Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First World War

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which country contributed the most among the Allies of WWI?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
7 [30.43%]
11 [47.83%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [8.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First World War
    Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 12:45
I saw a similar poll for WWII, so I decided to write one about the First World War. 
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 13:06
A lot of people will say the US was the biggest contributor for the fact that people associate our entry with the begining of the end of the war, however technically the US was never a formal "Ally". Plus the US never fully commited to backing up English soldiers fighting it out with the Axis on the hardcore front lines and contributed mostly in bringing over much needed supplies (not to downplay the importance of doing so but the other Allies could have used the frontline support more). In my opinion it was the UK that contributed the most for Allied victory, their military leaders were far superior on the battlefield than that of any other Allied nation, they fought the war from begining to end, their Navy was probably the most elite military force on the side of the Allies, and had it not been for them the war would have ended in German victory long before American politicians eventually declared war. 

Edited by KingClown - 14-Apr-2007 at 13:07
sd305 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sd305 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 13:16
i'm still suprised you didn't add canada onto that poll. ever hear of vimy ridge? canada fought as there own nation and they were seen as the elite of the britain army. most of the accomplishments we did should be credited to us, not the britains
ChickenShoes View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 14:32
Originally posted by KingClown

A lot of people will say the US was the biggest contributor for the fact that people associate our entry with the begining of the end of the war, however technically the US was never a formal "Ally". Plus the US never fully commited to backing up English soldiers fighting it out with the Axis on the hardcore front lines and contributed mostly in bringing over much needed supplies (not to downplay the importance of doing so but the other Allies could have used the frontline support more). In my opinion it was the UK that contributed the most for Allied victory, their military leaders were far superior on the battlefield than that of any other Allied nation, they fought the war from begining to end, their Navy was probably the most elite military force on the side of the Allies, and had it not been for them the war would have ended in German victory long before American politicians eventually declared war. 

Well first off, the Axis Powers were not until World War II, in World War I they were the Central Powers. Secondly, the US was an Ally in both wars, declaring war on both the Axis and Central Powers in each war. Thirdly, the fact is the United States as a whole saved World War I in the name of the Allies, not with soldiers, weaponry, and brave regiments but with things that the Allies desperately needed: credit, food, clothing, etc. American soldiers in World War I weren't even equipped with their own guns and masks, they wore French masks and used French artillery. World War I was much closer than World War II especially after the Treaty of Brest Litovsk, as Germany "annexed" the Ukraine, and the Eastern front became "closed". They were assured a mass supply of grain, they had been eating turnip and turnip subsititute so vile that it made them sick to eat it, and with this grain they could feed all the soldiers they wanted. The fact was, the Eastern front became worse as the Ukranians wouldn't give up their grain peacefully and soldiers were sent there to maintain order. Austria-Hungary was even more starving than Germany and Hungary shut off its borders with Austria to maintain food for itself. This befuddled Austria and Germany once again had to assist its sub-par ally. So while Germany was suffering to maintain the balance of its allies as well as the balance of its own soldiers, allied soldiers were equipped with new weapons and armor due to credit, massive amounts of food and clothes, and ways to keep the trenches sanitary. Think about it, Germany did not lose once inch of German soil yet it lost the war, and this is why. Also the English definitely have the most well-trained soldiers next to the Germans, but I would say the French did have good soldiers and the French and English fought equally; let us not forget bloody Verdun was just as bad perhaps worse than the Somme and they both suffered in Operation Michael, in which the Germans tried one last hoorah. In World War I, the naval blockade of the English was essential and without it, the Central Powers would have won, but it wouldn't have been sustained without the entrance of the United States. In World War II the Red Army is without a doubt the most essential force, even though Hitler may have defeated them if he had closed the Battle of Britain. The fact is their sheer numbers and constant over-extension of German Lines, ill-equipment of German soldiers in harsh weather conditions, and vanity of Hitler allowed the Red Army to become the most decisive fighting force in World War II. Also in World War II, Soviet leadership was just as good as English in 1944, Zhukov? Rokossovsky? Men who disagreed with the words of Stalin and did their own thing when it was punishable perhaps by death. Zhukov is just every bit as good as Monty if not better.

