Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Kurds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Kurds?
    Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 07:28
Hushyar, i said that i did not believe the theory i presented. I only put it out to have another aspect to the discussion.

The explanations you gave make a lot more sense to me, personally.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2005 at 10:39
Hushyar, you may be right, but the current Kurdish spoken in Turkey has not much difference with Persian, except its spelling which became closer to Turkish. It's no different than regular Persian except its vocabulary heavily influenced with Turkish and a little with Arabic.
Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 00:39

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Hushyar, i said that i did not believe the theory i presented. I only put it out to have another aspect to the discussion.

The explanations you gave make a lot more sense to me, personally.

Your welcome

Hushyar View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Hushyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2005 at 00:40

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Hushyar, you may be right

I am definitly right.

but the current Kurdish spoken in Turkey has not much difference with Persian, except its spelling which became closer to Turkish. It's no different than regular Persian except its vocabulary heavily influenced with Turkish and a little with Arabic.

1)If by curent Kurdish you mean kurmanji,I must say that persian and kurmanji are uninterchangable and if you have any doubt I can test you,which language are you familiar with Persian or Kurdish?

2)Borrowing words from neighboring languages specially official languages is natural and actually expands the vocabulary of that language.Can we say that othman Turkish was not a proper languae because it had many arabic words?The only problem is that these borrowing must not change the substructure of that language.And Kurmanji has borrowed some words from Turkish,But they are not that much,As I told Earlier,I never was in Turkey but I was in contact with many kurds in Tueky and Europe and their language was not artificial and full of forieghn words but a very natural and descent language there was some dialectial diference but they were not so much.
And influence of Arabic is much greater in Kurdish than Turkish.Why? I don't know but it is.

Believe me that your knowledge in Kurdish does not help you to underestand Persian.It just simplifies learning persian and vice versa.

Shahanshah View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Shahanshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 14:03

Kurds are Iranian, their language is Indo-Iranian, they are aryan. Kurdistan is and shall be part of IRAN.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2005 at 06:29

So northern Khorasan (southern Turkmenistan), southern Azerbaijan (in Iran) and the region around Shiraz is and shall be shared btw Turkey, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan, or shall be part of the Western Turkish (Turkmen-Oguz) Union of those three states...

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2005 at 12:02
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds
It's not any excellent article because political opinions seem to have affected its redaction, restricting much its scope, etc. Still it mentions, as I had heard before, that Xenophon the ancient Greek historian recorded the Kurds in the Anabasis as "Khardukhi" a fierce and protective mountain dwelling peoples who attacked his armies in 400 BC.

So guess that we can concede that Kurds have been there (quite silently) at least the last 2400 years. I can guess that could be well the Indo-Europeized descendants of some of the most ancient dwellers of the region but this is speculative. They could also be descendant of the Mitanni, a Hurrian (Caucasic speaking?) people whose elite spoke a IE language of the Indo-Iranian group.  But guess that they could also had been linguistically assimilated by any of the different successive Iranian empires that ruled the region  in Ancient times (Persian, Medes, Sassanids...).

What is clear is that they aren't Turk or Arabs and any relationship with Iranian or Caucasic peoples is diffuminated by milennia of separation and also surely by the different substratum on which the IE tongues stabilished on.

It's also clear that while Turks, for instance, only have a very small proportion of "true" Turk blood (genes), being basically descendants of the peoples that were dwelling in the region since early Neolithic times, the same reasoning can be applied for Kurds. These peoples haven't migrated but only their elites have. Peasants stay most of the time attached to the land and are almost impossible to be exterminated as can happen with nomadic tribes (the best examples of that are in Latin America, where agricultural natives still remain being the core of the population in places like Peru and Bolivia and others).
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 11:05

Originally posted by Maju

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds
It's not any excellent article because political opinions seem to have affected its redaction, restricting much its scope, etc. Still it mentions, as I had heard before, that Xenophon the ancient Greek historian recorded the Kurds in the Anabasis as "Khardukhi" a fierce and protective mountain dwelling peoples who attacked his armies in 400 BC.

So guess that we can concede that Kurds have been there (quite silently) at least the last 2400 years. I can guess that could be well the Indo-Europeized descendants of some of the most ancient dwellers of the region but this is speculative. They could also be descendant of the Mitanni, a Hurrian (Caucasic speaking?) people whose elite spoke a IE language of the Indo-Iranian group.  But guess that they could also had been linguistically assimilated by any of the different successive Iranian empires that ruled the region  in Ancient times (Persian, Medes, Sassanids...).

