Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worst misunderstandings in Turkish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst misunderstandings in Turkish
    Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 02:56
Turkish is a language which has great regional variations, which sometimes can put us in very inconvenient and embarassing situations. I speak the Rumelian dialect of Turkish, which is somewhat different than the official Turkish language. My aunt, who moved to Turkey many years ago, had discovered those differences in the difficult way.

When she was asked about her profession in Bulgaria, she replied: "Ben Bulgaristan'da paviliyon'da calistim ve kocamin haremi vardi"
Which in Rumelian simply means,

In Bulgraia, I worked in a small grocery shop, and my husbdan had a little garden.

But in formal Turkish this could be interpreted, as

In Bulgaria, I was a prostitute, and my husband had a harem with many wives.

My aunt said people did not look very kindly on her when she said this.

Have you also been in such an embarrassing situation due to variations in the language you speak?

Edited by bg_turk - 17-Aug-2006 at 03:03
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 02:59
A similar example also exist between Azeri Turkish and Istanbulite Turkish.

In Azeri Turkish: Menim bir kerhanem var, menim hanim arada bir yardima gidir.

Meaning, I got a warehouse, and my wife helps with work from time to time.

But in standard Turkish, the meaning is entirely different:
"I got a whorehouse (brothel), and my wife workse there from time to time"

Also there is the classic joke about Azeri Turkish ...  in Azeri Turkish "dusmek" means to land, whereas in Turkish it means to fall. One can almost imagine the reaction of the turks unaware of this fact on the Istanbul-Baku flight when the stuardess announces in her typical azeri accent that "The plain is preparing to fall into Baku."

Edited by bg_turk - 17-Aug-2006 at 03:02
The Gypo View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote The Gypo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 06:50
hahahahaha @ bg turk's example...it seems that Turkish people encounter the same problems as Arabic-speaking people

does the dialect change according to region? or geography...meaning do northerners sound different to southerners? or is it random
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 10:29
Originally posted by bg_turk

A similar example also exist between Azeri Turkish and Istanbulite Turkish.

In Azeri Turkish: Menim bir kerhanem var, menim hanim arada bir yardima gidir.

Meaning, I got a warehouse, and my wife helps with work from time to time.

But in standard Turkish, the meaning is entirely different:
"I got a whorehouse (brothel), and my wife workse there from time to time"

Also there is the classic joke about Azeri Turkish ...  in Azeri Turkish "dusmek" means to land, whereas in Turkish it means to fall. One can almost imagine the reaction of the turks unaware of this fact on the Istanbul-Baku flight when the stuardess announces in her typical azeri accent that "The plain is preparing to fall into Baku."

LOLLOLLOL

I have experienced this: I sometimes speack a little turkish with my turk friends, a Turkish friend of mine wanted to couple his female cousine with another turkish man, whom i know very well. He said me she is a nice person and very talented and so. And dann he siad she is "bikar", which in istanbulite turkish means virgin, but bikar means in azeri and in persian jobless.LOL I thought she is looking for a job and said him it is better he asks my father, maybe he will take herLOLLOLLOLLOL

Edited by Maziar - 17-Aug-2006 at 10:31
osmanlija View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote osmanlija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 11:15
im also Rumelian Turk and i have funny stories with my relatives who visit Turkey.I want to tell a funny story that is told often in our community.Once a turkish girl from Bulgaria went  to a cafe in the city where i live.The waiter asked her "what do you like to drink?" an she answered "bana bi sok lutfen"
"sok" means "juice" in Bulgarian.But in turkish when you found a sentence like that it means  in slang "f.ck me once please".
There are many more funny things.I will write when i remember more

Edited by osmanlija - 17-Aug-2006 at 11:16
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 12:02
what about when the teh plain is landing what in azeri means were landing means were crashing in turkish
picture the turkish pasangers on azeri airline flight
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 14:45
In standard Turkish silah is gun or weapon.
In old Turkish it was yarak
In modern Turkish yarak is a slang word and it means simply penis. 
In Turkmenistan yarak is used to refer to a gun.
That'is big confusion.
Bardak is a glass in Anatolian Turkish.
The same means brothel in Uzbek Turkish.
Bull....!!!!
Except Anatolian Turkish amost all Turkic languages use tepelemek referring to f.ck off, piss off, screw as a slang word. In Anatolian Turkish it simply means 'to kick off, to beat up.

Ishemek means to urinate in Anatolian Turkish. But in other Turkish languages it means get a job, be engaged in a job, go to work, be busy.
Just a matter of confusion.

