Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Farsi to Avestai script

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing Farsi to Avestai script
    Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 00:44

Originally posted by Dark Lord

The Pahlavi-Avestan script evolved from a Semitic language, Aramaic - similar to New Persian written in Arabic. Indo-European languages are not well suited to be written in Semitic script, because syntax in Semite languages does not completely represent vowels, hence, one has to memorize the meaning of words to understand. Reading Farsi for a new student is a nightmare in knowing where and what vowels are omitted within a designate noun or verb to deduce its correct pronunciation and meaning. Iranians did invent their own script, Old Persian, a type of cuneiform, but wholly original in that it was written in alphabetical form with wholly original signs. In fact, Old Persian cuneiform was superior to Mesopotamian cuneiform for its simplicity and utilization of dividers between each word. The script is said to be invented by Darius the Great. I have studied Akkadian (a north-eastern Semitic language), and Akkadian cuneiform is much more difficult with it's 100+ signs written in continuous fashion without any dividers! Early Arabic written in Kufic script was similar in this regard. But I think Old Persian is the best script to represent the Iranian language - which would, of course, necessitate a purge of foreign words. Even the Aryan Hittites wrote in a cuneiform script - there is something haunting and powerful about a script that originated civilization; indestructible on its stone tablets - the wedge-shaped letters evoke a mythical past still lingering in our unconsciousness.

Dark Lord.

I had a similar experience.

I have given my views about changing the script of Persian language about 2 years ago on a Yahoo Group.

Changing the script, if people who speak that language want to change it should not be about a HAUNTING past dear Dark Lord.

Looking forward to a friendly discussion.

PS:Would you plz ask PRSN to reduce the size of his KINDERGARTEN notebook.

Edited by Alaknanda
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 00:25

but the pahlavi script looks like the arabic script, and it is just as inefficient as the arabic script.

so in my point of view, pahlavi script is not much of a change.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Perspolis View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Perspolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 00:21
Pahlavai script or latin are the best replacements.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2006 at 21:53

Edited by prsn41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by Tangriberdi

Man Alifboye Lotin ro mipasandam.  Chun ke alifboye Arabi ne Mi tavonam baxwonam.

I hope it is grammatically correct.

Yes, correct
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 13:15

Man Alifboye Lotin ro mipasandam.  Chun ke alifboye Arabi na tavonam baxwonam.

I hope it is grammatically correct.

Dark Lord View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary
suspended

Quote Dark Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 09:07
The Pahlavi-Avestan script evolved from a Semitic language, Aramaic - similar to New Persian written in Arabic. Indo-European languages are not well suited to be written in Semitic script, because syntax in Semite languages does not completely represent vowels, hence, one has to memorize the meaning of words to understand. Reading Farsi for a new student is a nightmare in knowing where and what vowels are omitted within a designate noun or verb to deduce its correct pronunciation and meaning. Iranians did invent their own script, Old Persian, a type of cuneiform, but wholly original in that it was written in alphabetical form with wholly original signs. In fact, Old Persian cuneiform was superior to Mesopotamian cuneiform for its simplicity and utilization of dividers between each word. The script is said to be invented by Darius the Great. I have studied Akkadian (a north-eastern Semitic language), and Akkadian cuneiform is much more difficult with it's 100+ signs written in continuous fashion without any dividers! Early Arabic written in Kufic script was similar in this regard. But I think Old Persian is the best script to represent the Iranian language - which would, of course, necessitate a purge of foreign words. Even the Aryan Hittites wrote in a cuneiform script - there is something haunting and powerful about a script that originated civilization; indestructible on its stone tablets - the wedge-shaped letters evoke a mythical past still lingering in our unconsciousness.

Dark Lord.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 10:06
Originally posted by prsn41ife

Originally posted by Fizzil

I'm not sure how its inefficient, could you elaborate?

what i mean by efficiency is that the arabic script is hard to learn for outsiders, and generally, its hard to teach.

for example, in the latin script, each letter represents a sound and you can distinguish words by just saying those sounds.

in the arabic script, you have to know the word to read it, when in latin script if you come across a word you dont know, you can sound it out.

and generally, the latin script is easier to learn, to teach, and to use internationally.

and not to mention the fact that all computers and high tech equipment are in the latin script.

the latin script has efficiency, while the arabic script has beauty, its a hard choice, dont know which one to choose.

again, thats why they whould teach both.