What is clear is that they aren't Turk or Arabs and any relationship with Iranian or Caucasic peoples is diffuminated by milennia of separation and also surely by the different substratum on which the IE tongues stabilished on.

It's also clear that while Turks, for instance, only have a very small proportion of "true" Turk blood (genes), being basically descendants of the peoples that were dwelling in the region since early Neolithic times, the same reasoning can be applied for Kurds. These peoples haven't migrated but only their elites have. Peasants stay most of the time attached to the land and are almost impossible to be exterminated as can happen with nomadic tribes (the best examples of that are in Latin America, where agricultural natives still remain being the core of the population in places like Peru and Bolivia and others).

Why do you think that the Kurds must had been originally a non-Iranian people and later have been assimilated by "Iranian rule"??

To me,The Kurds haven't changed substantialy from ancient times.

Look at this map,showing the original Proto-Indo-European homeland:

Now,look at this map,showing Kurdish-speaking lands:

It's obvious that the Kurds are descended from the the Proto-Indo-European stock.They are living in the lands,that was the home of PIE peoples,thousands of years ago and since the Kurds are a warrior,brave,usually endogam,and isolated people,We can easily conclude that the Kurds are purest descendants of the PIE people.

Edited by Ardashir
http://khakokhoon.blogfa.com
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 11:43
Wow, I havent known that east-central Anatolia was Kurdish speaking. Interesting paint job...
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 12:26

Wow, I havent known that east-central Anatolia was Kurdish speaking. Interesting paint job...

And now,you know!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2005 at 16:08
I am of the rather serious opinion that IE tongues come from Central Asia (Kurgan theory). There are no references of IEs living in the Near East in ancient times before the arrival of Hittites and Mittani. Sumer was... Sumerian, Elam Dravidic, Akkad, Assyria and others Semitic (Afroasian), Hurrians Caucasic most likely, Egypt Afroasian too (Hamitic), Hatti non-IE (we don't know exactly what they spoke)... where do you get those IEs suddenly springing from precisely Kurdistan?

At the spring of Neolithic Age the area was divided in two cultural groups: those of the Levant (Syria, Palestine, etc) and those of the North (Anatolia  and Kurdistan). The former seem to have been locally evolved, the latter could well have migrated from the North and even the West in earlier times (Paleolithic Gravetian culture). As I have no reason to think that IE was out of Central Asia at that time (see below), I tend to think that these, along with other groups of Eastern Gravetian background spoke maybe ancient tongues of the Caucasic families (as the Caucasus was also of Gravetian cultural background, as well as Ukraine and Russia). This is maybe too risky but at least makes some sense.

Recently several philologists seem to have concluded in separate but concordant studies (quoted by Cavalli-Sforza in Genes, Peoples and Tongues) that IE is clearly related in a linguistical superfamily with Altaic and Uralic families, well known to have sprang from Central Asia and Siberia. So I think this confirms pretty much the Kurgan theory of IE origins.

Also, please, show me the slightest proof of that map being real and just not a fancy imaginary artwork. IEs are not located in the Near East before 2000 BCE (Hittites), while they seem to have been (following the Kurgan theory) in Eastern Europe since 3500 BCE. This is not concordant with your funny map either.

Also, you can trace archaeologically the Jamnaja Kultura (original Kurgans) to the Scythes who were a IE speaking people, related with Persian and Medes (and probably directly with all the Eastern IE subfamily).  They dwelt basically in Central Asia, expanding at times to southern Russia and Ukraine.

Additionally, you can trace archaeologically a related group: the Culture of Catacombs (the Caucasian-Russian one, not the Italian one of the same name) to the Cymmerians, another IE-speaking people known historically.

You can also trace a branch of the early Kurgan related expansion  in Europe to early Germanic peoples (in Scandinavia and Lower Germany), another IE-speaking group well traced.

So everything points to the Kurgan theory having at least some serious weight and that means that IEs are originally from Central Asia, what also explains quite well their double expansion towards Iran-India (eastern branch) and towards Europe (western branch).
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 00:10

The Kurds were much smaller during Antiquity. They lived in what is now called northern-most Iraq and the Hakkari province of Turkey. They weren't as spread-out as Ardashir claims. Most of what is called 'Northern Kurdistan' was Armenian land.

Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 05:29

I am of the rather serious opinion that IE tongues come from Central Asia (Kurgan theory). There are no references of IEs living in the Near East in ancient times before the arrival of Hittites and Mittani. Sumer was... Sumerian, Elam Dravidic, Akkad, Assyria and others Semitic (Afroasian), Hurrians Caucasic most likely, Egypt Afroasian too (Hamitic), Hatti non-IE (we don't know exactly what they spoke)... where do you get those IEs suddenly springing from precisely Kurdistan?

