Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steam trains

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steam trains
    Posted: 02-Jul-2012 at 19:08

On this day in 1938 Pacific Class locomotive Mallard broke the world speed record. Her streamlined boiler made her ideal for hauling high-speed express trains and she remained in service until 1963 when she was selected for preservation
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 13:10
You hit a soft spot Nick.Wink  Before the War, dad was a steam Mechanic on the Pennsy.  We rode the last scheduled steam run on the Reading Seashore line in 1956.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 19:01

Those Big Boy locomotives are impressive.  16 driving wheels gave it similar power to a double-headed train
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2012 at 19:42

The streamlined trains are the ones that fascinate me most. Above is LMS Coronation Class locomotive Duchess of Hamilton, built in 1937 and instantly recognisable as the train in the opening credits of Poirot
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 19:11
Originally posted by red clay

You hit a soft spot Nick.Wink  Before the War, dad was a steam Mechanic on the Pennsy.  We rode the last scheduled steam run on the Reading Seashore line in 1956.

Red, which steam locomotive is your favorite?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 11:15

Tough call Nick, truth is I like them all.

The Camden & Amboy was the first railroad to operate in New Jersey. It was founded by inventor, naval architect and transportation pioneer, John Stevens and his sons, Robert and Edwin.

In 1815, John Stevens succeeded in getting the New Jersey Legislature to authorize the forming of a company "to erect a rail road from the River Delaware near Trenton to the River Raritan at or near New Brunswick." This legislation was the first railroad act of the United States. In 1830, the New Jersey Legislature granted a charter for the Camden & Amboy Railroad. Stevens' sons, Robert and Edwin were named president and treasurer, respectively. At the same time, John Stevens became president and chief engineer of the Camden & Amboy Railroad and traveled to England to buy locomotives and rails. During the four week voyage, he whittled a model of a new rail pattern from a pine block. Shaped like an inverted "T", the new rail required only offset-headed spikes for fasteners. The "T" rail, as it came to be called, eventually became the most widely used type of rail in the world. With great difficulty, Stevens found a mill in England that would roll the new rail, and in 1831, twenty two shiploads of sixteen foot rail sections arrived in Philadelphia.

The new track was laid on rows of stone blocks to which rails were fastened by means of iron plates and spikes. When the shipments of stone blocks were slow, Stevens resorted to the use of wooden crossties as a temporary measure. The wooden crossties proved to be more resilient and smooth running than the stone blocks, trains could run at higher speeds than they had on the stone. Stevens soon replaced all the stone blocks with wood crossties, a practice eventually adopted by all railroads. In the process of laying these rails, Stevens designed the 'hook-headed spike', which was not much different in configuration from the spikes used today, the 'iron-tongue', (called fish plate today), and various nuts and bolts used in track construction.

Also delivered in 1831 was the engine John Bull, which Stevens purchased during his trip to England. The John Bull, shipped disassembled, was put together by Isaac Dripps, a young mechanic recently hired by Stevens, without benefit of blueprints or instructions. Renamed the Stevens, but seldom referred to by that name, The John Bull was modified considerably during its more than thirty years of service, ending in 1893. Always a avid proponent of steam power, Stevens had previously designed and built a small steam locomotive in 1825. He ran this engine on a circular track erected on his Hoboken, New Jersey estate. It was the first steam locomotive constructed in America. However, It was never used in regular service.

The four-wheeled John Bull had a horizontal boiler and weighed some ten tons. The eleven inch diameter cylinders had a twenty inch stroke. The drivers were fifty four inches in diameter. Members of the New Jersey legislature and Joseph Bonaparte (eldest brother of Napoleon, and ex-king of Spain) were among the passengers in the trail run made on November 12, 1831. The John Bull did not go into service until 1833.

John Bull, ca 1870

If I have a fav. this is probably it.

Edited by red clay - 06-Jul-2012 at 11:40
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 14:45
Nick, A section of my mother's family was heavily involved in the "Tuckerton Railroad".  1870 to 1936.  It was later absorbed by the "Southern".  When I was a very young child my grandfather took me to the train sheds in Whitings approx. 1952.  The Locomotives were still there, unused. At about the same time, my dad took me over to Atlantic City to the Pennsy and Reading yards.  He took me at night, so I could see the engines at rest, steam still coming out of the pistons.  I was only 4-5 at the time but the memory is still vivid.
So I guess I don't come by the interest strangely.
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 19:10
My uncles were both trainspotters during the 1950s and 60s in the final days of the steam age. They had notebooks in which they recorded the number of every train that passed
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2012 at 19:09
Originally posted by red clay

Tough call Nick, truth is I like them all.

