Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does Greek sound like to a non speak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does Greek sound like to a non speak
    Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 15:06
Hmnmm please - I am trying to learn about part of my roots so please don't morph this topic.

What does Greek sound like to a native English speaker?
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 15:10
OK, first of all it's not me that provoked by posting these facts. It's your politicians that have provoked by saying such things. Didn't Bey Albo question any claims on Kosovo? All I did was politely point out that he may not have but some of your politicians obviously disagree.

Second, open up a map and look at the geographic area that is named Epirus.You will see that you have the North part, which in the Hellinic language is 'Voreios'.
This is by no means is any kind of claim as you dream of.
It is simply a different name of the same area. Either S.Albania or N. (Voreios) Epirus are correct.

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 15:18
Why do you consider the 'term' TorkAlbanians as some kind of insult???
Did you not adopt language, customs and religion?
Were you not their #1 allies?
Is there not alot of common blood?

1.We certainly did not adopt their language, we still have out own customs which are not in anyway of Turkish origins and we adopted Islam. And like I said, even Pasha's in Albania were more prone to learn Greek or Slavic then Turkish....

2. If by number 1 allie you mean us having to give a certain amount of soldiers and fighting when telling us to in order to maintain our autonomy then yes.

3. Nope, there is no common blood. We did not have a Turkish population in Albania and we maintained self rule. Those Albanians who do are the one swho today live in Istanbul.... They moved when the borders were drawn. They are also the ones who were deported by the Slavs and FYROMIANS

Hmnmm please - I am trying to learn about part of my roots so please don't morph this topic.

You are very right. I will no longer post about this stuff.

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 15:28

Originally posted by Phallanx

Ignorance is a vicious weapon in the hands of a nationalist.
Why don't you tell us exactly what the Byzantine empire was if not a Hellinic empire. Where the Hellinic ideals and language not promoted (you should read a thing or two about Byzantium, since he was obviously a part of your history. Even though you are only recorded as a part of it, after the 11th cent.)

OK first of all get your grammar correct don't refer to Byzantium as he but it. O so Byzantium was part of OUR history... wow thanks for elevating us that much Phallanx... i though we were to some degree part of its history. Byzantium was part of the Roman Empire and the Eastern half of it which simply outlasted the western half. I don't care about the fact that they promoted Greek and Orthodox religion. The fact is that the empire was built and maintained by people of different nationalities not just Greeks but... Huns, Avars, Greeks, Goths, Illyrians and many others.

I would like to see not many but one example of anything I posted that could be considered as my support of "Megali Idea".

Why do you consider the 'term' TorkAlbanians as some kind of insult???

I don't consider it as an insult... i simply don't consider it true.
Did you not adopt language, customs and religion?

No... we have a lot of turkish words and other foreign words but we still speak our indigeneous base language even after centuries of oppression from Romans, Byzantines, Serbs, Bulgars, Ottomans. We still have our customs which are Albanian customs... the Greeks adopted some of our customs like the "fustanella" by the way. Yes we did adopt religion just like everyone else. We just dont feel that we should all have one religion to stay united... we still are even though we practice three different religions. No Albanian that i know of has killed another Albanian because of his religious beliefs. Serbs? hmm Bosnia need i say more??

Were you not their #1 allies?

Because we didn't favor you... we just looked after our interests.. just like every Balkan nation out there. Serbia, Bulgaria, and Greece allied with each other because of religion and also to divide Albania. So for our survival we had to look for some help too.

Is there not alot of common blood?

Nope thats just not true... i can't find the link but im pretty sure it said that Albanias are 70% Illyrian/Dinaric stock, 20% mediterrean, and 10% i dont remember. Don't argue about this because you used the same site when you were arguing with a Turkish forum member.

You obviously need to be more tollerant of your history especially when these are well known facts and no attempt of propaganda. Unless you are attempting to denounce your Ottoman past?

No comment to that

As for your SlavoGreek trolling. You first must be able to support, similarities in customs, language, hell why not even blood, something that you know, you can't. That is the great difference here.

Same goes to you.

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 15:33

Originally posted by eaglecap

As an English speaker, you cannot tell when a Greek couple are fighting or when it is just a normal conversation!!

Oh yes ...u will understand it in 2 secs if they fight...

Maybe this is why I thougth my mother and sister were always fighting when they spoke Greek on the phone.

Ur mom and sis were not , repeat NOT , fighting.... they were arguing loudly ...

Fellow Greeks- questions?????

When an American gal at the university catches me looking at them I usually get a smile but when I was in Athens I would just get a blank look from the Greek women. American women are hard enough to figure out so any advice on this. Since I hope to go back to Greece soon I need advice from my Greek brothers.(Greeks only)

Simple ...Here in Greece , men spoil women ....So to get a smile from them , it usually requires from u to say something , smart , funny and original..

