Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAncient & modern Greeks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Do you believe that modern Greeks are descedants of ancient Greeks?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [50.00%]
10 [35.71%]
4 [14.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient & modern Greeks
    Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 19:09
With your votes  I want you to say your thoughts about this issue(with prooves,please)

Ey_Iran View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 01:02
The Ancient greeks is a bad word. I would say this. Most Ancient greeks are todays Anatolyan turks. Many like alexxander are bulgarian. The south greek like spartha and athen are greek. So ypu cant say yes and no to this queston. Also a lot of todays greeks are turks. they are tribes that went to turkmenistan to greece. the turks killed a lot of people and took their land. 99% of todays greeks could be ancestors of ancient greeks as well as 1%! You can never tell.

Edited by Ey_Iran - 06-Sep-2006 at 01:06
=)
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 04:48

The Ancient greeks is a bad word. I would say this. Most Ancient greeks are todays Anatolyan turks. Many like alexxander are bulgarian. The south greek like spartha and athen are greek. So ypu cant say yes and no to this queston. Also a lot of todays greeks are turks. they are tribes that went to turkmenistan to greece. the turks killed a lot of people and took their land. 99% of todays greeks could be ancestors of ancient greeks as well as 1%! You can never tell.

The Turks did not come into modern "Turkey" until around 1100 AD (Somewhere around then anyway, and the first Turkic state were the Seljuks)

Alexander was not a Bulgarian. Bulgarians are Slavs and Ancient Macedon was nowhere near modern Macedonia. It was inbetween Thrace, Thessally and Attica

Although many ancient Greek peoples where decended from other peoples, for example, the Spartans are decendents of a northern tribe called the Dorians (who I don't think were Greek) but the majority of Greeks are direct decendents of the Ancient Greeks.

No offense, but your claim has no historical backing. The Greeks are Indo European and the Turks are Turkic and come from centeral Asia. The main peoples around this area where Afro-Semitics, Indo Europeans and Semitics
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 04:55
Why don't you think the Dorians were Greek?

A large part of the modern genetic mix in Greece probably still comes from the people who were there before the Greeks themselves invaded, bringing inter alia their own religious concepts to conflict/merge with the teachings of the Great Goddess, which themselves suggest some linkage to the Isis part of Egyptian religion.

But it's difficult to doubt that the ancient Greeks themselves contributed a great deal to the ancestry of modern Greeks.

Apart from anything else, when do you stop calling them 'ancient' and start saying 'modern'? There's no obvious gap I can see where the original strain would have died out.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 05:52
Dorians themselves believed to be the descendants of Hercules who where hunted down from Thebans. They took shelter then in Epirus's mountains and stayed there until 1200bc. The rest is known history.
As for the post saying that Greeks are Turks, what can I say? Unhistorical at least. I could say the same for Iranians that they are Arabs. So they seem to me. But are they? Of course not.
If the "modern" Greeks are descendants of the ancient Greeks?
You got to be Greek to know. Or at least to live in Greece.
But tell me pls.
If we (Greeks) are Turks, why don't we speak Turkish?
Why we have a sequence to "Byzantine" Greeks religion?
Why we teach our children the Greek history instead the Turkish and the Turks are our biggest enemy?
I better stop here.
thx

Edited by Vasilios II - 06-Sep-2006 at 06:58
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 06:30
To say that today's Greeks are racial related with the original  Turks is tottaly groundless. The original Turks are non-Caucasoid people related to Mongols. Except from genetic researches which tell us that non- caucasoid admixture in Greeks is hardly 1 %,if you know some Greek history you would understand that under the ottoman occupation a turk who changed his religion to christian would punished by death. We can say that the Turks are those who have a great deal of greek blood(and other slav,bulgarian, anatolian, arab and persian) during the mass islamisations and through janisarrism.
 As for albanian blood input, can be traced in the Arvanites, wich they were a greek-albanian mix, who number today around 100-200 thousands(1.5 % in total greek population) with totally greek consciousness.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 07:00
Yes- this is a common misconception- Turkey is definatly and historically not Turkish.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 07:02
Originally posted by Patrinos

if you know some Greek history you would understand that under the ottoman occupation a turk who changed his religion to christian would punished by death. We can say that the Turks are those who have a great deal of greek blood(and other slav,bulgarian, anatolian, arab and persian) during the mass islamisations and through janisarrism.