Thinking that when someone urinates he is busy, is not he? Interesting changes in meanings by time....
Savdogar View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Savdogar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 14:21
In uzbek

yarak --in uzbek means "needed"
however it can be weapon when "qurol-yaroq"
silah is old word.
bardak is russian origin
tepelemek - does not mean f**king, there is "beautiful" word - sikmoq
tepelemek - means kick, beat.

ALSO in UZBEK, KORHONA means office, firm, company.
i guess in turkish it is BAD word.

what about "matras" in Turkish?was it prostitude or i am mistaken?
...i dont need this...
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 08:17
The word Korhona or karhane is in fact the persian word "kar khane" (work house) and means fabric
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 11:59
Originally posted by osmanlija

im also Rumelian Turk and i have funny stories with my relatives who visit Turkey.I want to tell a funny story that is told often in our community.Once a turkish girl from Bulgaria went  to a cafe in the city where i live.The waiter asked her "what do you like to drink?" an she answered "bana bi sok lutfen"
"sok" means "juice" in Bulgarian.But in turkish when you found a sentence like that it means  in slang "f.ck me once please".
There are many more funny things.I will write when i remember more

"bana bi sok lutfen" lol LOL

I can't stop from laughing!LOLLOL
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 16:52
I want to add something here:

My friend - turk told me, that in Turkey the name Reyhan is only a female name. But in Bulgaria it is also a male name. So when some bulgarian Reyhan goes to Turkey, the other turks asked him: "What, what, what `s your name? Are you sure? Are you male, or what?!"

And i know one turk from Turkey, who is a student in Bulgaria. In the end of the semester, before his return to Turkey for the summer-vacation, he told in bulgarian to his favorite bulgarian teacher: "I`ll tell to my friends in Turkey, that you are my favorite teacher and that you have a very nice character, and i like it." But he forgot the bulgarian word for "character", and used the turkish word - "huyu".
So he said: "I`ll tell to my friends in Turkey, that you are my favorite teacher and that you have a very nice huyu, and i like it."
But in bulgarian, there is a word which sounds very very similar with "huyu", and means "dick/cock" (vulgar form for "penis").
I`ll never forget the face of his teacher, when he heard: "I`ll tell to my friends in Turkey, that you are my favorite teacher and that you have a very nice cock, and i like it."
LOL

Edited by The Chargemaster - 21-Aug-2006 at 16:53
osmanlija View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote osmanlija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 18:39
"you have a very nice huyu, and i like it"LOL
and one real story here
"muhacirlerden bir kadın bir okulda hademe olarak işe başlamış. Okulda da kutlamalar varmış. Mdr konuşma yapacakmış. Kadın da mdrn yanında iken mdrn  bir  konuşma yapacağını ğrenmiş.Mdrne de yaranmak istiyor ya, demiş ki:
    -Mdr bey,siz madem bir konuşma yapacaksınız, ben sizi konuşma ncesinde bir DZEYiM.
    Mdr şaşırarak "ne diyorsun sen" diye sormuş. Kadın da :
   -E ne var bunda?Ben Bulgaristan'dayken de mdrm dzerdim.
   Mdr iyice şoka girerek "nasıl yani" diye sormuş. Kadın da:
   -Eee Bulgaristan'daki dğnlerde gelinleri de dzerler.
   Mdr iyice şaşırmış ve demiş ki:
   -Yok, Sevcan hanım. Siz beni dzmeye kalkmayın. Bu yaştan son-ra... Tvbe tbeeeeee..."
i want to translate it.Its so funny.
One woman who is a Bulgarian Turk started a job as a servant at school.There were some celebrations at school.The principle was supposed to talk in front of the school.That woman learned that and tried to help the principle and said "Mr Principle since you will speak today in front of the school,let me F.CK you before you speak"(im telling directly the meaning in standart Istanbulite Turkish,that sentence mean "let me help you to get ready to talk"in Rumelian Turkish)(dzmek means to f.ck in slang in Turkey but Bulgarian Turks didnt know about it before)And the principle gets surprised and asked "what do you wanna say?".The woman answered "Whats bad with that?Also in Bulgaria i always f.cked my principle"(this is again the meaning in slang)The principle got in shock and asked " how did you do that?"The woman answered "in Bulgaria in weddings also brides are f.cked"(she tries to say that they ready the brides' clothes before wedding)The principle got so surprised and said "no way ,Mrs Sevcan,pls dont f.ck me after that age"
Im sure the ones who understand the Turkish version will burst of laughingLOL

Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 18:48
Originally posted by Savdogar

In uzbek

yarak --in uzbek means "needed"
however it can be weapon when "qurol-yaroq"
silah is old word.
bardak is russian origin
tepelemek - does not mean f**king, there is "beautiful" word - sikmoq
tepelemek - means kick, beat.

