Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War on Iraq

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War on Iraq
    Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 21:36
Originally posted by Thegeneral

[QUOTE=

Oh, and I would just like to add one thing.  If you are saying the WMD was "hocus pocus" you may want to rethink this.  The Iraqi airforces second in command, General (forgot his name, I'm not good with Arab names) said that Saddam did and does have WMD.  He says that because of his position, he was able to see the WMD.  And then when the UN was looking around, he saw Saddam scramble to hide them.  He also claims days before America invaded, he was ordered to have his men fly the WMD to Syria, or atleast the major parts of them.  If you don't believe me, he was on the news for writting his book on it.  (also forgot the name)

Our son was an army combat eng. attached to 2nd brigade, 3rd acr

and was in one of the point units. He said the first Iraqi installation they came to was stocked with thousands of MOP suits and gas masks, and tens of thousands of atropine injectors.  " The pucker factor went up by a factor of ten".  It was obvious to them that the I.A. thought they had wmds and that they would be used. 

Don't misunderstand, I am not a proponent of this badly planned ill conceived mess the shrub has gotten us into.   however it is not as clear cut as some people would have you believe.   

Edited by red clay
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 21:49
I'm sure it's not, but do people want to listen to the government?  Of course not, because people want action and results, as if Saddam's capture wasn't enough.
Dark Age View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dark Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 22:25
Short of finding WMD in Syria, no one will trust a story opposite their beliefs.  George Sada either saw the WMD or he didn't, but he's claimed both.  First, he was told by two pilots that WMD was transported to Syria by plane, then he claims he actually saw the barrels, which were transported by truck.  For the record, I have not read his book, but I suppose it will get a boost from his promotional appearances, like Richard Clarke.

Also, I'm sure Muslims don't appreciate his statement that Iraq was and is a Christian nation. 

http://amboytimes.blogspot.com/2006/01/saddams-general-cla ims-wmds-in-syria.html
saiwan View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote saiwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 23:33

In iraq only baathis and terrorist fear american soldiers. After all the USA liberated the iraqi ppl from Saddam, the son of the devil.

They didnt find WMD? Actually they did! The worse kind of WMD!!! Saddam!!!!

Sad that so many ppl dies down there, but they are being killed by their own country men, not by americans.

Hopefully the situation gets better there soon, but most likely there will be a civil war.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 23:45
Looks like the whole policy for that country is left to hope. Unfortunately, that is a shame and a shambles. I still want to know what the US policy over there is today and tommorrow.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 00:13

Originally posted by Seko

Looks like the whole policy for that country is left to hope. Unfortunately, that is a shame and a shambles. I still want to know what the US policy over there is today and tommorrow.

It's been said many times, handing over more and more of the pacification duties to the Iraqis, in order to allow for the establishment of a stable regime friendly to the United States in the heart of the Middle East.  In a sense we have an exit strategy for our forces, but an endurance strategy for our influence from which we can exert a great deal of influence on that important region.

Member of IAEA
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 00:50
I would like to believe that we are going to foster a stable regime with our sturdy dollars. Our imperialism has gone from bases in foreign countries to nation taking. We like takeovers. It's in our mindset. We are numb to it. Had the Iraqis asked us to come and change the country's government and demographics then I would be for the invasion. Since that wasn't the case we are not stabilizing that country yet. We have the choice to remain obstinate and continue to push our own agenda (for strategic purposes) however. Remaining patient and sticking it out may bring dividends. How long though? What may eventually happen is that a civil war will brew. One side will show dominance. If that winning side doesn't want us then we will have a problem. And we will be asked to leave. If they do want us it will be a long time for the dust to settle in order to see that. In the mean time lives and dollars will be wasted.   
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 06:59
I don't think those soldiers over there would want to be thought of as "wasted" if they died.  That is rather demeaning to the troops.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 07:46

I don't think those soldiers over there would want to be thought of as "wasted" if they died.  That is rather demeaning to the troops.

