Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslims in the USSR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslims in the USSR
    Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 04:38

Recently I read an article about the Muslims in Russia published by TheEconomist, and it read that Muslims are the only religious group growing in Russian Federation. They make up more than 10% of the overall population, and 20% in the capital city-Moscow.

So I was wondering how they were treated in the USSR. I know that Lenin sympathzied with Muslims greatly by uttering remarks likethe Muslims of Russia would experience a degree of freedom that they had never been able to under the Tsarist Rules. Maybe this is because of the fact that Lenin graduated from Kazan State University in Tatartstan, where the majority is Muslim. But I also know that Stalin oppressed Muslims to a very large extend, as he had Chechens and Crinmean Tatars exiled to Siberia.

And what about the afterwards?
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 05:52
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Recently I read an article about the Muslims in Russia published by TheEconomist, and it read that Muslims are the only religious group growing in Russian Federation. They make up more than 10% of the overall population, and 20% in the capital city-Moscow.

Well probably thats because Muslims have more children than Russians.

So I was wondering how they were treated in the USSR. I know that Lenin sympathzied with Muslims greatly by uttering remarks likethe Muslims of Russia would experience a degree of freedom that they had never been able to under the Tsarist Rules. Maybe this is because of the fact that Lenin graduated from Kazan State University in Tatartstan, where the majority is Muslim. But I also know that Stalin oppressed Muslims to a very large extend, as he had Chechens and Crinmean Tatars exiled to Siberia.

Maybe Lenin said such things but also there was a big famine in Tatar-Baskir region in his age, because Soviet government taked all the foods stocks so a starvation started(and canibalism)
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 07:22
Originally posted by erkut

Well probably thats because Muslims have more children than Russians.

True. But it is also woth noting that the number of Russians converting to Islam is on increase

Originally posted by erkut

Maybe Lenin said such things but also there was a big famine in Tatar-Baskir region in his age, because Soviet government taked all the foods stocks so a starvation started(and canibalism)

The big famine took place during the reign of Stalin, in early 30s. Some people might also died of hunger when Lenin was still alive, but these would fall in the category of caulties  of the Russian Civil War between the Whites and the Reds. Lenin absolutely did not pursue a delibrate starving policy like Stalin.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 07:45

I know that Lenin sympathzied with Muslims greatly by uttering remarks likethe Muslims of Russia would experience a degree of freedom that they had never been able to under the Tsarist Rules.

Lenin sympathized with every non-Russian ethnicity to get their support against the whites (Tsarist Russians) during civil war. This was one of the reasons for establishing Baltic state independence and founding for example various republics within Soviet Union - Ukrainian Soviet Republic, Uzbekistan Soviet Republic and so on.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 07:52
So ? what was the official Soviet view of Islam? how did they treat Muslims? better than the Russian empire?

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:15
As far as I know the Soviet leaders after Stalin carried on his policies of suppressing any religion that might compete with communism.

It was the rise of Islamic fundamentalism that helped bring about the fall of the U.S.S.R, something that was supported in the west at the time. Kind of ironic given the current climate in the world today.

Edited by DukeC - 09-Apr-2007 at 14:16
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 18:39
Originally posted by DukeC

As far as I know the Soviet leaders after Stalin carried on his policies of suppressing any religion that might compete with communism. It was the rise of Islamic fundamentalism that helped bring about the fall of the U.S.S.R, something that was supported in the west at the time. Kind of ironic given the current climate in the world today.

Irrelevant. Fundamentalism was not common among the muslims of USSR.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 00:03
Originally posted by Feanor

As far as I know the Soviet leaders after Stalin carried on his policies of suppressing any religion that might compete with communism. It was the rise of Islamic fundamentalism that helped bring about the fall of the U.S.S.R, something that was supported in the west at the time. Kind of ironic given the current climate in the world today.

Irrelevant. Fundamentalism was not common among the muslims of USSR.

It was common in Afghanistan where the Soviets ended up spending billions of rubles and taking thousands of casualties. This directly contributed to the opening up of Soviet society through glasnost and parastroyka allowing religous freedom that was not possible before. Muslim fundamentalism influenced the growth of an Islamic identity in the southern Soviet republics and spelled the beginning of the end for the state. Once people started thinking of themselves based on region and religion there was nothing to hold the union together.