Edited by ChickenShoes - 14-Apr-2007 at 14:45
It is not enough that I succeed - everyone else must fail
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 15:02
sd305 you are in violation of the AE code of conduct-

5. Rude insults, defamatory remarks, offensive images, cursing, profanity intended as an insult towards another member, personal attacks, words of hate. Any remarks that stirs up anger. In dealing with flame wars, comments that started the flame war will have more weight in terms of violation.

6. Nationalism, derogatory remarks to national or ethnic groups, jingoism, bigotry, racism, political propaganda. (see appendix below)
Consider this an official warning.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 15:05
Originally posted by ChickenShoes

Well first off, the Axis Powers were not until World War II, in World War I they were the Central Powers. Secondly, the US was an Ally in both wars, declaring war on both the Axis and Central Powers in each war. Thirdly, the fact is the United States as a whole saved World War I in the name of the Allies, not with soldiers, weaponry, and brave regiments but with things that the Allies desperately needed: credit, food, clothing, etc. American soldiers in World War I weren't even equipped with their own guns and masks, they wore French masks and used French artillery. World War I was much closer than World War II especially after the Treaty of Brest Litovsk, as Germany "annexed" the Ukraine, and the Eastern front became "closed". They were assured a mass supply of grain, they had been eating turnip and turnip subsititute so vile that it made them sick to eat it, and with this grain they could feed all the soldiers they wanted. The fact was, the Eastern front became worse as the Ukranians wouldn't give up their grain peacefully and soldiers were sent there to maintain order. Austria-Hungary was even more starving than Germany and Hungary shut off its borders with Austria to maintain food for itself. This befuddled Austria and Germany once again had to assist its sub-par ally. So while Germany was suffering to maintain the balance of its allies as well as the balance of its own soldiers, allied soldiers were equipped with new weapons and armor due to credit, massive amounts of food and clothes, and ways to keep the trenches sanitary. Think about it, Germany did not lose once inch of German soil yet it lost the war, and this is why. Also the English definitely have the most well-trained soldiers next to the Germans, but I would say the French did have good soldiers and the French and English fought equally; let us not forget bloody Verdun was just as bad perhaps worse than the Somme and they both suffered in Operation Michael, in which the Germans tried one last hoorah. In World War I, the naval blockade of the English was essential and without it, the Central Powers would have won, but it wouldn't have been sustained without the entrance of the United States. In World War II the Red Army is without a doubt the most essential force, even though Hitler may have defeated them if he had closed the Battle of Britain. The fact is their sheer numbers and constant over-extension of German Lines, ill-equipment of German soldiers in harsh weather conditions, and vanity of Hitler allowed the Red Army to become the most decisive fighting force in World War II. Also in World War II, Soviet leadership was just as good as English in 1944, Zhukov? Rokossovsky? Men who disagreed with the words of Stalin and did their own thing when it was punishable perhaps by death. Zhukov is just every bit as good as Monty if not better.

One: OMGIMADEAMISTAKECONFUSINGAXISWITHCENTRALALLMYVALIDPOINTSAREFORNAUGHT!!!!
Two:
The US WAS NOT an ally, a fact you just conceeded to me via AIM
"BigMamaChewbacca: The United States was never formally a member of the Allies, but became a self-styled "Associated Power"
PRINC3SS FISTS: oh true
PRINC3SS FISTS: ur right
PRINC3SS FISTS: but thats simple semantics
PRINC3SS FISTS: taking away from my argument
BigMamaChewbacca: he said Ally
"
Three:
I adressed in my first response the importance of the supplies the US provided but again, the US did not oblige England and France when they asked the US to take an active role on the frontlines like they needed, which is a big reason i don't believe we were the biggest contributor
Four:
Im flabergasted by your extensive knowledge of the dietary habits of the Central Powers
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 15:12

