Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should evolution or creationism be tought in schools?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which one?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [74.19%]
8 [25.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should evolution or creationism be tought in schools?
    Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 07:12
So?
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 07:56
i think neither should (unless it is sunday(church) school in which case Creationism)
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 08:20
The question should be slightly reworded:

Should science at the most recent stand of knowledge be taught or any old fairy stories?

Come on , if your Geography teacher would tell you in all earnest that there is day and night because the sun god gets up every morning, jumps in his his chariot and races the whole around day up in the sky until he he's tired and needs to go bed, your parents would write a letter to the school authority and ask for a psychiatric check-up.
So if an other teacher tells you that some other god created the whole universe in six days from scratch and made up all the animals and humans from a giant tub of play-doh, that's okay?
Not in my books!
I don't care what anybody believes how the world came about, that's up to them, but in a non-religious school science should be taught and not been substituted by some ancient legends from a neo-lithic nomad tribe somewhere in the middle of the desert 5000 years ago.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Le Renard View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Le Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 10:06
I think neither or both.  If one is taught then so should the other just to get both ends of the spectrum in.  If both aren't taught then none should be taught
"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 10:50
Schools are places for education not superstition. What next teaching witchdoctory in science class and flatearthism in geogrqphy lessons.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 11:35
Even though I believe in creationism, I have a hard time justifying it being taught in public schools. I think the conservative Falwell and Robertson types are up to something. Plus the conservative Christian view on the earth being 6,000 years old or whatever shows ignorance at force here. So creationism with hidden agendas is not my cup of tea. Neither is evolution though. Maybe I'll have a cup of coffee!
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 11:51
Evolution does not contradict creationsim, so I don't see a reason for its not being taught.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 12:04
Exactly, there doesnt have to be a contradiction there but its either black or white them.

You can believe in both.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 12:27
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Evolution does not contradict creationsim, so I don't see a reason for its not being taught.

The problem is not that the theory that the universe has been created by a deity can possibly be combined with the theory of the evolutionary development of species.
The creationist theory is, from what ever angle you see it, nothing but a metaphysical speculation, unproven and subject to individual belief.
Evolutionary theory is a scientific theory, arrived at by scientific investigation and open to investitative scrutiny. It can be either factually proven or be debunked as wrong.
Even if an individual can combine the belief both in a creator and in evolution, scientific education can only accept the latter.
Creationism is for religious education and has no place in science.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 13:01
I dont think he was proposing that it should be mixed or both taught but rather that evolution being taught in a school does not have to necessarily void-out an individuals belief of creation on a personal level.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 13:18

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

The problem is Christianity simply isn't true. It's merely a single religion within a world of dozens.

I'd ask all the Christians, Buddhist reincarnation doesn't conflict with the theory of evolution, why not teach that instead?

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 13:20

Interesting point. I shall add my two cents worth. Creationism can be observed as a science. That is what phenomenolgy is about. 1. A philosophy or method of inquiry based on the premise that reality consists of objects and events as they are perceived or understood in human consciousness and not of anything independent of human consciousness. Psychologists and sociologists utilize this form of research methodology often. Our awareness is often our judge. We can observe (i.e.-________) and heighten our sense of awareness of the observed.

We can observe the perfect form of matching butterfly wings on one butterfly. We can observe the dance of bees (method of communication). We can observe an embryo. We can even calculate distances of planets, gestation of human pregnancy, and many other phenomenological experiences. Now one may say these observations do not have any special meaning. Well, we therefore, give it meaning. Our intellect can ask questions and seek meaning based on the observatons and calculations we have incurred at that time.

Back to square one. One can then believe that there is a devine creation for such phenomena or one can say this is a coincidence. Yet the preponderances of coincidences in the universe leads, inevitably, to the thought that -"maybe their is a creator for such occurances". We can also use the analogy of a computer and its software. A computer by itself is nonintelligible as a method of lanquage. Yet when we program it with software it becomes intelligible.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 14:02
I agree with Seko!
But, evolution should be taught as a theory and not as a fact, it has not been proven!! Creation should be mentioned but in a way that does not supports any single religion and only briefly. I think the students should be allowed options but avoiding any particular belief system. Originally, the main text, in schools, was the Bible but our country is different today. I do not know why some of these radical liberals are so afraid of any mention of creation and why they are so paranoid of calling evolution a theory and not a fact in schools. I believe in balance and keeping options open but avoiding pushing any one particular religion.
Everyone is welcome to an opinion here but only U.S. citizens have to political ability to do anything about it here unless someone dressed in black forces it on us, common today.

