Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander did not care about Helenism nor Helenization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander did not care about Helenism nor Helenization
    Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 13:21
Because the Greeks considered the Athenians as autochthonous.  The Athenians, like the Argives, considered themselves of local origin.   They were aboriginal to the region, and hence, pre-Greek, while the Greeks considered themselves newcomers.  In the mythological constructs, Ion was the son of Xuthus (Greek) and Creusa (Pelasgian), daughter of Erechtheus, Pelasgian king of Athens.  But since the constructs also give a Pelasgian wife to Ion in the northern Peloponnese, the Ionians seemed to have been considered Pelasgian.  On the onslaught of the Dorian invasion of the Peloponnese which supplanted the Achaeans, the Achaeans pushed the Ionians out of the northern Peloponnese (which became known as Achaea, after the victors) into Athens where they stayed several generations until the great colonization of that part of the west coast of Anatolia, which bore their name, which took place at the time of the rule of Codrus, king of Athens. 
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 17:03

Sharrukin

I won't proceed to a thorough reply, I'll for you to come up with something about the rest of my post.

But I can't avoid the "Pelasgian" issue, so I think I can safely put up some remarks on that:

You are trying to interprete ancient politics without recognizing them as such.  It was common knowledge in ancient Greece that the Pelasgians were the indigenous population of the southern balkans, the people the Greek tribes found when they settled in.

It was also common knowledge (or common prejudice, misunderstanding, superstition or whatever) that some Greeks came from Pelasgic stock - like the Athenian.

Those two sentences seem contradictory to eachother, but they are not if you try for one moment to think in political terms instead of clinically historical ones.

The Greeks are the first who excelled in the mastery of politics (the Romans, well, surpassed them later), just think of that.

I won't feed you with the answers, you are a clever man and can find them for yourself. I'll just point out to the fact that what we call early Greek culture dates back in the southern Balkans, to the beginning of the third millenia BC. There is a strong case for continuity in that are, from prehistoric to historic times. The "invasion" theories make for a good fairy tale, something to put the kids to sleep at night, but they really don't hold much water when examined closely, even with the fragmented and rather controversial archeological evidence we have at hand.

In that context, I couldn't help noticing that you are still supporting the - unfounded, horribly outdated and in the end misleading - "Dorian invasion" theory.  You should be aware of a number of factors pointing out that such a thing never happened. The only "invasion" seems to be a shifting of population from northern and central Greece to the Peloponese - and that's it.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 03:59

You are trying to interprete ancient politics without recognizing them as such. It was common knowledge in ancient Greece that the Pelasgians were the indigenous population of the southern balkans, the people the Greek tribes found when they settled in.

It was also common knowledge (or common prejudice, misunderstanding, superstition or whatever) that some Greeks came from Pelasgic stock - like the Athenian.

Those two sentences seem contradictory to eachother, but they are not if you try for one moment to think in political terms instead of clinically historical ones.

The Greeks are the first who excelled in the mastery of politics (the Romans, well, surpassed them later), just think of that.

I dont find contradiction between the two statements. The indigenous Athenians were assimilated by the Greeks. But really, I am aware of how these origin traditions were used for political purposes, but it is apparent that some of these traditions were old and were already recognized throughout Greece in historic times. The oldest traditions therefore werent necessarily untrue.

I won't feed you with the answers, you are a clever man and can find them for yourself. I'll just point out to the fact that what we call early Greek culture dates back in the southern Balkans, to the beginning of the third millenia BC. There is a strong case for continuity in that are, from prehistoric to historic times. The "invasion" theories make for a good fairy tale, something to put the kids to sleep at night, but they really don't hold much water when examined closely, even with the fragmented and rather controversial archeological evidence we have at hand.

It is a misnomer to call the culture which began in the third millennium BC "early Greek culture". It was called the Helladic Culture. What we call "Mycenaean civilization" is in reality the last phase of the Helladic Culture. It was a continuation of the Neolithic cultures which began as early as the mid-seventh millennium BC. That being said, nothing suggests that the original bearers of this culture can be properly called Greeks, but rather that the Greeks shared this culture with indigenous groups of diverse origins.

Now, what "Continuity Theory" fails to account for are "trends" which were of decidedly outside origin. Take for instance, the horse. The horse was not native to Greece, but made its appearance already domesticated by the 19th century BC along with artefacts clearly of northern Balkan origin. Other motifs of culture made their appearance in Greece from both an earlier period and even in later periods, such as kurgans, which clearly originated from the Ukrainian steppes. The culture remained Helladic, but was modified. Now add to this, the destruction of towns and villages which coincide with the appearance of these new traditions, and we are left with a picture of warring invaders bearing their own culture, but in the end getting assimilated into the host culture. In reality, this doesnt contradict Greek perceptions of their own past. The ancient literature does describe the Greeks adopting "Pelasgian" institutions and customs.

In terms of linguistics, even those who subscribe to the native origin of the Greeks grudgingly admit that there is a body of Greek words which were not originally Greek, and that there was even place-names of non-Greek origin. The corpus of Greek words which were not originally Greek are not random either, but show a pattern which demonstrate that the Greeks adopted non-Greek terms for various metals, fauna, flora, parts of a dwelling, and dwelling building materials. This is consistent with the idea of an intrusive population adopting native language for things in a new land.

In that context, I couldn't help noticing that you are still supporting the - unfounded, horribly outdated and in the end misleading - "Dorian invasion" theory. You should be aware of a number of factors pointing out that such a thing never happened. The only "invasion" seems to be a shifting of population from northern and central Greece to the Peloponese - and that's it.

While it is true that the supposed "Dorian invasions" are not in evidence, archaeologically, such evidence is in fact, unnecessary. The received Greek tradition places the beginning of the invasion within the area of Mycenaean culture and so we would not really expect any noticeable change of culture. What evidence we have, is to the destruction of centers of Mycenaean culture, which can be attributed to internecine warfare amongst the Mycenaeans themselves. According to the Tradition, the Dorians were provoked to invade the Peloponnese by disenfranchised Mycenaean princes (the Heraclidae). Since the Dorians were culturally Mycenaean, no further evidence is needed except the destruction of Mycenaean centers in the Peloponnese. Perhaps my internal "invasion" is the same as your "shifting population".

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 05:27

I have completely lost the topic! Of course there were civilizations co-existing for a while before one dominated the other. This discussion reminds me of the question: "which was first, the egg or the chicken"?

Anyway, going back to Herodotus, his claim that Athenians were "Pelasgians" is politically motivated to support the Athenian claim that they're "autochthones" and therefore (since they "were there first") can claim land rights. Herodotus displays a blatant pro-Athenian bias, and a close reading of the Histories reveals that many his sources were pro-Athenian (as one would expect, given that he spent a good deal of time in Athens and in Thurii, a colony of Athens).

This notion was not, by any means, supported by other Greeks.

Herodotus puts anything typical of, or surviving from, the state of things in Greece before the coming of the Greeks as "Pelasgic" and get's it over with. (In this sense one could regard all Greece as formerly "Pelasgic", which is in essence truth!)

Other sources:

Pythia tells the Pelasgians to give the Athenians whatever they desire.  The request is for the Pelasgian territory.  The response is that, when a ship can travel from Athens to Pelasgian territory in a single day, with a north wind, we will give you our land.  The Pelagians are well assured (epistamenoi) that this is impossible, since Attica is far to the south of Lemnos.  

Homer, in Iliad, mentions as Pelasgians the inhabitants of Thrace, later in Odyssey he places them living in Crete amongst Dorians and Achaeans (but doesn't comment on their status). There're no Pelasgians mentioned in Lemnos but there're Minyans.