Edited by DukeC - 10-Apr-2007 at 00:14
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 07:45

Muslim fundamentalism influenced the growth of an Islamic identity in the southern Soviet republics and spelled the beginning of the end for the state. Once people started thinking of themselves based on region and religion there was nothing to hold the union together.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you here.

There are several good  reasons that could well explain why the USSR collepsed. But, in my humble opinion, one  of the reasons behind the fall of the USSR was surely not the growth of Islamic identity among the citizens. I assert this, because I base my idea on the ground that I met some ex-Soviet muslim citizens in person.

I can assure you on that the Soviets were successfull to assimilate Muslims of Central Asia.. Those ex-Soviet Muslims I met have an over- liberal view of Islam. They call themselves Muslims. They used to call during back in the Soviet times as well. But they consume lots of alchol, and even eat pork. Islamic traditions continue, but some even fail to answer you, if you ask them the basic question- what the pillars of Islam are.

Therefore the practice of Islam in the USSR was different then the practice in the Middle East, IMO. The USSR was officially an athestic state, but please let me remind you the fact that in 1989 the state also took part in the celebrations of 1000. anniversary of the adoptation of Christianity by the head of the first Rus State-Kievan State, Vladimir.

This means that ,Not only Islamic identity but the other religious identities were also well felt in the hearts of ''communist'' citizens during the Soviet times. It is just people did not make it public. So, in conclusion, I argue that the growth of Islamic Identity in Central Asia and Caucasus has much to do after the fall of the USSR not before.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 08:16
^ I agree TheDiplomat, mainly from what ive know about the Chechen conflict.

The Chechens split from the USSR not because of Islam but because they are Chechen and also because of their awful history of suffering under the Russians. This is mainly because of Stalin but it goes back before the USSR. When the USSR was already breaking up they saw their chance and took it like every other nationality Christian or Muslim.

AFAIK Islam in Chechnya wasn't nearly as strict as what exists in the middle east. As that war continued and the original nationalist leadership were picked off, Islam in its nasty Wahabi form started to take over the ideology of resistance, no doubt helped along by Russian brutality. So if we take that conflict as an example it is quite easy to see that it was the break down of the USSR, previous injustices but most importantly new injustices that created the more radical Islamic counter movement we see today.

Edited by Leonidas - 10-Apr-2007 at 08:20
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 08:32
The USSR had a very practical approach to dealing with its Muslim inhabitants. It tried to synthesise the principles of Islam and communism where they were compatible.

Where Muslims valued the Medina tradition of egalitarian treatment of humanity and striving to better humanity, communism pointed to Marx's ideology and declared these principles one and the same. I think the communists were prepared to accept that Muslims could be brought into the fold by accepting that they could not completely obliterate Islamic identity. They seemed to accept that Islam and communism were not mutually exclusive, but that ties to the former could help persuade Muslims to become receptive to the latter.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 09:31
Every kind of religion was "opium for the people". However it was not completely prohibited as such. But you could be excluded from party (or komsomol, pioneer, oktjabrenok organizations) for being religious. So, to be a religious (Muslim or Christian mainly) was not sort of speak "popular".

War in Afganistan has nothing to do with fall of USSR.  
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 10:10
Originally posted by Leonidas

^ I agree TheDiplomat, mainly from what ive know about the Chechen conflict.

The Chechens split from the USSR not because of Islam but because they are Chechen and also because of their awful history of suffering under the Russians. This is mainly because of Stalin but it goes back before the USSR. When the USSR was already breaking up they saw their chance and took it like every other nationality Christian or Muslim.

AFAIK Islam in Chechnya wasn't nearly as strict as what exists in the middle east. As that war continued and the original nationalist leadership were picked off, Islam in its nasty Wahabi form started to take over the ideology of resistance, no doubt helped along by Russian brutality. So if we take that conflict as an example it is quite easy to see that it was the break down of the USSR, previous injustices but most importantly new injustices that created the more radical Islamic counter movement we see today.

