Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
conon394 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote conon394 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great
    Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 00:36

ZEUS10

Surly you dont think to gain any credibility by pointing to a web site that would discuss (apparently/maybe) Greek mythology but use Roman/Latin Gods?

Edited by conon394 - 21-Oct-2007 at 00:36
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 09:32
Zeus10 and the rest, why don't you open another thread instead of messing up this one with irrelavant information?

Edited by Flipper - 21-Oct-2007 at 09:33

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2007 at 09:53
Originally posted by Flipper

Zeus10 and the rest, why don't you open another thread instead of messing up this one with irrelavant information?

actaully Zeus10 I wont be asking you to, i am telling you.  start another thread but dont hijack this one any further.

responses to his posts are also not welcome.

Edited by Leonidas - 26-Oct-2007 at 11:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 03:03

Leonidas:

The disscusion was flowing normally. My emotions never supersedes my judgement. Its harmless when you listen to a opinion totally different from yours. And also, dont listen to the 'bug". The pseudointelectual "noise" is more dangerous for your position than my postings.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 13:31
Originally posted by ZEUS10

Leonidas:

The disscusion was flowing normally. My emotions never supersedes my judgement. Its harmless when you listen to a opinion totally different from yours. And also, dont listen to the 'bug". The pseudointelectual "noise" is more dangerous for your position than my postings.

Ive been very patient with you for quite a while, but i have had enough. Consider this an unofficial warning of a very strong kind. That means, one more ounce of this negative tone and you get the real thing.

Now stop trolling the threads with your theories. you want to post in this thread then talk about the topic.

edit:**all offending posts have now been removed**

Edited by Leonidas - 26-Oct-2007 at 11:13
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:16
Why did Alexander accomplish so much?
Well, I think one cannot judge of his success using his personality only.
Look at the name he was given: means protector of men: he must have been born to invade persia, litterarly. 
And look at his upbringing: he knew what military is at a very early age. 
These all are signs that he was meant to be what he was and do what he didTongue
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:24
If Demosthenes spoke lies of Philip out of political reasons, how come the Athenians believed Demosthenes?
D said in his 3rd Phillipic Philip was of a country where there are no good slaves. So, to my mind (I've read it on a forum) D must have known about the notion foreign countries have about the Greek slaves, and that those notions would be common knowledge to his fellow citizens... Still he choses to speak a lie?
And indeed-was it a lie?
Are there any other reports of no good Macedonian/Greek slaves?
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:25
Originally posted by krater

Look at the name he was given: means protector of men: he must have been born to invade persia, litterarly. 
These all are signs that he was meant to be what he was and do what he didTongue

Good point. The House of Macedon claimed descent from Heracles, and the House of Epirus claimed descent from Achilles. Since Alexander was a descendant of both houses, he would've most certainly felt some kind of inspiration.
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:36
So, as he wasn't Greek (he's mother was) he accepted the military ways of his father and the religious ways of his mother. Military and religion strongly convinced. But what about his nationality?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:40

If Demosthenes spoke lies of Philip out of political reasons, how come the Athenians believed Demosthenes?

Demosthenes was in staunch opposition of Philip's rising power, as he'd foreseen that it would be at the expense of Athens. He was an excellent orator and at the same time a demagogue who no matter if one agrees or not with him he's still respected for it. He hated Philip with a passion and missed no opportunity to show it.

Now lies in politics, is nothing that is unheard of, even today Wink
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:46
Yes, that's true, but how could the Athenians believe th ''slave lies''. i mean it's not as nowadays, eg iraq, where we get to know about it through tv. those people did tradings they must've known the other nation's characteristics, kind of common sense, to my mind.
afterall, based od D orations the greek fought the macedonians, am i right?Approve
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:54
Originally posted by Penelope

Good point. The House of Macedon claimed descent from Heracles, and the House of Epirus claimed descent from Achilles. Since Alexander was a descendant of both houses, he would've most certainly felt some kind of inspiration.

There is some Bacchiadai in the House of Macedon as well which traces back to Corinth. That explains the name Alexander. According to Eusebius, the first man in Greece named Alexander, was Alexander of Corinth, 10th King of his city who ruled around the late 9th century.

krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:56

can it be proven beyond reasonable doubt, though, A was greek?Unhappy

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:00

Yes, that's true, but how could the Athenians believe th ''slave lies''. i mean it's not as nowadays, eg iraq, where we get to know about it through tv. those people did tradings they must've known the other nation's characteristics, kind of common sense, to my mind.
afterall, based od D orations the greek fought the macedonians, am i right?Approve

Athens and Thebes did. They do not represent the whole of Greece. There were allies and neutrals as well.

In the Peloponesian war the same happened. The wars between cities and kindoms were constant. Many minor wars occured that do not get much attention.

krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:05
yes, seems we've come to another issue, that of the dorians. why do you think dorians are greek? i mean i was visiting a forum on macedonia and found some plausible thoughts as to dorians not being greek (their lifestyle would explain that).Shocked
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:06

can it be proven beyond reasonable doubt, though, A was greek?Unhappy

This has been analyzed millions of times here. The Royal House of Macedon and the people who lived there are two separate things. Macedonians started as a tribe with their leader called Macedon. The Royal House, started centuries later, by Karanos who was from Argos. The Kings that followed were not exactly natives but an Aristocracy comming from other Kindoms or cities.

krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:07
as to athenes and thebes-what role exactly did they have in the ancient greek body? ie was there such a role?
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:11

yes, seems we've come to another issue, that of the dorians. why do you think dorians are greek? i mean i was visiting a forum on macedonia and found some plausible thoughts as to dorians not being greek (their lifestyle would explain that).Shocked

Dorians...hehe, there was never a doubt about the Dorians. They belonged to the second largest dialectic group of greek language speakers.  For example the Spartans were Dorians. Many colonies around the mediteranian were Dorian and even though they were remote their language reveals their origin.

Today, there is 1 clear dorian dialect left in Greece. That is the Tsakonian language of the villages around Sparta. Karpathian (of the island of karpathos) is Dorian as well but with more mixtures. The same goes for the Paladarian Greek which is a mix of Doric and Attic. Generally the surviving languages that keep some doric elements belong to a diatopy called "pu" or "pou".

krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:43
yes, another issue... but let them warn us...
what are the inscriptions about, i mean aren't they religious?
and can a nation be the nation judging by its religion only (zionism)? 
krater View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote krater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:46

no i mean couldn't it be the same: kind of ''LEGENDARY'', ie this Highlander/Jesus issue, i mean... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>