We have the epithet Pelasgic" to a district called Argos in southern Thessaly , and to the temple of Zeus at Dodona . But neither passage mentions actual Pelasgians; Hellenes and Achaeans are the inhabitants of Thessaly, and Dodona hosts Perraebians and Aenianes, all of the Greeks. Most likelly "pelasgic" here means simply "old".

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 06:17

I dont find contradiction between the two statements. The indigenous Athenians were assimilated by the Greeks. But really, I am aware of how these origin traditions were used for political purposes, but it is apparent that some of these traditions were old and were already recognized throughout Greece in historic times. The oldest traditions therefore werent necessarily untrue.

I think Yiannis gets to the point I was trying to make: The various Greeks, in dire need of justification for their claims on leadership, land and hegemony over the rest of the Greeks, invented various theories. Herodotus subscribes (although of Dorian-Carian origin himself, IIRC) to the pro-Athens club, and provides the theory Athenians have invented to justify we were here before you.
But you should notice the lack of any reference for a movement of the Achaean inside the Helladic area. We do have such references about the Dorians, Minyans, even Ionian.
Trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together might prove difficult, but the last reference of Yiannis,
We have the epithet Pelasgic" to a district called Argos in southern Thessaly , and to the temple of Zeus at Dodona . But neither passage mentions actual Pelasgians; Hellenes and Achaeans are the inhabitants of Thessaly, and Dodona hosts Perraebians and Aenianes, all of the Greeks. Most likelly "pelasgic" here means simply "old"

which seems to have quite a perceptive.
It is a misnomer to call the culture which began in the third millennium BC "early Greek culture". It was called the Helladic Culture. What we call "Mycenaean civilization" is in reality the last phase of the Helladic Culture. It was a continuation of the Neolithic cultures which began as early as the mid-seventh millennium BC. That being said, nothing suggests that the original bearers of this culture can be properly called Greeks, but rather that the Greeks shared this culture with indigenous groups of diverse origins.

Yes, lets examine this. The proper name is indeed Helladic. The Achaean are, I assume you agree with that, Greek, correct? If the Mycenaean culture is a continuation (maybe the apogee, sorts of) of those Neolithic cultures, how are the following Greeks not?
Now, what "Continuity Theory" fails to account for are "trends" which were of decidedly outside origin. Take for instance, the horse. The horse was not native to Greece, but made its appearance already domesticated by the 19th century BC along with artefacts clearly of northern Balkan origin. Other motifs of culture made their appearance in Greece from both an earlier period and even in later periods, such as kurgans, which clearly originated from the Ukrainian steppes.

Clearly? By no means! The evidence for the Kurgan cultures is a fragmented puzzle that has been interpreted that way to fit with the Invasion Theories. And since its formulation (early 20th century?) it has been disproved by a couple dozens great archeologists, who instead face the evidence and try to adjust their theories to it (the evidence), not vice versa.
And how is the introduction of alien cultural elements proving of warring invaders?  Cultural fusion? Trade? Close contacts? Small scale migrations? Large scale migrations? Even seasonal migration (we are talking about the Balkans, 800 miles from Danube to Thessaly!) could explain those trends and nothing as dramatic and exciting as the warring invaders has to be injected in our story.
The culture remained Helladic, but was modified. Now add to this, the destruction of towns and villages which coincide with the appearance of these new traditions, and we are left with a picture of warring invaders bearing their own culture, but in the end getting assimilated into the host culture. In reality, this doesnt contradict Greek perceptions of their own past. The ancient literature does describe the Greeks adopting "Pelasgian" institutions and customs.

See my above point about the warring invaders. I would really like you to point at me settlements at the Helladic area that got destructed during the era we are talking about. If you can give me say 10 examples in a 100 year period, Ill gladly subscribe to that warring invaders theory.
I am afraid though you wont find that many. Maybe one, or two. Maybe even three. Spread out in time in a 300year period. That is not proof of an invasion, by any stretch of imagination.
In terms of linguistics, even those who subscribe to the native origin of the Greeks grudgingly admit that there is a body of Greek words which were not originally Greek, and that there was even place-names of non-Greek origin. The corpus of Greek words which were not originally Greek are not random either, but show a pattern which demonstrate that the Greeks adopted non-Greek terms for various metals, fauna, flora, parts of a dwelling, and dwelling building materials. This is consistent with the idea of an intrusive population adopting native language for things in a new land.

The linguistic evidence is definitely not that conclusive, and besides we dont have written evidence of any language spoken in the Helladic area prior to the 2nd millennia (P.S. the Minoan notwithstanding we havent deciphered that yet). The Achaean invaders shouldve long ago settled in Greece proper, by that time. So, how can we watch the evolution of the Greek tongue in that way? The Greek texts from the Mycenaean period are quite rare anyway.
And if you are talking about the shift between the Mycenean and the Geometric era I fear this is way off mark.
And if you think about it, said evidence could be interpreted to mean exactly the opposite: A native population adopting new terminology for things introduced by outside. 
While it is true that the supposed "Dorian invasions" are not in evidence, archaeologically, such evidence is in fact, unnecessary. The received Greek tradition places the beginning of the invasion within the area of Mycenaean culture and so we would not really expect any noticeable change of culture. What evidence we have, is to the destruction of centers of Mycenaean culture, which can be attributed to internecine warfare amongst the Mycenaeans themselves. According to the Tradition, the Dorians were provoked to invade the Peloponnese by disenfranchised Mycenaean princes (the Heraclidae). Since the Dorians were culturally Mycenaean, no further evidence is needed except the destruction of Mycenaean centers in the Peloponnese. Perhaps my internal "invasion" is the same as your "shifting population".

Interesting the use of the word invasion, I mean. You seem to be quite fond of it. For any particular reason?
But, yes, you are right. This seems to be the consensus of the latest data and it surprisingly fits with the theories of the ancient Greeks about what happened with the invasion. An interesting piece of theory talks about the Dorians as the mountainous Greeks.
Generally, I tend to accept the indigenous nature of most Europeans. The invasions and Indoeuropean theories are nice fairy tales, but most archaeological evidence from the Italian and Iberian peninsula and the Balkans, build an extremely coherent and strong case for European cultural continuity, from early Neolithic right into the historical times.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 00:00

Anyway, going back to Herodotus, his claim that Athenians were "Pelasgians" is politically motivated to support the Athenian claim that they're "autochthones" and therefore (since they "were there first") can claim land rights. Herodotus displays a blatant pro-Athenian bias, and a close reading of the Histories reveals that many his sources were pro-Athenian (as one would expect, given that he spent a good deal of time in Athens and in Thurii, a colony of Athens).

This notion was not, by any means, supported by other Greeks.

Pythia tells the Pelasgians to give the Athenians whatever they desire.  The request is for the Pelasgian territory.  The response is that, when a ship can travel from Athens to Pelasgian territory in a single day, with a north wind, we will give you our land.  The Pelagians are well assured (epistamenoi) that this is impossible, since Attica is far to the south of Lemnos.

What you fail to mention is that Herodotus alludes to an even more older author, Hecateus, who mentions a Pelasgian presence in Attica until some were expelled to settle Lemnos.  We already know from Homer's Illiad that the most ancient kings of Athens were already referred to as "earth-born".   The inference is obvious.  If Herodotus was the first to use the term "Pelasgian" for the Athenians, he uses it as a connotation for the more ancient Athenian claim to nativeness.  Now, if Homer is using somewhat similar language for a specific political purpose, please specify it. 

Yes, one can say that Herodotus was pro-Athenian, especially since he declared that Athens was the most responsible for the independence of the Greeks against Persian tyranny, but so what?  He still was utilizing more ancient Athenian traditions of ancientness.  But since you mention it, he was obviously pro-Macedonian royal house as well, but I'm not going to further comment on his evidence, since I don't think it relevant.

