Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Top 100 Leaders in History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Top 100 Leaders in History
    Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 20:23

See previous page for the latest Top 100 and additions.  The "scores" through France so far:

Legend:
Bold Italic Underlined: 3 or more in the top 100.
Bold: 4 or more rated (there are over 350 rated so far).
Italic: No leaders worth rating.

List of Countries Top 100 Top 200
Abbasid Caliphate 1 2
Aceh 0 0
Adal 0 0
Afghan 1 1
Ahom 1 4
Akkad 1 1
Albania 1 1
Algeria 0 0
Almohads 1 1
Almoravids 1 2
Angles 0 0
Aquitaine 0 0
Arabs 3 6
Aragon 0 0
Arakan 0 0
Argentina 0 1
Armenia 1 1
Ashanti 0 0
Assyria 3 4
Athens 0 1
Âu Lạc 1 1
Australia 0 0
Austria/Habsburgs 2 3
Austro-Hungary 0 0
Avars 0 1
Axum 0 0
Ayyubids 1 1
Aztec 2 2
Babylon 2 3
Banten 0 0
Bavaria 1 2
Belgium 0 0
Bengal 0 0
Benin 0 0
Boer 0 0
Bohemia 0 1
Bolivia 0 0
Bornu 1 1
Brazil 0 0
Briton 0 0
Brittany 0 0
Brunei 0 0
Bulgar 0 1
Bulgaria 3 9
Burgundy 0 2
Burma 0 1
Buyid 0 1
Byzantine 5 9
Cambodia 0 0
Canada 0 0
Carthage 1 2
Castile 1 2
Celts 0 0
Chad 0 0
Chagatai Khanate 0 0
Chalukya 1 3
Champa 0 0
Cherokee 0 0
Chile 0 0
China 11 22
Chola 2 3
Chu 0 1
Colombia 0 0
Congo 0 1
Cordoba 1 2
Crete 0 0
Croatia 0 2
Crusader 1 1
Cuba 0 0
Cuman 0 0
Cyprus 0 0
Dacia 0 1
Dahae 0 0
Đại Việt 3 7
Dali 0 0
Delhi 2 4
Denmark 2 3
Dilmun 0 0
Dzungar 0 1
Egypt 7 14
Elam 1 3
England 4 14
Epirus 0 1
Ethiopia 0 2
Etruria 0 0
Fatimid 2 2
Fez 0 0
Finland 1 1
France 3 12

Edited by DSMyers1 - 12-Jun-2008 at 20:31
C.C.Benjamin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote C.C.Benjamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2008 at 11:45
Dilmun is on your list?  How?  Why?  We don't even know the location of Dilmun and it's only referenced in Sumerian/Akkadian literature.  How is it a candidate? 
Know thyself
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2008 at 13:32
Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

Dilmun is on your list?  How?  Why?  We don't even know the location of Dilmun and it's only referenced in Sumerian/Akkadian literature.  How is it a candidate? 

AFAIK, Dilmun was on Bahrain.  And no, there aren't any leaders for it since our history is so sparse.  I was attempting to write down every country/tribe of note I could to make sure I didn't miss any.  Obviously, once I got into researching Dilmun I found out there weren't any leaders known.
Young Tatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Young Tatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 20:37
Wasn't Ataturk one of the greatest leaders? He was the greatest leader of 20th century.
He was the leader who attacked imperialism first. He was a revolutionary, a great commander and a great president.
Long Live his reforms!
Long Live Turkey, he founded!
Long Live Kemal Atatürk!
You'll never die, You'll live forever in our hearths..
"Independence and Freedom are my character."
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

-----------------------------
Crimean Tatar Independence Movement
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 20:49
OK, you can relax now
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2008 at 22:44
I'm suprised there are no Ottoman leaders.  Very surprised, unless one of our turkish members makes a submission, I'll be willing to give it a go.  It just seems off not to have at least one member of the Ottoman empire on there.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2008 at 02:22
Originally posted by Justinian

I'm suprised there are no Ottoman leaders.  Very surprised, unless one of our turkish members makes a submission, I'll be willing to give it a go.  It just seems off not to have at least one member of the Ottoman empire on there.