I remember once when I was suppose to meet my cousin in a bar in Corinth, my mother's home town, I was sitting there, while waiting for my cousin, and admiring all the beautiful Greek women. I noticed a group of Greeks guys sort of giving me the evil eye till my cousin came in. I really do not take the Greek side so they probably thought I was some British, German, Dutch or American an tourist, the Greeks usually thought I was European for some strange reason.

Nothing to worry about ...We usually are very possesive of our women..u only had to close an eye on them and smile...They would probably smile back... 

Isk..

dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 16:09

Don't be provocative for the blood and all these stupid things. From the first time that some people claimed that Greeks were mixed up with other nations, a lot of reasearches took place on the blood and the physical characteristics of Greeks. What was the conclusion? That they cannot find any connection to the Turkish or Slavic DNA. Serbs, Croatians, Slovenes, Skopjians etc are Slavs. Saying that we have the same religion or we are a friendly nation with one of them (Serbs) is not a proof. 

Byzantine Empire was a Hellenic multicultural Empire (just like Ottoman Empire which was a Turkish Empire included Greeks, Albanians, Slavs etc). Greek language, Greek Orthodoxy, Greek Leaders. The Fall of Constantinople was a defeat of Greeks (ask the Turks for this who are very proud of it) and not a general defeat of all the people who lived in the Empire. Byzantium, Constantinople was the Center of Hellenism. But of course this part of history belongs to all the Balkanian nations and not only to Greece.

Let's talk about the topic of this thread. Anyone who is not interested can go somewhere else to continue this stupid argument.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 16:48
Originally posted by Murtaza

iskenderani

You are most moronic people I ever saw.

I dont like to insult elders, but If you dont deserve noone deserve.

Murtaza, please refrain from insulting other members or i'll have to issue an offical warning and notify the Administrators. thanks.

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 17:45
Originally posted by iskenderani

Originally posted by vulkan02

Because we didn't favor you... we just looked after our interests.. just like every Balkan nation out there. Serbia, Bulgaria, and Greece allied with each other because of religion and also to divide Albania. So for our survival we had to look for some help too.

A wonderful mix of History ....So , ### u looked after ur interests ### and why do you deny Greece , Bulgaria and Serbia to look after THEIR interest which was a common interest at the Balkan wars of 1912-13 ???When u allied urselves with Turkey , this was done almost 3 centuries before the Balkan wars...and Serbia , Bulgaria and Greece , were not existing as free countries by then...

Try harder next time ...u may still mix the TurkAlbanians with the Chinese..No problem...

Isk..

Again you prove how ignorant you truly are by denying your own self with your own argument.
3 centuries before that Turkey didn't exist, Ottoman Empire existed so please get ur facts right. Every subject people was allied with it because  we were their subjects and part of the Ottoman Empire.

... and i dont deny Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia looking after their interests. And if im not mistaken Serbia and Bulgaria fought each other during WW1 because of land disputes.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 17:52
Phallanx i could go on and on forever with you but i dont wanna waste my time like many times before... i got better things to take care of. So how does Greek sound to a non speaker??
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Murtaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 18:08

Aeolus

World is still turning my friend.

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 18:32

Originally posted by vulkan02

Again you prove how ignorant you truly are by denying your own self with your own argument.
3 centuries before that Turkey didn't exist, Ottoman Empire existed so please get ur facts right. Every subject people was allied with it because  we were their subjects and part of the Ottoman Empire.

So , i am ignorant....

And you , who claims thet Turkey was born in just one minute after the signature of a paper that renamed the ruins of the Ottoman Empire , to Turkey , you are a respected scholar of History...Ottomans , slept as Ottomans and woke up the next day as Turks...a very scientific historical , examination of facts. Turkey , began her course in History as an innocent baby ....with no past.....only future..how poetic.

Well , i am so sorry to inform u , but History says completely different things..

I humbly prefer to remain an ignorant , than to attempt passing such theories as yours...

Isk..

human View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote human Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2005 at 02:22

Dear friends hi!

I only want to say one thing.

Read "the gates of fire" by Pressfield. The book is.... i cant describe it.

Maybe our friends understand the difference between freedom and slavery.

Freedom since 480 B.C. and you still dont have it in your country.

Dont forget the banner from the recent games between Greece and Panathinaikos. "Ismir Gold medal to Greeks from swimming" in the first and "Instabul turkish since 1453" (or something like that). i dont remember to have any banner in our home matches.

As for the Albanians there are good people (most of them). They just need some years to get civilized.

You Got to Lose to Know How to Win...
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 08:17

I fail to see what all the above have to do with how the Greek language sounds to a non-speaker...

Sisters and brothers, I think that AllEmpires is a much more intellectual forum than one used for exchange of national propagandas and polarised historical versions.

When I joined I did it because I had observed some most interesting linguistic analyses and many other intriguing studies and historical presentations.

