Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most mysterious place that you have been

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most mysterious place that you have been
    Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 11:38

Some months ago, I went to ancient city of Susa and visited Chogha Zanbil, the world's highest and largest zigguart.

It is a platform in front of one of the gates of the zuggurat where thousands years ago animals and maybe even humans were sacrificed for the God Inshushinak.

They are killed there and then the king and his companions ascend to the second floor of the building by stairs. Here the king pours a special syrup on the altar for the intended god and accompanied by the chief priest and a small number of his attendants he ascends to the third floor. In the third floor some of his attendants remain and only the chief priest and his close associates ascend to the fourth floor. In this flour the close associates remain and the king, accompanied only by the chief priest, ascends the main temple of the ziggurat in the fifth floor.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 20:19

I went to the Plain of Jars in Lao once.  Not exactly a plain but over a thousand giant jars spread over many kilometres with three major clusters, the largest 200-300 jars. Nobody knows how old they are or even how they were made, let alone their reason for being.

They're really difficult to get to, on the Vietnam border. It two days on dirt road by land in the dry season, 4-5 days on barge in the wet or two hours by prop plane not meeting IAA standards and landing at an airstrip in the mountains with no ground radar. (but they do insure the passengers to the value of $150 each in local currency. It's on a huge sign above the departures door you see as you board the plane)

The area itself had more bombs dropped on it by the USAF during the Vietnam war than were dropped in the whole of WWII by all sides. As you approach it from the air it's like you are flying over the moon with all the craters. Many of the bombs dropped were cluster bombs so hundreds of tightly packed mini craters also are common.

Upto half a million civilians were killed in the genocide of this neutral country (20% of the population) mostly peasant farming communities and villages. Today including cluster bomblets there are around 2 billion UXB's in the country and about 15,000 people a year are either crippled or killed by UXB's the highest numbers being children.

In the locals villages, parts of the buildings often  include bomb parts. Sometimes the central supporting pillar could be a 1000LB bomb shell case. Many villages still have UXB's close at hand. One village was discovered to be just 100 metres from a 2000 bomb which if goes off would kill everyone. However the UN bomb disposal team was unnable to attempt to defuse it because to this day the US government refuses to give details of any bomb still in use in it's arsenal to the bomb disposal teams, so they can only diffuse certain bombs.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 21:29
it's not really mysterious, but i visited the Battlefield of Gettysburg and it just gave me the chills...its definitely a very spooky places, supposed to be tons of ghosts
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 00:20
i would have to say Peral Harbor.
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 16:15
A misty early autumn  morning in Delphi, waking up under some olive trees, that took me back a few thousand years.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 17:12

xhat it's called in English) jumped over the ruins of a wall. The very scene gave me a very peculiar feeling. Serene.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 22-Oct-2007 at 11:00
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 18:29

Notre Dame in Paris.  It sits on a site that's been holy for thousands of years....first to the Gauls (and probably even earlier), then the Romans and then the Christians.

You really can feel all that faith.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 18:53
the open steppe of Mongolia, and of course tghose large ancient Irish slab tombs.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Exorsis C View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Exorsis C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 04:49

Originally posted by styrbiorn

rdjur/hjort, have no idea what it's called in English

rdjur=roe deer and hjort=deer

One of the most mysterious places I've visited is the monastery ruins in Alvastra (Alvastra Klosterruin in swedish). It's very quiet even when there are many people there, as if everyone can feel the serenity and try to honour it. It's hard to describe the feeling I get when I visit it, but it somehow feels as if the monks who used to live there are still around, affecting the atmosphere of the place.

Don't put your mouth into motion before your brain is in gear.
Member of "the exclusive group of women on AE".
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 06:03

Religious buildings are mysterious indeed.

The Nidaros Cathedral in Trondheim may be the most mysterious place i have been.

Its quite dark in there and completely silent(when there are no tourists).With big pillars holding the roof up(may remind the LOTR fans of Moria) and catacombs the cathedral has a mystical atmosphere.Many claim to have seen a ghost of a monk there and they say that if you run several laps around the cathedral at midnight a monk will start running after you.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 06:21
A cave with prehistoric paintings in Niaux, France.
Exorsis C View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Exorsis C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 08:40

Another place I have visited that has an aura that I can't explain is a mansion in the southern part of Sweden. This place was inhabited by a very cruel man, who did really bad things to his family. Everyone who lives in that area says that it is haunted by him. I have been there several times at different hours of the day and night and every time I have felt very uneasy, kind of like the place doesn't want me there.

Once me and a friend from a different part of Sweden who hadn't heard the stories about this place went there, and he also felt very uneasy and unwelcome there, without knowing anything about the place.

It is placed in very beautiful surroundings, on a peninsula at a lake, so most people would probably like it, but I have never met anyone, whether they know about the history of the mansion or not, who feels at ease there.

I don't know why it affects people this way, nor do I make any claims that the place IS haunted, just that it makes almost everyone who has been there feel uneasy.

Don't put your mouth into motion before your brain is in gear.
Member of "the exclusive group of women on AE".
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 08:41

Hmmm I think that mine is Krystova gora (in english something like The Cross' forest). this is a place in th Rodophs (mountian in Bg) and it's on one peak above 2000 m and whole time while i was there this place was in mist. People believe that there is buried a part from Jesus' cross

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 03:34

Istanbul...

Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2008 at 23:11
The dinosaur fossil bed at dinosaur national monument and there is a small site full of indian petroglyphs near it, you can feel the timelessenes of that place.  

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 07:26
Ageana Island in Greece.
Mythica View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Mythica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2008 at 15:15
Eastern State Penitentiary: http://www.easternstate.org/

That's me in the photo and I took the picture too
Hobhouse View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Hobhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2008 at 01:19
I was on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem two months ago, and I've always wondered what is left in those cisterns and such below, and what could be found through archaeological excavations there, if it was not such a sacred site at present. It was also a really interesting place to visit.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 07:01
Well...

I was vacationing in the area of Friday harbor--in the San Juan islands--a while back, and I can say that the forest is beautiful by day--but I have never been in such a terrifying place at nightfall.

Maybe it doesn't count. I mean, it's just a forest. Not a building, or ruin, or whatever.
But you want creepy and/or mysterious? Forget mansions. Forget any building, ever. Walk through a real forest in the middle of the night.

There is no substitute.

Or, better yet, don't.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2008 at 09:31
Originally posted by TheARRGH

Well...I was vacationing in the area of Friday harbor--in the San Juan islands--a while back, and I can say that the forest is beautiful by day--but I have never been in such a terrifying place at nightfall. Maybe it doesn't count. I mean, it's just a forest. Not a building, or ruin, or whatever.But you want creepy and/or mysterious? Forget mansions. Forget any building, ever. Walk through a real forest in the middle of the night.There is no substitute.Or, better yet, don't.

I did this two times, I walked alone from 0.00 AM to 5 AM by a mountainous forest (it was a road leading to two hermitages). It was the most terrfying experience but also the most wonderful. First time I used a lantern but second time I walked at the moon light. First time the forest was full of flying glow worms. They were at 2-3 m one of another.

The road was in the area where I took the picture in my signature (the hermitages are at the foot of the mountain in the background).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>