Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Real life modern Godzilla?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Real life modern Godzilla?
    Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 20:11

The Giant Crocodile of Burundi (Gustav)

Edited by Tyranos - 05-Oct-2007 at 20:12
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 17:50
How many shoes they could make out of it?

or bags.

or simply well-done...

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 18:15
Ah...everyone knows that large predatory creatures are bliss...

"sir! not THE CROCODILE!"

"JOY, JENKINS! JOY!"

stick a laser beam on that croc's head and Dr. Evil would forget all about the sharks...
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2007 at 21:46
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

How many shoes they could make

They tried but failed to kill him actually. Mainly those native Somali's going into his territory fishing and opening fire to harass him.

Edited by Tyranos - 07-Oct-2007 at 21:46
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 02:36
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

How many shoes they could make out of it?

or bags.

or simply well-done...

TROLL - blatant and as per usual un-reprimanded.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 02:56
Troll? where? I CAST MAGIC MISSILE AT THE DARKNESS!

(also: yeah. Gustavo. Been shot at, been nearly trapped, always escaped. He seems kind of like a ninja version of godzilla...instead of the traditional lumbering monster with zappy-breath)

Edited by TheARRGH - 08-Oct-2007 at 02:57
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 17:51
Ulrich, your posts are unaccetable and inadequate.

I will have an eye on you.....

The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 17:57
I really consider crocodiles some kind of dinosaur.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 17:59
Thank you Ulrich, it's about time Ulrich got reprimanded.

The funny thing is that compared to the ancient Crocs, this thing's a tiddler.

http://membres.lycos.fr/supercroco/articles/sarcosuchusimperator/Crocodiliens-Sarcosuchus.jpg

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 22:43
yeah..20 feet long is nothing compared to some of them.

..on another note...don't crocs sometimes attack sharks?

YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 00:42
In the Mesozoic era (the age of dinosaurs), there was a marine lizard of some sort which made today's crocodiles look like geckos by comparison.  One species even had a head the size of a small car!
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 03:17
Originally posted by YusakuJon3

In the Mesozoic era (the age of dinosaurs), there was a marine lizard of some sort which made today's crocodiles look like geckos by comparison. One species even had a head the size of a small car!

GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2007 at 07:33
I think Yusaku may be talking about Lipleurodon. It was a type of pliosaur. There were also huge crocodiles such as sarasuchus and dinosuchus. 

Edited by Knights - 11-Oct-2007 at 07:34
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by Knights

I think Yusaku may be talking about Lipleurodon. It was a type of pliosaur. There were also huge crocodiles such as sarasuchus and dinosuchus.

GET OUT!!!! that is nuts
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2007 at 16:23
Are you in disbelief about the "head being the size of a small car" part, Ponce? 
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 01:20
Originally posted by Knights

Are you in disbelief about the "head being the size of a small car" part, Ponce?

Yea. I think that is 'F' upped! How can an animal's head be that big?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 02:17
Well, no terrestrial animal could boast a head that size. Numerous amphibious or marine animals do though - just look at modern-day whales. Some Pliosaurs and Basilosaurus, as well as Prehistoric Crocodilians also did.
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2007 at 20:58
yea that makes sense. I can only image a land animal with the head the size of a car on land. If i wanted to insult the thing i'd go up to it and say.."yo, your head is so small its the size of a minnie cooper!"
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 00:51
How tough is crocodile skin? I realize that it's covered with those bony scutes, but how much would it actually protect a crocodile against something's claws or such?

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2007 at 04:02
Crocodile skin is very tough indeed. The scutes as you mentioned, are reinforced by protruding bony ridges. Also, the crocodile has "floating" bones in its back muscles, not connected to the endoskeleton I don't think. This culminates for an incredibly tough, leathery skin. Thus, it would protect against most things claws, except for maybe a Baryonyx! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>