Homer, in Iliad, mentions as Pelasgians the inhabitants of Thrace,

Yes, on the southern coast of Thrace, where Herodotus also locates Pelasgian enclaves.

later in Odyssey he places them living in Crete amongst Dorians and Achaeans (but doesn't comment on their status).

Hesiod mentions them there as well.

There're no Pelasgians mentioned in Lemnos but there're Minyans.

The reason for no Pelasgians in Lemnos is that they arrived there from Athens at a later date.  Read Herodotus again and you will get the sense that their arrival there was more recent in date.

We have the epithet Pelasgic" to a district called Argos in southern Thessaly , and to the temple of Zeus at Dodona . But neither passage mentions actual Pelasgians; Hellenes and Achaeans are the inhabitants of Thessaly, and Dodona hosts Perraebians and Aenianes, all of the Greeks. Most likelly "pelasgic" here means simply "old".

Strange.  Hesiod says that when Apollo was living in Magnesia, Hermes stole his cattle and:

"He drove them through the country of the Pelasgi, and Achaea in the land of Phthia, and through Locris, and Boeotia and Megegaris, and thence into Peloponnesus......"

In this passage "Pelasgians" are specifically mentioned between Magnesia and Phthia.

In another passage, Hesiod says:

"He went to Dodona and the oak-grove, the dwelling place of the Pelasgi". 

Again, another mention of this people.  So, no, the sense is obviously not meant be mean "old" but rather that the population of these places were pre-Greek.  Where are you getting your sources of information?

I will deal with your responses, Romano, within 24 hours. 

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 02:08

Originally posted by Sharrukin

I will deal with your responses, Romano, within 24 hours. 

Wow, thanks for "dealing" with us one at a time Sharrukin. Now can you please get down from your horse?

Anyway, I'm not going to go into the logic of trying to rebufe line by line your views. I'll simply make some comments.

You're fast to discredit Hesiod or Herodotus when they claim Macedonians were Greeks but you're even faster to accept them when they say that the Athenians were Pelasgians.

The epithet "Pelasgic" is mentioned bu Ho,er for a spesific area in Thesally called "Argos", not the whole region. I'm aware that there are many settlements in Thesally that can be classified under the blanket "Pelasgic" (e.g. Larissa).

My sources? The internet, e.g.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelasgians

http://38.1911encyclopedia.org/P/PE/PELASGIANS.htm

and others...

PELASGIANS, a name applied by Greek writers to a prehistoric people whose traces were believed to exist in Greek lands. If the statements of ancient authorities are marshalled in order of their date it will be seen that certain beliefs cannot be traced back beyond the age of this or that author. Though this does not prove that the beliefs themselves were not held earlier, it suggests caution in assuming that they were.

In conclusion, I say that Pelasgians were not a tribe of people but a blanket-term that Greeks used to describe the whole of the pre-Hellenic population (assuming that our dear Pelasgians were pre-Greek). Even the Greeks of classical era did not know who or what they were.

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 01:07

Wow, thanks for "dealing" with us one at a time Sharrukin. Now can you please get down from your horse?

Yiannis, if I sound a bit too arrogant, I apologize, okay.

Anyway, I'm not going to go into the logic of trying to rebufe line by line your views. I'll simply make some comments.

You're fast to discredit Hesiod or Herodotus when they claim Macedonians were Greeks but you're even faster to accept them when they say that the Athenians were Pelasgians.

Hesiod's perception was based on his observation of the Macedonians of his time.  He considered them kindred enough to Greeks to warrant putting them on a "mythological construct" making them "cousins" to the Greeks.  He did not perceive them as fitting any of the four categories of Greeks he mentions as children or grandchildren of Hellen.

Herodotus, almost three hundred years later, on the other hand, saw them as pre-Dorians and as "cousin" to Dorians.   Since he does not say that these "Makednons" were Greek but only the Dorians, there is left enough of a doubt even among his readers as to the national origin of the royal house itself, which he himself took pains to "demonstrate" that they were Greek.  He did after all say that the Greeks were a branch of the Pelasgians.  There is nothing then, not suggest that these "Makednons" were Pelasgians.  

His contemporary, Hellanicus, viewed them as Aeolian and therefore Greek.   Perhaps Hellanicus saw the Hellenization of the Macedonians in full swing.  Which witness should we believe; as the pre-Dorians of the Dorian Herodotus, or as the Aeolians of the Aeolian Hellanicus?  Perhaps the answer lies in the time between Hesiod and Herodotus/Hellanicus; that the Macedonians were becoming Greek, and that the Greeks of the fifth century BC held different views of the Macedonians.  Three hundred years is enough time to transform a people.  It is only sufficient for me to say that until about 550 BC, Greek culture did not predominate in Macedonia, despite Greek colonies established there since about 750 BC when the Macedonians were first observed. 

Me "discrediting" Hesiod or Herodotus?  You hurt me Yiannis.

In conclusion, I say that Pelasgians were not a tribe of people but a blanket-term that Greeks used to describe the whole of the pre-Hellenic population (assuming that our dear Pelasgians were pre-Greek). Even the Greeks of classical era did not know who or what they were.

I never said that the Pelasgians of one place were related to the Pelasgians of another place.  As far as I'm concerned, "Pelasgians" is a blanket term for peoples seen by the Greeks as either pre-Greeks or their descendants inhabiting the same regions as the Greeks.

Now I have to post-pone my response to Romano, since I'm posting this kind of late today, my time.  I'll try again tomorrow. 

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2004 at 02:28

Originally posted by Sharrukin

Yiannis, if I sound a bit too arrogant, I apologize, okay.

No offence taken, I know it's not your style to be arrogant

But keep in mind that there's no such thing as "a bit too arrogant",you're either "a bit" or "too"

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2004 at 09:15

But keep in mind that there's no such thing as "a bit too arrogant",you're either "a bit" or "too"

I concede the point Yiannis Grammatis

By the way, is anyone else having difficulty accessing these threads?  I've been trying for the longest to access these forums today, but they didn't want to build when I clicked on the links.  I was finally able to get this far only after 10:00 pm, my time!!!

I think Yiannis gets to the point I was trying to make: The various Greeks, in dire need of justification for their claims on leadership, land and hegemony over the rest of the Greeks, invented various theories. Herodotus subscribes (although of Dorian-Carian origin himself, IIRC) to the pro-Athens club, and provides the theory Athenians have invented to justify we were here before you.

They were traditions rather than theories.  Irregardless of Herodotus's pro-Athenian leanings, he does allude to traditions which were known to the older Hecateus and even from the time of Homer. 

But you should notice the lack of any reference for a movement of the Achaean inside the Helladic area. We do have such references about the Dorians, Minyans, even Ionian.

But in fact we do have references of Achaean migration.  According to the received traditions, descendants (or sons) of Achaeus migrated from Achaean Phthia in Thessaly to Argolis where they intermarried with the daughters of king Danaus.  They gained such an influence that the Argives became known as Achaeans.  The dynasty remained Danaean but the population was becoming Hellenized. 

Trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together might prove difficult, but the last reference of Yiannis,

Quote:
We have the epithet Pelasgic" to a district called Argos in southern Thessaly , and to the temple of Zeus at Dodona . But neither passage mentions actual Pelasgians; Hellenes and Achaeans are the inhabitants of Thessaly, and Dodona hosts Perraebians and Aenianes, all of the Greeks. Most likelly "pelasgic" here means simply "old"

which seems to have quite a perceptive.

Rather it was his "source" which was "perceptive", but since I looked at the passages personally, I found the name "Pelasgi" was indeed mentioned in them, specifically.  So, no, I cannot agree with his source.

