Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Combat Positions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Should women be allowed to serve in combat roles
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [71.43%]
1 [7.14%]
1 [7.14%]
2 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in Combat Positions
    Posted: 18-May-2006 at 23:22
You have combat time? Which military?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2006 at 23:55
Originally posted by Dark Lord

Females have no business in combat.

Dark Lord.

and where else do we have no buisness being?
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 10:01

As an infantryman with military experience, I would not feel comfortable going into battle knowing a female was covering my back. So take your liberal social theories, kid, and shove it.

Dark Lord.

i suppose that was directed at me too. Confused 
   (though i'll exclude the kid punk bit seeing as i'm an older dude)LOL

some of our views happen to differ from yours. why is that such a big deal? 

Scorpian
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 10:10
Military men (if he is indeed one) tend to take the view that serving in the military is a privalage not a right.
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 10:17

do you reckon Dawn will hit him with her handbagWink

i reckon she would tooLOL
Scorpian
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 13:42
    I can understand Dark Lords' concerns regarding not feeling comfortable with a woman covering his back in combat. It takes lots of physical strength to disarm an opponent in battle, and, honestly, if I were a man, I would probably have the same reservations that he does. It's that sort of thinking that women have been trying to change, but, as the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day". Hopefully, in the not too distant future, men and women will be able to join forces, and feel comfortable with each other in all situations, not just in combat. Women have not been around in the military long enough to make much of a difference yet, but, maybe some day that will change for the better.

I realize that women have limitations...physical strength is one, and killer instincts is the other. However, with the proper training and regiment, I've no doubt that women can become "killing machines". Women would kill to protect their children and family, so I am sure they would do the same if their life was on the line or that of her combat partner.

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2006 at 17:38
Originally posted by morticia

I can understand Dark Lords' concerns regarding not feeling comfortable with a woman covering his back in combat.

when it comes to the crunch some military male peeps just haven't got what it takes either but i don't hear anyone raising concerns about them. 

Scorpian
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2006 at 15:27

When you demoralize and sabotage the military with insane liberal social-engineering experiments, you weaken the armed forces and hinder its ability to do its job. Then it becomes YOUR problem - as national security is put under risk. The fact of the matter is, females do not have the physical strength or aggressiveness to function properly under stressful combat situations. And I don't need some punk kid giving me smartass comments.

Dark Lord.

Huh..... wow, so the military is your highland? sorry for offending your believes!
I was in the German army too, and i had many femal fellow comerades. These women were more moralized as an army of men. and for sure there were men like you, intolerance and primitive and they were half so good as the women in combat, and they got a big mouth too, like you.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2006 at 07:50
German Army, which unit?
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 17:50
Women in the military is a good idea. There are some few women who are certainly strong enough for infantry roles, though not many. For other roles, the difference is less important; lots of women are capable of serving in the air force or navy, for example. You don't need to be Ahnuld to operate a jet or work in an engine room. The most obvious benefit though is morale-related, it's kind of silly to think that you can send a bunch of sex-starved rednecks on a rampage to some foreign country and not have atrocities and rapes happening, which will alienate the locals. Integrated militaries tend to have a better track record in this regard than their counterparts.

I'd be very cautious with infantry roles, however. Even where they qualify in terms of strength and so on there are possibilities in certain situations where it might not work so well, sometimes a soldier must be sacrificed or cannot be safely assisted when in danger, if this individual were female it might cloud better judgement and cause recklessness.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2006 at 18:59

I dont agree with how he expressed his point but none the less he has a point....

and as far as it being Our problem...I to have spent time in the infantry .......so let me explain..you cannot ask others to carry your share of the burden as in the bundle of  communal weapons that make up an infantry squad or platoon....

lowering the bar on psychical standards is what it would take to make woman an integral part of an infantry unitthat is unrealistic.woman as a whole ( of course there are and always will be deviations) do not have the body strength and musculature to carry and maintain pace with the average male graduate from boot camp etcthis isnt a knock its the way it is and I must remind everyonein all things.equal opportunity does not mean  equal outcome.

if you feel that knocking down standards is the answer then it does become my problem as I will be carrying your equipment, waiting for you to catch up etc .and wearing ourselves out prematurely to make up for your lack of endurance and portage capability..as comapred to the rest of the squad etc.....

I agree wholeheartedly with morticias point regards killer instinct woman don't lack it.Ii am not one that thinks they are really any more  squeamish than the average male.....but in the end..you have to get there first......an old infantry saying; your are only as good as the slowest or weakest person in your unit..to try to equal things out to simply make a point would jeopardize lives....

Edited by Imperator - 13-Jun-2006 at 19:03
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 02:57
Maybe, a unit composed only by women would have some success, but mixed units are going to be a disaster. I served my time in the army too, and male soldiers make it real hard for the women officers.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2006 at 06:29
Originally posted by Maziar

In Germany women have fight to be allowed to serve in combat rule and they have won. They see this right as gender equality.
No offence but I've seen the german female football team. They should join the army. Ola und Helga are verry strong indeed
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 09:42
You don't need to be Ahnuld to operate a jet or work in an engine room.
I beg to differ sir/ma'am. The physical requirements for being a fighter pilot are much much more intense then being an infantryman. You should check out the USAF or USN or RAF requirements sometime. And in a engine room, the amount of physical work needed is great.

Its not a question of "women" as such. The military by its nature is such an institution, and combat roles in particular that only a small class of human are fit enough to partake in it, young men from 18~30. Take the Indo-Pakistan war in Siachin for example, the physical requirements for that place are exacting, frankly if you place a pot bellied 50 year old man, or a gangly and awkward 15 year old, they are both in trouble, whatever their gender. A young man of 20 on the other hand with the proper trainig will be able to do that much more easily. Ayoung women might be able to, but the vast majority will not.
Indeed their was a story in the newsopaper a few years ago, that Pervez Musharraf had not been permitted to visit a post in Siachin (its the highest post) because it was feared he would not survive the trip. Now that is a post that in his younger days he had commanded. Indeed he was reponsible for capturing it in the first place. As an older man he was not permitted to visit let alone serve there, and this despite being mpre physically fit then most men.

Also the young men are a bit crazy, and have no problem bayonet charging machine gun nests on their own, when the chips are down, unlike older sensible people, or women.LOL Stuff like that wins wars.\

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12