I think it is your problem not to be able to make the script efficient. You can totally reform this script so that you can write everything you speak.  

One example, today Uyghur turks in China do this way. What you have to do is just to learn the 32 alphabets, and you can read anything you want to read.  If you are smart enough, you can also solve any technical problem concerning modern communication.

Lastly, why do you worry about other people's learning problem? If someone is interested in your culture and anything, they should take the pain.

Either make a history or become a history.
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 12:15
Originally posted by prsn41ife

what i mean by efficiency is that the arabic script is hard to learn for outsiders, and generally, its hard to teach.

for example, in the latin script, each letter represents a sound and you can distinguish words by just saying those sounds.

in the arabic script, you have to know the word to read it, when in latin script if you come across a word you dont know, you can sound it out.

and generally, the latin script is easier to learn, to teach, and to use internationally.

and not to mention the fact that all computers and high tech equipment are in the latin script.

the latin script has efficiency, while the arabic script has beauty, its a hard choice, dont know which one to choose.

Personally I agree. we need two scripts. For one a suggest Pahlavi or Avestan. I know ppl disagree and many want the Arabic script, but personally I like the old one's better.

But like prsn4life said, Latin script is much easier for foreigners. It can be sounded out. Also consider that most of North and South America, Europe, Australia, and large parts of Africa, use Latin scripts. Thus it would make it easier for Iranians to promote their language and culture to these peoples. and vice versa, it would be easier for Iranians to learn about them.

Also it would immensely help tourism and business interests in Iran, as people could read the signs, brochures, documents, books, and other things much more easily.

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:58

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:53

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:47

so whats the point of changing the script?

the persio-arabic is also used in Urdu and Afghan dialects/languages, and its rather pleasing to look at. On the other hand, people who know arabic and interested in learning an iranian language could easily learn it becuase they'd know how to read the script.

the problem is that the arabic script is not efficient.

that is the problem, however, its so beautiful that i dont want to give it up.

thats why i propose that in the future they should teach both, and if they wont teach both, we should stick with the arabic script.

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:41

so whats the point of changing the script?

the persio-arabic is also used in Urdu and Afghan dialects/languages, and its rather pleasing to look at. On the other hand, people who know arabic and interested in learning an iranian language could easily learn it becuase they'd know how to read the script.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 19:35
just want to corrent some here. It's actually Avestan, not Avesta.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 16:08
Originally posted by Aydin

I still favor the Pahlavi script, over Arabic. Unquestionably.

"And also, it would mean having to re-educate Iran which would be difficult"

As previously stated, the arabic dialect can be taught almost as a second language type class in Iran. Eventually, after decades of this the Arabic script can be phased out.

Lastly, in Farsi class, pure Persian words should be used, whilst making a conscious effort to speak completely devoid of the small percentage of Arabic words that have infiltrated our language.

I suggest we teach Pahlavi script or Avestan script. Cuneifrom would be tough to configure to today's world of writing.

Latin letters are ok, not my first choice. But they would make Farsi easier to understand for Europeans, are make Europeans more likely to learn Farsi.

Also I suggest we change Farsi to Parsi. Do we call ourselves "Fersians" no. It was originally the Arabs, who don't pronounce 'p' who changed it to Farsi. That is why I would like Parsi, written in Pahlavi script.

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
Behzad View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Behzad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 09:55
I totally disagree with any change to our script. I believe the arabic script at the moment is good enough.

Latin is the last script I would want Farsi to be in.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 04:55
mikhi is cunieform.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 22:58
Originally posted by Land of Aryan

What is ur opinon to change to it???
 what is name in English?? MIKHI=???

"Nailish"

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:02
Originally posted by azimuth

Avista has Arabic words in it i think.

Unlikely, it may have semitic words, but they will most probably be Aramaic, which heavily influenced Arabic.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:16
as Cyrus said, with perso-arabic you must now the word to read,
but I disagree to change it, I like it, Perso arabic is very Beautiful

What is ur opinon to change to it???
 what is name in English?? MIKHI=???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>