Yes, lets examine this. The proper name is indeed Helladic. The Achaean are, I assume you agree with that, Greek, correct? If the Mycenaean culture is a continuation (maybe the apogee, sorts of) of those Neolithic cultures, how are the following Greeks not?

Because the Greeks can only be considered one of many groups which constituted the Helladic culture.  Their traditions are quite persistent that they were not the only ones in Greece, and thus we have a multiplicity of names of non-Greek tribes distributed all over Greece in the mythological period.  By sometime in the Late Helladic period they began to predominate.  The first evidence of the Greek language, in Crete, dates from about 1450 BC and on the mainland from about 1300 BC, in diverse places.  Thus by perhaps 1500 BC the Greeks began to predominate, mostly through peaceful infiltration into areas formely not under their rule.  The traditions mostly begin their migrations either in Thessaly or from an adjacent region in northern Greece. 

Clearly? By no means! The evidence for the Kurgan cultures is a fragmented puzzle that has been interpreted that way to fit with the Invasion Theories. And since its formulation (early 20th century?) it has been disproved by a couple dozens great archeologists, who instead face the evidence and try to adjust their theories to it (the evidence), not vice versa.

You know, after trying to find specific material to add flesh to this "Continuity Theory" I still find the specifics elusive.  I've read time and time again, all these declarative statements about the "Kurgan invasions" being a "myth", "outdated", "disproved", etc. and I'm not finding anything concrete to disprove the "invasionist" position.  They are purely declarative statements.  Now, on the other hand, Greece does show a continuity from the Neolithic period.  As a matter of fact there are other regions where IE languages penetrated which do show continuity. These facts in no way disprove "invasionist" theory.  Greece happened to have a strong culture which was adopted by the invaders.  The same cannot be said of the more northern Balkans. 

And how is the introduction of alien cultural elements proving of warring invaders?  Cultural fusion? Trade? Close contacts? Small scale migrations? Large scale migrations? Even seasonal migration (we are talking about the Balkans, 800 miles from Danube to Thessaly!) could explain those trends and nothing as dramatic and exciting as the warring invaders has to be injected in our story.

Gimbutas's studies (much despised by Continuity theorists) do show displacement of populations coincidental with the introduction of cultural elements from the steppe which appreciably altered the cultures of the region within the space of two millennia.  Old European cultures were either hybridized, displaced, or submerged, and new names are given by the archaeologists to the new cultures to reflect these changes.  The proliferation of "kurgans" in the Balkans cannot simply be explained in terms of cultural fusion or trade.  This burial custom has behind it both religious and social undertones, facits of culture which would have been resisted by local populations.

And let's face it, in historic times we do find large-scale invasions which change the linguistic composition of large areas without appreciably altering the local culture.  How is it that Illyrians, Paeonians, and Thracians were absorbed by the Slavs?  Byzantine chronicles even mention Slavic penetration and settlement into the Peloponnese itself, although these Slavs were eventually absorbed.   How is it that central Asia became Turkified?   I think that Continuity Theory has taken the opposite extreme and deny evidence which can explain many things. 

See my above point about the warring invaders. I would really like you to point at me settlements at the Helladic area that got destructed during the era we are talking about. If you can give me say 10 examples in a 100 year period, Ill gladly subscribe to that warring invaders theory.
I am afraid though you wont find that many. Maybe one, or two. Maybe even three. Spread out in time in a 300year period. That is not proof of an invasion, by any stretch of imagination.

In about 1200 BC in the Peloponnese:  Pylos, Mycenae, Tiryns, Midea, Meneleion, Korakou (in Corinthia).  Other centers like Zygouries, Prosymna, Berbati, and Nemea were abandoned all about the same time. 

The linguistic evidence is definitely not that conclusive, and besides we dont have written evidence of any language spoken in the Helladic area prior to the 2nd millennia (P.S. the Minoan notwithstanding we havent deciphered that yet). The Achaean invaders shouldve long ago settled in Greece proper, by that time. So, how can we watch the evolution of the Greek tongue in that way? The Greek texts from the Mycenaean period are quite rare anyway.

You seemed to have ignored the evidence of the place-names, to establish languages in Greece other than Greek.  We can watch the evolution of the Greek itself in two ways.  We can find the root words within Greek itself to establish whether a certain word was originally Greek, and we can compare Greek with other IE languages to find points of commonality.  As you may know, the languages which are the most similar to Greek are the Indo-Aryan languages.   In terms of geography, their relationship cannot be explained from contact in the Middle East, since we know that the earliest languages of these regions were Hattian, Hurrian, and Semitic.  On the other hand we do have evidence of a continuum of Iranic languages on the Eurasian steppe into the Balkans, and so by extension we have a northern Eurasian continuum of IE languages stretching into Iran and India.  Add to this, Phrygian and Armenian whose bearers were said to have originated in the Balkans, and which also show affinities with Greek and we can paint a picture of a time, when bearers of what would become Greek were part of an extended community of speakers of similar languages somewhere in eastern Balkans or the Pontic steppe. 

And if you think about it, said evidence could be interpreted to mean exactly the opposite: A native population adopting new terminology for things introduced by outside. 

Anthropologists note that settled populations are much more conservative in maintaining their language than mobile populations.  In other words, it is unlikely that the settled population would adopt words from newcomers if the words already exist in their own language.  Mobile populations on the other hand will adopt words from the native language.  Take the case of ancient Sumerian.  The Akkadian population adopted Sumerian terminology and not visa versa. 

Generally, I tend to accept the indigenous nature of most Europeans. The invasions and Indoeuropean theories are nice fairy tales, but most archaeological evidence from the Italian and Iberian peninsula and the Balkans, build an extremely coherent and strong case for European cultural continuity, from early Neolithic right into the historical times.

Yes, most European culture remained quite concervative to change, but let's not forget that linguistically, Europe did see much change.  You cannot deny that there were conquests and invasions, such as that of the Romans which altered the linguistic map of part of the Balkans (i.e. Romania) and western Europe (i.e. Portugal, Spain, and France).  You cannot deny large-scale Celtic, Germanic and Slavic invasions which, although didn't make that much of a cultural impact, nevertheless made a linguistic one (the Slavs more so than the Germanics). 

Yes, in terms of genetics, studies do show that 80% of European genes originated in Paleolithic populations.  But this in itself does not exclude "invasionist" theories.  Local genetics pretty much absorb the invaders genotypically. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 18:30

IN BORZA'S WORDS  TAKEN FROM YOUR POST

First, the matter of the Hellenic origins of the Macedonians: Nicholas Hammond's general

conclusion (though not the details of his arguments)8 that the origin of the Macedonians lies in the pool of

proto-Greek speakers who migrated out of the Pindus mountains during the Iron Age, is acceptable. As for

the Macedonian royal house, the Argead dynasty was probably indigenous, the story of their Temenid

Greek origin being part of the prohellenic propaganda of King Alexander

So even your source BORZA accepts the GREEK origins of the Macedonians.But Borza has a logistical problem. If he accpts the the conclusion that MACEDONIANS were among the 1st GREEK TRIBES ( PROTO ) then their was no need for them to Hellenize themselves.Did the first German tribes later become German? What Borza could be alluding to is that while the M acedonians though  Greek in origin they were different in some respects from the Greeks of the South.

The article's  focus is  that the their was no policy of Hellenization of conquered peoples as a prime objective of the military campaign not about the  origin of the Macedonians.You obviously missinterpitted the content.

The vast majority of Scholar' hold the view that the Macedonians were a Doric Greek tribe living in the older Homeric Greek model then the more urbane city state.Thus this would make the Macedonians more traditionally Greek in the sense they held onto older Greek insitiution like the Homeric Monarchy as oppossed to the Democratic City state..