I am regret to observe the deterioration of quality in many threads and the generation of threads that are nothing more than pure challenges for extreme flaming.

I will not be leaving this forum, as other have done, but I am reducing my contributions to mere jesting and joking until the aforementioned mess is somehow substantially reduced.

(edited to add "polarised")

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 08:35

Hi, this is my first post.

Greek language is spoken very fastly. On the film Rebetiko, the speech between Babis and Marika is extremely fast, as if they are repeating a tongue twister!

As for the ongoing discussions:

I think that all peoples and nations are characterised by the history. History gives them positions and peoples act according to these positions. No one can accuse our Greek friends for getting angry about for they are ruled by the Ottoman Empire. This is universal for every nation, who were dominated by another power. Also, noone can expect that a traditional empire, i.e. the Ottoman Empire, can act as a "social state" of the 20th century.

Being oppressive was the character of the traditional empires. Not only towards their subject nations but also their own people, too. In fact, the Ottoman Empire was also opressive against its Turkish subjects. Ottomans never used the name "Turk" for themselves. Ottomans cared much about taxes, rather than identities and Islam was just a political tool for them.It was only after the independences of subject nations that Turkish natinalism emerged. It was as late as the beginning of the 20th century. It is obviously very late, therefore Turkish nation building has problems even today. However nation building is also very young (since the French Revolution, i.e. the late 18th Century) as a fact. Nations are artificial constructions, though they have some basis in the history. "Imagined Communities
Reflections on the Origins and Spread of Nationalism"
by Benedict Anderson is a very useful source for this issue.

Nation building requires a "bad" other against whom "we" struggled and became independent. All national histories use this view and they need  this in order to survive. Without glorifying the struggle and anger against Turkey, the modern national Greek identity wouldn't exist. Nor the Turkish national identity would exist without the subject nations' "betrayal" and the independence war against Greeks. It is because of their historical position that the nationalists of Greek, Serbian, etc. formerly subject nations act the "oppressed innocents" while Turkish nationalists act the"tolerant ruler". I think that nationalist views are distorted retrospective visions.

I think the key word is "empathy" for better relations. Turks should admit that Greeks cannot view being ruled by a foreign power as a good thing. Remember that Turks fought a harsh struggle against the Greek Army for not being a subject nation. Also, Greeks should admit that none of the traditional empires would like to grant complete freedom or any land to its subjects. Remember, the Byzantine Empire fought for every inch of its land until the fell of Constantinople (or stanbul) and they also had cruel kings like  Basil II Bulgaroctonos (The Bulgar Slayer). Of course, this doesn't justify any oppression of any state. It was just the nature of traditional empires.

Prof. Dr. Herkul Millas, who is a Greek academist born in Turkey and studies the perception of the "Other" in both Greece and Turkey claims that both Turks and Greeks built their nations with the inspiration from the Europeans, they even began to use the names "Turk" and "Hellen" instead of "Ottoman" and "Romios" with this inspiration. (As I remember). He has very useful studies on these peoples' perception of each other and shows the ways to understand them. Ex: Do and Not To Do Guide for Better Turkish-Greek Relations, Turkish Novel and the "Other": The Greek Image in National Identity (I don't know if the original title are these).

Blaming each other for their ancestor's deeds is nonsense. Also, claiming superiority depending on those ancestors is nonsense. All of the ancient cultures are humanity's legacy. All peoples in all countries suffer from oppressions, exploitation, or lack of democracy. Turks and Greeks are also included in this. Both of them experienced military coups and anti democratic practices (Greece between 1967-1974 and Turkey in 1980 and onwards). Like Greeks, Turkish people struggle for better democratic conditions and much things are better in terms of democracy, compared to a few years ago.

I dream of a world without any oppression and dislike nationalistic struggles.

By the way, I don't know how tu quote. I'll appreciate any help, thanks

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 08:49
Originally posted by kotumeyil

By the way, I don't know how tu quote. I'll appreciate any help, thanks

You press the "quote" button on the top right of the relevant post  

I may agree or disagree more or less with parts of your post but I can only congratulate your approach and thank you for importing some sense to this ocean of moronic posts

We definatelly need more inteligent members in this forum, so welcome aboard!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
human View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote human Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 09:15
Originally posted by kotumeyil

Hi, this is my first post.

Your aproach was excellent, although i may disagree with some things too.

Welcome! 

You Got to Lose to Know How to Win...
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 10:18
Thanks!
dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2005 at 19:30

Nice try kotumeyil!  

We shouldn't deny our past. It consists of glorious and opprobrious times and actions.  

Greek sounds like a twister?  I had no idea.

"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 09:00

Well, wow. Long time since I last saw real ancient Greek writing!

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2005 at 09:02
is my contribution
CARRY NOTHING
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>