Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures of Bulgar Warriors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures of Bulgar Warriors
    Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 02:34
We've talked much about the Bulgars and Danube Bulgaria here in the Medieval Forum but i never noticed someone posting pics of the warriors themselves.I've collected some images to show you:

A high class Bulgar warrior probably a boil(noble):

Woman warriors from Volga Bulgaria:

I don't know if the Danube Bulgars allowed women to be soldiers but the Bulgars on the Volga have done itSmile

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 04-Mar-2007 at 02:39
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 03:00
About the women soldiers - Khan Krum is reported to have armed the women as well, when he defeated Emperor Nikeforus! ;)
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 04:16

Menumorout posted pics about bulgarian riders of the 8-11. Century into the Hist. Pics. topic.

I love girls in uniform. :-)))

TSZ

Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 04:19
The warrior has a Muzsi dish style armour(10.cent), but a russian style 11-14. Cent. helmet, mameluk shield, 14-17. cent. arrow quvier.

Edited by Tar Szernd - 04-Mar-2007 at 04:19
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 13:09
Menumorout posted pics about bulgarian riders of the 8-11. Century into the Hist. Pics. topic.

I post them again here (they are graffiti on rocks at Pliska and Preslav:

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 01:34

Very Interesting!

I had no idea that Bulgar Warrior Chicks were so Sexy!

Do you have any more pictures of the Noble Bulgar Warriors and Warrior Women Liudovik?

Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 13:18
Originally posted by NikeBG

About the women soldiers - Khan Krum is reported to have armed the women as well, when he defeated Emperor Nikeforus! ;)

Yes but what i meant was that we don't know if women were regular soldiers.During pagan times they were allowed to become priests together with the men but we have no proof about warriorsBig%20smile

Originally posted by Gargoyle

Do you have any more pictures of the Noble Bulgar Warriors and Warrior Women Liudovik?

I have but the first ones in my upper post are betterBig%20smile I post them as links because they're so huge.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c152/Liudovik/WW5.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c152/Liudovik/WW4.jpg

The usual warriors looked like this...

I don't know if they used maces as weapons but the rest is accurate.

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 09-Mar-2007 at 13:19
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 02:31
Hunters in the steppes:

In a forest camp:

Big%20smile

Edited by Liudovik_Nemski - 10-Mar-2007 at 02:32
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 03:44
Wow:-)
TheMysticNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote TheMysticNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2007 at 04:51
Thumbs%20Up
Great pics!
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 07:16

Hello,

Fantastic Pictures everyone!

Gargoyle does not know much about the Medieval History of Bulgaria and Bulgars... so it is Very Interesting to see what His Ancestors may have worn in Battle!

I was just wondering... what is the symbol on the flag in this picture?

Originally posted by Krum

Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 13:31
I don't know...This is a work after the victorious prince from one of the golden carafe of the Nagyszentmikls-treasure. The original has just a empty flag.

TSZ
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 14:46
The IYI is usually considered to be the sign of the house of Dulo, the first and possibly greatest ruling dynasty in Early Medieval Bulgaria. Of course, there's also a theory that it represents Tangra, presumed to be the Bulgar god. The first thesis is most widely accepted.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 05:03

Thankyou both NikeBG and Tar Szernd,

Now this is going to sound like a stupid question... but I assure you it is a serious one!

Can I ask whether there is any evidence to suggest that Tatoos were a part of Bulgar Culture?

Did the Ancient Bulgar Warriors Tatoo themselves?

I'm just Curious...

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 08:34
Originally posted by Gargoyle

Hello,

Fantastic Pictures everyone!

Gargoyle does not know much about the Medieval History of Bulgaria and Bulgars... so it is Very Interesting to see what His Ancestors may have worn in Battle!

I was just wondering... what is the symbol on the flag in this picture?

Originally posted by Krum

If this flag is related with the facts I can say that this is a Salur or Chepni Tamga. Tamga simply means symbol in Turkish. Salur and Chepni are two of 24 tribes of Oghuzs. 

Onogurs in Bulgaria were Oguzs as well. R-Z voice changes are very frequent in Turkish. Onogur is the same with Onoguz which means Ten Oguz. It means that they were forming an alliances consisting of 10 tribes of Oghuzs. (As in the case of Dokuz Oghuz which means Nine Oghuz, or Sekiz Oghuz, or Uc Ok etc. ).

I wonder if this flag is reflecting the truths or this is only a chance. 
Seljuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Seljuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 09:17
I'll go with the second theory NikeBG

It looks nearly exactly like the tamgha of Kayi tribe (founding tribe of ottomans) so i wouldnt be surprised if it represents Tengri.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3457/tamghavz2.jpg

NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 06:41
You can guess whatever you prefer, Seljuk, I'm just saying that most historians suggest the first one.

Gargoyle, AFAIK, the Bulgars didn't tattoo themselves. But that's only as far as I know. However, IIRC, the Thracians did tattoo themselves (and also dye their hair).

Btw, here's a picture, which I scanned from Valeri Yotov's archaeological reference book "The weaponry and armament from the Bulgarian Middle Ages (VII-XI c.)"

Reconstruction of a full set of weaponry and armament of an Old-Bulgar warrior by the findings in a grave in the necropolis near Krasen, the Ruse region (artist A. Vuchkov)

Another interesting picture, which I saw and scanned is this one:

A drawing on a bone cornicle. Settlement near Harlec, Vratsa region.

Vikings?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 07:35
Vikings?
Or "lodki ednodruvki" used by slavs.
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 07:40
Monoxiles? Yes, maybe. But the way those shields are positioned reminds me very much of the drawing of Viking boats. It's an interesting picture in all cases though... ;)
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 04:30
I think they are vikings (kiev rus warriors of Svjatoslav(?), from 970-972:-).

TSZ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>