Borza also beleives Alexander was a pychopath.Poor example. 

Edited by xxxx
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 19:53
[Q

Hesiod's perception was based on his observation of the Macedonians of his time.  He considered them kindred enough to Greeks to warrant putting them on a "mythological construct" making them "cousins" to the Greeks.  He did not perceive them as fitting any of the four categories of Greeks he mentions as children or grandchildren of Hellen.

.Hesoid stated the Macedonians were related to the Thessalians as brothers.Thus are you saying Thessalians were not Greek?

From the daughter of Deucalion sprang Magnes and Macedon, ancestors of the Magnesians and Macedonians, who are thus

Since Deucalion was the Father of all Greeks and the Macedonians were his offspring then it is implied quite coherantly that Macedonians like Thessalians(Magnes) were related to the Hellenes thus shaing a common origin.So the Greeks accepted Hesoid's observation that they had a common origin with the Macedonians in 720 BC well before Phillip's time.

In addition please keep in mind that Greeks did not always use the word Hellas to describe themselves .In the Illiad only Achilles and his myridoms came from a place called Hellas.Greeks used the terms Acheans,Argeives and Danaans to describe their kin not Hellenes.The term Hellas to describe the Greek peoples was gradually applied well after the Trojan war.

ince he does not say that these "Makednons" were Greek but only the Dorians,

Read Herodotus more carefully he states that the Makedon were the original Hellenes who

settled about Pindos under the name Makednon."
(Herodotos 1.56)

He clearly associates the Macedonians among the earliest of Greeks.He also states the Dorians emerged from the Makedon's.The name Makedon proceeds the Dorian name.Only when some of the original Greek tribes entered the Peloponese was the name Dorian used.

HEROD -from there again it migrated to Dryopia, and at last came from Dryopia into the Peloponnese, where it took the name of Dorian."

From the Peloponnese, the following- the Lacedaemonians with six, teen ships; the Corinthians with the same number as at Artemisium; the Sicyonians with fifteen; the Epidaurians with ten; the Troezenians with five; and the Hermionians with three. These were Dorians and Macedonians all of them (except those from Hermione), and had emigrated last from Erineus, Pindus, and Dryopis. The Hermionians were Dryopians, of the race which Hercules and the Malians drove out of the land now called Doris. Such were the Peloponnesian nations. 

Herodotus  states that Peloponisians were heavily composed of MACEDONIAN stock from Pindus

So if MACEDONIANS were not Greek neither were the Peloponisians.Herodotus was read in Macedonia and the rest of Greece and his conclusions were accepted.If the Macedonians were not  Greek and the Peloponisians were accepted as deriving largely from Macedonian stock then then the Peloponesians would not have been considered Greek.Could you imagine a nation as proudly Greek as the Spartan one being referred to as non Greek? 

Hesoid and Herodotus wrote well before Phillip's time when Macedonia was not a major power so they had no reason to lie to claim ATGs conquests

He did after all say that the Greeks were a branch of the Pelasgians.  There is nothing then, not suggest that these "Makednons" were Pelasgians.  

Twisting Herodotus here.Herodotus stated that Hellens referred to themselves with different names in areas they settled.Makedon in Pindus- Dorians in the Peloponese ect .Thus since they were associated with original Greek (Makedons-after they settled in Pindus) they were once part of the Pelasgian peoples before they seperated.

So not only were the Macedonians Greek but they were directly linked to the original tribe of Greeks while the Athenians were not.Thus according to Herodotus Macedonians were more Greek then even the Atheniansin ORIGIN .The Athenians were Hellenized NOT the MACEDONIANs who were associated with the earliest HELLENES.

Edited by xxxx
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 03:14

xx xx

Thanks for joining in - welcome to AE. 

You have some good information.  In the future - please remember that posting Bold Print, Large Type and/or ALL CAP'S is the equivalent of shouting. 

It could be construed as rude and tends to detract from the point that you are making rather than emphasize it. 

Thanks

Edited by vagabond
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 14:51
Originally posted by vagabond

xx xx

Thanks for joining in - welcome to AE. 

Thank your reception

You have some good information.  In the future - please remember that posting Bold Print, Large Type and/or ALL CAP'S is the equivalent of shouting. 

Sorry I was just trying to differentiate the quote from my remarks.I appreciate your comments about the info I presented.

It could be construed as rude and tends to detract from the point that you are making rather than emphasize it. 

Point well taken

Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 16:31
[

Herodotus displays a blatant pro-Athenian bias, and a close reading of the Histories reveals that many his sources were pro-Athenian

Yannis it could also be argued that Herodotus was pro Dorian since he himself was Dorian from a Dorian colony in Asia Minor.

He also retricts Hellenic origins to Makedons and Dorians while he states Athenians later became abosorbed into the Hellenic nations.

It should also be noted that many historians stated that the Proto Greek speaking tribes originated in Northern Greece.Historian Nicholas Hammond in the Book The Greeks makes the following point.Mt Olympus as a focal point of the Greek religion since early Greek tribes first settled in that region where Olympus was visable.Why would a City in Ellias in the Peloponese be called Olympia when it is hundreds of miles from Mt Olympus? The 1st Tombs that resemble Greek Tombs at Mycenae First appear in Epirus.The Greeks who moved from their original homeland in the Pindus region south ward became the City State Greeeks.Those who remained the north Macedonia,Epirus Thessally ect became some what isolated from their Southern Kin.

When Herodotus mentions that Peloponisians at least the Upper Classes where from Macedonian stock he was explaining their earlier origin before moving to the Peloponese.

I do not beleive that Herod was pro Athenian or pro Dorian but simply releying the known accepted knowlege of the times.

Edited by xxxx
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 02:48

Let us make a rundown on some ancient writers who are presenting the Macedonian case. We dont need to mention Herodotus here, he was 100% sure Macedonians were Doric Greeks and he says so in half a dozen points of his History.
:

Where does he say that they were Doric Greeks? What he says is the Macedonians were pre-Dorians and related to Dorians, but he never says that they were Greeks.

Lets see about others:

"This is a sworn treaty made between us, Hannibal.. and Xenophanes the Athenian... in the presence of all the gods who possess Macedonia and the rest of Greece". The Histories of Polybius, VII, 9, 4 (Loeb, W. R. Paton)

"Your ancestors invaded Macedonia and the rest of Greece and did us great harm, though we had done them no prior injury;... I have been appointed hegemon of the Greeks... "Arrian, Anabasis of Alexander II, 14, 4

Lets suppose that these are translated correctly here (an alternative to "rest of" allen, in both passages is, "elsewhere"), then we can conclude two things:

1. In both quotes, it is the Macedonian king who claims that Macedonia was part of Greece.

2. What neither quote, says, is that the Greeks recognized Macedonia as part of Greece.

"Aetolians, Acarnanians, Macedonians, men of the same language" T. Livius I, 29, 15

This is referring to a conference among northwestern Greeks, Macedonians, and Romans as to the course the Aetolian League toward the Macedonians and the Romans, and which took place in 200 BC. So, by 200 BC the Macedonians were speaking the same language as the Aetolians and Acarnanians, the dialect of Northwestern Greek!!! Since we already have evidence of a dialect of Northwestern Greek being spoken at Pella, by at least the 4th century BC, we can assume that this dialect became the predominant language.

Now lets take the first three quotes and put them in perspective. They all date events from the time of Alexander and after. Thessaly, in the time of Philip of Macedon became part of the Kingdom of Macedonia, and thus gave the Macedonian rulers a more solid claim as being part of Greece. Nowhere prior to the rule of Alexander can you find a quote which regarded Macedonia as part of Greece.