One: OMGIMADEAMISTAKECONFUSINGAXISWITHCENTRALALLMYVALIDPOINTSAREFORNAUGHT!!!!
Two:
The US WAS NOT an ally, a fact you just conceeded to me via AIM
"BigMamaChewbacca: The United States was never formally a member of the Allies, but became a self-styled "Associated Power"
PRINC3SS FISTS: oh true
PRINC3SS FISTS: ur right
PRINC3SS FISTS: but thats simple semantics
PRINC3SS FISTS: taking away from my argument
BigMamaChewbacca: he said Ally
"
Three:
I adressed in my first response the importance of the supplies the US provided but again, the US did not oblige England and France when they asked the US to take an active role on the frontlines like they needed, which is a big reason i don't believe we were the biggest contributor
Four:
Im flabergasted by your extensive knowledge of the dietary habits of the Central Powers

sorry, it was an "associated power" does not detract from my argument and its total importance, and i said clearly that the US did not provide weaponry and brave regiments, the English and French had enough of those. Sorry the United States didn't just fight the whole war for everybody, maybe it would be a big contributor for you then, fact is it was the decisive factor in winning WWI, therefore it is the biggest contributor, something all historians would agree on.

Edited by ChickenShoes - 14-Apr-2007 at 15:15
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 18:09
Since there's no criteria defined, I think I should:

What counts here is how much a country invested of its possibilities. For example, if there was a country in the war in which 100% (hypothetically speaking) of its population was wiped out in a war of resistance, it would have no competitor.

Not only the number of losses (both military and civilian) counts, but also the percentages.

And numerically for example (if we track only the losses), tiny Serbia goes in front of even Britain. And if this criteria should be alone applied, than Russia is leading; but we should not rely on it.

Then again, if a huge-population country sent a tiny army (and it could a far larger), and the army is wiped out, it still won't suffice as high casualties (e.g. hypothetically speaking if US army was destroyed at the Western Front).

Think this out for yourselves before you vote. Hope I helped. Big%20smile
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 20:06
Simple question:

France.

None of the other nations mobilized to the same extent or lost more men, and inflicted more casualties, with the exception of Russia (and the gap to Russia in absolute figures isn't that big, while France had a much smaller population).
On the other hand no other nations produced more guns, tanks and aircraft. France simply fought longer and harder, and fed more resources into the effort than any of the other alternatives. (They were better prepared for it and were at it longer than anyone else.)
Their efforts were also directed towards the part of the war which turned out to be decisive. Germany would win in the east, but the war was decided on the western front. The opposite situation to WWII that is.

They couldn't win it alone of course. WWI was very much a group effort. But it makes no sense to assume Britain made a bigger contribution because only by 1916 was it able to field a million man army to really pick up slack from the French. The French had fielded million man armies since 1914, and carried the land war with Germany almost entirely on the their own in the first two years of warfare. That somehow tends to get neglected at times.

It also makes no sense to claim the US contributed the most, since while their contribution was crucial, without first France taking the best punch of the Germans alone, and later alongside the British, there would have been no victory to contribute to for the US.
One must not insult the future.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 23:08
Originally posted by Joinville

Simple question:

France.

None of the other nations mobilized to the same extent or lost more men, and inflicted more casualties, with the exception of Russia (and the gap to Russia in absolute figures isn't that big, while France had a much smaller population).
On the other hand no other nations produced more guns, tanks and aircraft. France simply fought longer and harder, and fed more resources into the effort than any of the other alternatives. (They were better prepared for it and were at it longer than anyone else.)
Their efforts were also directed towards the part of the war which turned out to be decisive. Germany would win in the east, but the war was decided on the western front. The opposite situation to WWII that is.

They couldn't win it alone of course. WWI was very much a group effort. But it makes no sense to assume Britain made a bigger contribution because only by 1916 was it able to field a million man army to really pick up slack from the French. The French had fielded million man armies since 1914, and carried the land war with Germany almost entirely on the their own in the first two years of warfare. That somehow tends to get neglected at times.

It also makes no sense to claim the US contributed the most, since while their contribution was crucial, without first France taking the best punch of the Germans alone, and later alongside the British, there would have been no victory to contribute to for the US.

says the man with the william the conqueror av, a little bias eh? nah just kidding LOL, I agree with what you said. France definitely contributed the most when it came to manpower, weaponry, sheer bravery and mettle, etc. Let me revise my theory, the United States decided the fate of World War I with its crucial contribution but without the French backbone and application of those resources,  that contribution would have been useless.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 23:26

Of course it's France. I mean, they were the ones that actuallt were into war. Imperial Russia contributed a lot, but they were even less effective (Believe it or not) then French. France may have played terrible cards, but they manage to hold them. That changed the tide of war.

