the tsetse fly on cattle and other nasty bitey things that obviously evolved in tropical areas but spread to find a survival niche in other areas.

The trouble with studying Africa is the climate belts don't travel in straight lines like on the map and so the migration and settlement routes of different peoples becomes blurred. Would you say, like in this question of lactose intolerance, people tend to keep some internal traits of the areas their ancestors evolved in? 
elenos
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2007 at 10:09
It may be possible that some animal have a lower rate of lactose in their milk but it is merely an hypothesis.

Its more than a mere hypothesis. The fact is that everything from lactose levels, to fat content to energy varies quite a bit from breed to breed, and from species to species. IIRC Goats milk tends to have lower lactose levels than cows milk, which in turn has lower lactose levels than Horse milk.
Buffalo milk is slightly lactose richer than cows milk IIRC.

Seeing as you mentioned Italy, its actualy rather interesting. The tendancy is to assume a north south difference, which is true, in the North lactose tolerance is much more common than the south, but by region, Central Italy has the highest rates of tolerance, with rates comparable with Northern Europe.
Geographic distribution of the triat is rather flunky.

@elenos
Cattle is important in parts of Sahel belt, indeed it is here that you find Arficans with the highest levels of Lactose tolerance AFAIK.

Edited by Cywr - 16-Jun-2007 at 10:18
Arrrgh!!"
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 12:46
you don't seem to uderstand that they lack the ability to diggest milk in great quantities because they are intolerant to lactose (ie do not produce lactase) they are incapable to drink any form of dairy be it human, cow, goat, camel whatever. It may be possible that some animal have a lower rate of lactose in their milk but it is merely an hypothesis.

Besides, some European population are still highly lactose intolerant (Ashkenazi, Italians). There is no doubt that the practice of drinking milk arose progressively but evidence are that in Europe too it took time (variation between countries indicate it).

I'm interested by any evidence of the contrary though.
I am a free donkey!
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 23:36
I would question the semantics here. To say the Neanderthals didn't drink milk could be true, I haven't met any lately to ask them, but to say early Europeans (as known today) didn't drink milk would be nonsense. They also drank mare's milk and ate horse meat but didn't ride horses until much later.

I have heard of modern Asians and Africans being lactose intolerant, for the dairy cow is not a tropical animal and not native to the equatorial belt. They need cooler weather to survive. Now days, in the Philippines for instance, what is called the "Phillipino steers"  have been successfully introduced into cooler mountainous areas. The Asian buffalo is a different species, but must check that out.  

Edited by elenos - 14-Jun-2007 at 23:50
elenos
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 15:57
Originally posted by malizai_

welcome to AE kashmiri

What do you mean by "we drink milk directly from cows ".

Kinky peeps them Indians, they wrote the kama sutra and like to do it cow style ;)

I assume the implication is that is consumed fresh, farmhouse style.

Though he brings up an overlooked point, there are probably more lactose tolerant people in the Indian sub-continent area than there are in Europe.
Likewise there a few cattle dependant tribes in Africa that display high rates of lactose tolerance.
So its a chicken and egg thing, did cattle grazing select lactose tolerance, or did lactose tolerance make cattle grazing viable and give them an edge over the old nuts and berries folk?

IIRC there are two main theories, the one that it evolved seperatly due to local pressures in different populations, and the other that it originated possibly in the Middle East and spread outwards from there possibly with the spred of certain forms of agriculture.
That it should be highest in Sweden could thus be that A it was settled by populations who already had a lifestyle based on herding (cattle, and reindeer for the Sami) and B that the more extreme climate made dependance on milk more important.

The question i have is, are Llama's any good for miulk production? And how do Andean people fair to other American populatons in th elactose tolerance department?
Could it be simply that cows milk (which is easiest for humans to digest AFAIK) made it easier for populations that had access to domesticated cows to embrace the lifestyle (and this gradualy select people with the tolerance trait)? This would would allow for multiple regional lactose tolerance development, on the othe rhand it could be a lifestyle spreading slowly outwards from the middle east or whatever.
Maybe it was a mix of both theories.

Interestingly, i've heard (but not entirely sure), that european domestic cat breeds are morely likely to be lactose tolerant, perhaps a shared lifestyle, or accepting a particular pattern of domestication made them more favourable to humans?

Edited by Cywr - 03-Apr-2007 at 16:00
Arrrgh!!"
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 11:39
Originally posted by tommy

Even today, it is more difficult for many Han Chinese to digest milk.

From what I understand 90% of Chinese are lactose intolerant Shocked
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 05:51
As in...directly??...OK then. Has anyone tried camel's milk ice cream?
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 11:07
preety much directly from cows
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 06:13
It is unsurprising so far as I am concerned. Just look at the ability of milk digestion in peoples who have traditionally never had a strong tradition in keeping livestock. A great many Africans lack the ability to digest milk.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 02:51
Maybe it isn't pastuerized?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 21:47
welcome to AE kashmiri

What do you mean by "we drink milk directly from cows ".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>