"The country by the sea which is now called Macedonia... Alexander, the father of Perdiccas, and his forefathers, who were originally Temenidae from Argos" Thucydides 99,3 (Loeb, C F Smith)

How does this passage prove that Macedonians were Greeks? All it merely echoes is the Macedonian claim that the royal house was of Greek origin. Nothing more, nothing less.

There are many more, but I dont have all day to search passages from ancient writers about Macedonian. Also, the Athenian comedy writers used to make great fun of the other Greek dialects (there was very little understanding between Greeks who spoke a different dialect) and some time in the late 5th century Stratis wrote a comedy titled "Pausanias or Macedonians?". In various parts of this comedy a Macedonian explains how various words of the attic dialect are called in the Macedonian dialect. To an ancient Greek speaker, this is really hilarious the Macedonian pronunciation of the "refined" attic words, sound like a hillbilly speaking the Queens English

The one reference I found regarding Strattis and his "Pausanias or Macedonians?" is taken from a site trying to prove the Hellenism of the Macedonians. The problem is that we are dependent on the interpretation of the text by the sites author. There is no way to determine if the Macedonian was speaking a dialect of Greek, or a foreign language and trying to speak in broken Attic.. I can easily say, so a Macedonian is clumsy with the Attic dialect. A Russian can be clumsy with English. Theres nothing conclusive here.

Quote:

1. So, then, what source are you using to show that the Greeks considered Macedonia a part of Greece, earlier than the Successors?

I think Herodotus wrote his history a century before Alexander. And Thucydides a few decades after Herodot. Hellanicus is contemporary to Herodotus. All agreed that Macedonian are Greeks.

Of the three, only Hellanicus makes that claim clear, using a "mythological construct".

I assume they were presenting mainstream opinions, not some marginal ones.

Herodotus speaks of the unanimous conviction of the Olympic athletes of the barbarianess of the Macedonian prince. Since we are talking about a class of people who would have reflected the perception of their fellow citizens, the "mainstream" opinion at the beginning of the 5th century BC was that they were barbarians. Herodotus felt he had to "demonstrate" that the Macedonian prince was Greek, since he knew that his readers were skeptical. If the "mainstream" opinion of Herodotuss time favored the Hellenism of the Macedonian royal house, why did he have to "demonstrate" anything?

Sort of an ultimate criteria for someone being Greek, was to be accepted in the Olympics. Macedonian took part in the Olympics from the early 5th century. Now would you please reassess your rather presumptuous assumption about the Successors era?

A Macedonian prince being accepted as a Greek in the Olympics hardly qualifies as proof that Macedonia was considered part of Greece at that time.

Quote:

2. You did say that there were other peoples in Macedonia. The implication is that other languages were spoken there. The only written evidence of language in Macedonia was Greek. So what!!! The only evidence of written language in Thrace and Bactria was Greek. Yet, we know that the Thracians were non-Greeks and so were the Bactrians.

The Thracians got hellenized over time, as did Karians and Lycians and the Lydians well before them. Bactrians probably were not Jokes aside, it is not an implication that other languages were spoken there if the Greek language was the prevalent and the only one used for official affairs, the other languages would vanish quickly.

Bad examples. The Thracians as well as the Carians, Lycians, and Lydians maintained their ethnic and linguistic identity well into the Roman period and even into the Byzantine period. That being said, Strabo was quite clear when he said the population of Macedonia was predominantly Thracian. He even went as far as to consider the Argaedae themselves as Thracian!!!

Really, this is a moot point. You seem to believe that 5.500 inscriptions in Greek and none in any other written language, is not proof enough? What is, then? You consider the absence of non-Greek inscriptions proof that a non-Greek language was spoken in Macedonia before the 5th century? That is really a new way to look into history kind of reminds me Schroedingers cat Quantum Archeology we could call it.

Antics aside, I dont think its a moot point at all. Was there a Greek population in Macedonia? Definitely!!! Thucydides writes of "Greeks resident there", and we know of Greek colonies established there which didnt pass into Macedonian rule until the time of Philip. Now, really, if Thucydides distinguishes "Greeks" from other populations in Macedonia, doesnt that speak of other ethno-linguistic groups? Both Strabo and Thucydides wrote of a Paeonian domination of Macedonia as well as mentioning the names of specific tribes in Macedonia. Whether you wish to recognize it or not, the evidence from ancient authors is there to show that there was non-Greek populations in Macedonia. What is moot is you trying to show that the absence of non-Greek inscriptions is enough to show that non-Greek languages were not spoken.

Quote:

2a. However, the reality is that the Greeks did indeed preserve words in what they called "Macedonian" in ancient texts. The most modern analysis of the extant corpus of these Macedonian words (the study by Crossland) only gives a Greek etymology just a little more than one-third of these. Of those 58 Greek words, all have been found to be in the Attic dialect!!! Since we know that the Attic dialect was not native to Macedonia, these "Macedonian" words were borrowings. The others could either have other IE roots, or were from other IE languages.

You put your trust on linguistics, which is quite good for my case. First of all, you have to make up your mind. Attic or Northwest Greek? Because your next sentence is

Quote:

3. The evidence for a Greek dialect in Macedonia was Northwest Greek, not Aeolic.

I never said that the corpus of Macedonian words having a strong Attic influence was the same as the Northwest Greek dialect in evidence in late 4th century Pella. It may well be, that the Macedonian with strong Attic influence was superceded by the Northwest Greek dialect, since by 200 BC, "Acarnanians, Aetolians, Macedonians" were "of the same speech".

I said "rich in Aeolic roots" and I think that is correct. It makes sense because the Thessalians spoke an Aeolian dialect and they shared a long border with Macedonia since the wake of time. Likewise, many Thessalian dialects had heavy Doric loans (which can be explained by a mutual fusion).

What is logical is different than what is observed. While there was a lot of inscriptions, they were brief enough to rob the linguists of enough data to determine which dialect they were written in. Therefore all speculation as to the dialect of Greek spoken in Macedonia was purely deductive, either based on Herodotus or Hellanicus. Enter the Pella inscription. It dates from the 4th century BC and showed enough data to demonstrate that the dialect was related to Northwest Greek. When this dialect arrived there, is open to question.  Since we know that Epeirote was a Northwest Greek dialect, we have at least a direction from where it might have come from.  In later history we know of political ties between Epirus and Macedonia, of which Olympias, herself was a representative.

But googling to find something more about the language (I was thinking that maybe my data was outdated) I came up with some interesting stuff. The Macedonian elite have used the Attic language in the 4th century BC and perhaps even as early as the late 5th century BC. It was a sign of them showing more "civilized" than the lower classes of the (almost feudal, in some aspects) Macedonian social system. After all, the Attic dialect, which later evolved in the Koene, the "common" Greek language that was the lingua franka in the Mediterranean for several centuries, was the dominant dialect for the "civilized" Greeks everywhere. The lower classes kept on talking in their dialect, which was definitely not Attic.

We do know according to Thucydides and other sources that there were both political and cultural ties between the Macedonians and the Athenians in the 5th century BC. It would have been only natural for Attic words to be adopted into "Macedonian".

The famous "Makedonisti" passage from Plutarch, for instance (absent from Arrian, though, who was closer to the events and had most of the original sources on Alexanders campaign at his disposal) doesnt indicate a different language (as some wish to believe) but more a different dialect (see also use of the terms Attikisti, Doristi, Aeolisti etc. etc.). Alexander and his officers but also his etairoi (all of "noble breed") spoke in the attic dialect, while the bulk of the Macedonian army spoke the rough, unsophisticated Macedonian dialect.