At the spring of Neolithic Age the area was divided in two cultural groups: those of the Levant (Syria, Palestine, etc) and those of the North (Anatolia  and Kurdistan). The former seem to have been locally evolved, the latter could well have migrated from the North and even the West in earlier times (Paleolithic Gravetian culture). As I have no reason to think that IE was out of Central Asia at that time (see below), I tend to think that these, along with other groups of Eastern Gravetian background spoke maybe ancient tongues of the Caucasic families (as the Caucasus was also of Gravetian cultural background, as well as Ukraine and Russia). This is maybe too risky but at least makes some sense.

Recently several philologists seem to have concluded in separate but concordant studies (quoted by Cavalli-Sforza in Genes, Peoples and Tongues) that IE is clearly related in a linguistical superfamily with Altaic and Uralic families, well known to have sprang from Central Asia and Siberia. So I think this confirms pretty much the Kurgan theory of IE origins.

Also, please, show me the slightest proof of that map being real and just not a fancy imaginary artwork. IEs are not located in the Near East before 2000 BCE (Hittites), while they seem to have been (following the Kurgan theory) in Eastern Europe since 3500 BCE. This is not concordant with your funny map either.

Also, you can trace archaeologically the Jamnaja Kultura (original Kurgans) to the Scythes who were a IE speaking people, related with Persian and Medes (and probably directly with all the Eastern IE subfamily).  They dwelt basically in Central Asia, expanding at times to southern Russia and Ukraine.

Additionally, you can trace archaeologically a related group: the Culture of Catacombs (the Caucasian-Russian one, not the Italian one of the same name) to the Cymmerians, another IE-speaking people known historically.

You can also trace a branch of the early Kurgan related expansion  in Europe to early Germanic peoples (in Scandinavia and Lower Germany), another IE-speaking group well traced.

So everything points to the Kurgan theory having at least some serious weight and that means that IEs are originally from Central Asia, what also explains quite well their double expansion towards Iran-India (eastern branch) and towards Europe (western branch).

The Kurgan theory is an outdated Theory my Turk.Now,it has been proven that the PIE people's homland was in Western Asia and exactly in your own country: the Turkey,and probably in Eastern Turkey.

Read these links carefully:

http://www.indoeuro.bizland.com/archive/article14.html

In the above like,you will read:

"As it is easily seen in the Indo-European Chronology, the first documents written in single Indo-European languages, appear around 1900 BC (Hittite), 1600 BC (Aryan), 1400 BC (Mycenaean Greek). "

As you see,2 out of 3 of the first Indo-european written documents (Aryan and Hittite) have been written by those IE's who were living in Western Asia and not in Central Asia.Even the Greece is much closer to Westeran Asia than to Central Asia.

Also we read that:

" All that helped the research very much, but still the matter is under discussion. Still another discipline which studies the issue is the comparison of Indo-European and other language families. Linguists already in the previous century tried to find common roots in Indo-European and Semitic languages, and not just words of common origin, but the loanwords, to show that some contacts took place between Proto-IE and Proto-Semitic peoples. They were a success, and today more than 20 words are found which can be a proof of ancient close language contacts between ethnic groups before they moved from their homelands. Among them, linguistics name IE *tauro- and Semitic *tawr- (a bull), IE  *ghaid- (a goat) and Semitic *gadj- (a goat cub) etc. The same borrowed lexics were borrowed by Indo-Europeans from other Afroasiatic, Caucasian, Urartian, Hurrian, Sumerian  languages. Building on this, Gamkrelidze and Ivanov believe that the Indo-European homeland lay in Northern Mesopotamia, between the Caucasus and Anatolia, in what is now Kurdistan and Armenia. "l

I ask you! where the Semitic peoples were and are living? in the Central Asia or in the Western Asia?

http://www.indoeuro.bizland.com/archive/article17.html

In the link above,you will find a map like this:

The map is showing the Aryan (=Indo-Iranian) homeland.Now, Where is the place number 2? Isn't it Kurdistan?!

And now,my winner card,the well-known "nature" magazine,accept that the PIE's homaland was in Anatolia,which was the home of the Kurds for thousands of years:

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/jour nal/v426/n6965/abs/nature02029_fs.html&dynoptions=doi106 9902039

Next time,you must be more accurate and impolite either! later!

Edited by Ardashir
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 05:53
Originally posted by Artaxiad

The Kurds were much smaller during Antiquity. They lived in what is now called northern-most Iraq and the Hakkari province of Turkey. They weren't as spread-out as Ardashir claims. Most of what is called 'Northern Kurdistan' was Armenian land.