I agree with creaton but I do not like all the dogma and Christian theology that comes with it but Christains are not the only ones who believe in creation.
A good book by a non-Christian group "Forbidden Archaeology" I think the author belongs to some type of Hindu belief.

Dr. Hovind has some very compelling evidence but I hate the way he pushes his faith also.

Anyone who calls it fairy tales is very closed minded though. I grew up with evolution and it also takes faith to believe in. I hate using a Christians web site but read his evidence then call it fairy tales. I will vote that some creation should be taught but the main thrust should be on the THEORY of evolution.

http://www.drdino.com/index.jsp

http://www.icr.org/pubs/president/prz-0312.htm
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 14:14

Creationism in the Bible is to sybolize God and how he made us in his image.  Evolution is scientifically accurate.  If it is a Christian school than both should be taught.  If it is not then only evolution should be taught because they may not believe in the Bible.

I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 14:22

you can believe both, but schools should teach only evolution.

christian schools should teach both

geez, i tutor a kid that goes to a christian school that teaches both, except in the creationism section they say they're teaching evolution only so we can know our enemy and defeat this word of the devil or something like that..

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 14:27
If it's a public school, only evolution.

Creationism relates itself to certain particular religions.  We shouldn't be teaching religion in our schools.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 15:16

One of those sites made me laugh about the dinosuars. Seems the more evidence comes up for evolution the more propganda comes up in support for christianity when none of these were said in the bible or scrolls in the past. And taking information from the bible and saying its a dinosaur by what they describe is like taking Notradomes' predictions and saying he saw the destruction of the twin towers. You have to be very superstitious to beleave in the stuff.

Well we know dinosaurs exist today, allegators and sharks, so if those pictures of those other dinosuars from the ocean are true, which I kinda doubt, then that doesn't prove much.

"I do not know why some of these radical liberals are so afraid of any mention of creation and why they are so paranoid of calling evolution a theory and not a fact in schools."

Christians seem to either attack science or just change there belief so people don't shy away from the belief of a supreme god who created all. Science, has been taught, creationism, or christianity in disguise hasn't really except in christian schools or in the past. While science always says that things are questionable and everything can be proven wrong until there is nothing left against it and even still then scientist look for reasons against it, religeons say once said thats it, if you questioned it in the past you were killed for saying "What if god doesn't exist?"

Some people don't want creationism taught because it fuels religeon while people just brush off science and move on in there life, they don't go someplace to worship science. They don't read a book of tales of heros and saviors for science unless they want to read about albert einstien who wrote of science. And even then some scientist were active christians, but they didn't include god into their works, they included only science and mathematics and questions.

I'm getting tired of christianity and there explanations for everything scientific that comes up. At some point they will be backed into a corner and unable to move on with anymore explanations, I honestly hope I see that day.

Now I say christianity and not christians, only because I have nothing against them, but more of the religeon itself. I don't hate people but I won't celebrate a religeon that has caused many wars in history along with other religeons. I don't beleave there has yet been a war in the name of science, all science has done is fueled the war but there are many sciences.

Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Idanthyrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 15:50

Creationism should not be taught in public schools. Religion is a private matter, lets try to keep the government out of it ok? Religion is one of humanity's greatist gifts, but religion is a human institution and as such is not above entertaining political ambitions. If Galileo Galilei hadn't challenged the curch doctrines of his time most westerners would probably still think that the idea of the earth revolving around the sun as just heretical fantasy.

I personally am suspicious of self-rightious scientists who make it a point of honor to systematically refute religion, but at its core ideal science is unbiased in a way that religion almost never is.

coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:08
without creationism, the theory of evolution wouldn't have existed in the first place.
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 16:22

"without creationism, the theory of evolution wouldn't have existed in the first place."

Where can I find evidence on that? I really want to know, I'm not making a arguement against you.

At some point in time, no matter what someone would come up with idea of evolutions existence. We are an inquizitve and a explorer species. Its in our nature to look for and to understand things. When we couldn't explain something religeon was created to make someone higher then themselves, that would know all. Our leaders are to lead us and give answers, humans are a race to be lead and when something can't be explained by our own kind we look for the person with the answers which happens to be a god or some other supernatural being.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>