It is too vague to indicate either way if Makedonisti used in Plutarch was a dialect or another language. Dont forget there is also Phoinikisti, "in Phoenician". In the exhaustive Liddell/Scott Greek-English Lexicon, Makedonisti is simply defined as "in Macedonian" without specifically defining it either as dialect or a language.

One could also argue that the names of the Macedonian would preserve some of their "barbaric" origin, if they were as you suggest hellenized (in the early 5th century, you seem to imply). This is not the case, as of the multitude of Macedonian names we are aware of, only one has been recognized to have an Illyrian root and the rest have Greek roots. That should be, linguistically, ample evidence.

Need I point out that the majority of the names only date from 4th century BC and after? What names we have before that are mostly the names of the kings. Lets keep things in perspective, shall we.

R.A. Crossland might be the only (more correctly: one of the very few) non-Slavic Linguist claiming that Macedonian is not definitely Greek. But there is a multitude of others who do not doubt for a minute that Macedonian spoke a Greek dialect? Here are some: Fr. Sturz , August Flick, O. Hoffmann, Otto Abel, and Karl Belloch, as well as Georg Busolt, Fritz Geyer, Ulrich Wilcken, Helmuth Berve, Gustave Glotz, P. Roussel, P Pouquet, A Jarde, R Cohen, J. Bury,, St. Casson, W. Heurtley, D. Hogarth, J. de Waele are only a few of those.

Why, because of the Greek inscriptions? Ive already covered the shortcomings of such conclusions.

The most recent findings point out that the Macedonian tongue was a northwestern Greek dialect, this I gladly give to you.

A Greek dialect, nevertheless.

Just for arguments sake, my friend.

No, the most recent findings show that a northwestern Greek dialect was spoken in Macedonia.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 17:51

Where does he say that they were Doric Greeks? What he says is the Macedonians were pre-Dorians and related to Dorians, but he never says that they were Greeks

From your following statement I conclude you never read Herodus' s statements or you missinterpited his writtings.

Herod

"And inquiring he found that the Lacedemonians and the Athenians had the pre-eminence, the first of the Dorian and the others of the Ionian race. For these were the most eminent races in ancient time, the second being a Pelasgian and the first a Hellenic race:"

Herodotus clearly states that the Dorians were a Hellenic race by origin-There is no other possible interpitation.

"For in the days of king Defkalion it  inhabited the land of Phthiotis, then in the time of Doros, son of Hellin, the country called Histaeotis, under Ossa and Olympus; driven by the Cadmeians from this Histaeotis country it settled in Pindos with the name Makedon And inquiring he found that the Lacedemonians and the Athenians had the pre-eminence, the first of the Dorian and the others of the Ionian race. For these were the most eminent races in ancient time, the second being a Pelasgian and the first a Hellenic race:; thence again it migrated to Dryopida, and at last came from Dryopida into Peloponnissos, where it took the name Dorians"

Here Herodotus states that the Hellenic race took on different names in areas it migrated to .While in Pindus it referred to itself as MaKedon in the Peloponese it took the name Dorian.

Thus Herodotus makes it quite clear that the name Dorian Makedon ect  were different names that the original Hellenic race used in areas they settled.

Lets use your interpitation -That Macedonians were related to Dorians but not Greek

Since it is established that Herodotus refers to Dorians as the original Hellenic  and you interpit it to mean that the Macedonians though related to the Dorians but not Greek 

Dorians emerged from the Makedni and both were names that Herodotus associated  with the original Greek tribes then it would be virtually impossible for the Makedoni to be non Greek while the Dorians were Greek

Were  Teutons,Vandals ,Goths ect all Germanic tribes via relation ? Are their later decendents Prussians , Bavarians ,Saxons ect all German? Germany was not a country formally untill 1870 but we know that Prussians decendent from Teutonic peop[les are German

The name Germany was not used to describe a nation of Germanic peoples untill 1870 .Germanic political entities used different names to describe them selves such as Bavaria.The same is true with Hellas .That term was not used to describe Greek speaking people as a whole untill much later.

And what about Austrians ? We know they are Germanic peoples that are related to Germans but do not refer to their nation as Germany.

Herodotus referred to the Makedon as originally Hellenic as he did the Dorians.This is not debatable.

And in addition Herodotus states that most of the Peloponesians were Doric/Macedonian stock as I quoted earlier

Thus if the Makedon were not Greek then neither are the Peloponesians Corinthians Spartans ect

Were the Greeks including the Makedoni 100% pure ?Of course not .Herodotus points out that the Hellenic ethos increased in numbers by absorbing foreign nations.Pre Greek cultures in nthe Greek pennisula over time were aborbed by Greek peoples in much the same way Anglo Saxons absorbed Keltic,Roman,and earlier elements in what became England.

Herodotus makes his positions quite clear.I will respond to your other points later.

Edited by xxxx
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 21:58

Interesting replies Sharrukin... I'll have to deal with them later, because I've got little time for research and reading currently.

Only two points that do not need much reading (only common sense):

In previous posts you seem to imply that we can trace a great deal of data only from linguistical evidence. And there is this common notion (not a common fallacy, I assume) that names (be it names of people or of places) carry a whole lotta weight in the linguistics, as they show among many other things if "alien" intermixtures have occured - you are trying to prove that there was indeed a "Kurgan invasion" based almost 90% on linguistic evidence.

And here you proceed to disqualify a humangous pile of evidence, the Macedonian names, with a (simply wrong) argument of them being of the 4th century and on and the previous being mostly of kings...

I found this an extremely selective way of interpreting things... when it fits we use it, when it doesn't we discard it? Reminds me of how Gimbutas manipulated her evidence so she could prove her Kurgan theory

We have a very large body of Macedonian names at our disposal. Yes, the bulk of those (like 90%) are from the early 4th century and on. But I would assume - as every historian or linguist would assume - that if they were hellenized somewhere in the 6th century, as you imply, they would keep a vast body of their own names in a hellenized form.

Well, as I pointed out, only one single name we have for Macedonians, does not have Greek roots.

The rest (about 99.8%) are from Greek roots.

Care to explain how such a disrepancy (really, a blasphemy in the face of linguistics, if your theory about "hellenization" of the Macedonians is to be held of any value) has occured? It would be unique in the annals of history, you know.

Also, when I said that Karians, Thracians, Lydians and Lykians were hellenized, you said that they preserved their ethnic and linguistic identity (they didn't, but that's a whole different story and we can't discuss it as a side-issue) well into the Roman times... Well, we know that the hellenization of Karians, for instance, started in the 6th century BC. Herodotus himself was half-Karian.

If the national identity of the Karians, who began being hellenized from the 6th century BC, was not "complete"  "well into the Roman period and even into the Byzantine period" (that would be about 1.000 years at least, correct?), how on earth could the Macedonian be so thoroughly assimilated in a period of 2 centuries, just because some Greek colonies were founded in Macedonia, and leave us absolutely nothing (and I repeat: NOTHING) that speaks of a different cultural and ethnical and linguistical identity?

I mean, I don't believe the Greeks had any close connection with The Borg

You are being extremely inconsistent, my friend. That's not very scientific.

Ah, btw. allen cannot be interpreted as "elsewhere" (and it doesn't make any sense in that context - "Macedonia and elsewhere of Greece?" ) - that word is "allouthe".

Edited by Romano Nero
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 02:47
Only two points that do not need much reading (only common sense):

In previous posts you seem to imply that we can trace a great deal of data only from linguistical evidence. And there is this common notion (not a common fallacy, I assume) that names (be it names of people or of places) carry a whole lotta weight in the linguistics, as they show among many other things if "alien" intermixtures have occured - you are trying to prove that there was indeed a "Kurgan invasion" based almost 90% on linguistic evidence.