I tottaly agree Clap
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:30
The modern Hellenic nation is not an entirely modern formation, for it is based on much older cultural groups (ethnies). Greek ethnies (like Arvanites, Vlachs, Slavophones etc.) present "permanent cultural attributes" such as memory, value, myths and symbolisms. Hellenic ethnies present a common cultural origin descending from ancient Greece and Byzantium. For example, all Greek cultural groups believe in the myth of "Gorgona" who seeks to find Alexander the Great. That is to say, the modern Hellenic nation (in the beginning) was not "a community of citizens" but a "cultural" group.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:51

Akrita,what is the racial contribution of these ethnies according to your opinion?

These ethnies you refered i think reach maximum a 10% of today's greek population.That some people adopted the hellenic idea that not reduce the hellenicity of the rest.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 09:51
Vlachs are Greeks.  They lived and still are in Ipeirous. Their language is  some kind of ancient Greek. They have absolutely no relationship with  Albanians or any other gentre.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 10:30

I agree with you Perikles, you may misunderstood me. I believe too that the Vlachs have greek origin.(It is alogical to say that they are romanian who left the fertile plains of Romania and come to settle in the rocky edges of Pindus).They are the remains of the latinised macedonians and epirotes during the roman era,(the presence of the vlachs coincide with the egnatia odos) and they always consider theirselves Greeks long before the establishment of the modern greek state. I believe that the Vlachs today reach a number of 150000,what is your opinion?

Their presence  also proove that the byzantine state didn't hellenised the non-greek speaking population within the empire, so the slavic elements where hellenised by the vast majority of the population which was greek(romioi).
As for the slavophones ,who don't reach a number of 100-150 thousands, i think that they are slavic ,with greek racial contribution, who never had a clear ethnic consciousness but these who still stay in Greece(west macedonia) are those who choosed to stay in Greece during the population exchanges and now consider themselves Greeks with slavic ancestry.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 11:01

Akrita,what is the racial contribution of these ethnies according to your opinion?

These ethnies you refered i think reach maximum a 10% of today's greek population.That some people adopted the hellenic idea that not reduce the hellenicity of the rest.
Is very hard to determine the percentage and the excactly racial contribution of those ethnies.
E.g. In 1922 at the population excange Turks sent Antolian Muslims that spoken the Laze language.Were not Greeks, but the Hellenic society abvorved them.The same think with the Slavophones.Some wasn't Greek.All these Became Greeks because  on the common native culture.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 12:54
Akritas we say peripou the same thing.Of course the percentage 10% is totally mine estimation.I think that the laz speakers were a  minority between the  Greek Pontian population.
It is unnatural for a population to be endogamous(only sarakatsanians did it) so you can't find a pure arvanitic or slavomacedonian family.That's why they assimilated in the hellenic society.
What is your estimation for these language groups in Greece?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 13:16

To say that today's Greeks are racial related with the original  Turks is tottaly groundless. The original Turks are non-Caucasoid people related to Mongols. Except from genetic researches which tell us that non- caucasoid admixture in Greeks is hardly 1 %,
Greeks aren't Caucasian except in the outdated sense of the term used in US census terminology. Georgians and Chechens and other peoples in the region are Caucasian.

Greeks, ancient and modern, are Indo-European. The pre-Greek inhabitants of Greece may not have been (I have no idea), but probably were too.

Edited by gcle2003 - 06-Sep-2006 at 13:16
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 13:19
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Yes- this is a common misconception- Turkey is definatly and historically not Turkish.

It can't be. Turkey is a country not a people.

However, Turks are Turkish, just like Greeks are Greeks, and Martians would be Martians if there were any. But Mars wouldn't be Martian, it's a planet.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 13:42
Of course they are.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 13:46

Akritas we say peripou the same thing.Of course the percentage 10% is totally mine estimation.I think that the laz speakers were a  minority between the  Greek Pontian population.
It is unnatural for a population to be endogamous(only sarakatsanians did it) so you can't find a pure arvanitic or slavomacedonian family.That's why they assimilated in the hellenic society.
What is your estimation for these language groups in Greece?

Is very difficult to estimate the language groups. According KEMA(a organization that has a members also and known un-hellenic individuals) gives the following numbers

Turkish...............100.000(30.000  are  Pomaks)
Slavphones........50.000 to 80.000
Vlachs...............unknown,estimated that in the begginning of the 20th cent were 105.000 speakers
Arvanites..........unknown

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 14:23

It can't be. Turkey is a country not a people.

No, I meant historically
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 14:29
to qcle 2003
When i say that Greeks are caucasoid( http://www.answers.com/topic/caucasoid-negroid-mongoloid)i mean that we are members of the white subrace like germans,slavs,arabs,jews etc and of course i don't mean that we are caucasians like georgians,laz and others. The original turks from the steps near mongolia classified as mongoloids.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>