Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

YO BOIZ...!!!! Guest what i found!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YO BOIZ...!!!! Guest what i found!!!
    Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 07:08

Edited by babyblue
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 08:20

two things for sure:

the winning army with fire arms is the ming chinese army shown by the flags they are holding

the retreating force is the japanese

i am guessing it's ming's campaign against japan in korea

Edited by coolstorm
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 08:29

it's actually a combined Ming and Korean army against the japanese...the cavalry and other fish-scale amoured warriors are chinese. the sandy coloured ones are korean...including the one holding the firearm....and yes...the ones getting thrashed are the japanese..

note the musket that one of the japanese has dropped....

ah also...correct me if i'm wrong..

Edited by babyblue
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 08:38
firmarms spread from china to all over including europe by the end of late ming.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 08:48

the sandy colored ones should be ming as well according to the helmet that theyre wearing. it's a ming style helmet.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 08:54
      then who are the Koreans? surely they couldn't be the darker coloured one..'cause they are chinese...
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 08:58
i guess they are all chinese. the korean force accounted for 1/10 of the combined force against japan in the late ming dynasty. they didn't play an important role in the campaign.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 19:00
Originally posted by coolstorm

i guess they are all chinese. the korean force accounted for 1/10 of the combined force against japan in the late ming dynasty. they didn't play an important role in the campaign.

Umm...what?  So what did we do...sit around all day eating rice and kimchi?

The people in yellow look more Chinese...and Looking at one of the Samurai's helmets...(it's really tall) it looks to be an allusion to Kato Kiyomasa.  If this is true, the soldiers would be Korean as it was one of my ancestors who drove him out of Northern Korea.  The Honorable Jung Minbu of the Haeju Jungs...muhahaha

On a more serious note, I think the ethnicity of the soldiers depends on whoever drew it.

Korean helmet

Here are some more paintings of the so called "Ming Campaign in Korea"...better known as the Imjin Waeran in Korea.

Battle of Haengju Sansung

Death of Yi Soonshin

Depiction of turtle ships by (Korean, Japanese, Chinese?) Artist after the Imjin Waeran

Edited by Gubukjanggoon
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 21:43

"i guess they are all chinese. the korean force accounted for 1/10 of the combined force against japan in the late ming dynasty"

Chosun army played subdordinate role during 1597-1598 war.  However, Chosun army numbered more than 1/10th of Ming army during this time.  Troop strength of Ming, Chosun, and Japan during Imjin war is as follow.

Year         Ming troops         Chosun troops        Japaneses troops

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------

1592~3      74,000                  60,000                     200,000

1597~8     117,000    ;           ;   37,600       ;           ;   140,000

Total         191,000          ;       97,600   ;           ;       340,000

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 22:04

Hey Gubuk,

The picture depicting turtle ships shouldn't be painted by a Chinese (because the style seems unfamiliar.)  It looks Japanese, but then I've very little knowledge of Korean paintings so I can't say it's not Korean.

Peace,

Michael

12-2-2004

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2004 at 22:05
The CHinese played a large role in the north, while Korean armies played a larger role in the south.
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 00:47

All sides played equally important roles. The siege of the Korean castle (I forgot its name) is actually, according to my Korean neighbor, the first battle in which Korean women mobilized and fought alongside the men. Note the anti-assault weapons: the chained iron club on staff, as well as the rocket car. Not to mention the dying Yi Sun Shin...

But again, this battle could be any battle. The first painting is probably one done by some talented fan artist of the time period...

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 02:42
   then who are the two mounted soldiers? sure that big knife he's wielding is a chinese weapon...
Infini View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Infini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 05:41
i think they chinese, the one on left might be korean but prolli chinese. They are higher ranking officers, you can tell by their thicker armor and helmet. Also the Kwandao was a favored weapon for chinese generals so it makes sense. the mounted general on the left has high cheek bones (more contemproary paintings depict koreans with high cheek bones), but likely chinese.

My guess if there are any koreans they are in the back with the round helmets that has no tassle. there are some in between the generals and on the right three people up.
hi
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 09:01

It seems that I have more pictures about turtle ship than you all,heheh

the model of Turtle ship was made by a company in Beijing

Edited by hannibal
Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 12:45
           hrm....why has my thread turned into one about turtle ships?
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 13:17
Hmmm...
I don't know.

Anyway, I am sure those soldiers are those of the Ming Imperial Army. It is a spit in the Korean face if the Koreans are fighting with Ming banners. The Ming army allowed the Koreans to carry their own banners and the Emperor also praised admiral Yi Shun Shin for his brave deeds. Ming dynasty, in the 7 years war, did not force Korea to fly Ming colors.
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 14:00
Originally posted by sephodwyrm

The first painting is probably one done by some talented fan artist of the time period...

No way.  It looks far too modern and Westernized.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 17:56
Mengtzu-  They're not too sure who painted it.  It was just recently discovered out of a dead guys personal collection.  Most people lean towards the Japanese theory.

sephodwyrm-  The battle you're talking about is the battle of Haengju Sansung.  If you look to the far right of the painting you will see women carrying rocks in their aprons to be thrown on the attackers.  Because of their actions, the word Haengju has come to mean apron.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 18:25

Year         Ming troops         Chosun troops        Japaneses troops

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------

1592~3      74,000                  60,000                     200,000

1597~8     117,000    ; ; ;           ; ; ;   37,600       ; ; ;           ; ; ;   140,000

Total         191,000          ; ; ;       97,600   ; ; ;           ; ; ;       340,000

Keep in mind that almost all Korean troops during imjin war were civilian forces.  The Official trained Korean army were crumbled in the first 2 major battle versus the japanese, and were left to retreat with the king all the way to north.  Yi sun shin's army was mostly composed of civilian forces.  Same with Kwon Yul.  In fact, almost all korean victories were by civilian forces.   (Yes, with pitchforks and daggers) And I don't think they were counted in that number.

----------

btw, that picture seems like a modern computer altered picture.  But seeing how that archer has a korean bow (stereotpic feature of korean army), that army on left should be Koreans. 

According to what I've read so far...I think the battle is a depiction of battle of Pyongyang- one that took 187000 men to come out with 6600.  Really intensive battle.

Edited by demon
Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>