Utterly false.  What I'm implying is that a great deal of data can be gained from a combination of linguistic, archaeological, and historical data.  Names are simply only one of the linguistic hints we have in order to draw conclusions.   You seem to want to ignore that evidence.

And here you proceed to disqualify a humangous pile of evidence, the Macedonian names, with a (simply wrong) argument of them being of the 4th century and on and the previous being mostly of kings...

What I said, was that the "evidence" from the Greek names in Macedonia mostly date from the 4th century BC and afterwards.  What you ignore is the context of the evidence.  If I am "wrong" about the evidence prior to the 4th century BC, that the evidence is mostly that of the Macedonian kings, then give your evidence.

I found this an extremely selective way of interpreting things... when it fits we use it, when it doesn't we discard it? Reminds me of how Gimbutas manipulated her evidence so she could prove her Kurgan theory

I disagree that it is selective, but in the same token, I find it extremely selective when you quote passages, but when analysed in proper context prove nothing.  But okay, since you are jumping on Gimbutas, I want to know how she "manipulated" the evidence to "prove" her theory?

We have a very large body of Macedonian names at our disposal. Yes, the bulk of those (like 90%) are from the early 4th century and on. But I would assume - as every historian or linguist would assume - that if they were hellenized somewhere in the 6th century, as you imply, they would keep a vast body of their own names in a hellenized form.

Well, we do have the Hellenized names of places of non-Greek origin.  Perhaps Greek script arrived in Macedonia relatively late?  Or was it restricted to specific areas, or even to the Argeads themselves?  The Greek narrative evidence points to colonies established in Macedonian Pieria as late as the latter part of the 8th century BC.  Why don't we have evidence of Greek script from such an early period in this region?  So, just because they were Hellenized somewhere in the 6th century doesn't mean that there were be evidence of inscriptions of Hellenized names, or Greek inscriptions for that matter. 

Well, as I pointed out, only one single name we have for Macedonians, does not have Greek roots.

The rest (about 99.8%) are from Greek roots.

Care to explain how such a disrepancy (really, a blasphemy in the face of linguistics, if your theory about "hellenization" of the Macedonians is to be held of any value) has occured? It would be unique in the annals of history, you know.

The "discrepancy" is in the observable evidence, not in the reasoning.  You seem to ignore the context of your evidence.  It is mostly of 4th century date.  Where there should be much evidence prior to this is simply mostly not there.  This of necessity must beg the question.  Why is it mostly not there?  If it is "blasphemy" to think otherwise, I have justification to think so.  Even after the first Greek colonies were established there, it took another 200 years for Hellenization to take root.  It is only reasonable to assume that Greek script, to express either Greek or non-Greek presence only was adopted even later. 

Also, when I said that Karians, Thracians, Lydians and Lykians were hellenized, you said that they preserved their ethnic and linguistic identity (they didn't, but that's a whole different story and we can't discuss it as a side-issue) well into the Roman times... Well, we know that the hellenization of Karians, for instance, started in the 6th century BC. Herodotus himself was half-Karian.

The Carians were largely Hellenized beginning in an earlier period but the bulk of Hellenization only occurred begiining near the beginning in the 4th century BC.  The Lycians less so, and maintained their identity and autonomy even into the Roman period.  The Thracians maintained their identity until the arrival of the Slavs.  The Lydians weren't really Hellenized until the time of Alexander and Lydian continued to be expressed in inscriptions until the 1st century BC.   Whether Herodotus was half-Carian is irrelevant.  Halicarnassus, as well as other Dorian cities were established on formerly Carian land, in the pre-Archaic period.  However, the greater part of Caria really wasn't Hellenized until much later. 

If the national identity of the Karians, who began being hellenized from the 6th century BC, was not "complete"  "well into the Roman period and even into the Byzantine period" (that would be about 1.000 years at least, correct?),

Hmmm.  I should have been more specific in my descriptions, which I fixed above.

how on earth could the Macedonian be so thoroughly assimilated in a period of 2 centuries, just because some Greek colonies were founded in Macedonia, and leave us absolutely nothing (and I repeat: NOTHING) that speaks of a different cultural and ethnical and linguistical identity?

Now whose being selective?  I've already mentioned that the Greek colonies were established in a Macedonia which was ILLYRIAN in culture.  About 800 BC the Illyrian Glasinac Culture expanded from the east and established itself in the greater part of Macedonia including Vergina, the ancient Aegae, where the Macedonian royal house was said to have been established.  Macedonia remained Illyrian in culture until about 650 BC.   It was during this time that those already- mentioned Greek colonies were established.  So, please, DON'T call this "nothing" until you do your research, okay?  Thank you.

If you are going to accuse me, please attempt to understand my position in proper context, okay?  Again, thank you.

Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 03:46

Sharukin, why are you getting upset? I mean, I ain't Greek, you ain't "Macedonian", why are you getting so "passionate" about this escapes my mind... and your tone ain't improving either... I mean "do your research" is rather rude... and I could've said it to you a few times before (but didn't).

I am not trying to win an argument here, I am just trying to put forth the scientific data available so we, being rather intelligent people and quite knowledgeable, and not operating on one agenda or another, can draw some educated, scientific conclusions.

But you seem extremely fixed to the idea that Macedonians were non-Greeks and you carry on with your effort to disprove valid data on that claim.

I am not accusing you, I am just stating the obvious: that your sole effort is to disprove what I am writing, not to actually seek what is true.

In that context (since you mentioned it) you are still dodging my main question. Let me repeat it, in hope I will get a straight answer.

Cultures tend to preserve their names. A society, ethnic group or whatever, that has adopted a foreign culture, shall carry a host of names (be it of people, places etc.) through the "transformation". You can see that in many cultures that have adopted foreign cultures, one or another.

In the case of Macedonia, we have nothing like that. The hellenization theory doesn't stand the trial of scientific examination because

- No Macedonian names have non-Greek roots. That should be ample evidence enough. Yes, the bulk of the Macedonian names we have comes from the 4th century and on, but how come and people have not preserved some of their names in a hellenized form? Why only one single macedonian name (1=one=uno=ein=ena=1) has non-Greek roots? Don't dodge this with hellenization, we are talking about ROOTS - the Indo-european roots in the current IE languages are still tracable, 6000 years (according to others, 7, 8 or even 10.000 years) after the IE tribes have split... how can't we trace names and words of a culture that has been "assimilated" by a superior culture only a few decades ago?

- When does cultural assimilation occur. That is a rather funny beast. We have the supposed "Macedonians", a culture that you (and Borza) suggest that has Illyrian roots. Illyrian is, as you probably know, an umbrella term designed to cover a rather wide array of cultures that had little or nothing in common. Yet, the Macedonians were numerous, that many that their manpower was comparable with that of all southern city states. And you believe they were assimilated into the Greeks just because they neighbor Greece and because a number of Greek colonies was established there? Could you point out to other similar occurences in the historical annals? A large body of non-natives being assimilated to a (superior or not, doesn't really matter) foreign culture just because of proximity, when the numbers of the "lesser" culture are greater than those of the "assimilators"? I mean, there were dozens of Greek colonies and settlements in Illyricum, and Greek Epiros was bordering it... but it wasn't assimilated - never. Why did - their cusins, according to your interpretation - Macedonians got so thoroughly hellenized by two dozens of Greek colonies, so that in the 4th century they ALL consider themselves Greek? I repeat: last time I checked, the BORG was residing in the Star Treck universe, not in Ancient Balkans.

I was thinking that this is not a contest "outsmart the other guy", but actually an exchange of ideas, data and evidence, in order to seek some productive medium (if there is one).

Was I wrong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>