ALSO in UZBEK, KORHONA means office, firm, company.
i guess in turkish it is BAD word.

what about "matras" in Turkish?was it prostitude or i am mistaken?
Thanks for valuable Uzbek information.
Kiymetli zbekche bilgileri ichin sagh ol.

Yes metres (Fr. Maitresse) is a woman that a married man has affairs with, unknown by his real wife. Not exactly prostitute but not good thing.
In colloquial language , dost tutmak is also said.
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 08:34
Ok people a funny question, how comes that the most missunderstanding themes between turks and bulgars are "below the belt" Big smile?
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 09:21
Dirty thinking, I guess... Wink
Btw, keep posting such examples! They're just great! "You have a very nice huyu and I like it"... LOL
Thank goodness that I haven't had similar accidents with the Bulgarian dialects! Maybe because some of them (like the Rhodopean dialect) are almost undecipherable for me...
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 13:00
Yaraq is, in Turkmen, 'instrument; something needed'. It could be used as 'gun' too; but the proper word for 'gun' is 'miltiq'.

'Tepelemek' is 'to get on something by your feet'. It's 'basalamaq'.

'Silah ' is originally Arabic. By the way, the Turkish 'bardak' is originaly 'batraq'. Just like the difference between 'yalngyshmaq' (Turkmen) and 'yanglishmaq' (Ozbek) which mean 'to make a mistake'. Is that really of Russian origin since Turkmens, Kazaks and Kyrkizes have got also 'betre(k)' which is something like 'oqura(q)' which is bigger than a glass?

Edited by gok_toruk - 23-Aug-2006 at 03:15
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 01:18
Originally posted by Maziar

Ok people a funny question, how comes that the most missunderstanding themes between turks and bulgars are "below the belt" Big smile?

It is not only restricted to us. There exist similar misunderstandings between Spaniards and Latin Americans.

For example, in Spain "coger"means to catch, seize, whereas in Latin America it means to f**k.

Edited by bg_turk - 24-Aug-2006 at 01:32
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 01:32
Originally posted by osmanlija

"bana bi sok lutfen"

Thanks, for telling me that. To be honest I never knew that sok meant such a bad thing in Anatolian Turkish. I will make sure none of my female acquaintances uses such an expression in Turkey. :-)

I just remembered one more embarrasing situation.

Whenever I chat online, I never bother to type with the Turkish letters, and just use the standard English transliteration. Once I was trying to say that I was really bored, and without thinking I just typed "cok sikildim" which actually means I got really f**ked.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 01:43
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

So he said: "I`ll tell to my friends in Turkey, that you are my favorite teacher and that you have a very nice huyu, and i like it."
But in bulgarian, there is a word which sounds very very similar with "huyu", and means "dick/cock" (vulgar form for "penis").
I`ll never forget the face of his teacher, when he heard: "I`ll tell to my friends in Turkey, that you are my favorite teacher and that you have a very nice cock, and i like it."
LOL

"HUY" in Turkish means habbit. Due to the bad connotations it carries in the Bulgarian language I personally avoid to use it, but for people who are less familiar with the Bulgarian language, such gaffes are unavoidable.  In Karjali some people use a mixed form of TurkoBulgarian or BulgaroTurkish depending on how you look at it. When you are bilingual it is simply unavoidable to use a word from the other language, when you cant think of that word in your language.

But this of course is quite a bad habbit, not only because it makes what you speak not understandable to native Turks or Bulgarians who are unfamilar with the other language, but because it can lead you to bad and potentially dangerous situations such as those described by yourself.

"Gospodine, imate prekrasen huy."
Meaning "Sir, you have a great dick." rather than the intended "Sir, you have a great habbit"

or

"Bana bir sok lutfen."
Meaning "f**k me, please" rather than the indented "For me a juice, please."

Big smile
LOL

Edited by bg_turk - 24-Aug-2006 at 01:44
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2006 at 01:51
Originally posted by NikeBG

Thank goodness that I haven't had similar accidents with the Bulgarian dialects! Maybe because some of them (like the Rhodopean dialect) are almost undecipherable for me...

The Bulgarian spoken in the Rhodops is actually not that hard to understand since it is not that different from the official Bulgarian language. I personally find the Shop language much harder to decipher.

Once a Shop friend was complaing about how "sduhan" he was. He said "Sduhan sam!". I could not make sense out of it, and my first association was that he had gotten a blow job or something (I have a very dirty mind) but then he clarified that it actually meant that he was depressed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>