The Camden & Amboy was the first railroad to operate in New Jersey. It was founded by inventor, naval architect and transportation pioneer, John Stevens and his sons, Robert and Edwin.

In 1815, John Stevens succeeded in getting the New Jersey Legislature to authorize the forming of a company "to erect a rail road from the River Delaware near Trenton to the River Raritan at or near New Brunswick." This legislation was the first railroad act of the United States. In 1830, the New Jersey Legislature granted a charter for the Camden & Amboy Railroad. Stevens' sons, Robert and Edwin were named president and treasurer, respectively. At the same time, John Stevens became president and chief engineer of the Camden & Amboy Railroad and traveled to England to buy locomotives and rails. During the four week voyage, he whittled a model of a new rail pattern from a pine block. Shaped like an inverted "T", the new rail required only offset-headed spikes for fasteners. The "T" rail, as it came to be called, eventually became the most widely used type of rail in the world. With great difficulty, Stevens found a mill in England that would roll the new rail, and in 1831, twenty two shiploads of sixteen foot rail sections arrived in Philadelphia.

The new track was laid on rows of stone blocks to which rails were fastened by means of iron plates and spikes. When the shipments of stone blocks were slow, Stevens resorted to the use of wooden crossties as a temporary measure. The wooden crossties proved to be more resilient and smooth running than the stone blocks, trains could run at higher speeds than they had on the stone. Stevens soon replaced all the stone blocks with wood crossties, a practice eventually adopted by all railroads. In the process of laying these rails, Stevens designed the 'hook-headed spike', which was not much different in configuration from the spikes used today, the 'iron-tongue', (called fish plate today), and various nuts and bolts used in track construction.

Also delivered in 1831 was the engine John Bull, which Stevens purchased during his trip to England. The John Bull, shipped disassembled, was put together by Isaac Dripps, a young mechanic recently hired by Stevens, without benefit of blueprints or instructions. Renamed the Stevens, but seldom referred to by that name, The John Bull was modified considerably during its more than thirty years of service, ending in 1893. Always a avid proponent of steam power, Stevens had previously designed and built a small steam locomotive in 1825. He ran this engine on a circular track erected on his Hoboken, New Jersey estate. It was the first steam locomotive constructed in America. However, It was never used in regular service.

The four-wheeled John Bull had a horizontal boiler and weighed some ten tons. The eleven inch diameter cylinders had a twenty inch stroke. The drivers were fifty four inches in diameter. Members of the New Jersey legislature and Joseph Bonaparte (eldest brother of Napoleon, and ex-king of Spain) were among the passengers in the trail run made on November 12, 1831. The John Bull did not go into service until 1833.

John Bull, ca 1870

If I have a fav. this is probably it.

The cowcatcher, tall funnel, guiding wheels, cab and bell remind me of the locomotives of the Old West. Were these all fitted around the same time, or gradually added over many years as i understand John Bull had a long working life?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2012 at 09:49
Yes, they were all fitted prior to going into service.  This is where the Cow- Catcher was invented.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2012 at 19:29

It's interesting how (initially) the John Bull closely resembled other Stephenson locomotives before radically evolving to cope with American terrain. The two-wheeled cowcatcher was needed because the unmodified 0-4-0 locomotive was prone to derailing when cornering at speed
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2012 at 19:05

Streamlined locomotive, 4-6-2 Pacific, Class K-4s. Engine no. 3768. Design by Raymond Loewy for Pennsylvania Railroad. Utility patent 2,128,490. 1938

Edited by Nick1986 - 16-Jul-2012 at 19:06
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 20:29

1936 oil-powered steam locomotive: Milwaukee Road Class A built to haul the Hiawatha Express
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 19:40

Southern Railways Battle of Britain Class locomotive of 1945, nicknamed the "spam can"
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2012 at 19:11

GWR pannier tank engine, recognisable as "Duck" in Rev W. Audrey's Railway Series
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2012 at 19:58

One of the most famous steam trains of all time: Flying Scotsman made the trip from London to Edinburgh in a record eight hours on 1 May 1928 and was the first locomotive to reach 100 MPH on November 30 1934
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2012 at 19:10

These big LMS tank engines were equally at home pulling freight and passenger trains. They were in production from 1927 until 1956
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 19:37

A Hunslet "Austerity" saddle tank engine built in the 1940s for the war effort and later used by British Rail

Edited by Nick1986 - 12-Aug-2012 at 19:41
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2012 at 19:46

The Garrett locomotive had two sets of driving wheels, enabling it to pull longer and heavier trains. It was a popular choice in South Africa, Rhodesia and Australia for hauling mineral wagons and passenger trains
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 19:14

Red, have you heard of the Listowel to Ballybunion Railway? On this early steam monorail, the locomotives had two boilers: one on either side of the track
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>