I was going through alphabetically and haven't gotten that far yet.  See the list of countries above to see what nations I have already done.  I haven't spent much time on this recently, working instead on the generals list.
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 02:47
If you want to consider anyone from Canada, consider Lester B. Pearson. Although I believe the whole Suez Crisis wasn't as important as it's made it out to be, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in cooling it. Also for Canadians he:

- gave Canada a national identity by creating the maple leaf as a symbol
- ensured de Gaulle never visited Canada again after trying to incise Quebec (province) seperation from Canada
- reduced unemployment to its lowest rate with the Automotive Agreement with the USA
- introduced universal health care which all of us Canadians value

If any Canadian is going to make the list, it's him but it's up to you to determine if he stacks up against the infinite amount of other contenders. That's my two cents for Canada. Smile
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 07:52
Originally posted by DSMyers1

Originally posted by Justinian

I was going through alphabetically and haven't gotten that far yet.  See the list of countries above to see what nations I have already done.  I haven't spent much time on this recently, working instead on the generals list.
Ah, that explains it.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 12:49
Originally posted by Jonathan4290

If you want to consider anyone from Canada, consider Lester B. Pearson. Although I believe the whole Suez Crisis wasn't as important as it's made it out to be, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his role in cooling it. Also for Canadians he:

- gave Canada a national identity by creating the maple leaf as a symbol
- ensured de Gaulle never visited Canada again after trying to incise Quebec (province) seperation from Canada
- reduced unemployment to its lowest rate with the Automotive Agreement with the USA
- introduced universal health care which all of us Canadians value

If any Canadian is going to make the list, it's him but it's up to you to determine if he stacks up against the infinite amount of other contenders. That's my two cents for Canada. Smile

Yeah, I looked at the Canadians.  Using the numerical system I am, it requires someone to make a pretty big splash to get on the list.  Here are the last 10 right now--considering where I am in the alphabet, they will probably all end up getting bumped off:
90 Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington  1769 1852 England
91 Richard I 1157 1199 Crusader
92 Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim 1867 1951 Finland
93 Pulakesi II   642 Chalukya
94 Idris Alooma   1603 Bornu
95 Canute the Great   1035 Denmark
96 As-Saffah 721 754 Abbasid Caliphate
97 Justinian I 482 565 Byzantine
98 Scipio Africanus     Rome
99 Hamilcar Barca 270 BC 228 BC Carthage
100 Mao Zedong 1893 1976 China

Lester Pearson isn't in that league, just on the ol' eyeball test.
Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 17:14

No argument here. LOL Good luck with the list.

Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
Paul Anthony View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Paul Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 18:36
Please, no Canadians. Thumbs%20Down
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2008 at 19:09
Originally posted by Paul Anthony

Please, no Canadians. Thumbs%20Down

You got it Big%20smile
sultanmurad View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sultanmurad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2008 at 16:20
sultan suleyman the magnificient,great alexander,cenghiz khan,napoleon bonaparte,queen victoria,adolf hitler,amir temur are several of top 100 my favourites
we conquered you watch
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2008 at 00:23
The Top 100 Leaders Current Excel File (updated November 4, 2008): Leaders.xls (Includes Macros)

The Top 100 Leaders Quantitative Formula: Top 100 Leaders Formula 3.pdf

I haven't made any new changes, but if anyone wants to help out, feel free to work on this!  In the Excel file are lists of what nations have been worked on this far.
Red4tribe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red4tribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 14:11
Originally posted by DSMyers1

The Top 100 Leaders Current Excel File (updated November 4, 2008): Leaders.xls (Includes Macros)

The Top 100 Leaders Quantitative Formula: Top 100 Leaders Formula 3.pdf

I haven't made any new changes, but if anyone wants to help out, feel free to work on this!  In the Excel file are lists of what nations have been worked on this far.

What do you think of adding William the Silent? The father of the Netherlands? He led the Dutch provinces together for 20 years against the Spanish, protecting them from Religious persecution until his assasination in 1584.
Had this day been wanting, the world had never seen the last stage of perfection to which human nature is capable of attaining.

George Washington - March 15, 1783

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2008 at 10:43
Surprised the lack of prominent Greeks.

No Pericles?

No Alcibiades?

No Themistocles?

Themistocles should DEFINITELY be on the list of great leaders in my opinion, and the other two are worthy of consideration also.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:12

King Gustavus The Great of Sweden. Single handedly responsible for the "Golden Age of Sweden" which also earned him the epithet "The Golden King". During his reign, Sweden rose from the status as a mere regional power to one of the most powerful countries in europe.

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 01:31
What about Joan of Arc?

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2008 at 14:08
Hello to you all

About the leaders, here are some notes that need to be taken about the Arabs:

1- Al-Saffah: He doesn't deserve to be on the list, he was just a puppet for his uncles, brother and henchmen. Abu Jaafar Al-Mansur should be on the list, he is the one who really founded the dynasty and stengthened it by ending all external and internal threats and he also built Baghdad and started the translation movement.

2-Saladin: He also doesn't deserve to be on the list either. His legacy was limited to a part of the world and was not lasting, unless you count the Mamelukes.

3-Khalid Ibn Al-Walid: He was a military genious but that is it.

AL-Jassas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>