But does that make it any less true?
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 08:22
the most recent poll reveals that war in Iraq significantly increased negative view of Americans among Turkish people

Poll results:

Do you support Iran's nuclear program?
%46 Yes
%45 No

Would you support a US attack on Iran?
%94 No

Would you support a US attack on Syria?
%96 No

Should US troops withdraw from Iraq?
%52 Yes, immediately
%22 Yes, by next year
%2 No

%92 of participants think, nothing positive has happened since Americans invaded Iraq.
%59 of Participants think, there is no difference between Saddam's regime and American control
%30 of participants think, Iraq was better off with Saddam

What is USA trying to do in Iraq?

%80 think, USA wants Iraq's oil
%12 think, USA is trying to form an independent Kurdish State
%8 think, USA is protecting Israel

Who is responsible for civil war in Iraq?

%71  USA
%7   Israel
%5 Al Kaide and Shias

http://sondakika.milliyet.com.tr/2006/03/24/son/sontur05.asp

Edited by erci
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 08:56
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Does anybody have current anything on this stupid unessary war? I'm curious. My friend is an Iraqi and his family is in the frontline trying to evade the American forces. His bro was killed by an American marine. Trying to flee the battle. "He was murderd by soldiers" my friend says, as his brother was trying to escape 

Um, was he by chance part of the Ba'ath party?  Maybe there was a good reason for him trying to flee from Americans?  Only criminals run.

Oh, and I would just like to add one thing.  If you are saying the WMD was "hocus pocus" you may want to rethink this.  The Iraqi airforces second in command, General (forgot his name, I'm not good with Arab names) said that Saddam did and does have WMD.  He says that because of his position, he was able to see the WMD.  And then when the UN was looking around, he saw Saddam scramble to hide them.  He also claims days before America invaded, he was ordered to have his men fly the WMD to Syria, or atleast the major parts of them.  If you don't believe me, he was on the news for writting his book on it.  (also forgot the name)

No he isn't. He has nothing to do with the army, or in fact anything that involves killing. He is a regular person trying to live an impossible life. I'll bet you would try to flee too, if your country was occupied by armed forces. While doing that you will/might get shot.
Oh btw there was a firefight going on and he fled from the fight, in so doing that, I'll bet the Marines thought he was a combatnant. So they shot him. I guess the marines were trying to protect themselves.

Edited by The Canadian Guy
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 10:45

Originally posted by erci

the most recent poll reveals that war in Iraq significantly increased negative view of Americans among Turkish people

Poll results:

Do you support Iran's nuclear program?
%46 Yes
%45 No

Would you support a US attack on Iran?
%94 No

Would you support a US attack on Syria?
%96 No

Should US troops withdraw from Iraq?
%52 Yes, immediately
%22 Yes, by next year
%2 No

%92 of participants think, nothing positive has happened since Americans invaded Iraq.
%59 of Participants think, there is no difference between Saddam's regime and American control
%30 of participants think, Iraq was better off with Saddam

What is USA trying to do in Iraq?

%80 think, USA wants Iraq's oil
%12 think, USA is trying to form an independent Kurdish State
%8 think, USA is protecting Israel

%71  USA
%7   Israel
%5 Al Kaide and Shias

I think you will get roughly the same results in all Western and Western aligned countries, except Israel and the US.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 17:17

I think you would get the same results for attacking Iran and Syria in America mostly because they aren't a real threat at the moment and very few people know what those two countries are doing at the present.

However, I still find it shear stupidity and/or pure ignorance to believe
1.  We should pull out of Iraq immediatly
2.  We are in Iraq for oil.

If we pulled out of Iraq now, it would be worse than if we were in there.  And if the Iraqis thought it would be better without us, they should ask us to leave.  If we don't, we would be in violation and then be an occupying country.

And if we were in Iraq for oil, someone explain to me two things:  Why Iraq, and why are oil prices still high?  Iraq isn't even our top supplier of oil.  So why would we invade Iraq?  And if we really needed oil, we could always go to Alaska if we needed oil badly enough to invade Iraq.  And if we are in Iraq, why are prices still so high?  If we were really in it for oil, America's main objective would have been to secure the oil areas and not bother ridding the cities of the insugents.  The logic just doesn't fit.