I was going for German Empire... but realized that it's axis, not allies. Dead

Join us.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 08:27

Simple question:

France.

Are you sure? France had nearly 2,000,000 dead. Russia had to face with almost 3,500,000.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 12:52
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Are you sure? France had nearly 2,000,000 dead. Russia had to face with almost 3,500,000.

France had about 1,3-1,4 million dead. Russian dead in official figures is 600K+. Estimates of actual dead is rather 1,7 million.
The figure that causes real head-scratching is the huge Russians figures for POWs and "missing". The official figure for that is 3,6+ million.
French wounded ended up a 4,3 million. Official Russian figure is 2,7 million. The estimate is almost 5 million.
France mobilised 8 million men out of a population of 40 million, Russia 12 out of 160 million.
So yes, Russia took more casualties than France in absolute figure, but not that much more (though the figures are astronomical by all counts). Relatively speaking the war took a heavier toll on the French.
And the Western Front was still where the war was decided.
One must not insult the future.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:22
I am sure many are not going to agree with me, but actually the winner of the war was infact Germany, and also the most effective.

Not only did they fight on two fronts. But they also had to help out Austria Hungary in the Balkans, and Ottoman Empire in Anatolia.

Not a single foreign soldier set foot in Germany, while northern France and western Russia was decimated with war. In 1918 Germany's chances of winning the war were actually higher than in 1914 (why do you think Germans felt betrayed by their interim government and fooled by the allies after the war)? French Industrial output was diminshing due the lack of resources, while Germany's was still booming. In 1918 even the Ottoman Empire made significant gains reaching Baku that same year.

Also due to its Geographical location at the center of Europe, Germany would go on to fill the power vacuum in Eastern Europe and the Balkans, with the demise of Austria-Hungary and Russian Empire.

By the end of the war contrary to popular belief Germany was not defeated...the conditions set by the treaty would make sure that another war will occur. Even though Germany had to pay a "penalty"...their economy was still geared towards war, and would stay that way until WWII.

Edited by mamikon - 15-Apr-2007 at 13:24
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 13:29

Originally posted by Yugoslav

France had about 1,3-1,4 million dead. Russian dead in official figures is 600K+. Estimates of actual dead is rather 1,7 million.
The figure that causes real head-scratching is the huge Russians figures for POWs and "missing". The official figure for that is 3,6+ million.
French wounded ended up a 4,3 million. Official Russian figure is 2,7 million. The estimate is almost 5 million.
France mobilised 8 million men out of a population of 40 million, Russia 12 out of 160 million.
So yes, Russia took more casualties than France in absolute figure, but not that much more (though the figures are astronomical by all counts). Relatively speaking the war took a heavier toll on the French.
And the Western Front was still where the war was decided.

And Serbia mustered 750,000 at arms from a 4,500,000 population. And it had 1,300,000 dead (indirect and direct counted, Montenegrins, and allies counted), which is a very shocking figure for such a population.

And yet I would not dare compare the Serbian Army to the French Army (although if it had its experience, France could've stopped the war early on probably).
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 14:35
Originally posted by mamikon

I am sure many are not going to agree with me, but actually the winner of the war was infact Germany, and also the most effective.

Not only did they fight on two fronts. But they also had to help out Austria Hungary in the Balkans, and Ottoman Empire in Anatolia.

Not a single foreign soldier set foot in Germany, while northern France and western Russia was decimated with war. In 1918 Germany's chances of winning the war were actually higher than in 1914 (why do you think Germans felt betrayed by their interim government and fooled by the allies after the war)? French Industrial output was diminshing due the lack of resources, while Germany's was still booming. In 1918 even the Ottoman Empire made significant gains reaching Baku that same year.

Also due to its Geographical location at the center of Europe, Germany would go on to fill the power vacuum in Eastern Europe and the Balkans, with the demise of Austria-Hungary and Russian Empire.

By the end of the war contrary to popular belief Germany was not defeated...the conditions set by the treaty would make sure that another war will occur. Even though Germany had to pay a "penalty"...their economy was still geared towards war, and would stay that way until WWII.