Prove it!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 07:00
Ardashir: I'm not Turk, I'm Basque and I strongly support the Kurdish cause. Still I can't agree with those theories placing IE roots in SW Asia only because the first written texts come from that region. This is self evidently due to the fact that written language was still unexistent in any of the other regions populated by IEs (or by other peoples, like Basques too). Written proof is proof of the fact that there were IE-speaking peoples there at the times you give and possibly before but it is not any proof of origin. For instance, Latin was first written in Rome and nearby areas, still Latins and other Italic peoples (IEs) had came from Southern Germany as archaelogical evidence shows quite clearly; Germanic was first written in France maybe but Germans came from Scandinavia and nearby regions, etc.

I say that the original IEs were most likely the carriers of the Jamnaja Kultura east of Volga (it seems that I am coincident with that Mr. Jain, whose name is the first time I read, by the way) and these can be perfectly traced from 3500 BCE to the Scythians of historical times.

Here is my suggested scheme of IE chronological evolution traced through archaeology basically:

Naturally, I have some doubts and blanks (like the origin of Albanians, Greeks and Thracians, or how come Latin is so close to German while so diferent from Celtic? Or what's the precise origin or the Kurdish language?) but for the main part of the issue I think I did a pretty good synthetizing archaeological data. Hope you can make some use of it.

Edited by Maju
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 07:33
Here there is a map showing the main steps of early IE expansion in Europe and Asia Minor as far I know (from 3500 to 1500 BCE aprox.). Notice that the Cholcidian culture (proto-Armenians) aren't derived from the Jamnaja Kultura (Kurgans) but they seem to have got separated earlier. This can also be the case of Hittites (thogh I admit I have blanks in my knowledege of the archaeology of that area and philology of the Hittite tongue).

Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 11:30

Ardashir: I'm not Turk, I'm Basque and I strongly support the Kurdish cause. Still I can't agree with those theories placing IE roots in SW Asia only because the first written texts come from that region. This is self evidently due to the fact that written language was still unexistent in any of the other regions populated by IEs (or by other peoples, like Basques too). Written proof is proof of the fact that there were IE-speaking peoples there at the times you give and possibly before but it is not any proof of origin. For instance, Latin was first written in Rome and nearby areas, still Latins and other Italic peoples (IEs) had came from Southern Germany as archaelogical evidence shows quite clearly; Germanic was first written in France maybe but Germans came from Scandinavia and nearby regions, etc.

I say that the original IEs were most likely the carriers of the Jamnaja Kultura east of Volga (it seems that I am coincident with that Mr. Jain, whose name is the first time I read, by the way) and these can be perfectly traced from 3500 BCE to the Scythians of historical times.

Here is my suggested scheme of IE chronological evolution traced through archaeology basically:

Naturally, I have some doubts and blanks (like the origin of Albanians, Greeks and Thracians, or how come Latin is so close to German while so diferent from Celtic? Or what's the precise origin or the Kurdish language?) but for the main part of the issue I think I did a pretty good synthetizing archaeological data. Hope you can make some use of it.

Your theories are outdated.

Edited by Ardashir
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 13:57
Why?

I made it myself only a few years ago based in the most modern and accurate archaeological research I could find. I'm not expressing the opinions of others... nor any fashion... but my own personal coclusions.

If you have discrepances why don't you write about them? I will surely find them interesting, specially if they are as sound and well researched as your disqualification seems to imply.

Yet, bring your "ultimate" theories and the facts behind to the forum, please.
Ardashir View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Ardashir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 14:15

Why?

I made it myself only a few years ago based in the most modern and accurate archaeological research I could find. I'm not expressing the opinions of others... nor any fashion... but my own personal coclusions.

If you have discrepances why don't you write about them? I will surely find them interesting, specially if they are as sound and well researched as your disqualification seems to imply.

Yet, bring your "ultimate" theories and the facts behind to the forum, please.

My links are enough and more than enough for rejection of your outdated theories.

But once again I ask you:

What's your explanation for existance of several common words between Proto-Indo-European and Proto-Semitic languages?

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 19:13

Prove it!

The area I told you about used to be an Armenian province. It was called Kordchaik, which basically means Armenian Kurdistan. The same area was called Beth Qardu by Assyrians and Gordyene by Romans. All of this is surely the equivalent of Kurdistan. I got my information here.

http://www.parthia.com/parthia_cities.htm>>

Kurds were relocated in the Armenian Highlands by Ottoman Sultans, so that the population of Christian Armenians and Muslims becomes balanced...

Edited by Artaxiad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>