And who is responsible for the so called "civil war"?  Lol, America?  And Israel is even on the poll?  HAHAHA!  Thats great.  Shows how well people actually listen to the news.  Its all Americas fault terrorists decide to blow themselves up and kill their fellow country.  I LOVE Turkish logic!

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 17:22
Originally posted by Genghis

Originally posted by Seko

It's been said many times, handing over more and more of the pacification duties to the Iraqis, in order to allow for the establishment of a stable regime friendly to the United States in the heart of the Middle East.  In a sense we have an exit strategy for our forces, but an endurance strategy for our influence from which we can exert a great deal of influence on that important region.

The problem with depending on the Iraqis is, how do you know who your friends are. The insurgents are infiltrating the Iraqi security forces and causing chaos from within. The U.S. needs a dependable power base inside of Iraq that really isn't available. The Kurds in the North provide some support, but they also have their own agenda. The Shia in the south also cause some reservations as they could easily turn Iraq into another fundamentalist state on the model of Iran. Forget the Sunnis, they were Saddams greatest supporters. The U.S. effort in Iraq is a little like trying to build a house on quicksand, any progress you make is soon swallowed up.

Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 17:23

%5 Al Kaide and Shias

i find that one really funny.

its the sunni's that are doing all of this crap, but i guess in a sunni country they dont want to admit it.

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:20
not that funny I think, besides only %5 think it's Al kaida and shias, not a big deal, it's just a poll.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:40

I think you would get the same results for attacking Iran and Syria in America mostly because they aren't a real threat at the moment and very few people know what those two countries are doing at the present.

Iraq was a threat? Ah.. WMD's you're rite and you are also there to change the regime and bring peace.Thank god you are there, those people definetely needed a civil war and a chaos for a change.

And if we were in Iraq for oil, someone explain to me two things:  Why Iraq, and why are oil prices still high?  Iraq isn't even our top supplier of oil.  So why would we invade Iraq?  And if we really needed oil, we could always go to Alaska if we needed oil badly enough to invade Iraq.  And if we are in Iraq, why are prices still so high?  If we were really in it for oil, America's main objective would have been to secure the oil areas and not bother ridding the cities of the insugents.  The logic just doesn't fit.

Breaking news for you! Oil is already been shared between US and Brits.Oil is sitting right next to me in Iraq but I'm paying double what you pay in States.Why? because I'm buying oil from the united states, not from Iraq.You sure have Alaska but you are the one who is selling the Iraqi oil to me and Europe, not Iraqis.

And who is responsible for the so called "civil war"?  Lol, America?  And Israel is even on the poll?  HAHAHA!  Thats great.  Shows how well people actually listen to the news.  Its all Americas fault terrorists decide to blow themselves up and kill their fellow country.  I LOVE Turkish logic!

Which news source would you recommend? CNN? Fox? BBC? No thanks
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:50

Iraq was a threat? Ah.. WMD's you're rite and you are also there to change the regime and bring peace.Thank god you are there, those people definetely needed a civil war and a chaos for a change.

Shame we didn't cause the civil war, huh?

Breaking news for you! Oil is already been shared between US and Brits.Oil is sitting right next to me in Iraq but I'm paying double what you pay in States.Why? because I'm buying oil from the united states, not from Iraq.You sure have Alaska but you are the one who is selling the Iraqi oil to me and Europe, not Iraqis.

Riiight, thats why gas is $2.40 and even higher in Britain?  You must be a Turk, because you sure think like those in the poll!

Which news source would you recommend? CNN? Fox? BBC? No thanks

Fox is quite good.  "Fair and Balanced" is always a good motto.  You know, instead of the BBCs motto of "Let's attack Bush and America"!

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 20:12
Turks pay $2.40- $2.50 a litter for oil, How much you par for a gallon in the US? more than this?

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 20:31
It is around $2.50 a gallon after a small spike.  It is higher in certain areas, like where I live for some reason than it is in the city next to us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>