Exactly.

The Chechens have been waging a state of struggle not since The Afghan War, but from the reign of Catherine II, when the Tsarist Imperial Army set foot on Caucasuss. The War in Afghanistan, and idea that Mujahadden could defeat a superpower thanks to the faith has just created a spill over effect. Therefore the situation has been worse out there since the war in Afghanistan.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 10:15
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The USSR had a very practical approach to dealing with its Muslim inhabitants. It tried to synthesise the principles of Islam and communism where they were compatible.

Where Muslims valued the Medina tradition of egalitarian treatment of humanity and striving to better humanity, communism pointed to Marx's ideology and declared these principles one and the same. I think the communists were prepared to accept that Muslims could be brought into the fold by accepting that they could not completely obliterate Islamic identity. They seemed to accept that Islam and communism were not mutually exclusive, but that ties to the former could help persuade Muslims to become receptive to the latter.

Thanks for the insight,bud!

I also think the same. As you well pointed out, bouth Islamic thought and Communist rhetoric have something in common: they both put an emphasis on collective way of living and egalitarisnist treatment of humanity.

Had the Communist doctrine been more sympathic to the religion, it could have well gained ground in countries with Islamic background.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 12:19

Any of you read Galiyev's works?

Anyway the world's better off without the USSR, her path of destruction had awfull consequences, people fail to forget that during the Stalin era more people were killed then by the Nazi's but Stalin isn't viewed as "bad" as Hitler for some reason...what is even more ironic today is that Neo-Nazism is on the rise unbelievably in Russia and these confused individuals herald both Hitler and Stalin as heroes, Hitler who dispised Russians and Stalin who made everyones life hell...what is the world comming too.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 14:27

The Soviet Union was only able to exist as long as it could suppress the regional identities of its' many republics. While the Islamic population there couldn't be thought of as fundamentalist they were influenced enough by the movements to the south of them to begin to see themselves as other than Soviet.

This came at a time when the Soviet government was spending itself into the ground trying to keep up with the planned U.S. SDI and B-2 bomber. Because of its' reliance on ground based air defence it would have cost the Soviets many billions just to defend against the stealth bomber, this at the time it was already being taxed by the Afghanistan war. It needed to open up and reform Soviet society to compete with the west, especially in information technology. It wasn't able to successfully do this before the internal forces that had been suppressed for close to 70 years tore it apart.

Muslims made up an important part of the Soviet Union and even before the 1980s there was concern about how willing the 1/3 of the Red Army who were Muslim would be to fight for the state.

I'm not saying the Soviet Muslims were fundamentalists, but that movement played a part in the disintegration of the Soviet state.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 18:12

Muslims made up an important part of the Soviet Union and even before the 1980s there was concern about how willing the 1/3 of the Red Army who were Muslim would be to fight for the state.

I'm not saying the Soviet Muslims were fundamentalists, but that movement played a part in the disintegration of the Soviet state.

Well there was constant discrimination against Muslims, central Asians, Caucasians in Soviet army. They were designated as "blacks", "churkas" and they weren't welcomed to join the fleet as it was reserved for "white" people. Don't know so much about air forces.

So in conclusion muslims formed small part of Soviet army, certainly not 1/3.

Edited by axeman - 10-Apr-2007 at 18:14
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 18:31

I don't remember the exact figures but I'm fairly certain Muslims made up about 1/3 of the Red Army. Because of it's huge size it faced manpower shortages which could only be made up by conscripting non-Russians.

Maybe someone else here has access to the figures.

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2007 at 21:54
Originally posted by axeman

Well there was constant discrimination against Muslims, central Asians, Caucasians in Soviet army..

Wasn't Stalin a Georgian?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 01:35
Originally posted by Feanor

Originally posted by axeman

Well there was constant discrimination against Muslims, central Asians, Caucasians in Soviet army..

Wasn't Stalin a Georgian?

Stalin was a Georgian with a Christian upbringing, who later became atheist and embraced the idea of Russian racial superiority. He also rose to his rank via political movement, not military promotion.

He also personally oversaw brutal repressive measures taken against his native Georgia when Georgia revolted during the Civil War.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>