Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Farsi to Avestai script

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing Farsi to Avestai script
    Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 02:10
Let's change the script to Old Persian, or Avestai script. The Perso-Arabic script can be taught like a second language in schools. Your thoughts?
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 02:58
I like to say yes but it is very hard and I prefer latin script.
Anfører
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 04:36
No.  The old Persian script was cunieform and Avestan has the same root as Perso-Arabic anyway.  Perso-Arabic is by far the most elegant.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 11:10
I dislike Arabic script, knowing the alphabet doesn't help you but you shoud know words to read them!!
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 11:39
I like the Perso-Arabic script as well.  Latin is so ....blocky.  I dont know how to explain it. 
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 22:18

Originally posted by Zagros

No.  The old Persian script was cunieform and Avestan has the same root as Perso-Arabic anyway.  Perso-Arabic is by far the most elegant.

Thank you for the correction. I was referring to the very unique Indo-Iranian script, I cannot remember the name, only what it looks like...

Englighten me!

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 22:22
can we see pictures of these scripts?
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 01:09
Originally posted by Aydin

I was referring to the very unique Indo-Iranian script

Indo-Iranian script??? what the heck do you mean? Iranians never established a writting system.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 01:34
Anfører
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 03:02
Nakonid, lotfan. Your Perso-Arabic script and calligraphy is beautiful, and totally functional. It didnt take me that long to learn at all, and my handwriting sucks in all languages. Dont erase your beautiful heritage, just because it contains Arab influence!! 
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 04:22

Avista has Arabic words in it i think. but i think Iranians are free to do what they like with their script and language like the Turks of turkey did.

if they want to change the current one, i think its good to use the old ones. looks calssic and original and not Latin.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:16
Sirius, you can post inscriptions from ?? BC, but it still doesn't change the fact that Iranians never established a writting system.

I wouldn't think so Azimth. Akkadian and Aramaic influenced Avestan (Young Avestan to be exact) to some degrees, but Arabic doesn't make any sense to me based on the timetable I have. The reason is that Avesta was already put on the shelves when Arabic language started growing and influencing the region. Plus Avestan is a north-eastern Iranian language, therefore there was quite a distance in order to be touched by western languages BEFORE Avestan moved toward west. One more thing is that during Achamenids (noticing they were first to connect the Iranian plateau to the Mesopotamia and near east) Aramaic was the administrative language of the state, not Avestan. So it is no surprise that Arabic has not had effects on Avestan, because they never bumped into each other. After all, I would say that Avestan had influnced Arabic much more.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:19

there is no question that a latin alphabet would be the most efficient and realistic, but we would lose the beauty of the arabic script!

maybe we can do both?

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 11:41
I still favor the Pahlavi script, over Arabic. Unquestionably.

"And also, it would mean having to re-educate Iran which would be difficult"

As previously stated, the arabic dialect can be taught almost as a second language type class in Iran. Eventually, after decades of this the Arabic script can be phased out.

Lastly, in Farsi class, pure Persian words should be used, whilst making a conscious effort to speak completely devoid of the small percentage of Arabic words that have infiltrated our language.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 12:44

I don't like persian in latin script. I always have a big probleme to read "fingilish".

Originally posted by azimuth

Avista has Arabic words in it i think.

I don't think so, if you mean words like daena(=din), they are persian

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 17:35

nope, your daena isnt like our din, they have different roots.

maybe iam wrong but i came across Zoroasterian terms and found some Arabic words in it, dont know if these words from Avesta or not.

anyway here they are.

farziyat (Ar.): obligatory prayers said in each of the five watches ('gahs') of the day.
Fasli (Pers., Ar.): Zoroastrians who follow a religious calendar which intercalculates one day every four years, patterned after the Gregorian calendar. (Compare with Qadimi and Shahanshahi.)

Qadimi (Pers., Ar.): one of the three movements within Zoroastrianism which observe different religious calendars (the other two are called Fasli and Shahanshahi). The Qadimi calendar is one month ahead of the Shahanshahi.

Rivayat (Ar.): a collection of letters in Persian from Iranian priests in response to questions by their Indian counterparts on a variety of religious topics, written between 1478 and 1773 C.E..

from this site.

http://www.avesta.org/zglos.html

anyway back to the topic.

these are some scripts used by iranians

Example of Pahlavi script

Example of Old Persian script

the last one looks nice.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:07

@Azimuth:
as you see it's " Zoroastrian terms "

& these are new terms which added after Islam,& as you see there is date for Revayat ,  Fasli & Qadimi is name of calanders after Islam

but in Avesta there aren't this words

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 18:16
as Cyrus said, with perso-arabic you must now the word to read,
but I disagree to change it, I like it, Perso arabic is very Beautiful

What is ur opinon to change to it???
 what is name in English?? MIKHI=???
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 20:02
Originally posted by azimuth

Avista has Arabic words in it i think.

Unlikely, it may have semitic words, but they will most probably be Aramaic, which heavily influenced Arabic.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 22:58
Originally posted by Land of Aryan

What is ur opinon to change to it???
 what is name in English?? MIKHI=???

"Nailish"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>