Germany was defeated on the battlefield in WW I.

After the withdrawl of Russia from the war in 1917 Germany was able to redeploy most of its' forces in the west for a spring offensive in 1918. This offensive came close to capturing Paris and probably knocking the French out of the war. It was eventually stopped with the help of the fresh American troops and the presense of a growing number of tanks on the battlefield. It was in this period that Allied tanks began showing up in the thousands, while Germany only produced a few dozen tanks for the entire war.

Allied offensives throughout the summer of 1918 caused severe damaged to the German army and it was only a matter of time before it collapsed, it wasn't going to go on the offensive again in WW I.

After the war the German armed forces were largley disbanded and prevented from developing beyond a very limited size and ability. The German U-boat and High Seas fleet were turned over to the Allies, many captains prefering to scuttle their craft.

You're repeating some of the same propaganda that was used by the Nazis to justify fighting another world war.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 15:30

Although Germany did not lose in a traditional sense, it failed its objective and that is essentially a loss. The United States of America did not "lose" Vietnam but it didn't contain communism in the rice bowl, therefore it lost Vietnam...same difference. I agree that the Treaty of Versailles was more or less a 20 year armistice, but the reason for another war was that the Allies did not aid Germany after the war, like there was in World War II. The Allies went in there, de-Nazified everything and then took occupation zones with Allies leading de facto. In World War I, the Allies treated Germany insanely harsh and then let failed revolution and failed government after another take over, leading to World War I. In any case, Germany still lost World War I, it was not the winner. It may have been the best equipped, trained, and may have not lost any soil but it declared war and failed in its objectives.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 16:07
Originally posted by DukeC

Germany was defeated on the battlefield in WW I.

After the withdrawl of Russia from the war in 1917 Germany was able to redeploy most of its' forces in the west for a spring offensive in 1918. This offensive came close to capturing Paris and probably knocking the French out of the war. It was eventually stopped with the help of the fresh American troops and the presense of a growing number of tanks on the battlefield. It was in this period that Allied tanks began showing up in the thousands, while Germany only produced a few dozen tanks for the entire war.

Allied offensives throughout the summer of 1918 caused severe damaged to the German army and it was only a matter of time before it collapsed, it wasn't going to go on the offensive again in WW I.

After the war the German armed forces were largley disbanded and prevented from developing beyond a very limited size and ability. The German U-boat and High Seas fleet were turned over to the Allies, many captains prefering to scuttle their craft.

It maybe true that Allies had a successful offenisve, however it doesn't mean that Germany would have been knocked out of the war.

Originally posted by DukeC

You're repeating some of the same propaganda that was used by the Nazis to justify fighting another world war.

I am repeating what I have learned in class, and my professor is Jewish not a Nazi sympathiser...

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 16:14

Although Germany did not lose in a traditional sense, it failed its objective and that is essentially a loss.

What were the German objectives?

n any case, Germany still lost World War I, it was not the winner. It may have been the best equipped, trained, and may have not lost any soil but it declared war and failed in its objectives.

Actually Germany declared war on Russia as I remember, and defeated Russia...while France declared war on Germany.

I am well aware, that "on paper" Germany lost, however the reality was different.

And you are correct, the 20 years between the wars was only an armistice...
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 16:48

Although Germany did not lose in a traditional sense, it failed its objective and that is essentially a loss.

What were the German objectives?

I would say a march on Paris and to force it into submission once again. I can see what you're saying as before the war their only objective was to defend themselves against the growing revanchism and Allied alliances and that they still succeeded in this defense because they did not lose any of their own territory; but why would the Germans create the Schlieffen Plan if they had no aims to put France to bed once and for all? They might as well have just waited at the Franco-German border and played the defensive, but instead they went on the offensive. I believe the military elite had too much power in Germany and they were just about tired of France and wanted to advance in there and havoc the place, perhaps even take French colonies in Africa (Bismarck years earlier wished to expand outside of Europe to avoid anymore European wars, he once said something to the effect of "who wants more Frenchman or Poles in the German Empire") whereas the common soldier just wished to fight in the defense of his homeland. I can totally see where you're coming from as they did succeed in the defense of their home land and I totally agree, however, I think the higher-ups failed in some of their ambitions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>